PDA

View Full Version : Cub fans believe THEY will be the ones to turn the series around.

JermaineDye05
10-05-2007, 01:17 PM
So I was driving home last night from the SP concert and decided to listen to the last inning of the Cubs game just to hear Santo wine. After the Cubs finally lost I wanted to hear what some of the senseless Cub fans had to say about tonight and the rest of the series. To my surprise there were some smart callers, one said the Cubs didn't even deserve to be in the playoffs another said the Cubs don't have that good of a team and have a lot of holes which are being exploited right now. However, the majority decided that the series was going to turn around since the series was headed to wrigley 'home of the greatest fans ever' and that the D-Backs 'would not be able to handle the crowds and the series would turn around then'. I don't think the 'greatest fans' will change the fact that the Cubs don't have that good of a team but they can dream can't they? :rolleyes:

It's Time
10-05-2007, 01:28 PM
So I was driving home last night from the SP concert and decided to listen to the last inning of the Cubs game just to hear Santo wine. After the Cubs finally lost I wanted to hear what some of the senseless Cub fans had to say about tonight and the rest of the series. To my surprise there were some smart callers, one said the Cubs didn't even deserve to be in the playoffs another said the Cubs don't have that good of a team and have a lot of holes which are being exploited right now. However, the majority decided that the series was going to turn around since the series was headed to wrigley 'home of the greatest fans ever' and that the D-Backs 'would not be able to handle the crowds and the series would turn around then'. I don't think the 'greatest fans' will change the fact that the Cubs don't have that good of a team but they can dream can't they? :rolleyes:

Yes, I heard this, too! I heard this 1st call of the PG show and that was the fan who said that the Cubs just are not a deep team aNd they are being exposed in the playoffs. He said something along the lines of the Cubs should thank their lucky stars that they even made the playoffs thanks to the weak NLC.

See, now THAT is a Cubs fans who deserves kudos. The REAL Cubs fans know that their team:

1. Does not have a deep rotation. (Hence the need to go to a 3 man rotation in the playoffs).

2. Have an incredibly weak outfield. When you have to rely On Jacque Jones and Matt Murton, you are in a world of hurt.

In the end, that is not a recipe for moving on in October.

itsnotrequired
10-05-2007, 01:32 PM

The Diamondbacks took 2 of 3 from the Cubs earlier this season at Wirgley. On a weekend, no less.

Maybe the "great crowds" forgot to show up for that series...

HomeFish
10-05-2007, 01:34 PM
After all, being surrounded by Cub fans was essential to their victory in Games 6 and 7 of the 2003 NLCS. Just ask Moises Alou.

Mr.1Dog
10-05-2007, 01:35 PM
After all, being surrounded by Cub fans was essential to their victory in Games 6 and 7 of the 2003 NLCS. Just ask Moises Alou.

Zing!

WizardsofOzzie
10-05-2007, 02:02 PM
You expected rational thought?

Viva Medias B's
10-05-2007, 02:18 PM
The dumb callers are going after Boers because he said the losses weren't Piniella's fault. Terry blamed the players.

FJA
10-05-2007, 02:23 PM

The world's greatest fans will turn into a liability as soon as the Cubs fail to go up 5-0 in the first inning. That is, unless the Cubs are quick out of the gates, that crowd is going to get nastier with each Cubs strikeout and Diamondbacks hit. I expect we will see several of the signature Wrigley Field warning track trash delays.

Iwritecode
10-05-2007, 02:24 PM
The dumb callers are going after Boers because he said the losses weren't Piniella's fault. Terry blamed the players.

You mean it's actually the performance of the players on the field that dictates whether a team wins or loses? It has nothing to do with the manager, GM, owner, crowd noise, payroll, curses or superstitious rituals?

:o:

eriqjaffe
10-05-2007, 02:35 PM
the majority decided that the series was going to turn around since the series was headed to wrigley 'home of the greatest fans ever' and that the D-Backs 'would not be able to handle the crowds and the series would turn around then'. I don't think the 'greatest fans' will change the fact that the Cubs don't have that good of a team but they can dream can't they? :rolleyes:I thought the crowds in Arizona were 83% Cub fans anyways, right?

