PDA

View Full Version : Anyone listening to WGN Radio last night?

johnr1note
10-04-2007, 11:27 AM
I didn't get to tune into any of the game last night until I was in my car, late, and it was the 9th inning. So all I heard was the 9th.

I couldn't believe Santo's antics.

Its one thing to be a cheerleader for your team. I think most of us have heard Santo's blatherings over the success or lack thereof of the Cubs. It goes beyond being a "homer" type announcer. Hawk Harrelson is a "homer." But at least Hawk is an announcer -- he's a professional. What Santo does is completely unprofessional.

But he took it to a new level in the 9th inning last night. When Valverde came in as the closer for the D-backs, Ron began a verbal onslaught. For all practical purposes, Ron Santo was telling the audience that he hated Valverde. He agreed that he was good, but that he was a "hot dog," and a "weasel," and basically accused him of cheating with the way he delivers a baseball to the plate. He harped on this for the first two batters, and declared that nothing would make him happier than to put a hot dog like Valverde in his place, and to beat him.

I was unaware of there being any "bad blood" between the D-backs and Cubs, and particularly with Valverde. I just thought Santo was over the line on this. Every now and then, you'll hear an announcer get into it about a player who is a rival, but its either low key and with a modicum of respect (Ed Farmer does this), or its in light of an incident, like the Barrett/AJ fight, or when Tori Hunter bulldozed our catcher a few years back.

I just thought Santo went way too far, and was extremely unprofessional. Did anyone else listen in?

D. TODD
10-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Farmer goes nuts on Bonds and others, and as you stated Hawk is as big a homer as they come. If Santo hates Velverde and his antics go ahead and rip him. Valverde IS a major hot dog with annoying antics, but no more then Zambrano for Santo's beloved Cub, so he does come off quite hypercritical with this outrage.

SOXPHILE
10-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Farmer goes nuts on Bonds and others, and as you stated Hawk is as big a homer as they come. If Santo hates Velverde and his antics go ahead and rip him. Valverde IS a major hot dog with annoying antics, but no more then Zambrano for Santo's beloved Cub, so he does come off quite hypercritical with this outrage.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't like Velverde doing that garbage either. But if the wigged wearing one is going to go off like that on the guy, me thinks he should maybe, possibly take a lil' looksee at the antics of the fat Jackass that started last night for his beloved, stupid, little team. Or how abouts casting a critical eye towards Ramirez, who stands at the plate and admires his doubles off the wall before he begins running. Or Soriano and his "cute" little hops right before he catches a fly ball.

rdwj
10-04-2007, 12:06 PM
I think it's funny that a clown that was known for leaping into the air and tapping his heals together after every win would bash someone for being a hot dog.

PatK
10-04-2007, 12:10 PM
I think it's funny that a clown that was known for leaping into the air and tapping his heals together after every win would bash someone for being a hot dog.

Ironic, isn't it?

TDog
10-04-2007, 01:19 PM

I was thinking the same thing as I read the initial post in this thread.

Early in the decade-century-millennium when I would listen to Cubs games on my car radio sometimes when driving in Wisconsin, I used to hear Santo talk about how much he hated Kendall the Pirates catcher. Ron Santo is a bitter old man who, essentially, is a loser. He was a loser as a player. Now he can't get into the Hall of Fame.

Ed Farmer, when I listened to him, came off as a South Side punk. Ron Santo comes off as a bitter old man.

Lefty34
10-04-2007, 01:43 PM
I absolutely despise Ron Santo on the air. When he isn't talking to about his Chevy truck or This Old Cub or making his incessant pleas to be admitted to the Hall of Fame, he just sits in silence and loses track of what is going on in the game. He offers no real commentary during the game other than to occasionally ask Pat Hughes what happened on the last play because he was too busy dosing off to thoughts of heel-clicking that will never again be possible for him. I really just cannot take a man seriously who, on Mother's Day, bashes and shuns the use of pink bats and wristbands, then goes on to plug his own diabetes foundation.

Ron Santo, you legless bag of crap, take your Chevy truck and your burning, second-rate toupee and get off the air.

Risk
10-04-2007, 01:48 PM

My father isn't really into sports, but I will always remember what he said to me with regards to Santo

Risk (circa 1984): Dad, do you think Ron Santo should be in the HOF?

Risk's Dad: Son, I don't know, but Andy, never forget this..."Ron Santo is an *******, always has been, always will be..."

Risk

PatK
10-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Why the hell would you listen to the Cubs radio broadcast?

tebman
10-04-2007, 01:57 PM
I absolutely despise Ron Santo on the air. When he isn't talking to about his Chevy truck or This Old Cub or making his incessant pleas to be admitted to the Hall of Fame, he just sits in silence and loses track of what is going on in the game. He offers no real commentary during the game other than to occasionally ask Pat Hughes what happened on the last play because he was too busy dosing off to thoughts of heel-clicking that will never again be possible for him. I really just cannot take a man seriously who, on Mother's Day, bashes and shuns the use of pink bats and wristbands, then goes on to plug his own diabetes foundation.

WGN keeps him on there, of course, because he's a Cub museum piece that's a component of their overall marketing plan. Hughes is the genuine announcer, and though he's not my cup of tea with his tromBONE deLIVery, he's a pro who can tell you what's going on in the game. If Santo was any other guy there is no way he'd be put behind a microphone.

