PDA

View Full Version : New Ballpark Security Rules

Fisk72
04-12-2002, 05:48 PM
Hey, were any of you guys in the upper deck and get denied trying to get to the lower concourse? I'd been planning all week to check out the hall of fame (one of my best parts of the ballpark) and go to the large store behind homeplate on the lower level. Plus, I wanted to see the new renovations they did there. Well anyway, I totally got rejected! What's the deal? Someone briefly mentioned that they're doing this now for security measures because of 9/11. Have any of you heard about this? I hope they eventually relax on this issue. Heck, if they don't want me spending my money on food and in the shops, then I don't konw what to say about Reinsdorf and others.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-12-2002, 06:04 PM
As a result of 9/11, There are some new regulations regarding the size of bags you're allowed to bring into the ballpark. However, that has nothing to do with upper deck fans not being allowed onto the main concourse.

Dave Wills mentioned the deck rules were going to be enforced for the home opener because of the large size of the crowd. At last year's opener, Sox security had trouble making it's way through the crowds lingering on the concourse to resolve "issues" in the seats.

Come back tomorrow (or practically any other game) and I'm sure you won't have a problem.

How were your seats?

MattSharp
04-12-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Dave Wills mentioned the deck rules were going to be enforced for the home opener because of the large size of the crowd. At last year's opener, Sox security had trouble making it's way through the crowds lingering on the concourse to resolve "issues" in the seats.

Isn't it amazing. The secutiry can't handle sellouts. Its a good think the part is usually only half full. I mean how can you justify that......

MarqSox
04-12-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

Isn't it amazing. The secutiry can't handle sellouts. Its a good think the part is usually only half full. I mean how can you justify that......

The better question is, how could you justify a full-size security force for a team that rarely gets even half capacity?

ilovemags30
04-12-2002, 07:12 PM
i was in the upper deck and i wasnt allowed on any other level. these new rules blow big butt chunks.. and they wouldent let me bring my purse in and i had to throw away my 2 for $1.00 apple pies from micky ds...GRRRRRR damn rules. but yea at least we won.. yay go mags and good job on homers..ray ray, sandy, and jose...WWWOOHOOOO!! well ill be on the lower level on sunday...woooohooooo!!! so yea imma see how it looks down there. yay on the sox win in the home opener!! but grr on the new rules.. and yay i got a pancho! :D:

Dadawg_77
04-12-2002, 07:13 PM
For any large crowd the sox only allow lower deck ticket holders access to the lower deck. Part of the reason is season tickets holders behind teh plate, filed complaints that the concession, bathroom lines were to long, and the OF concurse was packed with people. So instead of trying to fit 30,000 people in the lower half, the Sox just limit who can go where, they also did this at last years Sox-Cubs games.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-12-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
For any large crowd the sox only allow lower deck ticket holders access to the lower deck. Part of the reason is season tickets holders behind teh plate, filed complaints that the concession, bathroom lines were to long, and the OF concurse was packed with people. So instead of trying to fit 30,000 people in the lower half, the Sox just limit who can go where, they also did this at last years Sox-Cubs games.

Exactly. There wouldn't be a problem with crowd control if fans with upper deck tickets weren't crowding onto the lower deck concourse.

You can visit any deck you want unless the Sox sell enough tickets to approach the stadium's seating capacity. It's unfortunate that the last 5,000 seats in the ballpark are those crappy corner outfield upper deck seats that nobody likes to sit in.

:giangreco
"Everybody hates them, except me. I love 'em!"

Procol Harum
04-12-2002, 07:37 PM
Yeah, we got hosed on this score, too. I wish we could have known that before we went in, or that maybe they would've put a sign up near the escalator or something. We were upstairs a full hour before the game and wanted to wander around and see some of the renovations. So, we didn't get to see anything but the new center field batter's eye. How was the lower-level concourse and such? From what I saw of the Upper Deck they must've spent all the moolah elsewhere--couldn't JR spare a few thousand for paint and a little sprucing up of the johns? Oh, well--the baseball was mighty fine! A Sox winner! :D:

VeeckAsInWreck
04-12-2002, 07:43 PM
I had fun at this years opener but, I was told that the cooler my 9 year old brother had was two inches too big! I guess you need all the inches you can get when you get a near sell-out crowd! What the hell? They checked the cooler to make sure he didn't have anything illegal and then they said his bottles of water have to be in a see through bag!.....they know nothing is in there yet they give us a transparent bag! I guess you can't trust 9 year olds nowadays! I would have taken the cooler back to the car if I weren't parked 26 miles away!
And I too was bummed that we weren't allowed to the lower deck! I wanted to see the game behind the batter's eye screen but I guess I'll do that tommorrow! :smile:
Either way Sox WIN!
I'll compare tommorrow's attendance to the week after Easter at church! The real fans show up to game 2! :D:

Huisj
04-12-2002, 07:59 PM
then count me in as a real fan. i'll be there

cheeses_h_rice
04-13-2002, 03:38 PM
I found out firsthand about these new security rules, in that I wasn't allowed to bring in my black soft briefcase that I'd brought down with me on the El after I got off work. They pointed to a sign that says that the largest size bags allowed are now 8" x 8" (wow, that's very generous of MLB), with bigger diaper bags allowed. I said that I came down by myself and did not drive, so I had nowhere to put the bag, but they said I could go to Gate 4 to see if I could get an exception.

