PDA

View Full Version : Which Team Can Come Back?

DoItForDanPasqua
10-05-2007, 11:52 PM
All four series are 2-0. Which team that is down has the best chance of coming back? I'm taking the Angels because the others seem extremely unlikely.

The Indians have too much pitching for the Yankees to beat them three times in a row, the Rockies are on fire and I don't think that the Phillies are that good. The Cubs are the Cubs, they would lose that series if they were up 2-0.

HomeFish
10-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Cubs have cupcake pitching matchups in Game 3 and Game 4. I think they can easily take it to 2-2, and then all they'd need is a bad night from Webb, which is possible.

It's tougher for the Angels because they have two good pitchers to face again, rather than just one. Yankees and Phillies are hopeless at this point.

Nellie_Fox
10-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Cubs have cupcake pitching matchups in Game 3 and Game 4. I think they can easily take it to 2-2
Your credibility on this series has been firmly established.

Scottiehaswheels
10-06-2007, 12:07 AM
I'd take Owings on our staff in a heartbeat....

Hendu
10-06-2007, 12:07 AM
When's the last time the Cubs won 3 in a row against a good team? I don't see them coming back.

The Phillies are dead, and the Rockies are on fire. Done.

The Angels will have to face Beckett again, if they can somehow even it up. Ouch.

The Yankees are the Yankees, and we've all seen Cleveland go ice cold in a big situation. I'll give the Yanks the best shot. Though it's not going to be easy.

Hitmen77
10-06-2007, 12:08 AM
I'd say all but the Phillies because the other 3 teams are going to play 2 games at home now.

Of the 4, it seems like the Phillies are the ones in the toughest spot down 2-0 and now having to go on the road.

Viva Medias B's
10-06-2007, 12:23 AM
HomeFish picked the Cubs in this poll. I am completley shocked.

RadioheadRocks
10-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Where's the option calling for "none of the above"/"there will be four three-game sweeps"??? :D:

DoItForDanPasqua
10-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Cubs have cupcake pitching matchups in Game 3 and Game 4. I think they can easily take it to 2-2, and then all they'd need is a bad night from Webb, which is possible.

It's tougher for the Angels because they have two good pitchers to face again, rather than just one. Yankees and Phillies are hopeless at this point.

The Cubs have the matchup tomorrow, but I wonder about Zambrano on short rest. Even the best pitchers, in this era, have struggled when pitching on three days rest.

TDog
10-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Cubs have cupcake pitching matchups in Game 3 and Game 4. I think they can easily take it to 2-2, and then all they'd need is a bad night from Webb, which is possible. ...

By cupcake pitching matchup, do you mean Lilly pitching against someone you've never heard of? How easy was it for the Cubs to win Game 2?

It's not all about pitching matchups, by the way. If it were, there wouldn't have been any reason for Nick Masset to start against Carlos Zambrano.

I don't think any division series will go five games.

SoxSpeed22
10-06-2007, 12:41 AM
None of them come back.
The Rockies are playing too damn well, the Phillies pitching won't hold up.
The Diamondbacks are outplaying the Cubs, the top of the order isn't producing.
The Red Sox are too good, this was the Angels only chance of winning a game, now Guerrero might be out.
The Yankees are probably the only team with a chance, but Cleveland will convert on those opportunities.

ChiSoxFan35
10-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Yankees! Home, two pitchers their offense can hit, and coming off of handling Cleveland in the regular season. Plus they have veterans who know how to act, many members of this same team have already pulled the 'lose the first 2 and then win 3 straight game' against the A's! But that time they lost at home first!

After winning 6 vs Cle, why is it far fetched to win another 3 straight now. Not easy, but they are my best chance

ChiSoxFan35
10-06-2007, 12:59 AM
By cupcake pitching matchup, do you mean Lilly pitching against someone you've never heard of? How easy was it for the Cubs to win Game 2?

It's not all about pitching matchups, by the way. If it were, there wouldn't have been any reason for Nick Masset to start against Carlos Zambrano.

I predicted Arizona having that game since Davis is one of those soft throwing lefties they are known to have trouble against and he already beat them last month (same matchup).

Livan though is a chump. I can see the Cubs winning Sat with their offense coming alive, then the hysteria will be back as they will all pull the 'comeback'/'believe' garbage, and then they will be beat by Owings or Webb

Domeshot17
10-06-2007, 02:08 AM
I said Philly for a few reasons.

(1) F the Cubs haha. Actually, it will be tough for him. Hill has been good, but you are taking a young pitcher who is making his post season debut at home with angry fans and his team grasping for life. You put himself against a veteran who, while struggling during the year, is craft and fearless in the playoffs, and its not a bad match up. Plus Zambrano and Lilly both really struggled off 3 days rest during the year.

(2) Boston is too strong to lose 3 in a row, need I say anything more?

(3) I dont see NYY beating CC in game 5, but I could see the series going 2-2.

When you think of the most beatable team in the playoffs, you have to think Colorado. They have a great O, but man, there 1-2 is Jeff Francis and Josh Fogg. They are red hot, but when Red Hot teams lose, they can often times collapse. Mix that in with a Philly team who had a great come back over new york, and has some world series veteran leadership in Rowand Flash Gordon Moyer etc. and things could turn around, this is not a team packing it in. Also going to coors to get guys like Howard Utley and Burrell going may not be a bad thing. I know the Rockies are hot, but if you can cut them in games 3 and 4, and force a game 5 at home, you can beat them.