I don't have the article handy, but McDonough, the marketing guy who runs the Cubs, was recently quoted as saying that the reason the Cubs have been so commercially successful was because of decades-long consistency: the same uniforms, the same radio station, the same TV station, the same ballpark/neighborhood identification, etc. Santo is one of those consistent things associated with the Cubs, no matter how embarrassingly bad he can be on the air.

eriqjaffe
10-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Santo just follows in the Cubs' long-standing tradition of beloved, addled, incoherent broadcasters.

skottyj242
10-04-2007, 02:10 PM
I
I was unaware of there being any "bad blood" between the D-backs and Cubs, and particularly with Valverde. I just thought Santo was over the line on this. Every now and then, you'll hear an announcer get into it about a player who is a rival, but its either low key and with a modicum of respect (Ed Farmer does this), or its in light of an incident, like the Barrett/AJ fight, or when Tori Hunter bulldozed our catcher a few years back.

http://www.mlb.com/images/2004/07/26/5H8RzNwQ.jpg

Jamie Burke.

Lefty34
10-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Yeah you guys are right about Santo being the marketing ploy of the Trib. Company. But then it comes right back to the Cubs fans who consistently buy into and listen to this drivel. I mean, I'm not against rooting for your team or something like that when you are the teams announcer (not Joe Buck style where he just hates EVERYTHING that isn't from St. Louis) but there has to be a point where the fans wake up and tell Ronnie put his foot...err prostheses in his mouth. So let's recap: average (at best) baseball player, below average person and dim-witted announcer; yeah, thats a HOF candidate right there.

DSpivack
10-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Santo just follows in the Cubs' long-standing tradition of beloved, addled, incoherent broadcasters.

At least Santo didn't make a stop on the South Side beforehand.

Oh, wait.

http://www.mlb.com/images/2004/07/26/5H8RzNwQ.jpg

Jamie Burke.

Ugh, still the ugliest baseball game I've ever been to.

DickAllen72
10-04-2007, 05:18 PM
:thumbsup:

TheCommander
10-04-2007, 05:49 PM
He offers no real commentary during the game other than to occasionally ask Pat Hughes what happened on the last play because he was too busy dosing off to thoughts of heel-clicking that will never again be possible for him.
Ron Santo, you legless bag of crap, take your Chevy truck and your burning, second-rate toupee and get off the air.

I mean, I'm not against rooting for your team or something like that when you are the teams announcer (not Joe Buck style where he just hates EVERYTHING that isn't from St. Louis) but there has to be a point where the fans wake up and tell Ronnie put his foot...err prostheses in his mouth.

I agree 100% that Ron Santo is an ******* and a horrible,horrible announcer. But for you to ridicule the man for losing his legs to diabetes is quite classless and has absolutely NOTHING to do with his character or lack thereof.

Lip Man 1
10-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Commander:

I agree although my 'sympathy' was tempered greatly by the news that Santo was told to stop drinking years ago. That it would only increase the effects of his illness. He continued to do it...his situation got worse in part because of it.

My sympathies are limited when an individual continues to act in a stupid, reckless fashion after they have been warned.

Lip

eriqjaffe
10-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Commander:

I agree although my 'sympathy' was tempered greatly by the news that Santo was told to stop drinking years ago. That it would only increase the effects of his illness. He continued to do it...his situation got worse in part because of it.

My sympathies are limited when an individual continues to act in a stupid, reckless fashion after they have been warned.

LipSome people have trouble stopping addictive behavior, regardless of how bad they know it can be for them. How many people out there still smoke with full knowledge of the risks?

I'm not saying that Santo is wise to continue with the boozin', far from it. But it may not be something he can entirely control. Besides, he's the biggest Cub fan ever, and if that doesn't drive someone to drink in a damn-the-torpedos style, I don't know what would. ;)

TDog
10-04-2007, 06:06 PM

Lip

I concur. Most people are surprised when I don't feel sympathy for Mickey "You Usin' That Liver?" Mantle. And I won't feel sympathy for Barry Bonds when he he suffers post-career health problems. Really, I'm not sure anyone will.

white sox bill
10-04-2007, 06:20 PM
I too feel sorry for Rooie Woo Santo. he's fought a courageous battle thus far and I would personally walk for his charity.

Being a flub fan AND having both your legs amputated is...well like showing up in Hell wearing a winter parka. Gotta be a beaach

skobabe8
10-04-2007, 06:21 PM
This thread rules.

TheCommander
10-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Commander:

Lip

I am not necessarily saying Santo deserves any sympathy due to his diabetes. I just think it kind of cheapened the poster's argument and seriously strayed away from the main issue which was Santo's announcing abilities. On the other hand,if he had made one disparaging comment it might not be quite as offensive. But to continue to make jokes concerning someone's disability-partially brought on by their own actions or not-is still pretty classless IMO.

ws05champs
10-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Santo belongs in the hall of fame for worst broadcasters. If I were a Cubs fan it would be excruciatingly painful to have to listen to him. Not being a Cubs fan I just have to laugh at his moaning and whining.