Foulke You
10-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Cubs fans always blame the manager. Always. There is a reason they have gone through 1000 managers in the last 20 years. The fans (and eventually the media) always run them out of town. Yet, the Cubs continue to lose.

itsnotrequired
10-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Cubs fans always blame the manager. Always. There is a reason they have gone through 1000 managers in the last 20 years. The fans (and eventually the media) always run them out of town. Yet, the Cubs continue to lose.

NINETEEN different managers since the Tribune Co. bought the team.

PatK
10-05-2007, 03:05 PM
If you REALLY want to see/hear some comedy gold, go to the Cubune web site and check out the "Cubs Fans give their advice for Game 3" video.

Iwritecode
10-05-2007, 03:11 PM
NINETEEN different managers since the Tribune Co. bought the team.

And not a single one has gone on to have a decent managerial career after leaving the Cubs.

Maybe the Cubs just happen to find really bad managers? :?:

jackbrohamer
10-05-2007, 03:34 PM
And not a single one has gone on to have a decent managerial career after leaving the Cubs.

I think the Cubness destroys managers as human beings, like a loathsome disease. Dusty Baker, Don Baylor and many others had solid reputations before they came here, but left town as broken men.

Brian26
10-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Yes, the Shrine will give them a homefield advantage just like the '87 and '91 Twins got at the HHH Dome. :rolleyes:

hsnterprize
10-05-2007, 04:06 PM

Maybe the Cubs just happen to find really bad managers? :?:Think about this...2003 was Dusty Baker's 1st year with the team, and he led the Cubs to the playoffs. 3 years later, he was run out of town.

This is Piniella's first year with the Cubs. Watch what happens with them next season. Will there be the "pressure meltdown" the 2004 Cubs experienced? I'm thinking it will happen, and soon after, Lou is gone.

kba
10-05-2007, 04:27 PM

Amazingly, of the 19 guys who've managed the Cubs in the Tribune-era, only two ever managed another major league game after they left - Lefebvre for one season in Milwaukee and Elia for a couple years in Philadelphia.

For comparison, in the same time period, the Sox have had seven managers - and LaRussa, Fregosi, Torborg, and Lamont all found gainful employment managing other teams afterward.

chisoxfanatic
10-05-2007, 05:51 PM

:roflmao:

2003 WAS their chance to win it all, and they blew it! They know it, we know it, and nothing's gonna change about that, unless the apocolypse comes. Speaking of the apocolypse, I heard the Bible recently added another chapter to the Book of Revelation, which states that, in the event the Cubs do win it all, it will be the last of the "signs" this world will recieve! :cool:

I bet they're still jealous that we and Red Sox fans don't have to deal with droughts anymore, especially since it came in successive years immediately following their collapse.

RadioheadRocks
10-05-2007, 08:18 PM

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/pwned-48495.jpg

Grzegorz
10-05-2007, 08:42 PM
2003 WAS their chance to win it all, and they blew it!

No, 2007 is their chance to win it all. There's always a chance until that last out is recorded.

WSox597
10-05-2007, 08:46 PM
It should be interesting tomorrow if they lose.

They're probably warming up the garbage right now just in case.

"World's Greatest Fans"

"The Shrine"

GMAB already.

The Cub fans I work with are being really quiet, which is a nice change. One of them actually started complaining about the play at home plate in the Rockies-Padres game.

Of course, Barrett was involved in that one. This guy actually said that if the Rockies go all the way, that's the play that people would be talking about.

Maybe at Wrigley Field, or one of the bars up there. Because by next week there won't be anyone in Wrigley Field.

DumpJerry
10-05-2007, 11:06 PM
All the D-backs have to do tomorrow is stay close until late in the game. The World Greatest Baseball fans leave after Last Call after the 7th to continue their drinking across the street. Priorities.

I took a friend of mine to the last Sox game of the season (seems like a million years ago already) who frequently gets dragged to company outings at Wrigley. She commented to me that she sees much less drinking at Comiskey than Wrigley. Much less. Despite the fact that the beer vendors at Comiskey seem to be constantly pouring. She told me that the beer vendors at Wrigley always run out on one trip down a section whereas the Comiskey vendors seem to last two or three trips up and down the stairs before they run out of beer.