PDA

View Full Version : Walt Jocketty fired as Cards GM

thomas35forever
10-03-2007, 03:15 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/32456B7DBB9EEC44862573690069E6D7?OpenDocument
Press conference at 4. Not the best move the Cardinals could have made.

palehozenychicty
10-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Hard to do much when your ownership contributes little to the pot. He'll find a team to build with soon.

stl_sox_fan
10-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Tony's pretty tight with Walt. Wonder if he's next to depart. Cards then might put some young talent out on the field, because in Tony's words "The Cards don't have any good young talent right now".

Fenway
10-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Hmmm

The man has won 2 pennants since 2004

He was ORDERED to slash payroll after 2004 as they needed money for the new stadium

The team WINS the World Seies last year.....and they fire HIM????

Is Tony behind this????

thedudeabides
10-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Tony's pretty tight with Walt. Wonder if he's next to depart. Cards then might put some young talent out on the field, because in Tony's words "The Cards don't have any good young talent right now".

I would imagine that'll be the end of LaRussa, as well. I've heard Jocketty has ties to Cincinnati. I can't remember where?

Fenway
10-03-2007, 03:34 PM
I would imagine that'll be the end of LaRussa, as well. I've heard Jocketty has ties to Cincinnati. I can't remember where?

Tony has been rumored for Seattle for a couple of weeks now

but his name keeps coming up somewhere else

161St and River Ave in The Bronx

If Torre doesn't win at least the pennant he is gone

hose
10-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Wow :o:

Jocketty was solid.

Viva Medias B's
10-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Message board posters on Cards Clubhouse (http://www.cardsclubhouse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19702) have not reacted favorably to this news. Callers to Paul Harris' show on KMOX are also expressing their disgust over Jocketty's firing.

Fenway
10-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Steve Stone is shaking his head in disbelief at the news

thomas35forever
10-03-2007, 03:49 PM
A lot of people in St. Louis are calling for DeWitt's head.

Viva Medias B's
10-03-2007, 03:53 PM
A lot of people in St. Louis are calling for DeWitt's head.

Maybe it's time to sell the ballclub back to the Brewery. Then again, the Brewery didn't do a good job with the Cardinals after Gussie Busch died.

Lip Man 1
10-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Considering the man's track record I am shocked by this move.

If he's done a 'bad job' (in the minds of the Cardinals front office / ownership) then I can think of maybe 20 other G.M.'s who have done an appalling job.

Lip

AZChiSoxFan
10-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Is Tony behind this????

:?:

Ummmm.....No.

Tony and Walt are very close. This clearly signals that Tony won't be back next year.

Foulke You
10-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Hmmm

The man has won 2 pennants since 2004

He was ORDERED to slash payroll after 2004 as they needed money for the new stadium

The team WINS the World Seies last year.....and they fire HIM????

Is Tony behind this????
In addition to the points you made, the Cards could very well have won the division THIS year too had it not been for the slew of injuries to Mulder, Carpenter, Encarnacion, and Rolen. This stinks of egos clashing and not a baseball related decision. I'm sure Jocketty will get a job somewhere else.

spiffie
10-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Wow...I looked down the list of threads and totally missed the Jocketty one. Please delete this mods.

nccwsfan
10-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Considering the man's track record I am shocked by this move.

If he's done a 'bad job' (in the minds of the Cardinals front office / ownership) then I can think of maybe 20 other G.M.'s who have done an appalling job.

Lip

And I can think of 20 teams that will/should be lining up to hire him. The Cardinals will regret this move in the short term and long term- at least they have their 2006 trophy.

Dan Mega
10-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Looks like another Schottenheimer/Smith debacle.

WhiteSox5187
10-04-2007, 12:18 AM
This is really just an incredibly stupid move by the Cardinals...when you look at where they were when he took over and how he built them into an NL powerhouse for years...it's just a stupid descion. However I had heard that Walt wanted out of St. Louis, he won't be unemployed for long...I know we'll never fire Kenny, but I'd love to see Walt Jocketty as GM of the White Sox.

Mohoney
10-04-2007, 03:17 AM
This is really just an incredibly stupid move by the Cardinals...when you look at where they were when he took over and how he built them into an NL powerhouse for years...it's just a stupid descion. However I had heard that Walt wanted out of St. Louis, he won't be unemployed for long...I know we'll never fire Kenny, but I'd love to see Walt Jocketty as GM of the White Sox.
If nobody offers a GM job to Jocketty this offseason, I would be thrilled if he could come in here in some capacity for a year or two. Hell, we could make up a front office position for him, couldn't we?

Having an extra baseball mind in the room who has won a World Series definitely couldn't hurt.

32nd&Wallace
10-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Tony has been rumored for Seattle for a couple of weeks now

but his name keeps coming up somewhere else

161St and River Ave in The Bronx

If Torre doesn't win at least the pennant he is goneNo way this happens. I dont think at 63 LaRussa is going to want to be a continent away from his family. I would be shocked if he is not with the Mariners next year, considering the proximity to his northern california home.

Frontman
10-04-2007, 08:30 AM
This one amazes me. Total Florida Marlins level of a move.

Amazing.

I think at 63, LaRussa might just finish out his contract and be done with ball. He's won the series as a manager, what else would he need to do to build a legacy?

It will be like many have said. Close to home, and non-stressful (at least compared to the Yanks.)

soxfanatlanta
10-04-2007, 08:40 AM
This one amazes me. Total Florida Marlins level of a move.

You just completely crystallized my thoughts! There must me more to this move.