Lefty34
10-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Commander:
I apologize if what I wrote seemed aimed at making light of people with the debilitating disease known as diabetes. That was not my point. It is terrible that the condition exists and some people are indeed forced to have limbs amputated to continue living. I indeed hold much sympathy for all people afflicted with the disease and wish for nothing but their recovery.

However, when we come to Mr. Santo, my sympathy ends and, in fact, it retracts somewhat. When Santo uses his battle with diabetes as a stepping stool or springboard to try and get into the Hall of Fame, I immediately feel used by his words and have no problem throwing said words back at him. Classless, as you want to use it, was when Santo condemned the use of pink bats and the like on Mother's Day (used to signify breast cancer awareness), then, on the same broadcast, mentioned and hyped up his own diabetes fund. Those two things alone (and believe me, there are many more out there) warrant no pity and infact call for distaste of Santo at the least.

jfinsocal
10-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Belittling anyone with an illness or infirmaty is classless regardless of the cause. Even though Santo is six-sigma annoying this crosses the line.

Speaking of Santo who remembers that lousy pizza he used to market? That alone should keep him out of the HOF.

WSox597
10-04-2007, 07:38 PM
We used to call him Mr. Clutch, sarcastically when he was a player.

Half of my family follow the Cubs, and so growing up I got exposed to both teams. Thank Goodness I picked the right side, south.

The Mr. Clutch part comes from the perception that he couldn't get the clutch hits. If the Cubs were winning 8-0, he'd hit a three-run homer. If in the bottom of the ninth, they were trailing by one run, bases loaded, he'd pop out or strike out to end the game.

The Cub fans called him Mr. Clutch, he's not quite as beloved as you might think.

It is too bad about his disease, but diabetes isn't grounds for admission into the HOF.

Lefty34
10-04-2007, 07:41 PM
So, by your reasoning, someone should consider themselves "lucky" to have an illness or disease because it shields them from all forms of verbal and psychological onslaught regardless of what they do? Is Santo now considered free to trounce on whoever he wants (women with breast cancer, let's say, like he did this summer), or USE his disability as an avenue to get special treatment for something he really doesn't deserve? And is anyone who blows the whistle on him and uses his own tactics against him classless? What if I am offended by Santo and his endless rants about his diabetes getting him into the Hall? Are we not all in agreement that he himself is the classless one? When Santo started talking his diabetes OUTSIDE the realm of it being a debilitating and potentially lethal disease, he opened the door to any type of criticism concerning his diabetes because he set the precedence. Like I said earlier I do not go down to the pharmacy and belittle people buying their insulin. No, I am defending myself from the stupidity and immorality of Ron Santo. There is no lack of class in that.

And no I do not remember the crappy pizza he marketed but I think I know what you're talking about

TDog
10-04-2007, 07:46 PM

The Cub fans called him Mr. Clutch, he's not quite as beloved as you might think.

People forget that Ron Santo was booed quite a bit at Wrigley Field in the early 1970s. One Chicago columnist, in Santo's defense, wrote, "Anyone who booed Ron Santo never watched him play." The few Sox fans in my neighborhood mocked the statement, turning it into "... never tasted his pizza." Not that we ate his pizza.

MarySwiss
10-04-2007, 07:48 PM
People forget that Ron Santo was booed quite a bit at Wrigley Field in the early 1970s. One Chicago columnist, in Santo's defense, wrote, "Anyone who booed Ron Santo never watched him play." The few Sox fans in my neighborhood mocked the statement, turning it into "... never tasted his pizza." Not that we ate his pizza.

Modestly named, "The Pro's Pizza." Although I actually thought it was okay, as ballpark pizza went in those days.

TheCommander
10-04-2007, 08:11 PM
One last time,Lefty because you don't seem to get it. I think you will be hard-pressed to find anyone on these boards who doesn't think Santo is a pathetic,pandering fool,etc,etc,whatever. But even stooping as low as he does,including using his disability to try to garner HOF votes as you stated, doesn't justify making fun of his crippleness. It just speaks,once again,of his lack of character and doesn't warrant cheap shots. The guy gives you enough fodder to make valid arguments without sinking to his level.

Lefty34
10-04-2007, 09:16 PM
You are absolutely right, Commander. However I must make note of how you said that just because Santo uses his disability in an attempt to gain HOF votes I do not have the right to include his disability in my critiques of him.

The philosopher Thomas Hobbes wrote that "a man be willing, when others are too, as far-forth as for Peace and defense of himself he shall think it necessary to lay down this right to all things; and be contented with so much liberty against other men as he would allow other men against himself." Clearly, looking at this, I should not use Santo's disability against him. However, Hobbes then goes on to say "But if other men will not lay down their Right, as well as he; then there is no Reason for any one to devest himself of his...". Looking at this, however, one can extrapolate that when Santo uses his disability as a tool to gain something that is not his, I am not obliged to abstain from including his disability in my rants about him. If I did continue to lay down my right to everything obtainable by man, it would lead to, as Hobbes said, "a state of war".

TheCommander
10-04-2007, 10:32 PM
You are absolutely right, Commander. However I must make note of how you said that just because Santo uses his disability in an attempt to gain HOF votes I do not have the right to include his disability in my critiques of him.

