PDA

View Full Version : Foulke Returning

SBSoxFan
10-06-2007, 05:39 AM
I heard an interview with former White Sox closer Keith Foulke on AM1000 yesterday afternoon. He said that he's healthy again, and will have an open tryout soon. Apparently he had a bone spur removed from his pitching elbow which resulted in a change in mechanics to compensate for his knee problems.

This surprises me. Foulke never pitched for "the love of the game," so I figured, with the physical problems, he was done.

They asked if he had talked to KW since the Sox need some relievers for next year. His response was that MLB organizations would be invited to come see him throw in the near future.

Fenway
10-13-2007, 11:03 AM
:?:

Foulke considers comeback (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/10/13/foulke_planning_comeback)

Keith Foulke , a World Series hero for the Red Sox in 2004 who retired in February as an Indian, is planning a comeback

rowand33
10-13-2007, 06:09 PM
from rotoworld:

Free agent Keith Foulke is planning to pitch next year after having a bone spur in his elbow removed.

There was talk of this happening back in May and him then returning in the second half of the season. It didn't happen then, but he did go in for the surgery last month and he should be fully recovered for spring training. "He is definitely going to play next year," agent Danny Horwits. "He just needed to get healthy." Since there are so few quality relievers available this winter, it would be worth throwing $3 million or so at Foulke, even after a year off. Oct. 13 - 12:58 pm et
Source: Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/10/13/foulke_planning_comeback/)

If he's healthy, I want him. Look how good Percival was this year.

If he'd be content with a setup role, I'd love to him have. Rotoworld is right, there aren't quality relievers available.

chisoxmike
10-13-2007, 06:20 PM
I don't think he'd ever come back.

Didn't he throw winning the World Series with Boston in the Sox face in a post game interview that night or something?

Frater Perdurabo
10-13-2007, 07:31 PM
If he can get hitters out, I'd welcome him in the Sox bullpen. No harm in trying.

drewcifer
10-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Didn't he throw winning the World Series with Boston in the Sox face in a post game interview that night or something?

Yeah, I think I remember that too, Mike.

I really don't want him back.

nccwsfan
10-13-2007, 08:14 PM
I don't think he'd ever come back.

Circumstances can change in short time. It's one thing to be the closer on a world champion, it's another to do whatever is possible to latch on for one more run in the majors. If there is a fit I can see it happening.

HomeFish
10-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Keith Foulke is an ******* to everybody, not just us. During the 2005 ALDS when Boston was playing us and he was on the DL, he was seen at a Bruins game. When asked about it, he talked about how he hates baseball and only plays it so he can afford hockey tickets.

TheCommander
10-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Keith Foulke is an ******* to everybody, not just us. During the 2005 ALDS when Boston was playing us and he was on the DL, he was seen at a Bruins game. When asked about it, he talked about how he hates baseball and only plays it so he can afford hockey tickets.

Maybe he was speaking in teal? :dunno:

DumpJerry
10-13-2007, 10:20 PM

Maybe he was speaking in teal? :dunno:
Why? Actions speak louder than words. Even though he was on the DL, he was presumably in line for a WS Bonus. You'd think that would give him incentive to get to the ballpark to cheer on his teammates.

Daver
10-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Foulke and his gimmick pitch can stay elsewhere.

slavko
10-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Other teams' fans talk about the new prospects coming along for next year. We wax nostalgic for castoffs. Something needs to change.

MISoxfan
10-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Other teams' fans talk about the new prospects coming along for next year. We wax nostalgic for castoffs. Something needs to change.

You're right. Because we play a crucial role in the team's decisions.

Foulke You
10-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Foulke and his gimmick pitch can stay elsewhere.
Since when is a filthy changeup a "gimmick pitch"?:?: I'd classify Shingo Takatsu as more of a gimmick pitcher than Foulke was. Foulkey featured a 91 mph fastball, a wicked changeup, and a below avg slider that was more of a "show me" pitch.

I was always a fan of Keith Foulke and if he is truly healthy, I wouldn't mind having him coming out of our bullpen. Lord knows, we could use the help and there isn't a whole lot on the free agent market this coming year.

Frater Perdurabo
10-14-2007, 08:56 PM
I really don't care if he throws 99 or 59, but can he get hitters out? I also don't care if he's 29, 39, 19 or 69. If he can get hitters out, then I'd welcome him in the Sox bullpen.

