PDA

View Full Version : I'm Ready, Why Isn't MLB?

Railsplitter
10-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Why wait til Wednesday to start the division series? I'm ready, and I can't see why they couldn't start today.
Twenty-one hours after Bobby Thompson's famous playoff home run, the Giants were playing Game One of the 1951 World Series.

MUsoxfan
10-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Ratings scheduling

DoItForDanPasqua
10-02-2007, 09:15 PM
I can't remember the last time that the playoffs didn't start on a Tuesday. This, and the World Series starting on a Wednesday this year pushes a potential WS game seven to November. A few days may not make a huge difference in weather, but there is something that isn't right about the World Series being played in November. The "winter classic" just doesn't sound the same.

ChiSoxRowand
10-02-2007, 10:54 PM
They pushed back the world series to tuesday, so they have to add more off days so teams don't have over a week between the LCS and WS. They also added off days between games 4 and 5 of the LDS and LCS.

Soxfanspcu11
10-03-2007, 12:35 AM
I can't remember the last time that the playoffs didn't start on a Tuesday. This, and the World Series starting on a Wednesday this year pushes a potential WS game seven to November. A few days may not make a huge difference in weather, but there is something that isn't right about the World Series being played in November. The "winter classic" just doesn't sound the same.

I agree that the World Series should not be played in November, but if it is just one game, Game 7, and it's like November 1st or 2nd, it's no big deal.

Plus, when did November become "winter"?:?:

I know that in the Chicago area, Winter can be 6 months long, but November really is not "winter", at least the first half of it

I never really liked how the solstices and stuff worked (summer not starting until June 21st-22nd) because at least for me, June is a summer month. And if you go by the "official" start times for summer, summer does not actually begin until the end of June, that is bogus!

That's why you gotta love the "Meterological Seasons".

Real simple;

WINTER=DECEMBER, JANUARY, FEBRUARY
SPRING=MARCH, APRIL, MAY
SUMMER=JUNE, JULY, AUGUST
FALL=SEPTEMBER, OCTOBER, NOVEMBER

That makes a ton more sense, at least I think.

Although, as I mentioned, in the Chicago area, Winter has been known to start in mid October and last until mid May!:angry:

Oblong
10-03-2007, 07:30 AM
I don't like all the off days because it almost turns the post season into a different game than during the regular season. Baseball teams should play every day, with an off day every week or so. That's how they do it all year long to get to the post season. Now for the "important" games you give them days off. I think it gives too much of an advantage to a team with 1 or 2 great starters. That's not enough during the regular season but it could be enough in a 5 or 7 game series.

skottyj242
10-03-2007, 09:03 AM
I think it's because MLB wanted to make sure there was more than one game over the weekend.

Mohoney
10-04-2007, 03:34 AM
I don't like all the off days because it almost turns the post season into a different game than during the regular season. Baseball teams should play every day, with an off day every week or so. That's how they do it all year long to get to the post season. Now for the "important" games you give them days off. I think it gives too much of an advantage to a team with 1 or 2 great starters. That's not enough during the regular season but it could be enough in a 5 or 7 game series.

It also helps teams with fantastic bullpens. Hypothetically, your best set-up guys can pitch in every game.

Foulke You
10-05-2007, 04:54 PM
That is an excellent point. I didn't even think about the extra days of rest for the starters or best bullpen guys. One of the things I always liked about the MLB postseason schedule was that it seemed like the last one of the professional sports that didn't drag on forever. Now, they've followed suit and drag the thing out as long as they possibly can to maximize revenue.

mrfourni
10-05-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm rooting for the Rockies just so I can see a game potentially snowed out in late october. Maybe they'll be forced to play a game in Miller park

Railsplitter
10-06-2007, 06:33 AM
I'm rooting for the Rockies just so I can see a game potentially snowed out in late october. Maybe they'll be forced to play a game in Miller park

Rember that Monday Night Football game in Denver with the huge snowstorm and Packers fumbled on thier first two plays of the game, both of which were recovered for touchdowns by the Broncos? That was mid October.

If the NL is sewn up today, I don't see why the Rockies and Diamondbacks can't start Tuesday.