PDA

View Full Version : Diamondbacks fans "Distasteful"? ABC 7 thinks so!

Soxfanspcu11
10-03-2007, 02:31 AM
I'm watching the replay of ABC's 10pm news and they just had a quick little segment about the cubs/Diamondback's series.

They were talking about how many people in Arizona are transplants from other areas of the country and how many people in Arizona are cubs fans. The reporter made SURE to mention that the game was not yet "Sold Out", as if that was the most important thing about the game.

That wasn't even the silly part. The part that was lame as can be is that the reporter said that the Diamondbacks' "Fan Rally" was "Distasteful" because the fans were chanting, "Beat the cubs! Beat the cubs! Beat the cubs!"

Excuse a mawh??:?: Dear ABC, how is that "distasteful"???:?:

The Diamondbacks fans were simply chanting, "Beat the cubs". What is the problem with that?!?!? It's not like they were chanting, "1908" or "Choke" or "Steve Bartman". They were just having fun at the rally, and chanting and cheering for their team to beat the cubs!

I didn't realize that cheering for your team was considered to be "Distasteful", but I guess that if you dare cheer for ANY team over the cubs, it's "Distasteful", or something?:?: :rolleyes:

hsnterprize
10-03-2007, 02:44 AM
...the typical Cub fan is coming out in full force not only in person in Phoenix, but on the Diamondbacks' fan forum on their website. Granted...the MLB forums aren't the best policed and all, but stupidity is in full force over there, and the Cub fans are firing the "stupid" bullets.

I decided to take the chance and extend some love and knowledge to the Diamondbacks fans, and to fight off some of the typical Cub propaganda that's being touted on that site. Here's a sample of what I've written in response to a Cub fan bragging about attendance both at Wrigley and away, with my response written afterwards.

"The only thing people find funny about the Cubs is that we haven't won a WS in a long time. There is no team, and I mean no team that has a more loyal following than the Cubs. How do you explain that in almost any ballpark we play in, we have an equal share, if not the majority share of the fans? Compare that to you and your sorry excuse for fans in AZ. You guys are pathetic. You barely fill half the park and regularly draw 1M less fans than the Cubs. All we are guilty of is not winning a WS in a long time. You guys have won recently and still don't support your team."

So...I decide to respond.

Let me answer that question...when your team is exposed NATIONALLY like they are on WGN-TV (local and Superstation); your overrated, overhyped, "concrete falling from the upper deck and hitting fans on the head", urine-smelling, cramped concourse ballpark is marketed as a Chicago tourist attraction; the neighborhood around Wrigley Field a virtual sespool of bars (it ain't called "The World's Largest Beer Garden" because of a micro-brewery in the concourse, mind you); and the team owned by a MAJOR media company like the Tribune Company (which owns WGN TV, Superstation WGN, WGN Radio in Chicago, a Chicago-based CNN-style cable channel (CLTV), several T.V. stations across the country, the Chicago Tribune Newspaper, several papers along the east coast, the L.A. Times, the New York Post, CareerBuilder.com, Cars.com, and parts of the Food Network, Fine Living Network, HGTV, and DIY Channel)...you'd EXPECT Wrigley Field to be full every day. Much of the people there are tourists...many of the locals can't affors to go there because of all the social drunks and what not buying all the tickets. You know this already, but many of the people going to Wrigley are only there to socialize and be seen.

This cyber-Cub fan doesn't like the fact someone who knows a few things about the Cubbie myth decided to hurl a childish rant at my direction...

you know nothing about Wrigley except what the other AZ misfits tell you. More than likely you have never even been to Wrigley. Yea, it's an older park so something had to be repaired. You are clueless about every thing you spoke except one thing - we havn't won in a long time. I have no control over the Cubs winning. The issue we are talking about is fan support and loyalty. You will never achieve the level of fan support that the Cubs have. What has the locals not being able to afford tix got to do with other people buying the tix? Other people buying tix makes it more expensive for the locals? You're a moor.on. You really don't know what you are talking about. The tourists are not the ones at Wrigley and, for people who only want to be seen, we make 50x more noise than you puzzies do.

