PDA

View Full Version : replica world series ring

soxfan1983
10-04-2007, 11:20 PM
weird random probably stupid question. i have two of the replica world series rings that were given out last year. would it be "sac-religious" to have one of them resized so i can wear it? anyone know if it is possible to do it considering the material it is made out of? has anyone done it?

Brian26
10-04-2007, 11:31 PM
The rings are made of rather cheap material and probably couldn't be worn regularly without the paint coming off.

Nellie_Fox
10-05-2007, 12:07 AM
At best it's probably brass, which cannot be re-sized. But as to what I believe to be the intent of your question, yes, I think it would be pretentious to go around wearing a WS ring you didn't earn. But that's just my opinion.

C-Dawg
10-05-2007, 04:39 AM
At best it's probably brass,

Worse than that, its something brittle like pot metal (zinc?). You could try slicing it in back right where it gets narrow, but its likely to shatter or break badly.

rocky biddle
10-05-2007, 06:30 AM
It sounds like someone's getting harrassed by cub fans.

DumpJerry
10-05-2007, 07:17 AM
True. Or the other way around.

jabrch
10-05-2007, 08:58 AM
weird random probably stupid question. i have two of the replica world series rings that were given out last year. would it be "sac-religious" to have one of them resized so i can wear it? anyone know if it is possible to do it considering the material it is made out of? has anyone done it?

I know someone who took their ring and put it on a chain and made a necklace out of it. That seems like a better idea than wearing it as a ring - it is too flimsy for that.

soxinem1
10-05-2007, 09:46 AM
I know someone who took their ring and put it on a chain and made a necklace out of it. That seems like a better idea than wearing it as a ring - it is too flimsy for that.

That's the best thing. My son wears his like that. I have not, and don't plan to take mine out of it's package.

BainesHOF
10-05-2007, 10:12 AM
I recommend displaying it behind bullet-proof glass accompanied by 24-hour armed guard protection.

whitesoxwilkes
10-05-2007, 10:24 AM
That's the best thing. My son wears his like that. I have not, and don't plan to take mine out of it's package.

Mine is still in the package as part of my "2005 shelf."

SOXPHILE
10-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Just bring it with you for "special occasions", where there will be obnoxious Cub fans around. When they start giving you any grief about being a Sox fan, or going on and on about the Cubs, just take it out and show it to them, saying "You....don't.....have one of these.........do you ?"

chaerulez
10-05-2007, 11:55 AM
I am, and others might be, confused to which replica you are talking about. The cheap ones that were given the first 20,000 or so fans in the second game of the 2006 season? Or the actual replica that is worth a lot of money? I wouldn't recommend wearing either. The one that was handed out for free is pretty cheap and eventually the finish will come off. If you go around wearing the real replica you might get mugged. Either way wearing either I think would be a bit tacky.

Foulke You
10-05-2007, 12:10 PM
I am, and others might be, confused to which replica you are talking about. The cheap ones that were given the first 20,000 or so fans in the second game of the 2006 season? Or the actual replica that is worth a lot of money? I wouldn't recommend wearing either. The one that was handed out for free is pretty cheap and eventually the finish will come off. If you go around wearing the real replica you might get mugged. Either way wearing either I think would be a bit tacky.
I think people are talking about the one that was given away on ring ceremony day (2nd game of the '06 season). The ring only fits on my pinky and I certainly am not wearing a pinky ring. Right now, my ring is sitting on my White Sox shelf on top of my "World Series Champions" baseball.

Brian26
10-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Mine is still in the package as part of my "2005 shelf."

Shelf? I assume the baby took your 2005 room. And so it begins. :D:

Brian26
10-05-2007, 12:48 PM
I think people are talking about the one that was given away on ring ceremony day (2nd game of the '06 season). The ring only fits on my pinky and I certainly am not wearing a pinky ring. Right now, my ring is sitting on my White Sox shelf on top of my "World Series Champions" baseball.

Hawk wears his real World Series ring as a pinky ring. Only Hawk can get away with that though. :D:

ilsox7
10-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Hawk wears his real World Series ring as a pinky ring. Only Hawk can get away with that though. :D:

I tell ya, that ring has been great this year. Night after night, the energy that ring has shown at the ballpark has been unsurpassed. There may be similar rings out there, but none are better.

SOXPHILE
10-05-2007, 01:24 PM

http://imgsrv.670thescore.com/image/DbLiteGraphic/200612/321807.jpg (http://www.670thescore.com/content_page.php?contentType=4&contentId=255234) "Dare's nuttin' wrong wit' wearing one of dos'. I got one ! Nuttin' sez "class" like a pinky ring !"

HomeFish
10-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Tim Spooneybarger of the 2003 Florida Marlins wears his World Series ring on his thumb. It was custom-built differently from all of the other rings given out that year by his personal request.

soxfan1983
10-05-2007, 09:37 PM

yes... i have too many Cub fans and its annoying that they made it to the playoffs because i never hear the end of it. a couple of my friends just moved into an apartment by wrigley last weekend and are having a party tomorrow night... i hope the cubbies lose and then i thought it would be hilarious to wear my ring to rub it in a little. yes the one they gave away at the game... not the real replica one. man, that one would never leave my safe

Nellie_Fox
10-06-2007, 12:04 AM
I know someone who took their ring and put it on a chain and made a necklace out of it. You'd look like you're "going steady" with a Sox player. :o:

Frontman
10-08-2007, 05:51 PM
I wear mine on occasion on a chain. I also grasp it when Cubs fans come by, screaming "Precious" at them.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/12/18/gollum_pic.jpg

"Cubs fans. We curses them. WE HATES THEM!!! THEY MUSTEN GET A PRECIOUS!!!! STRETCH!!!!"

:hawk
"I love it when you parody."

35th&Shields
10-09-2007, 12:34 PM
At best it's probably brass, which cannot be re-sized. But as to what I believe to be the intent of your question, yes, I think it would be pretentious to go around wearing a WS ring you didn't earn. But that's just my opinion.

Not only is it pretentious, it would be unbelievably gaudy and tacky.