PDA

View Full Version : FOX SPORTS: We want Cubs-Red Sox series

Fenway
10-03-2007, 08:18 AM
from Ed Goren who is in charge of FOX Sports

Although the perfect culmination of this baseball season might be a World Series between these teams, Goren says the ultimate drama would be a showdown between the Cubs and Red Sox.

"Now that the Red Sox have won," Goren says, "the Cubs are the missing piece.

"We're in the middle of football (on Sunday), and someone says, 'Wouldn't it be great to see the Red Sox and Cubs in the World Series?' I turned around and said, 'If that happened, what would I have left in life?' I would have to retire. You want that at some point, but do you want all of that now?

"And then," Goren says, "there are some sick people that can see the Red Sox and Cubs go down to the ninth inning of Game 7, something goes wrong, and the World Series is canceled.
"Could you imagine?"

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/playoffs/2007-10-02-dreamoctober_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/playoffs/2007-10-02-dreamoctober_N.htm)

MarySwiss
10-03-2007, 08:23 AM
C'mon, Fens! I haven't had breakfast yet and this thread title alone was enough to make me gag. :puking:

SoxFan78
10-03-2007, 08:24 AM
This makes me sick that the head of Fox Sports is saying this. Yes I know, blah blah blah ratings money blah blah blah.

But when he says that since the Red Sox won the only missing piece is the Cubs, it shows that Hype proceeds records for teams. Nobody said this **** when the White Sox were going for the championship. The Sox had a longer drought then the Red Cubs. But nobody mentioned that.

**** Fox

Fenway
10-03-2007, 08:32 AM
C'mon, Fens! I haven't had breakfast yet and this thread title alone was enough to make me gag. :puking:

If Boston is lucky to advance I want Philadelphia. Of the 4 teams in the NL the last one I want to see in Fenway are the Cubs.

A Boston-Philly series would be fun and drive that small little hamlet between us nuts.

voodoochile
10-03-2007, 08:34 AM
This makes me sick that the head of Fox Sports is saying this. Yes I know, blah blah blah ratings money blah blah blah.

But when he says that since the Red Sox won the only missing piece is the Cubs, it shows that Hype proceeds records for teams. Nobody said this **** when the White Sox were going for the championship. The Sox had a longer drought then the Red Cubs. But nobody mentioned that.

**** Fox

We're not lovable. We don't embrace losing or believe in curses. We don't ***** and whine for the cameras. We don't have Bartman or Bucky ****ing Dent. Our team was the team which finally got caught and busted fixing a World Series back when it was fairly commonplace to do something like that. When we won our World Series a few years ago, we didn't do it with flair, we simply went out and played good baseball and won 11 or the 12 games we played in the post season costing FOX a lot of advertising revenue. That's the real reason they want those two teams as many times as they blow games and find a way to stuff victory into the jaws of defeat, FOX is ensured a big fat payday...

Iwritecode
10-03-2007, 10:16 AM
The Red Sox already have their championship. If anything they should want the Cubs and Indians since they are the two teams that have gone the longest without.

tebman
10-03-2007, 10:21 AM
This is no surprise. TV producers traffic in hype and mythology with tens of millions of dollars at stake. The Cubs and Red Sox have been inflated into fairy-tale cartoon versions of baseball teams by hype and puffery, and the network sees a more fanciful story to tell and the chance to make more money doing it.

If they weren't all such scoundrels, I might have to admire their skill. :tongue:

itsnotrequired
10-03-2007, 10:23 AM

What else is it about besides money? Fox has paid a set fee for the rights to broadcast the games. The more marquee the matchup, the more they can charge for commercial spots.

:dunno:

Fenway
10-03-2007, 10:26 AM
The Red Sox already have their championship. If anything they should want the Cubs and Indians since they are the two teams that have gone the longest without.

The Indians won the World Series in this forgotten ballpark in 1948
http://www.dugout-memories.com/goffbrav.jpg
http://baseball-fever.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18741&d=1170448142

mccoydp
10-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Mike Celizic posted the same sickening tripe on MSNBC yesterday.

I was going to post the link, but figured someone else would beat me to it.