The philosopher Thomas Hobbes wrote that "a man be willing, when others are too, as far-forth as for Peace and defense of himself he shall think it necessary to lay down this right to all things; and be contented with so much liberty against other men as he would allow other men against himself." Clearly, looking at this, I should not use Santo's disability against him. However, Hobbes then goes on to say "But if other men will not lay down their Right, as well as he; then there is no Reason for any one to devest himself of his...". Looking at this, however, one can extrapolate that when Santo uses his disability as a tool to gain something that is not his, I am not obliged to abstain from including his disability in my rants about him. If I did continue to lay down my right to everything obtainable by man, it would lead to, as Hobbes said, "a state of war".

My objection wasn't with you including his disability in your rants;it was with you making fun of it. Clearly you have freedom of speech and the ability to analyze. But you also have the choice to use discretion and good judgement when presenting your analysis. By attacking Santo's deformity(and not just his misuse of it),you are no longer making a statement about his character but rather bringing into question your own.

Frontman
10-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Well, as someone who has people in his family with diabetes, I certainly wouldn't make fun of Santo for it; but he does use it to play the sympathy card come vote time.

Shame really, as he could be using his position as a sports announcer to bring awareness to the disease, versus using it to drum up support for the HoF vote.

Say what you will about Farmer, but at least I know a bit about polysistic kidney disease and what can be done to help because of him talking about it; as well as other worthwhile charities.

Santo on the other hand, is so self absorbed that he went on a rant on Mother's Day about the players wearing pink wristbands and using pink bats.

DrCrawdad
10-05-2007, 01:42 AM
And the Slanto starts right out after him again tonight.

DrCrawdad
10-05-2007, 01:58 AM
Slanto was not heard from during the strike-out to end the game by Aramais Ramirez. No blathering. No references to "hot-dogs" from the lout, just silence.

It's Time
10-05-2007, 02:11 AM
http://media.bestprices.com/dvd/cov150/drt900/t993/t99355fxgo9.jpg

Mohoney
10-05-2007, 02:38 AM
My big gripe with Santo is that, despite being the head of a foundation that tries to combat diabetes, he still puts himself in the position where he's seen drinking in public. With all the information that we have about the possible negative consequences that alcohol consumption can have on diabetics, this strikes me as very disingenuous. Considering how often this guy tries to hype himself up as a synpathetic martyr, it's even worse. It would be like a head of a lung cancer foundation smoking cigarettes in public.

johnr1note
10-05-2007, 11:24 AM
The folks at the MLB channel on XM seem to be catching on to Santo. Its hard to tell if they are promoting Santo or mocking him, but they replayed several clips from the WGN radio broadcast on the XM "Homeplate" broadcast this morning. In particular, they played Ron's tirade during Lilly's failed bunt attempt, making snide comments about Ron's emotional explosions.

Santo is not just a laughingstock locally, but across the country.

As an aside, to add to the discussion of how Santo was viewed by his own fan base in the early 70s, and how he was disparagingly referred to as "Mr. Clutch," my father (a White Sox fan but a very objective one) used to refer to Santo in that era as the "King of the warning track flyballs."

PatK
10-05-2007, 11:33 AM
My big gripe with Santo is that, despite being the head of a foundation that tries to combat diabetes, he still puts himself in the position where he's seen drinking in public. With all the information that we have about the possible negative consequences that alcohol consumption can have on diabetics, this strikes me as very disingenuous. Considering how often this guy tries to hype himself up as a synpathetic martyr, it's even worse. It would be like a head of a lung cancer foundation smoking cigarettes in public.

That's one thing that irks me as well.

Didn't he also have a rep as a hard-partier during his playing days?

SOXPHILE
10-05-2007, 11:46 AM
That's one thing that irks me as well.

Didn't he also have a rep as a hard-partier during his playing days?

Yes he did. He continued these ways in the 30+ years since, which is more than likely why he's had to have these amputations in the first place. He was also known for:

-The whole Don Young incident

-While as a 20 something player, getting into a fight with his 70 year old manager Leo Durocher. (I actually heard him say during a broadcast that Durocher didn't back down, and put up a good fight. Your a class act Ron)

-Being an extremely obnoxious, divisive presence while with the Sox in 1974, at one point, or so I heard, Dick Allen punched him in the face

-(As mentioned by others here)- Mr Clutch. Alot of "garbage time", meaningless homeruns when the Cubs were either winning or losing a game by 10 runs. 1 run game with 2 outs and a guy in scoring position ? Hey, how about a popup or strike out. This feat was replicated many times, some 30 years later by a certain wife beating, steroid taking, right fielder.

DumpJerry
10-05-2007, 11:57 AM
-(As mentioned by others here)- Mr Clutch. Alot of "garbage time", meaningless homeruns when the Cubs were either winning or losing a game by 10 runs. 1 run game with 2 outs and a guy in scoring position ? Hey, how about a popup or strike out. This feat was replicated many times, some 30 years later by a certain wife beating, steroid taking, right fielder.
Hold on there. Juan Uribe plays Shortstop, does not do steroids and, as far we know, has not hit his wife.

hsnterprize
10-05-2007, 12:34 PM
You know something...I REFUSE to listen to WGN's coverage of this series. The funny part is that one time I heard a play on ESPN, and then I turned to WGN just to hear Santo's reaction. I said, "Oh, man." thinking Santo would say it. A few seconds later...he did. You knew he was going to be upset after the D-Backs did something good.