Your only claim to fame is a WS in the recent past - that is it. Your park is nothing special (when true sports fans talk about the great ball parks, what names do you think come up? Wrigley, Fenway, Yankee Stadium - not that concrete jungle you call a park). Your fans fail to fill 50% of the park and draw 1M less than the Cubs. Our team has world-wide following and fans that travel with them in numbers that exceed the team they are visiting. You are a fool if you even try and compare your park or your fans to the Cubs. You better hope you win the WS again otherwise you will have nothing to talk about.

After a few other posters put this schlep in his place, it's my turn to pounce...

Okay, genius...a few background notes here.

First...I'm a NATIVE CHICAGOAN. Secondly, I'm a part of the CHICAGO MEDIA. Third...I've covered games at both Wrigley Field and U.S. Cellular Field, and I can assure you I know what I'm talking about to when I tell the D-Backs fans about the "fraud" about the "loyal fan base" of the Cubs. Sure, your team has "loyal fans"...but not as much as you'd like to think.

I'm laughing at your childish insults. At least have enough sense to back up your claims and such. You can also talk about me and my love for the White Sox all you want. But right now...the ONLY thing you and other Cubs fans have to brag about is a large fan base (thanks in part to your team's national exposure on WGN Superstation and everything else I said). You'd better draw more than 3 million fans a year if your games are televised all over the country every day. Mayor Daley and the tourist boards here in Chicago love it when people come here and spend money. And the ultimate difference between our 2 teams...when your team was 5 outs away from winning a pennant, they choked. Wnen MY team was 5 outs away from winning a pennant, they got the job done. All the "noise" the people make at your ballpark means nothing if your team doesn't have anything to back it up with. Remember...your team can draw 3 million fans in one SEASON, but my team is the only Chicago baseball team to draw nearly 2 million fans in ONE DAY (the CHAMPIONSHIP parade through Chicago after the Sox won, not choked in, the 2005 World Series).

And so what if your ballpark is considered "special"? Have you ever wondered "why" that is? Here's a hint...the Tribune Company's seemingly endless pocket towards ballpark renovations. If it weren't for that, Wrigley would've gone down a long time ago. There was a time when the upper deck at Wrigley was closed off because no one was going to games. Why...because they stunk up the joint then just like now.

As of now, this dope hasn't responded. But I'm just ticked at the ineptitude this knucklehead is showing once his myths about "large fan bases" and "loyal fans" get exposed. And the funny thing is...the D-Backs fans say they know the Cubs fans are coming, and they're getting ready for them.

If ABC 7 says Diamondbacks fans are "distateful" for cheering on their own team, the Giangreco is going to have to apologize again for acting like a fan when the D-Backs win this series.

Ex-Chicagoan
10-03-2007, 05:10 AM
Same type of thing has evolved in the CBS Sportsline discussions... a guy trying to be clever about "our fans come to drink beer and cheer for the cubs - your fans come to drink beer and beat up 3rd base coaches."

My reply:

Ah, yes. The default Cub "fan" argument. Was that the game where Eric Dybas got drunk at Wrigley Field, found the Red Line, and went to the Sox game specifically to disrupt the game?

Let me help with your post: "Cub fans go to cubs game (?) to cheer on their team, drink beer, and occasionally run onto the field, taunt players they dislike with racial epithets, steal hats from opposing pitchers in their bullpen, litter the field with debris. and then, once in a while, shoot and kill each other outside their ballpark." I mean, as long as we're painting with a broad brush...

Under no circumstances should a Cub fan ever, ever talk about bad behavior at games to anyone.

PatK
10-03-2007, 07:05 AM
I think they are more upset because it was Mark Grace that started the chant.

white sox bill
10-03-2007, 07:24 AM
How dare anyone root against our beloved cute and cuddly's! Don't those nasty people know the Cubs are America's team? Everybody loves the Cubs! Damn those terrorists!! May they die a slow and painfull death!

DumpJerry
10-03-2007, 07:55 AM
I think they are more upset because it was Mark Grace that started the chant.

Beat me to it.

