PDA

View Full Version : This can't be true???!!!!!??????

Fenway
10-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Chet Coppick was on WEEI a few minutes ago previewing the Cubs-Arizona series.

He says that the Cubs are trying to get Steve Bartman to sing Take Me out To the Ballgame on Saturday so they can put 2003 behind them. :o:

They wouldn't

They couldn't

or could they?

Nellie_Fox
10-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Chet Coppick was on WEEI a few minutes ago previewing the Cubs-Arizona series.

He says that the Cubs are trying to get Steve Bartman to sing Take Me out To the Ballgame on Saturday so they can put 2003 behind them. They'd have to put bullet-proof glass in the booth.

WizardsofOzzie
10-03-2007, 04:07 PM
The fans would kill him.

jenn2080
they are ****ed in the head

Mr.1Dog
Or they would think it's the greatest/classiest thing to do.:?::o: Imagine the circus around that one.

sox1970
10-03-2007, 04:09 PM
They should wait until Game 3 of the World Series for that.

skottyj242
10-03-2007, 04:09 PM
It would be great to see it happen but I doubt it.

eriqjaffe
10-03-2007, 04:10 PM
As long as nothing that happens involves pasta sauce...:puking:

Fenway
10-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Or they would think it's the greatest/classiest thing to do.:?::o: Imagine the circus around that one.

If the score is 10-0 Arizona and they are down 2-0 in the series somebody would shoot him

Still in a crazy way it would be the perfect PR stunt

Fenway
10-03-2007, 04:12 PM

Bartman will be dead by then....actually we all will be

asindc
10-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Game 6 (last game in NL park) would be better if it is a survival game for the Cubs.

oeo
10-03-2007, 04:13 PM
I hope even if they ask, he turns them down. The reason they lost that game was because Alex Gonzalez booted the ground ball following the 'Bartman play.' They should be calling for his head.

Leave the guy alone, he did what almost every other fan would do (and many around him were reaching out for the ball, as well).

sox1970
10-03-2007, 04:14 PM

Eh...I don't care anymore. The White Sox won first, and that's all that matters. Do I want the Cubs to win the pennant/Series? Hell no. But I'm not going to worry about it if they do.

thomas35forever
10-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Sure, that'll work. Just like blowing up the ball was supposed to work.

Domeshot17
10-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Didnt they blow up Bartman and put him in some kind of pasta sauce at Harry Carey's restaurant

DumpJerry
10-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Game 6 (last game in NL park).
Actually, that would be Game 5 (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/ps_07.jsp).

I hope this is true. The Cubs do so well when there are distractions all around......

SoxSpeed22
10-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Didnt they blow up Bartman and put him in some kind of pasta sauce at Harry Carey's restaurantI thought they did that after he hit Mark Prior in the parking lot in 2004. (Page 2)
In all seriousness, if they win the pennant or world series, they should at least get him a ring.

asindc
10-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Actually, that would be Game 5 (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/ps_07.jsp).

I hope this is true. The Cubs do so well when there are distractions all around......

Forgot that MLB went to the 2-3-2 format for LCS and WS.

mark2olson
10-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Rhetorical question, "Is Cubs' baseball about baseball or about publicity?"

DumpJerry
10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Forgot that MLB went to the 2-3-2 format for LCS and WS.
There really was no reason for us to worry about the schedule by the time the All Star game established home field advantage.:whiner:

mrfourni
10-03-2007, 04:32 PM
If I were him, I'd turn them down. In fact I wouldn't even consider myself a fan of the team that probably put me through probably the worst 4 years of my life.

The Cubs (tribune) could have done a HELL of a lot more to kill that story but let it get out of hand.

DSpivack
10-03-2007, 04:37 PM
If I were him, I'd turn them down. In fact I wouldn't even consider myself a fan of the team that probably put me through probably the worst 4 years of my life.

The Cubs (tribune) could have done a HELL of a lot more to kill that story but let it get out of hand.

Of course they let it get out of hand! Otherwise the blame would laid upon Alex Gonzalez. The Cubs main purpose is to distract their fandom from having any notions at all that the blame for 99 years of losing has anything to do with the team.

SBSoxFan
10-03-2007, 04:49 PM
I hope even if they ask, he turns them down. The reason they lost that game was because Alex Gonzalez booted the ground ball following the 'Bartman play.' They should be calling for his head.

Leave the guy alone, he did what almost every other fan would do (and many around him were reaching out for the ball, as well).

Is he available to sing? :dunno:

JermaineDye05
10-03-2007, 04:55 PM
I like the idea as it will show the true Cub fans. All the so called 'fans' will boo the hell out of him while the rest probably won't give a damn since they know it wasn't his fault in 2003.

kjhanson
10-03-2007, 05:00 PM

Speak for yourself Fenway; I plan on living until I'm at least 400-500 years old.