I'd rather listen to ESPN's coverage of this series. If Pat Hughes was working with ESPN, I'd listen more to him. I like Hughes...it's Santo I have a problem with. Nice guy...not to nice announcer.

Lip Man 1
10-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Soxphile:

I never heard of Dick punching him in the face but if you read Carlos May's interview with WSI he does tell of one time the two went at it.

Lip

TDog
10-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Soxphile:

I never heard of Dick punching him in the face but if you read Carlos May's interview with WSI he does tell of one time the two went at it.

Lip

That would say a lot for Ron Santo's character. Everyone gets along well with Carlos May.

Lip Man 1
10-05-2007, 01:01 PM
TDog:

You misunderstood, the incident was between Allen and Santo.

Lip

alohafri
10-05-2007, 01:10 PM
You know something...I REFUSE to listen to WGN's coverage of this series. The funny part is that one time I heard a play on ESPN, and then I turned to WGN just to hear Santo's reaction. I said, "Oh, man." thinking Santo would say it. A few seconds later...he did. You knew he was going to be upset after the D-Backs did something good.

I'd rather listen to ESPN's coverage of this series. If Pat Hughes was working with ESPN, I'd listen more to him. I like Hughes...it's Santo I have a problem with. Nice guy...not to nice announcer.

Santo "Oh man!"s in the first inning!

BeeBeeRichard
10-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Yes he did. He continued these ways in the 30+ years since, which is more than likely why he's had to have these amputations in the first place. He was also known for:

-The whole Don Young incident

-While as a 20 something player, getting into a fight with his 70 year old manager Leo Durocher. (I actually heard him say during a broadcast that Durocher didn't back down, and put up a good fight. Your a class act Ron)

-Being an extremely obnoxious, divisive presence while with the Sox in 1974, at one point, or so I heard, Dick Allen punched him in the face

You got it right until the second to last word, when your "right" was actually wrong.

veeter
10-05-2007, 01:23 PM
This thread rules.Yes it does.

veeter
10-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Hold on there. Juan Uribe plays Shortstop, does not do steroids and, as far we know, has not hit his wife.Awesome.

Lefty34
10-05-2007, 02:38 PM
The thing with me is, I am really not interested in how Santo developed diabetes or what he did or did not do to stop it (well, I am somewhat, but that is not my main concern). I think it is terrible that he (and everyone, for that matter, not just Santo) got the disease and I feel remorse for that happening to him. Okay, so he didn't do the best he could to ward off the onset of his condition; I'm willing to go so far as to look past that and still take pity in his (and again, all others who have done the same) condition. However, when Santo starts using his disability and his affliction as a crutch, or, more like, a spring board to gain entry into the hall of fame, he absolutely squanders all pity he garnered from me concerning his disease and disability, AND, more than that, I believe it NECESSARY to call him out on it and even go so far as to make remarks about a condition that he clearly has no care or realization of.

Elvisfan1977
10-05-2007, 03:28 PM
What I love about this thread so much is that Cub fans would have a heart attack if they read some of the things said about Santo here. To them there is no negativity. It's a peachy world with Ron. Even female Cub fans don't see what a hypocrite he is, even afer the comments he made on Mother's Day. My mom is a breast cancer survivor, and I can gauruntee you she wouldn't appreciate those comments after what she went through. She also wouldn't waste the time to stoop down to his level either. Nor will I.

This thread has been a great read!

Viva Medias B's
10-05-2007, 03:31 PM
What I love about this thread so much is that Cub fans would have a heart attack if they read some of the things said about Santo here. To them there is no negativity. It's a peachy world with Ron. Even female Cub fans don't see what a hypocrite he is, even afer the comments he made on Mother's Day. My mom is a breast cancer survivor, and I can gauruntee you she wouldn't appreciate those comments after what she went through. She also wouldn't waste the time to stoop down to his level either. Nor will I.

This thread has been a great read!

What comments were those?

Elvisfan1977
10-05-2007, 03:35 PM

He went on tirade about the players wearing pink wristbands and using pink bats in order to raise awareness of breast cancer. It wasn't funny but insulting. Then later in during the same game started hyping his charity for diabetes awareness. I'm all for raising awareness for diabetes, but this was not the forum. He pretty much tried to steal the show and take focus off one charity in favor of his own. I'm sure the Cubs PR department, or Baseball in general can do the same for diabetes as breast cancer, just not on the same day, IMO.

skobabe8
10-05-2007, 03:37 PM

Im thinking the ones about the pink bats and wristbands worn by the players? Santo didnt care for them so much.

Frontman
10-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Im thinking the ones about the pink bats and wristbands worn by the players? Santo didnt care for them so much.

He pissed me off with them, that's for certain. I cannot stand men who comment that its a bad idea for men to bring awareness to breast cancer by men wearing pink. Santo isn't the only one, but he pretty much annoyed the livin' hell out of me that day.

itsnotrequired
10-05-2007, 09:14 PM
He pissed me off with them, that's for certain. I cannot stand men who comment that its a bad idea for men to bring awareness to breast cancer by men wearing pink. Santo isn't the only one, but he pretty much annoyed the livin' hell out of me that day.

