PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Rosters

alohafri
10-03-2007, 08:27 AM
I thought that September call ups were not eligible for the playoff roster. Is this a change?

skottyj242
10-03-2007, 08:51 AM
No they are not the rule is still the same. I believe if someone gets hurt though you can replace them with whomever you want though. What specific case are you talking about? I was wondering about the Cubs catcher Soto myself. I think he had was up at some point in the season.

itsnotrequired
10-03-2007, 08:59 AM
No they are not the rule is still the same. I believe if someone gets hurt though you can replace them with whomever you want though. What specific case are you talking about? I was wondering about the Cubs catcher Soto myself. I think he had was up at some point in the season.

My understanding is that if a player is on the 60-day DL, another player can be added to the postseason roster if they play at the same position. Blanco was placed on the 60-day DL in the middle of August and I'm guessing the Cubs flagged Soto as a possible replacement.

skottyj242
10-03-2007, 09:04 AM
My understanding is that if a player is on the 60-day DL, another player can be added to the postseason roster if they play at the same position. Blanco was placed on the 60-day DL in the middle of August and I'm guessing the Cubs flagged Soto as a possible replacement.

That's what I thought. Gotta love Hank White.

sox1970
10-03-2007, 09:05 AM
You can do whatever you want with your own organization's players. it's just players from other organizaitions that have to be on the roster before September 1. Tracshel was traded for on Aug. 31.

itsnotrequired
10-03-2007, 09:09 AM
You can do whatever you want with your own organization's players. it's just players from other organizaitions that have to be on the roster before September 1. Tracshel was traded for on Aug. 31.

That isn't entirely true. Soto would not be eligible for the postseason as he wasn't recalled until September 1 (after playoff rosters had been set). Another player at the same position (Blanco) having been previously placed on the 60-day DL offered him the opportunity to be listed as eligible for the postseason.

The other quirk to the rule is that the player must have been in the organization on August 31, which Soto was.

Tracshel wasn't a September callup so it doesn't matter in his case.

sox1970
10-03-2007, 09:15 AM
That isn't entirely true. Soto would not be eligible for the postseason as he wasn't recalled until September 1 (after playoff rosters had been set). Another player at the same position (Blanco) having been previously placed on the 60-day DL offered him the opportunity to be listed as eligible for the postseason.

The other quirk to the rule is that the player must have been in the organization on August 31, which Soto was.

Tracshel wasn't a September callup so it doesn't matter in his case.

Then how did Francisco Rodriguez make it on the Angels roster in 2002?

itsnotrequired
10-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Then how did Francisco Rodriguez make it on the Angels roster in 2002?

The rules are a little vague on whether it applies to the 60-man or 15-man DL. Sele (a pitcher) was on the 15-day DL at the time and it appears that Rodriguez took his place. But Sele was recalled later on so there is some confusion there. Perhaps it was an oversight by MLB? In any event, MLB approves postseason rosters so there would be little recourse, if any.

EDIT: It looks like Rodriguez took the place of Steve Green, a pitcher placed on the 60-day DL way back in spring training. So the same rule was followed. It seems like a huge loophole though. I could understand a late season replacement for an injured player but using the DL status of a player from spring training? Seems a little excessive. He wasn't even on the 40-man on August 31 which does seem like he should be ineligible, regardless of the 60-day DL loophole. Oh well, too late now...

salty99
10-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Traschel didn't even make the roster anyway, however Kevin Hart and Soto did.