How dare anyone root against our beloved cute and cuddly's! Don't those nasty people know the Cubs are America's team? Everybody loves the Cubs! Damn those terrorists!! May they die a slow and painfull death!
My eyes!!!!!!
:tealtutor:

Railsplitter
10-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Just another example of how worthless a fluff-fest ABC7's I'm Witless News has become.

hsnterprize
10-03-2007, 08:38 AM
Same type of thing has evolved in the CBS Sportsline discussions... a guy trying to be clever about "our fans come to drink beer and cheer for the cubs - your fans come to drink beer and beat up 3rd base coaches."

My reply:

Ah, yes. The default Cub "fan" argument. Was that the game where Eric Dybas got drunk at Wrigley Field, found the Red Line, and went to the Sox game specifically to disrupt the game?

Let me help with your post: "Cub fans go to cubs game (?) to cheer on their team, drink beer, and occasionally run onto the field, taunt players they dislike with racial epithets, steal hats from opposing pitchers in their bullpen, litter the field with debris. and then, once in a while, shoot and kill each other outside their ballpark." I mean, as long as we're painting with a broad brush...

Under no circumstances should a Cub fan ever, ever talk about bad behavior at games to anyone.Here are some replies D-Backs fans said to me after my "olive branch" to them...

honestly, the WhiteSox fans i've met at Spring Training games here in AZ have been very cool. i meet new ones each year, new to me that is, and have had some great exchanges. but, i couldn't think more highly of their club anyway, and their fans haven't proven otherwise.

now as far as Cubs fans go....

truth is... most Dback fans consider this season a success already. and we're stoked to see our young team here in October.

agreed with TM, White Sox fans are very cool, very respectful... total polar (or bipolar) opposites of Scrubs fans. thanks for the well-wishes. I like your team and Ozzie... I hope you do well again next season.

Needless to say, the Diamondbacks fans agree with me, while the Cubs fans don't like me too much. By the way, that idiot who challenged me on my credentials STILL hasn't replied to me my response directly. He's taken a few pot shots at me on other threads, but for the most part, he proves what we already know...hit 'em with the truth, and they run. Only the "real" Cubs fans will either put up a legitimate fight, or actually agree with you.

itsnotrequired
10-03-2007, 08:52 AM
So there is a Sox fan-Cub fan spat happening on a Diamondbacks site? Awesome.

MarySwiss
10-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Here are some replies D-Backs fans said to me after my "olive branch" to them...

Needless to say, the Diamondbacks fans agree with me, while the Cubs fans don't like me too much. By the way, that idiot who challenged me on my credentials STILL hasn't replied to me my response directly. He's taken a few pot shots at me on other threads, but for the most part, he proves what we already know...hit 'em with the truth, and they run. Only the "real" Cubs fans will either put up a legitimate fight, or actually agree with you.

Nicely done! Thanks for the support! :D:

MarySwiss
10-03-2007, 09:20 AM
I just finished the Republic sports section. Looks like people might be starting to wake up around here. Plenty of D'Backs coverage, including a couple of full-page ads and posters and a very entertaining Dan Bickley column which begins with "Curses are for fools and losers" and gets even better from there.

link (http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/DanBickley/8131)

eriqjaffe
10-03-2007, 09:48 AM
...the typical Cub fan is coming out in full force not only in person in Phoenix, but on the Diamondbacks' fan forum on their website. Granted...the MLB forums aren't the best policed and all, but stupidity is in full force over there, and the Cub fans are firing the "stupid" bullets.

I decided to take the chance and extend some love and knowledge to the Diamondbacks fans, and to fight off some of the typical Cub propaganda that's being touted on that site. Here's a sample of what I've written in response to a Cub fan bragging about attendance both at Wrigley and away, with my response written afterwards.

"The only thing people find funny about the Cubs is that we haven't won a WS in a long time. There is no team, and I mean no team that has a more loyal following than the Cubs. How do you explain that in almost any ballpark we play in, we have an equal share, if not the majority share of the fans? Compare that to you and your sorry excuse for fans in AZ. You guys are pathetic. You barely fill half the park and regularly draw 1M less fans than the Cubs. All we are guilty of is not winning a WS in a long time. You guys have won recently and still don't support your team."

So...I decide to respond.