I'll never stop wearing my pink shirt and tie!

:redneck

Frontman
10-05-2007, 09:49 PM
I'll never stop wearing my pink shirt and tie!

:redneck

Goes without saying.

I of course have my "All my Black Shirts are dirty" pink shirt I wear to raise awareness.

Mohoney
10-05-2007, 10:10 PM
I wonder if Santo would have a problem with red wristbands to raise money for AIDS, or yellow wristbands to support the troops, if these ever came into existence?

Several causes have representative colors that are easily identifiable with the cause. To mock any of them as a "bad fashion statement" is pretty high up there in terms of stupidity.

The Immigrant
10-05-2007, 10:44 PM
To mock any of them as a "bad fashion statement" is pretty high up there in terms of stupidity.

On a more basic level, a man who glues what looks like a beaver pelt to his scalp shoud not mock anyone's fashion sense.

southsideirish71
10-05-2007, 11:21 PM
I am a 3rd generation diabetic. I have seen the disease strike members of my family, and the dreaded complications that strike people if they dont get under control. I have seen some members of my family perform reckless behavior(ignore doctors, no insulin, no exercise, drinking, eating out of control). These are the people that lose limbs as the disease ravages the body.

Ron Santo has the complications he has today because he wasnt under control. If it is self inflicted its still sad. You cannot reverse decades of damage to a body.

However, the Ron Santo and the "lets get Santo in the Hall because he is a diabetic" sicken me. Santo was a first rate moron, and show off when he was a player. Bringing light to a disease that needs a cure is a nobel thing, bringing light to the fact that you are diabetic and then use it as a prop to overshine years of clicking your heels and acting like a moron is sickening so you can get "yourself" into the hall of fame.

Ron Santo's actions and comments are one of the biggest jokes in baseball. This first class mope used to click his heels to show up the other team. People around baseball thought he was a hot dog. He only served himself. Then remember, if a cub player does it its about passion and love for the game, if another player does it. Its selfish and needs to be dealt with.

Sammy Sosa, hits a fly ball. He hops up and down, its clears the fence. Then he comes around and does a tap tap kiss. Santo cheers.

Jose Valentin hits a home run against the cubs. He hops and does the tap tap kiss. Santo and the rest of the cubs are upset that Valentin is a hot dog and showing up his team.

I wonder how much grumpy old man giggles and smiles when Zambrano jumped up, and celebrated the strikeout of the pitcher Brandon Webb the .058 batting average pitcher. He jumped up and down, and pumped his fist like he struck out the mighty casey. I am sure this old Dud jumped on Zambrano and wanted to fight him.

His comments about the pink bats show how caring the man is.

white sox bill
10-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Why did Santo click his heels? To show the pitcher up or to celebrate a rare flub victory?

Considering the heel clicking and looking at him in his condition, well if you believe in Karma, here's your textbook example.

russ99
10-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Its one thing to be a cheerleader for your team. I think most of us have heard Santo's blatherings over the success or lack thereof of the Cubs. It goes beyond being a "homer" type announcer. Hawk Harrelson is a "homer." But at least Hawk is an announcer -- he's a professional. What Santo does is completely unprofessional.

But he took it to a new level in the 9th inning last night. When Valverde came in as the closer for the D-backs, Ron began a verbal onslaught. For all practical purposes, Ron Santo was telling the audience that he hated Valverde. He agreed that he was good, but that he was a "hot dog," and a "weasel," and basically accused him of cheating with the way he delivers a baseball to the plate. He harped on this for the first two batters, and declared that nothing would make him happier than to put a hot dog like Valverde in his place, and to beat him.

I just thought Santo went way too far, and was extremely unprofessional. Did anyone else listen in?

While I'm no fan of Valverde's histrionics, before Santo opens his mouth he should take a real close look at his supposed "ace" pitcher who's antics are as bad or IMO even worse than Valverde's.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Oh, I forgot the stock Cubune excuse: "Carlos is emotional" but Valverde is a "hot dog" and a "weasel." What a load of crap.

Also, I wonder what Ronnie said when Ted Lilly acted like a total fool after giving up the homer the other day? Great example for the kids, Ted...

RadioheadRocks
10-06-2007, 10:13 PM
While I'm no fan of Valverde's histrionics, before Santo opens his mouth he should take a real close look at his supposed "ace" pitcher who's antics are as bad or IMO even worse than Valverde's.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Oh, I forgot the stock Cubune excuse: "Carlos is emotional" but Valverde is a "hot dog" and a "weasel." What a load of crap.

Also, I wonder what Ronnie said when Ted Lilly acted like a total fool after giving up the homer the other day? Great example for the kids, Ted...

"I get So Emotional baby..." :D:

DickAllen72
10-06-2007, 10:18 PM
I wish Valverde would have clicked his heels after the third out tonight! :tongue:

Nellie_Fox
10-07-2007, 12:58 AM
I forgot the stock Cubune excuse: "Carlos is emotional" but Valverde is a "hot dog" and a "weasel." It's like my sig on the college hockey board: "My guy is a hard-nosed player who's not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie."

