PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-6

Lip Man 1
10-05-2007, 11:26 AM
October 6, 1905 - The Sox lose the pennant on the next to last day of the season when pitcher Guy"Doc" White cant beat the bottom feeding St. Louis Browns. White and the Sox lose 6 - 2 which hands the flag to the Philadelphia Athletics. The Sox would finish the season two games off the pace.

October 6, 1908 - The Sox lose the pennant on the last day of the season whenTy Cobband Detroit win the decisive game 7 - 0. Guy "Doc" White again was the pitcher of record, only this time he may have had an excuse. He was working on two days rest having beaten the Tigers 3 - 1 on October 4th.

October 6, 1909 - Architect Zachary Taylor Davis submits his design for a new ballpark on the South Side to owner Charles Comiskey.

October 6, 1959- At the mammoth L.A. Coliseum, which was the temporary home of the Dodgers, the White Sox play "small ball" in Game #5 of the World Series. They beat Sandy Koufax 1 - 0 to stay alive, cutting L.A.s lead to three games to two. The only Sox run scores on a double play ground ball but it turns out to be enough. The Sox become the first team in World Series history to have three pitchers combine for a shut out (Bob Shaw, Billy Pierce, Dick Donovan). Alas the Dodgers mangle the Sox in Game #6 to win the series four games to two. (Some of the Sox who played in that series, Pierce, Jim Landis and Shaw talk about their memories of it in their interviews with White Sox Interactive.)

October 6, 2000 - Another dramatic and fantastic season is ruined as the Sox fall apart and lose the divisional series in three straight games to the Mariners. The Ms clinch the series despite a heroic effort from pitcher James Baldwin. JB, pitching with a bad arm, holds the Mariners to one run on three hits in six innings. Seattle scores the series clinching run in the 2 - 1 win on a suicide squeeze from Carlos Guillen in the 9th inning. Replays showed him clearly out of the batters box on the bunt attempt, but Sox manager Jerry Manuel never protested the play. During the series, the Sox run their home post season losing streak to nine games in a row, dating back to the 1959 World Series. The all time big league record for home post season futility is ten straight, set by the Phillies.

http://i23.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/d1/9b/08_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-Topps-Heritage-110-White-Sox-James-Baldwin_W0QQitemZ5184306679QQihZ002QQcategoryZ5595 1QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotoho sting)

Lip

Zisk77
10-05-2007, 12:32 PM
October 6, 1905 - The Sox lose the pennant on the next to last day of the season when pitcher Guy"Doc" White cant beat the bottom feeding St. Louis Browns. White and the Sox lose 6 - 2 which hands the flag to the Philadelphia Athletics. The Sox would finish the season two games off the pace.

October 6, 1908 - The Sox lose the pennant on the last day of the season whenTy Cobband Detroit win the decisive game 7 - 0. Guy "Doc" White again was the pitcher of record, only this time he may have had an excuse. He was working on two days rest having beaten the Tigers 3 - 1 on October 4th.

October 6, 1909 - Architect Zachary Taylor Davis submits his design for a new ballpark on the South Side to owner Charles Comiskey.

October 6, 1959- At the mammoth L.A. Coliseum, which was the temporary home of the Dodgers, the White Sox play "small ball" in Game #5 of the World Series. They beat Sandy Koufax 1 - 0 to stay alive, cutting L.A.s lead to three games to two. The only Sox run scores on a double play ground ball but it turns out to be enough. The Sox become the first team in World Series history to have three pitchers combine for a shut out (Bob Shaw, Billy Pierce, Dick Donovan). Alas the Dodgers mangle the Sox in Game #6 to win the series four games to two. (Some of the Sox who played in that series, Pierce, Jim Landis and Shaw talk about their memories of it in their interviews with White Sox Interactive.)

October 6, 2000 - Another dramatic and fantastic season is ruined as the Sox fall apart and lose the divisional series in three straight games to the Mariners. The Ms clinch the series despite a heroic effort from pitcher James Baldwin. JB, pitching with a bad arm, holds the Mariners to one run on three hits in six innings. Seattle scores the series clinching run in the 2 - 1 win on a suicide squeeze from Carlos Guillen in the 9th inning. Replays showed him clearly out of the batters box on the bunt attempt, but Sox manager Jerry Manuel never protested the play. During the series, the Sox run their home post season losing streak to nine games in a row, dating back to the 1959 World Series. The all time big league record for home post season futility is ten straight, set by the Phillies.

http://i23.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/d1/9b/08_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-Topps-Heritage-110-White-Sox-James-Baldwin_W0QQitemZ5184306679QQihZ002QQcategoryZ5595 1QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotoho sting)

Lip

Lip I blieve replay showed that Guilleb actually had stepped on the plate while contacting the ball (which is an out) rather then being out of the batter's box. In all fairness to Capt. Chaos that not something you would likely notice from the dugout.

But as always, really enjoy the nostalgic trips, especially when some of the OCT. memories are of 05.:D:

keep coming Lip.

Lip Man 1
10-05-2007, 04:15 PM
By out of the box I mean he stepped over (or as you put it on the plate) the batter's box lines.

It's just a question of semantics.

But I appreciate the feedback.

That brings up a question which I don't have an answer for...maybe someone else does.

Do they have TV's in the dugout's or someplace near where a manager can watch a feed? In this case I recall ESPN showing numerous replay's. If Manager Gandhi had a set near perhaps he still could have protested the play.

Lip

BRDSR
10-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Do they have TV's in the dugout's or someplace near where a manager can watch a feed? In this case I recall ESPN showing numerous replay's. If Manager Gandhi had a set near perhaps he still could have protested the play.

Lip

Would that be a television set, or a set of...aw, nevermind. Those were definitely the most miserable four days of my freshman year of high school.

chisox77
10-05-2007, 07:44 PM
The history of the White Sox will improve dramatically as October moves along, thanks to 2005 . . .

:cool:

Brian26
10-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Replays showed him clearly out of the batters box on the bunt attempt, but Sox manager Jerry Manuel never protested the play.
Lip

Nothing was going to overturn that umpire's decision after the Mariners rushed the field and Safeco was going crazy. There's nothing Manuel could have done there, and he didn't have the benefit of a television monitor in the dugout. The better team won that series.

downstairs
10-06-2007, 09:00 AM
That brings up a question which I don't have an answer for...maybe someone else does.

Lip

Good question- I'd really like to know that. Maybe Fenway knows??

PaleHoseGeorge
10-06-2007, 09:10 AM

There was something truly heroic about the way Baldwin pitched that season, and stepping up to pitch Game 3 of the ALDS in the manner he did should have earned JB a lot of respect in Chicago.

But he pitches for the Sox so he is mostly ignored.

Zisk77
10-06-2007, 04:54 PM
I don't think they are allowed to have tv's in the dugout as it would be too easy to steal signs from the cacther etc.