Let me answer that question...when your team is exposed NATIONALLY like they are on WGN-TV (local and Superstation); your overrated, overhyped, "concrete falling from the upper deck and hitting fans on the head", urine-smelling, cramped concourse ballpark is marketed as a Chicago tourist attraction; the neighborhood around Wrigley Field a virtual sespool of bars (it ain't called "The World's Largest Beer Garden" because of a micro-brewery in the concourse, mind you); and the team owned by a MAJOR media company like the Tribune Company (which owns WGN TV, Superstation WGN, WGN Radio in Chicago, a Chicago-based CNN-style cable channel (CLTV), several T.V. stations across the country, the Chicago Tribune Newspaper, several papers along the east coast, the L.A. Times, the New York Post, CareerBuilder.com, Cars.com, and parts of the Food Network, Fine Living Network, HGTV, and DIY Channel)...you'd EXPECT Wrigley Field to be full every day. Much of the people there are tourists...many of the locals can't affors to go there because of all the social drunks and what not buying all the tickets. You know this already, but many of the people going to Wrigley are only there to socialize and be seen.

This cyber-Cub fan doesn't like the fact someone who knows a few things about the Cubbie myth decided to hurl a childish rant at my direction...

you know nothing about Wrigley except what the other AZ misfits tell you. More than likely you have never even been to Wrigley. Yea, it's an older park so something had to be repaired. You are clueless about every thing you spoke except one thing - we havn't won in a long time. I have no control over the Cubs winning. The issue we are talking about is fan support and loyalty. You will never achieve the level of fan support that the Cubs have. What has the locals not being able to afford tix got to do with other people buying the tix? Other people buying tix makes it more expensive for the locals? You're a moor.on. You really don't know what you are talking about. The tourists are not the ones at Wrigley and, for people who only want to be seen, we make 50x more noise than you puzzies do.

Your only claim to fame is a WS in the recent past - that is it. Your park is nothing special (when true sports fans talk about the great ball parks, what names do you think come up? Wrigley, Fenway, Yankee Stadium - not that concrete jungle you call a park). Your fans fail to fill 50% of the park and draw 1M less than the Cubs. Our team has world-wide following and fans that travel with them in numbers that exceed the team they are visiting. You are a fool if you even try and compare your park or your fans to the Cubs. You better hope you win the WS again otherwise you will have nothing to talk about.

After a few other posters put this schlep in his place, it's my turn to pounce...

Okay, genius...a few background notes here.

First...I'm a NATIVE CHICAGOAN. Secondly, I'm a part of the CHICAGO MEDIA. Third...I've covered games at both Wrigley Field and U.S. Cellular Field, and I can assure you I know what I'm talking about to when I tell the D-Backs fans about the "fraud" about the "loyal fan base" of the Cubs. Sure, your team has "loyal fans"...but not as much as you'd like to think.

I'm laughing at your childish insults. At least have enough sense to back up your claims and such. You can also talk about me and my love for the White Sox all you want. But right now...the ONLY thing you and other Cubs fans have to brag about is a large fan base (thanks in part to your team's national exposure on WGN Superstation and everything else I said). You'd better draw more than 3 million fans a year if your games are televised all over the country every day. Mayor Daley and the tourist boards here in Chicago love it when people come here and spend money. And the ultimate difference between our 2 teams...when your team was 5 outs away from winning a pennant, they choked. Wnen MY team was 5 outs away from winning a pennant, they got the job done. All the "noise" the people make at your ballpark means nothing if your team doesn't have anything to back it up with. Remember...your team can draw 3 million fans in one SEASON, but my team is the only Chicago baseball team to draw nearly 2 million fans in ONE DAY (the CHAMPIONSHIP parade through Chicago after the Sox won, not choked in, the 2005 World Series).

And so what if your ballpark is considered "special"? Have you ever wondered "why" that is? Here's a hint...the Tribune Company's seemingly endless pocket towards ballpark renovations. If it weren't for that, Wrigley would've gone down a long time ago. There was a time when the upper deck at Wrigley was closed off because no one was going to games. Why...because they stunk up the joint then just like now.

As of now, this dope hasn't responded. But I'm just ticked at the ineptitude this knucklehead is showing once his myths about "large fan bases" and "loyal fans" get exposed. And the funny thing is...the D-Backs fans say they know the Cubs fans are coming, and they're getting ready for them.