Hendu
10-06-2007, 02:51 AM
Domeshot, you've got a good point. The Rockies are a strange team. They're so hot that they can just run through this thing, but on the other hand 1 or 2 losses in a row and the wheels can completely fall off. Kind of like the Indians in 2005; the hottest team in MLB for over a month, then Grady Sizemore loses a flyball in the sun and everything changes.

However, I think they'll still beat the Phillies.

Grzegorz
10-06-2007, 04:50 AM
When's the last time the Cubs won 3 in a row against a good team? I don't see them coming back.

When the last out is recorded then I'll believe the Cubs are dead and buried. Until then I expect them to make a series of it.

(Never have I hoped to be so wrong as to endure endless hectoring by my peers here at WSI!)

Fenway
10-06-2007, 10:06 AM
All 4 LDS series are at 2-0 which is surprising. Which of the teams on the brink ( if any ) have the best chance to come back?

I think if Philadelphia can win tonight they will win the series. The Rockies are overdue to turn back into a pumpkin.

drewcifer
10-06-2007, 10:18 AM
All 4 LDS series are at 2-0 which is surprising. Which of the teams on the brink ( if any ) have the best chance to come back?

I think if Philadelphia can win tonight they will win the series. The Rockies are overdue to turn back into a pumpkin.

I think the Phillies and Cubs are done. They are simply over matched.

If anyone can do it, it's the Yankees but I hope they don't.

Fenway
10-06-2007, 10:25 AM
I think the Phillies and Cubs are done. They are simply over matched.

If anyone can do it, it's the Yankees but I hope they don't.

The Yankees have come back from 0-2 before but that was against Oakland who everybody comes back from 0-2.

Well they have the $28 million dollar man up next :rolleyes:

nyyfans.com is not a happy place this morning

Its been a fight all season long, its only fitting then (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=106846)

Poll: Joba Chamberlain and The Bugs (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=106858)

Different Year, Same Result: Our vaunted offense dissapears in the playoffs (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=106844)

getonbckthr
10-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Philly - I say no because they are the only team on the road. You got beat up at home what makes them think they can take both on the road?
Cubs -Suppose to be warm with the wind blowing out this weekend. That highly favors the Cubs. 1 of 2 things happen today they score 0 or they score 8+. I'm says Arizona in 5.
Yankees - Could we be seeing the final days of Arod, Posada, Rivera, Giambi and Joe Torre in Yankee pinstripes? I almost get the feeling Cleveland will sweep then the Yankees will crumble. It might a couple seasons of a Yankee rebuild starting tommorow. There just isn't the talent to buy this offseason.
Angels - This team looks beat up. I think they will win Sunday but Boston will end it in 4.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-06-2007, 10:48 AM
When the last out is recorded then I'll believe the Cubs are dead and buried. Until then I expect them to make a series of it.

(Never have I hoped to be so wrong as to endure endless hectoring by my peers here at WSI!)

God I hope you're wrong. After the hell that I gave Cub fans at work after game two, I may have to move to Canada where hockey is king.

Fenway
10-06-2007, 10:54 AM
sorry I didn't see the other poll

please delete or merge

Johnny Mostil
10-06-2007, 11:15 AM
None of them come back.
The Rockies are playing too damn well, the Phillies pitching won't hold up.
The Diamondbacks are outplaying the Cubs, the top of the order isn't producing.
The Red Sox are too good, this was the Angels only chance of winning a game, now Guerrero might be out.
The Yankees are probably the only team with a chance, but Cleveland will convert on those opportunities.

This seems about right to me, especially in the NL.

Something I was too stupid to look up until after the LDS started was the record of the West against the rest of the NL. Every team in that division had a winning (intra-league) record outside it. By contrast, the only NL team outside the division to have a winning record against the West was the Braves.

Fenway
10-06-2007, 11:27 AM
The game of the weekend is tomorrow night in the Bronx.

If the Yankees bats continue to stay silent ( especially A-Rod ) that could be one ugly stadium.

A Yankees loss in this series means

Joe Torre is gone

A-Rod is gone

Cashman maybe gone

oeo
10-06-2007, 11:38 AM

The Cubs had the pitching matchup in Game 2, as well...how did that work out? Rich Hill had a 5.08 ERA in September, and somehow I'm doubting he will be able to handle the pressure unless the Cubs offense gives him a big lead early (and at this point, that doesn't seem likely).

And BTW, I like Micah Owings (who really only had a bad July which is skewing his numbers) matching up with Zambozo on three days rest, if it comes to that.

TommyJohn
10-06-2007, 11:41 AM
God I hope you're wrong. After the hell that I gave Cub fans at work after game two, I may have to move to Canada where hockey is king.

You obviously never heard the old saying about not counting your chickens.

vegyrex
10-06-2007, 11:48 AM

Haha, thats why I'm waiting until the last out is made of this series to start gloating at Cub fans. :D:

Please Arizona finish it today.

Fenway
10-06-2007, 11:50 AM

Hell can freeze over just ask the 2004 Yankees

http://crawdaddycove.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/hell-freezes-over-04.jpg

nccwsfan
10-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Playing a few games in the Bronx Zoo can turn the momentum around in a heartbeat- my vote goes to the Yankees.

The Cubs have a mild shot (won't happen, but feasibly could), and the Angels & Phillies look to be done.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-06-2007, 03:41 PM
I doubt any of them will do it, but the only ones I'd like to see some back are the Angels. To have Boston, NYY and the Cubs all exit in the first round would be sweet.

chisoxmike
10-06-2007, 04:56 PM
The Yankees I think can, but they won't.

WhiteSoxJunkie
10-08-2007, 06:58 PM
The Yankees were the only team to force a Game 4, so they were the correct choice.