Lefty34
10-07-2007, 02:51 AM
I cannot count how many times Ron Santo has been two-faced when providing color commentary to the Cubs game. I will be honest, I listen to a Cubs broadcast now and then because my grandfather is a die-hard Cubs fan (a fan who cares about the game of BASEBALL rather than the game of attendance or beer sales). And I must say, it is absolutely STUNNING as to how much Santo gets away with on the air. I understand that he is the face of Cub Nation (albeit and ugly face) but there comes a point when the Trib Co. just has to say, "Get out of here Ron, you're ruining the broadcast of an actual baseball game." Then, I guess, part of the blame falls on the suits sitting on the Trib Co. Board of Directors who refuse to admit they are promoting a BASEBALL TEAM rather than a product, which I find sickening. Keep in mind: I am not a Cubs fan, nor do I wish them (or their broadcasters on any level) any harm, whether it be emotional or physical, just because I am a Sox fan. However, there comes a point when the sanctity of the game is tantamount to the selling of a product, and I think that Ron Santo is the epiphany of crossing that line. Therefore, I refuse to give Santo, and his antics, any respect whatsoever and would even go so far as to say that I condone and promote the degradation of Ron Santo and everything Cub(s), whatever that may be. So go at it at whatever level you feel necessary, and please do not feel remorse, because the attendance records and TV ratings suggest that the Cubs (and Ron Santo) don't feel any either.

WSox597
10-07-2007, 08:13 AM
I wish Valverde would have clicked his heels after the third out tonight!

THAT would have been hilarious. Santo would have snapped in the radio booth. His head would have turned like in the Exorcist. :redneck

RadioheadRocks
10-07-2007, 09:36 PM
THAT would have been hilarious. Santo would have snapped in the radio booth. His head would have turned like in the Exorcist. :redneck

Watch out for the green pea soup! :D:

SOXPHILE
10-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Why did Santo click his heels? To show the pitcher up or to celebrate a rare flub victory?

Because he was a classless hotdog. He used to do if after every Cubs victory in 1969 -(That magical season, when the Cubs finished in....2nd place, no postseason appearance). We tend to forget that in this day and age of guys standing in the batters box watching their homerun, of shimmy-shaking and dancing after a touchdown, or posing and flexing in front of the camera after a slam dunk, stuff like that wasn't really done back then, and pretty much anyone who played against Santo, as well as some of his own teamates, couldn't stand the guy and these antics. I believe it was Mets manager Gil Hodges who one day called Santo a hotdog, among other things, for doing this. Santo, like the bush leaguer he was /is, let it get to him too.

ChiSoxFan81
10-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Listening to Ron Santo is like sitting next to a drunken Cubs fan who acts like every hit by the Cubs or every out recorded by the Cubs in the regular season has just clinched the World Series. Also, every play that is not favorable to the Cubs seems to have just cost them the championship. He is a joke. I find it quite amusing that he is so beloved by Cubbie nation, but is the laughingstock of the rest of the world. Take a listen to his "great" abilities:

http://www.northtonorth.com/pages/soundclips/santoohno.mp3 (http://www.northtonorth.com/pages/soundclips/santoohno.mp3)

Nellie_Fox
10-08-2007, 03:39 PM
I find it quite amusing that he is so beloved by Cubbie nation, but is the laughingstock of the rest of the world.Friends of mine who are Cubs fans find Santo embarrassing.

WSox73
10-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Forgive me if this has been stated before. No other announcer in this city
would have gotten away with the comments Santo did. And, rightly so.

MarySwiss
10-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Listening to Ron Santo is like sitting next to a drunken Cubs fan who acts like every hit by the Cubs or every out recorded by the Cubs in the regular season has just clinched the World Series. Also, every play that is not favorable to the Cubs seems to have just cost them the championship. He is a joke. I find it quite amusing that he is so beloved by Cubbie nation, but is the laughingstock of the rest of the world.

Friends of mine who are Cubs fans find Santo embarrassing.

Well, that's the thing. IMO, he wouldn't even be considered for HOF admission if he didn't play up his illness. And I find it particularly offensive since I lost a dearly loved uncle to diabetes last year. I could feel sorry for Santo if he didn't seize every opportunity to play the "poor sad unfortunate me" card. And his incredibly insensitive comments about the players who were wearing pink to raise money for the fight against breast cancer should have--IMO--gotten him fired.

Dan Mega
10-08-2007, 08:17 PM
So what? Who cares? So a sports announcer said something stupid, I mean I know its the first time a media member in the world of sports said something dumb, but why get all riled up because of it?

WhiteSoxRich
10-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Well, that's the thing. IMO, he wouldn't even be considered for HOF admission if he didn't play up his illness. And I find it particularly offensive since I lost a dearly loved uncle to diabetes last year. I could feel sorry for Santo if he didn't seize every opportunity to play the "poor sad unfortunate me" card. And his incredibly insensitive comments about the players who were wearing pink to raise money for the fight against breast cancer should have--IMO--gotten him fired.

I was talking with Moose Skowron during this last KC series, and he said "Ronnie should just shut up & quit whining about the HOF. If he gets in he gets in , but he needs to stop playing the sympathy card".

