PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been watching the games at McNally's on 111th Street?

Viva Medias B's
10-05-2007, 07:27 AM
I think that was the place Sox fans gathered in 2003 to specifically cheer for the Marlins. Is there a repeat of that activity with regard to the Diamondbacks this time around?

hi im skot
10-05-2007, 08:09 AM
I don't know anything about this myself, but it seems silly to me. Sure, I don't want the Cubs to win, but gathering in a public place to cheer for a team I know nothing about? Nah.

Karma.

rwcescato
10-05-2007, 08:26 AM
I think that was the place Sox fans gathered in 2003 to specifically cheer for the Marlins. Is there a repeat of that activity with regard to the Diamondbacks this time around?

I was there last night:D:. Marquee board had cubs elimination Number on it.
Being 2 before game. One table of flubs fans otheerwise all sox fans cheering. Pretty funny. Good time. Cub fans got it pretty good.

Viva Medias B's
10-05-2007, 09:28 AM
I don't know anything about this myself, but it seems silly to me. Sure, I don't want the Cubs to win, but gathering in a public place to cheer for a team I know nothing about? Nah.

Karma.

You're probably right, but The New York Times actually did a story on this gathering in 2003 and Hangar's name made the article. I know what you're thinking: Hangar's name appearing in an article about White Sox fans cheering against the Cubs is shocking.

peeonwrigley
10-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Doesn't McNally's also offer nickel beers on Monday if the Cubs sweep a crosstown weekend?

ILuvThatDuck
10-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Free round of beer when the D-Backs hit a HR. :D:

Viva Medias B's
10-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Free round of beer when the D-Backs hit a HR. :D:

The current tally:

:gulp::gulp::gulp:

hi im skot
10-05-2007, 11:02 AM
You're probably right, but The New York Times actually did a story on this gathering in 2003 and Hangar's name made the article. I know what you're thinking: Hangar's name appearing in an article about White Sox fans cheering against the Cubs is shocking.

:D:

Joliet Jeff
10-05-2007, 11:38 AM
I might have to stop by on Saturday. Hopefully the scrubs won't be the only thing blowing in Wrigley tomorrow. If the wind is too, that might make for some more free D-Back rounds! :gulp:

SoxFan78
10-05-2007, 02:57 PM
I was there last night:D:. Marquee board had cubs elimination Number on it.
Being 2 before game. One table of flubs fans otheerwise all sox fans cheering. Pretty funny. Good time. Cub fans got it pretty good.

I found this pic on chicagotribune.com

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-10/33005216.jpg

It's Time
10-05-2007, 03:17 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2007-10/33008389.jpg McNally's pub.

itsnotrequired
10-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Did the Trib or Sun Times run any pictures of Cub fans rooting against the Sox in the 2005 postseason?

chisoxfanatic
10-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Did the Trib or Sun Times run any pictures of Cub fans rooting against the Sox in the 2005 postseason?

I don't know; but, I'm sure they wouldn't want to show depressing photos in their papers. Cub fans rooting against the Sox in 2005 had absolutely nothing to be happy about. :cool:

itsnotrequired
10-05-2007, 06:04 PM
I don't know; but, I'm sure they wouldn't want to show depressing photos in their papers. Cub fans rooting against the Sox in 2005 had absolutely nothing to be happy about. :cool:

Frankly, I find the photos embarrassing.

Johnny Mostil
10-05-2007, 06:39 PM

For the curious (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9400E5DC143EF934A25753C1A9659C8B 63):

At one South Side bar, McNally's, patrons were awarded free beers for every home run hit by the Cubs' opponents, the Florida Marlins, and the bartenders wore Marlins jerseys. On Wednesday night, when the Cubs' loss was sealed, a thrilled Sox crowd poured out onto Western Avenue to cheer.

''What a relief,'' said Henry Ortiz, who said he gets a warm, sweet feeling when the Cubs lose, just as he does when the Sox win. ''What a weight lifted from my shoulders. If the Cubs had won the World Series, the White Sox would never have had a fair shake in this town. Now we're back to square one, both teams.''

kevin57
10-05-2007, 06:52 PM
The offer of free beers if the Cubs sweep the Sox is absolutely accurate...and also absolutely "safe." No self-respecting Sox fan would dare enter the joint to take 'em up on that offer.

I'm personally waiting for chisoxmike to say he'll be there. :redneck

CubKilla
10-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Frankly, I find the photos embarrassing.

Stay out of McNally's then

itsnotrequired
10-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Stay out of McNally's then

No problem with that.

Frankfan4life
10-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Did the Trib or Sun Times run any pictures of Cub fans rooting against the Sox in the 2005 postseason?Are you kidding??? The media wants to keep the myth alive that cubsfans are way too classy to do something like that. Give me a break!!

itsnotrequired
10-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Are you kidding??? The media wants to keep the myth alive that cubsfans are way too classy to do something like that. Give me a break!!

I took a gander over at northsidebaseball.com and checked out threads from October of 2005. Counting the game threads, there were a total of about 25 threads related to the Sox, their fans, the media, etc. (unless additional threads have since been deleted)

Compare that to WSI which has well over 30 threads about the Cubs, their fans, the media, etc. and it is only two games into the Divisional Series.

Myth indeed...

AnkleSox
10-06-2007, 12:35 PM
I took a gander over at northsidebaseball.com and checked out threads from October of 2005. Counting the game threads, there were a total of about 25 threads related to the Sox, their fans, the media, etc. (unless additional threads have since been deleted)

Compare that to WSI which has well over 30 threads about the Cubs, their fans, the media, etc. and it is only two games into the Divisional Series.