On second thought, that still may not be enough time...

SOXPHILE
10-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Stupidest fans cheering for the losingest orgnaization in pro-sports. Sure, why not. Do it. It will just be another episode in the continuing stupidity/con/circus act that has been going on at 1060 W. Addison since 1945.

Sacrafice flies, hit and run, righty vs lefty matchups ? The hell with that talk ! Chatting on the cell phone, getting a tan, drinking myself into oblivion while I wear my backwards hat and pookah beads, and sing the 7th inning stretch with whatever B, C, D, and E list "celebrity" who needs to pimp his/her movie/book/latest cause ? Now THAT'S baseball, dude !

Iwritecode
10-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Sure, that'll work. Just like blowing up the ball was supposed to work.

Wait, I thought they were suffering from the curse of the goat. Or was it the black cat?

How many curses do they have again? I've lost track... :nuts:

DumpJerry
10-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Is he available to sing? :dunno:
Since when was that a requirement?

itsnotrequired
10-03-2007, 05:43 PM
They should serve the infamous "pasta sauce" over a dead goat and have Bartman eat it atop the Sears Tower. Then we'll all be living the dream.

Dont Stop Belivn
10-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Jesus Christ. This has to be a ****ing joke. Do they love beating themselves unmercifuly with all these "curses"?

Martinigirl
10-03-2007, 05:49 PM
After all the crap that man has gone through because of the fans of that team, he would have to be insane with absolutely no sense of self worth to accept.

PennStater98r
10-03-2007, 06:14 PM
For the Cubs - it's never been about winning the Series. It's about selling papers!

MarySwiss
10-03-2007, 07:25 PM

I agree with this. There was a suggestion on AZ Central's comment section that one of the D'Backs sponsors should put together a quick promotion--Steve Bartman masks. I think that's a terrible idea.
MARK PRIOR masks, however, might be appropriate. :D:

Fenway
10-04-2007, 10:25 AM
This New York Times article on Bartman may have started the only circus

Since issuing a public apology the next day, Bartman has avoided the spotlight. His deed, his desire for privacy and his place in Chicago’s civic lore have made him an odd blend of Bill Buckner, Greta Garbo and Mrs. O’Leary’s cow.

But would the Cubs welcome Bartman back into Wrigley Field as they again attempt to win a World Series for the first time in almost a century?
“If he were to buy a ticket and come in,” McDonough said. “Sure.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/03/sports/baseball/03cubs.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

FedEx227
10-04-2007, 11:30 AM

My friend and I went over this scenario the other day....

It's really amazing to look at what went down AFTER the Bartman incident and how Cub fans can honestly blame Bartman and not Alex Gonzalez or Mark Prior is beyond me.

-Bartman Ball & Walk of Castillo/Score: 3-0
-Wild Pitch moves Pierre to Third/Score: 3-0
-Pudge single, scores Pierre/Score: 3-1
-Gonzalez error, bases loaded/Score: 3-1
-Lee double, scoring Pierre and Pudge/Score: 3-3

All this happened just to TIE THE GAME, not to mention the five other runs surrender in that inning. It's ridiculous that Cub fans are still on Bartman.

9-pitch walk, wild pitch, first pitch single, error, first pitch double.

soxinem1
10-04-2007, 12:12 PM
It would be the classy thing to do, but class is not a quality affiliated with that fan base.

They would need the Secret Service, CIA, FBI, and SWAT to protect him.

Would it be worth it?

Mohoney
10-05-2007, 01:01 AM

I don't think Bartman will still be alive in the year 4084.

RadioheadRocks
10-05-2007, 04:59 AM
Rhetorical question, "Is Cubs' baseball about baseball or about publicity?"

POTW!!!!!

C-Dawg
10-05-2007, 07:23 AM
It's really amazing to look at what went down AFTER the Bartman incident and how Cub fans can honestly blame Bartman and not Alex Gonzalez or Mark Prior is beyond me.

I think they should blame that slippery spot in RF where Sammy Sosa slipped and let a single go for extra bases in Game 7. The grass at that location should be destroyed with a flame thrower and the ashes sprinkled all around Harry Carey's gravesite.

(In all honesty I didn't watch any of the 2003 Cub postseason; this one little moment happened to be on in the gas station where I stopped to fill up that evening - looking back at the circus that Games 6 and 7 turned into, I'm a little sorry I didn't stay home and watch!)

Fenway
10-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Santo told WFAN yesterday that he is at fault not Bartman.

Santo was ill and did not work the 2003 playoffs but with six outs to go his doctor said he could delay the operation and the Cubs were going to send a private plane for him to come back to Chicago to do the World Series.

He got off the phone and then Bartman happened.