PDA

View Full Version : Cubs ratings down 38% from 2003

Fenway
10-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Ed Sherman reports

You could look at it a couple of ways. Either a number of Cubs fans have switched their alliances to the White Sox since 2003, or the combination of putting a playoff game exclusively on cable and starting it at 9 p.m. resulted in a big drop in the local ratings

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-071004sherman,1,2430844.column?coll=cs-home-headlines (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-071004sherman,1,2430844.column?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Nationally ratings are up over last year

With later start times and the presence of several big-market teams, baseball drew higher television ratings than last year on the opening day of the playoffs. The three games Wednesday on TBS averaged 4.54 million viewers, up from 4.48 million for two contests on cable and one on network TV in 2006. The Red Sox-Angels matchup at 6:30 p.m. attracted 5.46 million viewers, more than double the audience for the 4 p.m. game between San Diego and St. Louis on ESPN last season .

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/10/05/lofton_is_continuing_his_quest_for_that_elusive_ri ng/ (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/10/05/lofton_is_continuing_his_quest_for_that_elusive_ri ng/)

Lip Man 1
10-05-2007, 11:30 AM
That's the ratings just for the post season games.

A few days ago Ed had the regular season numbers which showed (as expected) the Cubs were up a lot (I want to say 38%) while the Sox were down from 2006 a lot.

Lip

Fenway
10-05-2007, 11:34 AM
That's the ratings just for the post season games.

A few days ago Ed had the regular season numbers which showed (as expected) the Cubs were up a lot (I want to say 38%) while the Sox were down from 2006 a lot.

Lip

I think it shows the folly of NOT having the games on free TV in the home markets especially in Chicago where games are on free tv during the season.

Boston ratings were not affected as games are not on free tv to begin with anymore ( except for 8 Fox games )

spiffie
10-05-2007, 11:39 AM
I think it shows the folly of NOT having the games on free TV in the home markets especially in Chicago where games are on free tv during the season.

Boston ratings were not affected as games are not on free tv to begin with anymore ( except for 8 Fox games )
No matter who is playing when a team is starting at 10PM on the East coast, and 9PM in Chicago, the ratings will not be the same as if they were starting at 8E/7C. Especially for a program that will go until possibly 1AM.

chaerulez
10-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Putting the games on cable takes away at least half a million households in the area. The late start probably puts off some casual fans. I don't think their has been a decrease in "hardcore" Cubs fans.

Moses_Scurry
10-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Does anyone really not have cable or satellite by now??? Do people still have the huge antennas on their roofs and have to climb up to readjust it if the channels aren't coming in well?

tebman
10-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Does anyone really not have cable or satellite by now??? Do people still have the huge antennas on their roofs and have to climb up to readjust it if the channels aren't coming in well?

No climbing on the roof. Just on the tree.

http://www.rexresearch.com/tate/00fig17.jpg

WizardsofOzzie
10-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Some people can't afford to pay $30 or $40 a month for cable or satellite

Fenway
10-05-2007, 12:42 PM

especially a lot of seniors that have "cable" but it is only the broadcast channels and access

no excuse for playoff games not being over the air

champagne030
10-05-2007, 12:48 PM

I thought I read earlier this week that TBS was in 85% of Chicago metro area homes.

chisoxmike
10-05-2007, 12:50 PM
What do you expect? It's not in HD. The games can not be watched.

:redneck

rocky biddle
10-05-2007, 01:10 PM

I'd love to pay $40 for cable. My bill's freaking outrageous, and I don't even have HD. We'll see if this a la carte thing comes to pass. If I payed by the channel my bill would be about 3 bucks.

Back to the topic at hand, I can't believe they put the cubs on so late. I figured they jump at the chance to talk about all the various curses and hardships that've hampered that long-suffering franchise in prime time.

Moses_Scurry
10-05-2007, 02:06 PM
My mother pays for the most basic of basic cable and it's only $15 a month I think. She doesn't get many more channels than she would get without cable though.

FielderJones
10-05-2007, 02:12 PM

Yes, yes, and no. Whoever set up the huge antenna on my roof did a good job. All the over-the-air HD and digital comes in splendidly, except for CBS2 which sometimes has problems. They have the worst engineers in Chicago.

kjhanson
10-05-2007, 04:16 PM
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/recs/appliances/image003.gif

FedEx227
10-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Haha, this is great. While I agree the ratings are down for reasons, just imagine if this had been the Sox in the first round, playing at 9 EST and getting 40% less ratings.

"You have terrible fans!"

"Nobody goes to your games."

MarySwiss
10-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Haha, this is great. While I agree the ratings are down for reasons, just imagine if this had been the Sox in the first round, playing at 9 EST and getting 40% less ratings.

Just a hunch, but I would guess that if the Sox were in the first round and playing at 9 EST, they would be doing much better.

chisoxfanatic
10-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Just a hunch, but I would guess that if the Sox were in the first round and playing at 9 EST, they would be doing much better.

Puffers still had about 40 or 50 patrons in it for the final out of Game 3 of the 2005 World Series, if that's any way to gague that! :tongue:

Hitmen77
10-05-2007, 09:20 PM

I agree 1000%. I am certain this is how it would be spun if this were the Sox - and it would probably be a top story too.

Remember in '05 when our ALDS games sold out in a matter of minutes? That didn't stop the media from totally making up crap about there being a bunch of empty seats at the Cell. I know a few mediots reported this, but Sullivan specifically comes to mind IIRC.

ChiSoxGirl
10-05-2007, 10:11 PM

I don't have cable, and haven't in almost 20 years. I've been a Sox fan since 1989 and credit my knowledge of baseball to listening to the games on the radio and being forced to picture what was going on at the ballpark.

bryPt
10-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Read the lastest post at www.cubune.com (http://www.cubune.com) . Jeff points out that Mr. Sherman failed to include a few other facts in his article. Mainly the fact that ratings are up, way up, over last year everywhere else in the country. Apparently everyone else in the country is watching baseball, late at night, on cable, except for Chicago.

Maybe, just maybe Mr. Sherman is just toeing the cubune line and showing that his paycheck is a little more important than reporting fact and showing that he is truly a Sox fan.

Jeff is on a roll in his last few posts at his site. Right on buddy.

FedEx227
10-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Read the lastest post at www.cubune.com (http://www.cubune.com) . Jeff points out that Mr. Sherman failed to include a few other facts in his article. Mainly the fact that ratings are up, way up, over last year everywhere else in the country. Apparently everyone else in the country is watching baseball, late at night, on cable, except for Chicago.

Maybe, just maybe Mr. Sherman is just toeing the cubune line and showing that his paycheck is a little more important than reporting fact and showing that he is truly a Sox fan.

Jeff is on a roll in his last few posts at his site. Right on buddy.

Shoddy journalism :o:

At the Tribune :o:

Including Ed Sherman :o:

I simply won't believe it.

wassagstdu
10-06-2007, 07:09 AM
Kind of hard to make a "lovable loser" out of Carlos Zambrano. Can "my Cubbies" fans love a hard-nosed winner?

harwar
10-06-2007, 07:47 AM
Does anyone really not have cable or satellite by now??? Do people still have the huge antennas on their roofs and have to climb up to readjust it if the channels aren't coming in well? I have a 42 ft. free standing tower with a tv antenna(along with other things) that can be turned remotely.However;I have been reading that free tv may beome a thing of the past quite soon.