PDA

View Full Version : Cubbie fan Barry Rozner rips Cubbies...

DrCrawdad
10-05-2007, 10:53 AM
I heard Barry Rozner last night after the Cubbies loss so I had a preview of what he might be putting in his column (http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=51503). Last night Rozner said the Cubbies didn't belong in the post-season and only got in because they were lucky enough to play in the lousy NL Central. Rozner then added, they are overrated, fattened up on the lousy NL Central, untimely offense and poor defense.

I don't know if Rozner said these things before the post-season, as some here did, but Rozner would have been the exception among the local scribes.

http://www.dailyherald.com/images/columnist/story/barry_rozner.jpg

Arizona, the team Cubs fans mocked and experts dismissed, has not only taken a commanding 2-0 lead in this best-of-five series, but they've done it in embarrassingly simple fashion.

...the Cubs spit up all over themselves and generally look like a mediocre team that has no business being in the playoffs.

Oh, wait, they don't have to pretend, because they absolutely were a mediocre team that didn't belong in the playoffs, and only got in because MLB insisted the Central Division of the National League be represented in 2007...

...the Cubs are no longer fattening up on the pathetic Central foes...

BainesHOF
10-05-2007, 11:17 AM
In general, the local media's cheerleading has been a complete embarrassment to the profession.

C-Dawg
10-05-2007, 11:19 AM
I thought Barry was a Sox fan - going way back to his days in high school working as a vendor at Comiskey Park. I don't read the Daily Herald so I'm unfamiliar with his current teams.

DrCrawdad
10-05-2007, 11:30 AM
I thought Barry was a Sox fan - going way back to his days in high school working as a vendor at Comiskey Park. I don't read the Daily Herald so I'm unfamiliar with his current teams.

That's true that Rozner being a vendor and IIRC he worked both Comiskey and Wrigley. However, I do believe Rozner is a Cubbie fan.

PatK
10-05-2007, 11:34 AM
From what I recall from his columns, he really wasn't drinking too much blue Kool-Aid this year and was a lot more honest and consistent with his assessment of the Cubs all season.

WizardsofOzzie
10-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Bout damn time someone thinks with their god given brain

CHISOXFAN13
10-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Rozner may very well be the best columnist in this town. He's a very honest, fair writer.

thomas35forever
10-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Rozner may very well be the best columnist in this town. He's a very honest, fair writer.
That could be true, but there's no way the Sun-Times or Trib would hire him.

TornLabrum
10-05-2007, 04:26 PM

You're probably right there. The only beef I've ever had with Rozner is that he never heard a trade rumor he didn't print.

Brian26
10-05-2007, 04:30 PM
I heard Barry Rozner last night after the Cubbies loss so I had a preview of what he might be putting in his column (http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=51503). Last night Rozner said the Cubbies didn't belong in the post-season and only got in because they were lucky enough to play in the lousy NL Central. Rozner then added, they are overrated, fattened up on the lousy NL Central, untimely offense and poor defense.

And he speaks the truth. The Cubs '07 team isn't even as good as the '03 team or the '04 team (which was the best of the three and suprisingly didn't even make the playoffs).

Brian26
10-05-2007, 04:32 PM
That's true that Rozner being a vendor and IIRC he worked both Comiskey and Wrigley. However, I do believe Rozner is a Cubbie fan.

Rozner was on the Disco Demolition anniversary special talking about being a vendor in the RF upper deck.

He used to be on with Dahl in 2001 or 2002, and it seemed like he had a bit of a Cubs-bias.

hsnterprize
10-05-2007, 05:22 PM
I've always said there were some intelligent Cubs fans out there. Thankfully, Barry's smart enough to spit out the blue Kool-Aid every so often and look at everything objectively.

PatK
10-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Rozner was on the Disco Demolition anniversary special talking about being a vendor in the RF upper deck.

He used to be on with Dahl in 2001 or 2002, and it seemed like he had a bit of a Cubs-bias.

He always has when on the radio, mostly with the Stever.

His tends to keep it out of his articles, though.

MarySwiss
10-05-2007, 07:48 PM

I don't know if Rozner said these things before the post-season, as some here did, but Rozner would have been the exception among the local scribes.
Nice post. Actually, the article basically says the D'Backs are "under the radar." IIRC, that seemed to work out quite nicely for another team not too long ago.

As I said more than once, these D'backs--while not as talented as the 2005 Sox--share many of their traits.

GO D'BACKS!