I've seen quite a few bandwagoner Scrub fans here in the K.C. area...guess they think they have a shot this year.

asindc
10-03-2007, 10:29 AM
What else is it about besides money? Fox has paid a set fee for the rights to broadcast the games. The more marquee the matchup, the more they can charge for commercial spots.

Exactly. As much as we would hate to see it, Fox executives can count dollars with the best of them. No use in pretending that they would be just as excited about a LAAAAAAA-Colorado WS.

Fenway
10-03-2007, 10:35 AM

Plus FOX has been hurt by short World Series the past few years. The LCS's of 03, 04 and last year saved them from taking a bath.

In any event you have 5 of the top 7 TV markets still alive

1 New York
2 Los Angeles
3 Chicago
4 Philadelphia
7 Boston

SOXPHILE
10-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Everybody's saying this. Cal Ripken actually said something to the effect of "If your a baseball fan, you have to be rooting for the Cubs". Uhhh...Cal, your a class act, loved you as a player, but...NO. I am a baseball fan. I watch other baseball games besides the White Sox, and follow the league and the standings throughout the year. I am not rooting for the Cubs.

Then, yesterday on Hanley & Mulligan, they were interviewing Alyssa Milano for some reason, and she comes out and says the same thing. I'm hearing this over and over again from all different media outlets. Pisses me off to no ends....

jackbrohamer
10-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Plus FOX has been hurt by short World Series the past few years. The LCS's of 03, 04 and last year saved them from taking a bath.

That's in part due to the horrible MLB coverage of the World Series on FOX, including their train-wreck pregame Jeannie Zelasko show and the 2 braying asses who announce the games.

asindc
10-03-2007, 11:49 AM
That's in part due to the horrible MLB coverage of the World Series on FOX, including their train-wreck pregame Jeannie Zelasko show and the 2 braying asses who announce the games.

I agree with this. Just what qualifies Zelasko to host a basebal pre-game show?

Iwritecode
10-03-2007, 12:04 PM
The Indians won the World Series in this forgotten ballpark in 1948

The Cubs won the World Series in some other forgotten ballpark 40 years prior.

thomas35forever
10-03-2007, 12:09 PM
**** FOX Sports. **** Joe Buck. **** Jeanie Zelasko and everyone else over there. They're getting whoever comes out of their respective leagues. If they don't like who makes the Big Show, too bad. They can just do this and not be able to do anything about it::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

Fenway
10-03-2007, 12:14 PM
The Cubs won the World Series in some other forgotten ballpark 40 years prior.

West Side Park Even in 1908 The Tribune made itself known to Cub fans
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/90/West_Side_Grounds_1908.jpg/300px-West_Side_Grounds_1908.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:West_Side_Grounds_1908.jpg)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4e/West_Side_Grounds_Action_2.jpg/250px-West_Side_Grounds_Action_2.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:West_Side_Grounds_Action_2.jpg)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=s+wood+and+w+polk+chicago&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.610437,66.269531&ie=UTF8&ll=41.872006,-87.671456&spn=0.007478,0.016179&z=16&om=1

It was across the street from Cook County ( Stroger Hospital )

Hokiesox
10-03-2007, 01:06 PM
If it weren't for Tim McCarver, I wouldn't know what a drop-and-drive pitcher is!

Thank you Mr. McCarver. Now go take a long walk out the window of the pressbox.

C-Dawg
10-03-2007, 01:40 PM
The Cubs and Red Sox are the two teams I LEAST want to see in the WS.

thomas35forever
10-03-2007, 01:43 PM
If it weren't for Tim McCarver, I wouldn't know what a drop-and-drive pitcher is!
Remember, he also taught us that it takes over five hours to fly from Baltimore to Iceland.

Zisk77
10-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Remember, he also taught us that it takes over five hours to fly from Baltimore to Iceland.

He also said that "lights out Lidge" didn't have that bad taste in his mouth anymore from the Pujols blast right as Pods swung and hit a ball over some fencing and their was much rejoicing.:D:

ode to veeck
10-04-2007, 11:00 AM

Exactly, they're even worse than the piss poor teams doing the ALDS/NLDS. I just turn the sound off entirely when Buck or McCarver are doing anything.