If ABC 7 says Diamondbacks fans are "distateful" for cheering on their own team, the Giangreco is going to have to apologize again for acting like a fan when the D-Backs win this series. This is why I completely avoid the MLB.com message boards. Being upset by irrational conversation there is like visiting the Primate House and being surprised when they fling poop at you.

hi im skot
10-03-2007, 09:52 AM
This is why I completely avoid the MLB.com message boards. Being upset by irrational conversation there is like visiting the Primate House and being surprised when they fling poop at you.
:rolling:

October26
10-03-2007, 10:03 AM
I just finished the Republic sports section. Looks like people might be starting to wake up around here. Plenty of D'Backs coverage, including a couple of full-page ads and posters and a very entertaining Dan Bickley column which begins with "Curses are for fools and losers" and gets even better from there.

Thanks for posting. Interesting article.

Viva Medias B's
10-03-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm watching the replay of ABC's 10pm news and they just had a quick little segment about the cubs/Diamondback's series.

They were talking about how many people in Arizona are transplants from other areas of the country and how many people in Arizona are cubs fans. The reporter made SURE to mention that the game was not yet "Sold Out", as if that was the most important thing about the game.

That wasn't even the silly part. The part that was lame as can be is that the reporter said that the Diamondbacks' "Fan Rally" was "Distasteful" because the fans were chanting, "Beat the cubs! Beat the cubs! Beat the cubs!"

Excuse a mawh??:?: Dear ABC, how is that "distasteful"???:?:

The Diamondbacks fans were simply chanting, "Beat the cubs". What is the problem with that?!?!? It's not like they were chanting, "1908" or "Choke" or "Steve Bartman". They were just having fun at the rally, and chanting and cheering for their team to beat the cubs!

I didn't realize that cheering for your team was considered to be "Distasteful", but I guess that if you dare cheer for ANY team over the cubs, it's "Distasteful", or something?:?: :rolleyes:

That is why I cannot stand ABC 7. The fact that they remain No. 1 in the ratings convinces me that Chicago area television viewers are stupid.

Martinigirl
10-03-2007, 03:49 PM
I actually find Channels 2 & 5 far more biased towards the Cubs than 7.

minutia
10-03-2007, 04:06 PM
This may be off topic but it has been bugging me. I was watching NBC's Saturday morning news show and the sports guy was talking about how the Cubs will be the Red Sox when they get that far. In 2005 the White Sox were doomed from the time they cliched the division but the Cubs have it won already. I know this is a bit of a dead horse topic but it bugged me and I had to get it out.

thomas35forever
10-03-2007, 04:21 PM
When the Astros won the pennant, their fans were chanting "Beat the Sox" at a rally. Why wasn't the local media pissed about that?

Lip Man 1
10-03-2007, 05:30 PM
This says it all...from Kentucky Sports Radio, he's one of the web site hosts::

"I am a Cincinnati Reds fan so the thought of actually cheering for my own favorite team to win the World Series is damned near a foreign concept to me. On of the joys of the post season for me is cheering against teams whose fans are completely obnoxious. So here's to seeing the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs all go down in flames. Don't give me the crap about how the Sox are the antithesis of the Yankees, because they aren't. They're more like the less successful younger brother of the Yankees. Yankees fans and Red Sox fans are of the same ilk and are equally as hateable these days. As to the Cubs, well 90% of all Cubs fans have never lived in Chicago and have no connection with the team other than seeing them on television growing up. Yes, I have scientific data to prove this. It goes like this: Me: So I see you're a Cubs fan. Them: Yep. Me: You grow up near Chicago. Them: Nope. Born and raised in Kentucky. Me: Why are you such a huge fan them. Them: I used to watch them on TV after school. There you go. All the damn research you can handle. In conclusion, they're the three biggest bandwagon franchises in Major League Baseball and I hope they all fail miserably."

