PDA

View Full Version : Coco Crisp?

tm1119
10-02-2007, 04:35 PM
With the emergence of Ellsbury being the #1 guy in CF for Boston, Coco becomes very expendable. He struggled a bit with Boston but he is still better than what we have. You know that you will get great D and 25+ stolen bases from him every year. He would fill the void at CF and the leadoff spot for us. And with Mike Lowell being a free agent this year there is a chance that the Bosox will need to fill the hole left by him at 3B. And we so happen to have an extra 3B named Joe Crede that we could trade. If Crede can prove himself healthy before spring training this would seem like a perfect fit for both teams. This would allow us to have Crisp in CF, Dye in RF, and Owens, Anderson, or Sweeney in LF. And this would allow Fields to play his more natural position of 3B. Does this seem like a good idea to anyone else?

jenn2080
10-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Not sure, but I always think a bowl of Coco Crisp is a good idea.

FedEx227
10-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Let's just take Ellsbury :D::D::D:

oeo
10-02-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm still not sold on Coco being a great CF'er. If we're trading Crede, then put him in left and sign Hunter to play CF. That makes for a great defensive outfield, and still has a lot of power, too.

I can't wait to see what Kenny does...this will be an exciting offseason, I can feel it. :bandance:

palehozenychicty
10-02-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm still not sold on Coco being a great CF'er. If we're trading Crede, then put him in left and sign Hunter to play CF. That makes for a great defensive outfield, and still has a lot of power, too.

I can't wait to see what Kenny does...this will be an exciting offseason, I can feel it. :bandance:

Power is good and all, but give me more speed with contact. The one thing that impressed me with the Rox hitters yesterday, that they made contact using the entire field without any long, looping swings. If they get anything out of their starters, they could go all the way.

jabrch
10-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Coco has been unimpressive the past two years. I wouldn't expect him to exceed Jerry Owens performance by much. He's averaged .266/.322/.383 over the past two seasons. Owens hit .267/.324/.312 in his first season in MLB. He's got more speed, and more upside, and his numbers got progressively better as he spent more time out there. The only significant advantage Coco has over JO is defense - and that's not worth the HUGE cost difference, or whatever we'd have to give the Sawx to get him. (is he a FA?)

palehozenychicty
10-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Coco has been unimpressive the past two years. I wouldn't expect him to exceed Jerry Owens performance by much. He's averaged .266/.322/.383 over the past two seasons. Owens hit .267/.324/.312 in his first season in MLB. He's got more speed, and more upside, and his numbers got progressively better as he spent more time out there. The only significant advantage Coco has over JO is defense - and that's not worth the HUGE cost difference, or whatever we'd have to give the Sawx to get him. (is he a FA?)

I like that you are championing Owens as a player. People here haven't kept in mind that he's still very raw, and his numbers are respectable. He'll only get better by playing, as if that's hard to understand.

Keep fighting for Owens, J!

oeo
10-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Power is good and all, but give me more speed with contact. The one thing that impressed me with the Rox hitters yesterday, that they made contact using the entire field without any long, looping swings. If they get anything out of their starters, they could go all the way.

Well, Crisp gives you that speed and contact. And we should have those guys in an outfield position, SS, and 2B.
-Fields is not slow- he had a hammy problem this year.
-Hunter is not slow.
-Richar is definitely not slow.
-Dye still has average speed.

The only guys in the lineup that would be basecloggers are Paulie, Thome, and AJ.

I like that you are championing Owens as a player. People here haven't kept in mind that he's still very raw, and his numbers are respectable. He'll only get better by playing, as if that's hard to understand.

Keep fighting for Owens, J!

What's wrong with having other plans?

palehozenychicty
10-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Well, Crisp gives you that speed and contact. And we should have those guys in an outfield position, SS, and 2B.
-Fields is not slow- he had a hammy problem this year.
-Hunter is not slow.
-Richar is definitely not slow.
-Dye still has average speed.

The only guys in the lineup that would be basecloggers are Paulie, Thome, and AJ.

What's wrong with having other plans?

Nothing at all. I just think that in time, Owens may become what we're looking for, despite his weak arm. He'd be a perfect 4th OF right now, but if he starts, then so be it. I'd just rather see the organization develop some homegrown talent through drafting and scouting, as the game is heading in that direction.