The Dude
10-14-2007, 09:27 PM
If he can get hitters out, I'd welcome him in the Sox bullpen. No harm in trying.

He can't be any worse than MacDougal!

DumpJerry
10-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Keith Foulke is an ******* to everybody, not just us.
You know what, however? When he signed with Cleveland last year and realized he was too hurt to play, he did the honorable thing by retiring and not taking their money when he could have easily gone on the DL and gotten, IIRC, $5,000,000 from the Tribe for '07.

TheCommander
10-14-2007, 10:12 PM
You know what, however? When he signed with Cleveland last year and realized he was too hurt to play, he did the honorable thing by retiring and not taking their money when he could have easily gone on the DL and gotten, IIRC, $5,000,000 from the Tribe for '07.

And that would have bought A LOT of hockey tickets. :D:

FedEx227
10-14-2007, 10:43 PM

Thank you. Instead of talking about Gio Gonzalez we talk about bringing back Keith Foulke.

Instead of talking about Chris Carter, we droll at the thought of Aaron Rowand.

HomeFish
10-15-2007, 12:04 AM

The intent of my post was not so much to say "Keith Foulke = bad", it was rather "Keith Foulke doesn't hate the White Sox", which I tried to prove by pointing out that he's done ****ty things to other teams too.

For the record, I would not be opposed to having him back if he can get guys out, but I think he's only interested in contending teams, per an article that Fenway posted somewhere. So I don't see him coming back to the South Side.

Domeshot17
10-15-2007, 01:40 AM
Thank you. Instead of talking about Gio Gonzalez we talk about bringing back Keith Foulke.

Instead of talking about Chris Carter, we droll at the thought of Aaron Rowand.

Most teams have a half decent farm, we have one of the worst in the league.

I don't think they want to put Gio in the pen, we keep striking out with making starting pitchers into RP to start their career. Massett, Brandon, Sisco, Floyd, Im tired of this throw enough **** on the wall and something is bound to stick approach.

I don't want a team full of prospects. I want young kids who can play playing, and the ones who can't not. I want SOLID arms in the pen who can get guys out, be it rookies or veterans. I don't want guys who can throw 96 and not have a clue where its going. I want guys who have a feel for their pitches and don't walk 2 guys then throw a meat fastball on 3-1 for a double or homer.

If Foulke can pitch with control and get guys out and get us from the 8th inning to Jenks in the 9th with the lead, sign him up. I would rather swallow my pride and win then run the crap we have out there and blow leads. We have been doing it for 2 years, enough of that.

SBSoxFan
10-15-2007, 08:08 AM

I've heard Foulke say he plays baseball for the money, and that he doesn't particularly care for it as a sport. While, as a fan, I can't understand that, I respect him being up front about it.

BPNumber19
10-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Might be an upgrade on MacdDougal, Thornton, Sisco, Aardsma, Bukvich, Day, and all the other losers out there! Only kidding! He's not the answer.

chisoxfanatic
10-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Might be an upgrade on MacdDougal, Thornton, Sisco, Aardsma, Bukvich, Day, and all the other losers out there! Only kidding! He's not the answer.
Yea, and while we're at it, bring back Dustin Hermanson, Cliff Polite, and Neal Cotts.

DumpJerry
10-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Yea, and while we're at it, bring back Dustin Hermanson, Cliff Polite, and Neal Cotts.
Hermy is out with a bad back.

MarkyBear
10-16-2007, 07:05 PM
I met Foulke at an autograph signing back in 2000, he seemed pretty cool to me...

He even joked about the fact that I had Harold Baines autograph on the ball I wanted him to sign, ironic how the Sox reacquired Baines a short time after that...

Of course I was the only one there at the time, so not sure if that's why or not...

SouthSide2Ship
10-17-2007, 12:23 AM
The first place I went when I got my drivers license was to meet keith foulke. It was at scotts pet shop in westchester. (Someone stole the hat he signed for me.) Anyway, he was real nice and actually brought his dog to the signing given the location. I don't care about any of the crap about him not caring about baseball, if he can get outs I want him on this upcoming years squad. Love for him to be playing at home on the South Side this year.

ode to veeck
10-17-2007, 10:43 AM
I just don't see Foulke being effective again. His palm ball worked well when he could just about hit mid 90s with his faster pitches, but when his velocity dropped, he was a fairly bad two pitch fireman. Sure our pen needs help, but I don't think its Foulke, even though he did have some great years here several years back.