LOL

Lip

esbrechtel
10-03-2007, 07:20 PM

"I am a Cincinnati Reds fan so the thought of actually cheering for my own favorite team to win the World Series is damned near a foreign concept to me. On of the joys of the post season for me is cheering against teams whose fans are completely obnoxious. So here's to seeing the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs all go down in flames. Don't give me the crap about how the Sox are the antithesis of the Yankees, because they aren't. They're more like the less successful younger brother of the Yankees. Yankees fans and Red Sox fans are of the same ilk and are equally as hateable these days. As to the Cubs, well 90% of all Cubs fans have never lived in Chicago and have no connection with the team other than seeing them on television growing up. Yes, I have scientific data to prove this. It goes like this: Me: So I see you're a Cubs fan. Them: Yep. Me: You grow up near Chicago. Them: Nope. Born and raised in Kentucky. Me: Why are you such a huge fan them. Them: I used to watch them on TV after school. There you go. All the damn research you can handle. In conclusion, they're the three biggest bandwagon franchises in Major League Baseball and I hope they all fail miserably."

LOL

Lip

Ha I want to meet that guy and buy him a beer! :gulp:

MarySwiss
10-03-2007, 07:22 PM

LOL

Lip

Ha I want to meet that guy and buy him a beer! :gulp:

Second that! This person gets it! :gulp:

rookie
10-03-2007, 07:29 PM

Awesome article. I know this has been said already, but they sound like the 2005 White Sox. The only player any outsider could name was Frank and he didn't even play, and then we went up againist Boston, where everyone knows their whole lineup. Then also not getting any credit for their record.

I agree with the pressure thing. Look at the Yankees (and maybe to a lesser extent the Braves) when it becomes an expectation it's harder to produce. Though I'm not sure how much pressure the Cubs have, I think their fans are just happy they are in. On the other hand, they don't seem nervous at all, I know I was nervous like crazy in 2005. I doubt that Arizona will be a pushover. And you know what they say about pride...

MarySwiss
10-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Awesome article. I know this has been said already, but they sound like the 2005 White Sox. The only player any outsider could name was Frank and he didn't even play, and then we went up againist Boston, where everyone knows their whole lineup. Then also not getting any credit for their record.

I agree with the pressure thing. Look at the Yankees (and maybe to a lesser extent the Braves) when it becomes an expectation it's harder to produce. Though I'm not sure how much pressure the Cubs have, I think their fans are just happy they are in. On the other hand, they don't seem nervous at all, I know I was nervous like crazy in 2005. I doubt that Arizona will be a pushover. And you know what they say about pride...

Well, rookie; we'll soon see. I agree; the guys are loose.

And if you liked that first article, here's another, from today's Republic:

linky (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/1002dbmain-ON.html)

BTW, Sox fans should love this. I read somewhere that Micah Owings--the Game #4 pitcher and a pretty damn good hitter--said that he's available for pinch-hitting duties!

Dick Allen
10-03-2007, 07:38 PM
That is why I cannot stand ABC 7. The fact that they remain No. 1 in the ratings convinces me that Chicago area television viewers are stupid.And the fact that WGN radio is #1 in radio ratings tells you how stupid Chicago area listeners definitely are.

rookie
10-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Well, rookie; we'll soon see. I agree; the guys are loose.

And if you liked that first article, here's another, from today's Republic:

linky (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/1002dbmain-ON.html)

BTW, Sox fans should love this. I read somewhere that Micah Owings--the Game #4 pitcher and a pretty damn good hitter--said that he's available for pinch-hitting duties!

I liked that one too. I hope that they are too young to know any better and then shock everyone (see Florida Marlins 2003 - who a certain team also had a problem with in the past and recently).

That's one thing I like about the playoffs - learning about lesser known teams. Arizona is starting to find a soft spot, despite just being the Cubs' opponent (and if they beat them, I'll like them even more!) Though I want Philly to win, these Rockies are starting to grow on me, and usually I don't care about the NL.

Winning close ballgames and chemistry is something I remember about another team. All the teams I was pulling for today loss. C'mon Arizona, hopefully we saved the best for last!