Myth indeed...

Take a look at how many posts go up in total over there. WSI just seems to be more active no matter what the subject, even if there are more members on nsbb. If i don't stop by here for a week, even threads in the parking lot are pushed back 3 pages. Over there, there's just not as much activity. So with a larger pool of potential posts, there will be more about the opposing team, naturally, but the ratio is probably about even.

itsnotrequired
10-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Take a look at how many posts go up in total over there. WSI just seems to be more active no matter what the subject, even if there are more members on nsbb. If i don't stop by here for a week, even threads in the parking lot are pushed back 3 pages. Over there, there's just not as much activity. So with a larger pool of potential posts, there will be more about the opposing team, naturally, but the ratio is probably about even.

northsidebaseball.com
- 9,676 members
- 19,299 threads
- 998,023 posts

whitesoxinteractive.com
- 8,208 members
- 85,036 threads
- 1,677,793 posts

The key difference? WSI has been around since July, 2001 while NSBB has been around since July, 2005 (at least, that is when the oldest posts are from). This works out to roughly 800 posts a day for NSBB.

There is plenty of action over there, just very little Sox talk.

TomBradley72
10-06-2007, 12:57 PM
I grew up here....my Cub fan friends have purchased/worn Blue Jays, Mariners, Astros, etc. hats each year the White Sox have made the post season. The media gives this dynamic alot more exposure when it comes to WSox fans hating the Cubs...but the dynamic exists on both sides.

Most of my "Cub hate" is media driven....

itsnotrequired
10-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I grew up here....my Cub fan friends have purchased/worn Blue Jays, Mariners, Astros, etc. hats each year the White Sox have made the post season. The media gives this dynamic alot more exposure when it comes to WSox fans hating the Cubs...but the dynamic exists on both sides.

Most of my "Cub hate" is media driven....

No doubt there are haters on both sides but looking at threads/posts on the two largest messageboards, the numbers show Sox fans more concerned with the Cubs than vice versa.

:dunno:

AnkleSox
10-06-2007, 01:41 PM
No doubt there are haters on both sides but looking at threads/posts on the two largest messageboards, the numbers show Sox fans more concerned with the Cubs than vice versa.

:dunno:

Our Talking Baseball section, to me, seems to also get a lot more posts concerning other teams. Maybe as a fanbase we're just more interested in baseball in general? I'm not saying there aren't obnoxious White Sox fans who obsess over the cubs, but it's not like their fanbase is flawless on the other end.

ChiSoxFan35
10-06-2007, 02:01 PM
northsidebaseball.com
- 9,676 members
- 19,299 threads
- 998,023 posts

whitesoxinteractive.com
- 8,208 members
- 85,036 threads
- 1,677,793 posts

The key difference? WSI has been around since July, 2001 while NSBB has been around since July, 2005 (at least, that is when the oldest posts are from). This works out to roughly 800 posts a day for NSBB.

There is plenty of action over there, just very little Sox talk.

So you are comparing a board open to years to one that had been open months? Yeah a little hard to compare. Also, they went into hiding because the Sox dominated, they had no right to smack talk. And there was less to complain about. Let's compare media coverage and optimism to winning a division in 05 compared to this year

I know at least one of their boards had a big game thread on our games. Who cares. I don't even hate on the Cubs, but if people want to (I feel they have right with how a lot of their fans act), I don't get how it shows that they care more about that than they do the Sox? It's just an excuse their fans came up with because they don't have much ammo when their team gets ripped

itsnotrequired
10-06-2007, 02:29 PM
So you are comparing a board open to years to one that had been open months? Yeah a little hard to compare. Also, they went into hiding because the Sox dominated, they had no right to smack talk. And there was less to complain about. Let's compare media coverage and optimism to winning a division in 05 compared to this year

I know at least one of their boards had a big game thread on our games. Who cares. I don't even hate on the Cubs, but if people want to (I feel they have right with how a lot of their fans act), I don't get how it shows that they care more about that than they do the Sox? It's just an excuse their fans came up with because they don't have much ammo when their team gets ripped

NSBB has been around for over two years, not just "months". I threw the numbers up to refute an earlier claim that NSBB isn't as active as WSI. It is a site getting just as much daily posts as WSI so comparing the two sites is valid. You really have to look around to find anti-White Sox threads over there yet WSI has anti-Cubs threads in spades. And it isn't just because they are in the postseason; there are dozens of threads throughout the season. In my opinion, this reflects poorly on Sox fans.

Just my $0.02...

LITTLE NELL
10-06-2007, 02:50 PM
NSBB has been around for over two years, not just "months". I threw the numbers up to refute an earlier claim that NSBB isn't as active as WSI. It is a site getting just as much daily posts as WSI so comparing the two sites is valid. You really have to look around to find anti-White Sox threads over there yet WSI has anti-Cubs threads in spades. And it isn't just because they are in the postseason; there are dozens of threads throughout the season. In my opinion, this reflects poorly on Sox fans.

Just my $0.02...
I think it comes down to Sox fans(me included) just being a little p****d off that the Cubs are the media darlings and the Sox just dont get a fair shake. We are probably a little frustrated and show it in the amount of anti Cub posts. I was a little surprised in how much coverage we did get in 05, but if the Cubs ever went all the way I'd hate to see how much over the top they would go.