So, I'm standing there trying to explain my situation to the guy at Gate 4, and he says he can't make an exception, and that I'd either have to ask one of the concessionaires on 35th Street to hold the bag for me while I'm at the game (sure, that would work) or get rid of the bag. As I left, Rob Johnson from Channel 7 news came up to me and asked if he could interview me about what happened, so I told him. Then he asked what I would have liked the Sox to do more of before the game, and I said it would have been nice to know that such stringent rules were being put on what you can carry in; I told him I was a huge Sox fan and had no idea about the changes. I watched the 6pm news but I don't think my television debut happened last night (ah that's a shame). Never in a million years would I think a flimsy briefcase (10" x 12", maybe?) would be denied in.

So, I took out all the stuff I cared about in my briefcase, and ditched it in a bush. And, of course, 4 hours later someone had stolen it from the bush. I hope he enjoys my 3-year-old beat up Target briefcase, and finds some use for those checking deposit slips, spare vitamins, packets of Equal sweetener, and portable calculator that I left in the bag. No, really, I do.

Fisk72
04-13-2002, 06:37 PM
I can understand the issues regarding too many people on the lower concourse so I don't really have a problem with wanting to spread everyone out evenly. Then only think that irked me was that I really wanted to check out the sports shop and hall of fame right behind homeplate. I know there's a dinkey little shop on the upper deck, but I'm going crazy trying to find a replica '59 jersey. I'm not even sure if I'd find it there anyway. Either way, I guess I was pissed because they advertise all this stuff (shops/new concessions/renovations) yet there wasn't any way I could get to it. BTW, I'm a big fan of the batter's eye. It would just look even better if the walls/seats were also green. Maybe they'll change it sometime. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

foulkesfan11
04-13-2002, 06:52 PM
I was just angry about the purse thing. I had to carry my camera, cell phone, keys & everything else in my pockets the whole game. It made me very uncomfortable.

doublem23
04-13-2002, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I was there yesterday, and they wouldn't let me go down to the main concourse to hang out. Now I have to get bleacher tickets all year!

Konerkofan
04-15-2002, 11:23 AM
I think the purse thing and diaper bag thing is a little ridiculous
I had to throw everything in my pockets.

I also believe that if you buy an upper deck seat ticket, then that's where you should be if the park is over 25,000.
We pay good $ to sit down there when there's all the upper deck guys using our bathrooms, standing around so we can't get through.

Moses_Scurry
04-15-2002, 12:03 PM
I went to all three games. On Friday, they must have not done a great job keeping the people off the concourse because I still had to wait in very long lines for the bathroom.

On Saturday and Sunday I bought $12 upper deck tix and had no trouble getting good seats in the lower deck.

duke of dorwood
04-15-2002, 12:13 PM
Well, the management has succeeded in creating an second class feeling to those who sit upstairs by limiting improvements to the lower level. I am sure there are season ticket holders in the first few upper deck rows that do not like having their access limited. AND I wonder if people on the 300 level were restricted from the 100 level too. I dont like everyone packed into the lower level either. Some creature comforts should have been created upstairs too.

:reinsy

Hey you can sit there and still get a poncho, what do you want?

Procol Harum
04-15-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Well, the management has succeeded in creating an second class feeling to those who sit upstairs by limiting improvements to the lower level. .. I dont like everyone packed into the lower level either. Some creature comforts should have been created upstairs too.

As if we rank and file Sox fans didn't already know that we were second-class citizens compared to the corporate season ticket and skybox crowd, the "renovation gap" only exacerbates the problem. It is stunning how Sox management seems able to snatch public relations defeat from the jaws of victory in whatever they put their hand to in what on the face of it would appear to be a win-win situation. Next, they'll probably re-name the upper deck the "Lower-Middle Class Upper Reserved Terrace."

Spiff
04-15-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Konerkofan
I think the purse thing and diaper bag thing is a little ridiculous
I had to throw everything in my pockets.

I also believe that if you buy an upper deck seat ticket, then that's where you should be if the park is over 25,000.
We pay good $ to sit down there when there's all the upper deck guys using our bathrooms, standing around so we can't get through.

:whiner:

Moses_Scurry
04-15-2002, 12:57 PM
While I thought the new batters' eye was cool, it didn't really fit in with the rest of the park. At risk of Wrigleyfying it, I hope they are not finished with the outfield renovations. It doesn't matter to me however. I'd go to Sox games if they were played at an elementary school playground!