WizardsofOzzie
10-03-2007, 09:44 PM

LOL

Lip

:thumbsup:

MarySwiss
10-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Game's underway. Doesn't look or sound like "Wrigley Field West" so far. :smile:

WizardsofOzzie
10-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Game's underway. Doesn't look or sound like "Wrigley Field West" so far. :smile:
I'm stuck watching it since the g/f is a Cubs fan. I feel for her but I just can't bring myself to root for the Cubs with all the jackass fans they have

ChiSoxGirl
10-03-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm stuck watching it since the g/f is a Cubs fan. I feel for her but I just can't bring myself to root for the Cubs with all the jackass fans they have

I know what you mean about the jackass fans- they're everywhere. Just be glad you're not local right now! Stay strong, Chad!

pagansoxfan
10-03-2007, 11:08 PM
WLS TV is owned by ABC/Disney. ESPN aka the anti White Sox network is also owned by them. Enough said.

hsnterprize
10-04-2007, 05:25 AM
...but I posted some praise to the D-Backs fans for how they were in game 1 of this series. Despite whatever hype we heard about the "throngs of Cubs fans" who were going to take over Chase field, it looked to me and a lot of people like there was more sedona red and black than Cubbie blue on display. Here's what I said...

I watched a sea of sedona red and black in the seats of Chase Field yesterday, and that was a great site to see. Good job, Diamondbacks fans, for showing up and supporting your team. Remember...many Cubs fans will brag on how much they are at every stadium to cheer on their team. But you in Phoenix showed 'em this was YOUR house, and you really kept these blue-wearing knuckleheads in check.

Keep that momentum going for game 2. I, like you, are hoping for a game 2 win to really put the Cubs on their heels for the rest of the series. And you really ought to hear the local media here really rip into Lou Pinella for taking out Carlos Zambrano after only throwing 85 pitches because he "had confidence in his bullpen" and he wanted to rest Zambrano for a possible game 4. If the Cubs keep making boneheaded moves like this, there won't be a game 4.

Keep Chase Field RED for your squad. The press couldn't use the "Wrigley Field West" angle last night, and make sure they can't use it again tonight.
A D-Backs fan who was at the game replied...

It was between 6 to 1 to 7 to 1 ratio of D-Backs fans vs. Scrubs fans. They made some noise, but we quickly shouted them down. I was behind home plate and those fans were really cheering, clapping and even yelling... gotta love post-season... those are usually the sit-on-your-hands seats. LOL - I was gonna yell no matter who else yelled with me... and the guy next to me, a D-backs fan did the same... in fact, many of us were yelling loudly. Shoot, Jose Valverde's agent was even cheering and high-fiving me and my son and all of our 'bonded' group. We had a blast!!!

They know what's up, and they're standing up against that "Cubbie Blue Flood". Great for them. It's about time someone put those travelling Cub fans in their place.

AZChiSoxFan
10-04-2007, 10:48 AM
...but I posted some praise to the D-Backs fans for how they were in game 1 of this series. Despite whatever hype we heard about the "throngs of Cubs fans" who were going to take over Chase field, it looked to me and a lot of people like there was more sedona red and black than Cubbie blue on display. Here's what I said...

A D-Backs fan who was at the game replied...

They know what's up, and they're standing up against that "Cubbie Blue Flood". Great for them. It's about time someone put those travelling Cub fans in their place.

Last night on the local news here in Phx they interviewed an AZ state legislator who was heading into the game. He's originally from Chicago so the reporter asks "I guess you are for the Cubs then." He replied something to the effect of "I'm from the south side so I cheer for the real team from Chicago. Go D-backs!!"

:D:

thedudeabides
10-04-2007, 12:09 PM
AZ fans claim it was 6 to 1, but the Trib had a different view.

This has Cub fans claiming it was more than half. The front page of the Trib website has a fan with a sign reading "Wrigley Gone West".

http://www.chicagotribune.com/services/newspaper/printedition/thursday/chi-fans_04oct04,0,5861796.story

TomBradley72
10-04-2007, 01:58 PM
AZ fans claim it was 6 to 1, but the Trib had a different view.

This has Cub fans claiming it was more than half. The front page of the Trib website has a fan with a sign reading "Wrigley Gone West".

http://www.chicagotribune.com/services/newspaper/printedition/thursday/chi-fans_04oct04,0,5861796.story

I live in the far north suburbs so this morning's Trib doesn't have the outcome of last night's game....BUT....on the front page of the sports section there are TWO columns...not about the team, not about the players, not about the manager, not about the series, not about the opponent,....but of course....about "the Cubs have alot of fans". TWO columns...