TDog
10-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Forgive me if this has been stated before. No other announcer in this city
would have gotten away with the comments Santo did. And, rightly so.

Rightly so that he can get away with such comments? Are you condoning the double standard you say exists?

MarySwiss
10-08-2007, 10:40 PM
So what? Who cares? So a sports announcer said something stupid, I mean I know its the first time a media member in the world of sports said something dumb, but why get all riled up because of it?

Dan: because remarks by stupid on-air personalities are usually called on them. Why should he be any different? See below.

...However, what happened to Don Imus when he made similar slip-up during his radio commentary? He was promptly fired from his position for making an off-hand comment (a comment which he was completely within his rights to have in his head) that offended a group of people. Then, should Santo not be fired for doing the EXACT SAME THING? I believe he should have been fired almost immediately, and there is no reason why WGN shouldn't terminate him now.

I was talking with Moose Skowron during this last KC series, and he said "Ronnie should just shut up & quit whining about the HOF. If he gets in he gets in , but he needs to stop playing the sympathy card".

I always liked Bill Skowron, and I see no reason to stop now!---

johnr1note
10-08-2007, 10:42 PM
I can see where you are coming from, Dan, but the case with Santo is different from a sports announcer saying something stupid. The thing with Dear Old Ronnie is that his entire mantra on the air is all-out stupid. He says dumb things just like the rest of the announcers, to be sure, but Santo goes way beyond the line of sheer stupidity when he continues to pour on stupid comments made from an unfathomable mind-set. His use of his illness as a bargaining chip at the HOF poker table, his flat-out rancid comments about the Mets (another MLB organization, mind you) and his profound dislike of the Mother's Day pink are all things that, when viewed separately, would be nothing more than an aging announcer making a moronic statement. However, all of the above statements have come from Santo's mouth repeatedly, showing that they are not merely mistakes on the air, but are representative of Santo's inability to control his out-of-whack thought process.

That being said, let's assume that the only dumb thing Ron Santo communicated was his hate of the players using pink on Mother's Day to support breast cancer (He even asked Pat Hughes what they were doing it for, and when he received the answer, continued on in his rant). Clearly, this would be just a slip-up in Santo's commentary on the game. However, what happened to Don Imus when he made similar slip-up during his radio commentary? He was promptly fired from his position for making an off-hand comment (a comment which he was completely within his rights to have in his head) that offended a group of people. Then, should Santo not be fired for doing the EXACT SAME THING? I believe he should have been fired almost immediately, and there is no reason why WGN shouldn't terminate him now.

All these points are valid -- but one thing about Ron is, he isn't just a baseball announcer who says stupid things every now and then, he's a bad baseball announcer. He brings nothing to the table with regard to insightful commentary other than "absolutley, Pat."

Dick Allen
10-09-2007, 11:50 AM
I'll still never forget the time Santo actually left the booth for an inning or so because he was so upset with an umpire's call.

WSox73
10-09-2007, 01:43 PM
All these points are valid -- but one thing about Ron is, he isn't just a baseball announcer who says stupid things every now and then, he's a bad baseball announcer. He brings nothing to the table with regard to insightful commentary other than "absolutley, Pat."

Thank you. :smile:

soxinem1
10-09-2007, 02:42 PM
During the 2003 NLDS Santo was ripping Robert Fick, who was playing for ATL at the time. Then he just all of a sudden he cuts off Pat Hughes and says 'God is he UGLY!' about four times in a row. Then he sat and *****ed about the HOF thing.

True, I dispise Fick as much as anyone, but why did Santo take it to such a low level. Who the hell is he, Tom Cruise? He's pretty ugly himself.

He should be more embarassed with that **** rug he wears. That thiing looks like it's about to hiss at you and take a bite out of your arm!

Is a HOF'er supposed to be such a cry-baby? You' think being an ex-player he could ad some better insight to the broadcast, but having him there is just a waste of air space.

He is also a professional drunk, so feeling sorry for his diabetes does not really matter to me. He had it since he was a kid, and he is a lush to this day.

As a player, he was not really known as a good teammate, especially with rookies.

Santo has evolved into a total joke. I hope he never gets in.

AZChiSoxFan
10-09-2007, 02:48 PM
During the 2003 NLDS Santo was ripping Robert Fick, who was playing for ATL at the time. Then he just all of a sudden he cuts off Pat Hughes and says 'God is he UGLY!' about four times in a row. Then he sat and *****ed about the HOF thing.

True, I dispise Fick as much as anyone, but why did Santo take it to such a low level. Who the hell is he, Tom Cruise? He's pretty ugly himself.

He should be more embarassed with that **** rug he wears. That thiing looks like it's about to hiss at you and take a bite out of your arm!

Is a HOF'er supposed to be such a cry-baby? You' think being an ex-player he could ad some better insight to the broadcast, but having him there is just a waste of air space.

He is also a professional drunk, so feeling sorry for his diabetes does not really matter to me. He had it since he was a kid, and he is a lush to this day.

As a player, he was not really known as a good teammate, especially with rookies.

Santo has evolved into a total joke. I hope he never gets in.

:rolling:

Dude, that's hilarious. You've got me rollin'!!!