PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs: Who would you want as your Closer?

nysox35
10-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Of the playoff teams, which closer would you want on your team for the playoff run?
I think the NL is pretty clear cut this year, but in the AL, you could make an argument for 3 of the 4.
NL - In my eyes clearly Valverde this year.
AL - Could argue for Rivera, Papelbon, or K-Rod

Who you taking?

twentywontowin
10-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Does it have to be a closer or can I take Carlos Marmol? He should be the closer anyways.

MUsoxfan
10-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Rivera.

nysox35
10-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Does it have to be a closer or can I take Carlos Marmol? He should be the closer anyways.

haha, well I guess we can make an exception. You'd take him over Valverde this year?

spiffie
10-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Mariano is still the man. Other guys are good, but if I need one scoreless ninth inning, I want the ball in his hands.

twentywontowin
10-02-2007, 02:18 PM
haha, well I guess we can make an exception. You'd take him over Valverde this year?

Absolutely. He has only given up earned runs in five games total this season.

skottyj242
10-02-2007, 02:21 PM
I would probably take K-Rod but you can't go against Mariano so I don't know. Maybe a hybrid of the two?

palehozenychicty
10-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Mariano is still the man. Other guys are good, but if I need one scoreless ninth inning, I want the ball in his hands.

There's your answer. The game is over when Enter Sandman comes on the speakers.

kittle42
10-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Jorge Julio.

Foulke You
10-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Absolutely. In a playoff game, I'm handing the ball to Rivera. He doesn't crack under pressure and has a fist full of rings to prove it. Mariano is one of the few guys I really like on that Yankees team.

Foulke You
10-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Of the playoff teams, which closer would you want on your team for the playoff run?
I think the NL is pretty clear cut this year, but in the AL, you could make an argument for 3 of the 4.
NL - In my eyes clearly Valverde this year.
AL - Could argue for Rivera, Papelbon, or K-Rod

Who you taking?
Ryan Dempster!

Boondock Saint
10-02-2007, 04:42 PM

There's just no disputing that he's the best at what he does.

WhiteSoxJunkie
10-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Rivera. He's been in the postseason every year for over a decade and only has 2 real slip ups.

Huisj
10-02-2007, 06:28 PM
The one thing I can get over with Valverde is that the the only two times all year that I saw the end of a D'backs game on TV, he blew the save, and the first one of those was really bad (5 runs against the Mets back in May). His stats are darn good, but for some reason I can't picture him pitching well since the only times I've seen him he couldn't throw strikes and got hit.

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-05-2007, 03:45 AM

You know, if it was me, I'd leave him as a setup man. I agree with some articles on ESPN that closers are overrated and managers make pitching changes based on saves. I would want to be able to use my best pitcher in a tight situation to put out a fire, and bring in somebody who is good but not necessarily the best to start the ninth. But that's me. As far as the closers listed above, I'd take Mariano in a heartbeat. What's his postseason ERA? It's gone up, but it's still some ridiculously low number.