PDA

View Full Version : Cubs-DBacks at 9:30 Wed and Thurs (Tribune)

Fenway
10-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Phil Rodgers has blogged that it appears the Cubs will be given the 9:30 PM slot on both Wednesday and Thursday and most likely 5 PM on Saturday

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2007/10/cubs-dbacks-hea.html

DumpJerry
10-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Schedule important can't-miss meetings with your Cub fan subordinates for 8:00 a.m. Thursday and Friday morning.:rolleyes:

The Immigrant
10-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Schedule important can't-miss meetings with your Cub fan subordinates for 8:00 a.m. Thursday and Friday morning.:rolleyes:

:roflmao:

Sounds like I'll be assigning some emergency matters to the Cub-loving fresh fish we have stumbling around the office.

Fenway
10-01-2007, 04:36 PM
They were suppose to release the playoff schedule at 3 PM Eastern but nothing official yet.

DumpJerry
10-01-2007, 04:46 PM
:roflmao:

Sounds like I'll be assigning some emergency matters to the Cub-loving fresh fish we have stumbling around the office.
Call your malpractice carrier first.

I thought Thursday and Friday mornings this week have been set aside for job reviews at your firm........

ChetChat
10-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Or in the case of my flubs loving office, walk in to work late and miss all the chatter about last night's game and get to business....
That'll be my m.o..

jenn2080
10-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Phil Rodgers has blogged that it appears the Cubs will be given the 9:30 PM slot on both Wednesday and Thursday and most likely 5 PM on Saturday

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2007/10/cubs-dbacks-hea.html

That is fantastic. The earlier on Sat the better. I would like to have peaceful night sleep.

DumpJerry
10-01-2007, 05:28 PM
That is fantastic. The earlier on Sat the better. I would like to have peaceful night sleep.
Don't worry Jenn, after Saturday night. you'll have plenty of quiet nights until early April.

Fenway
10-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Don't worry Jenn, after Saturday night. you'll have plenty of quiet nights until early April.

Game 4 at NOON Sunday. All games in Phoenix now listed at 9 PM Boston and NYY getting bulk of prime time slots

jenn2080
10-01-2007, 06:01 PM

:thumbsup: I am hoping so.

spiffie
10-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Boston and NYY getting bulk of prime time slots
Wow...that sure is some stunning news.

jenn2080
10-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Game 4 at NOON Sunday. All games in Phoenix now listed at 9 PM Boston and NYY getting bulk of prime time slots

Well there's a ****ing shocker.

:rolleyes: :puking:

What is the times for the Phillies?

jenn2080
10-01-2007, 06:06 PM
GameMatchupDayDateTime ETTVGm 1TBD @ PHIWedOct. 33 pm TBS Gm 2TBD @ PHIThuOct. 43 pm TBS Gm 3PHI @ TBDSatOct. 69:30 pm TBS Gm 4*PHI @ TBDSunOct. 710 pm TBS Gm 5*TBD @ PHITueOct. 96:30 pm TBS

I guess they really think that the only thing people want to see is the Red Sux and the Yankees.

jdm2662
10-01-2007, 06:13 PM
I guess they really think that the only thing people want to see is the Red Sux and the Yankees.

Don't you watch ESPN? Those are the only two teams people care about...

pierzynski07
10-01-2007, 06:14 PM
GameMatchupDayDateTime ETTVGm 1TBD @ PHIWedOct. 33 pm TBS Gm 2TBD @ PHIThuOct. 43 pm TBS Gm 3PHI @ TBDSatOct. 69:30 pm TBS Gm 4*PHI @ TBDSunOct. 710 pm TBS Gm 5*TBD @ PHITueOct. 96:30 pm TBS

Outside of transplant fans, why would anyone want to watch the other teams as opposed to NYY/BOS?

Noneck
10-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Outside of transplant fans, why would anyone want to watch the other teams as opposed to NYY/BOS?

And why would anyone outside of New England want to watch the blosox? Hmm, Let me see because they are a perennial powerhouse, nope! Maybe because they are a hyped team similar to the flubs?

pierzynski07
10-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Maybe because they are a hyped team similar to the flubs?
Hey now! Someone finally gets it! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

Most fans don't care which teams are playing. But by showing the teams with the best known players, there's the chance that ratings will increase a bit. Don't like it? TS!

MarySwiss
10-01-2007, 07:27 PM

Wow...that sure is some stunning news.

Well there's a ****ing shocker.

:rolleyes: :puking:

What is the times for the Phillies?

I LOVE IT!!! For a change, this works in our favor. It's a 7:30 start out here (instead of the usual 4 pm or so), and 9:30 for the Flubs fans.

Awww, bittums gonna miss some sleep?:D:

chisoxmike
10-01-2007, 07:31 PM
There are STILL tickets available for the games 1 & 2 at Chase Field. There may be just as many Cubs fans there than Diamondbacks fans. So much for home field advantage.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

thomas35forever
10-01-2007, 07:33 PM
There are STILL tickets available for the games 1 & 2 at Chase Field. There may be just as many Cubs fans there than Diamondbacks fans. So much for home field advantage.

Seriously? This might be Turner Field in '03 all over again.

chisoxmike
10-01-2007, 07:34 PM

You bet it will.

itsnotrequired
10-01-2007, 08:37 PM

I just looked on the site and it found 20 tickets in 15 seconds.

ilsox7
10-01-2007, 09:14 PM

Way to support your team, D-Back fans!

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2007, 10:22 PM

My dream would be to be at the Blackhawks game Saturday night, and they break in with their "Sports Update" informing the crowd of the Cubs' season ending.

And why would anyone outside of New England want to watch the blosox? Hmm, Let me see because they are a perennial powerhouse, nope! Maybe because they are a hyped team similar to the flubs?

Don't forget the Carleton Banks-type people who went to Haavaad or another college in Massachusettes and only became fans because they went to college there and were "scooped up" by Red Sox Nation Fever. :rolleyes:

Dan Mega
10-01-2007, 10:22 PM
I just looked on the site and it found 20 tickets in 15 seconds.

If this happened in 2005:

Sox Can't Even Sell Out Postseason Games!

HomeFish
10-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Yeah, home field advantage was SO helpful in Games 6 and 7 of the 2003 NLCS.

The Diamondbacks -- not the people in the stands at Chase Field -- will determine the outcome of that series.

Viva Medias B's
10-02-2007, 08:49 AM
My dream would be to be at the Blackhawks game Saturday night, and they break in with their "Sports Update" informing the crowd of the Cubs' season ending

I am sure Gene Honda would be very heartbroken having to make an announcement like that. Meanwhile, I wonder what the percentage of Diamondback fans in Maricopa County is compared to that Cub fans in Maricopa County.

kobo
10-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Game 4 at NOON Sunday.
If there is a game 4 it's gonna be crazy down by Wrigley since the Marathon is happening that day.

ilsox7
10-02-2007, 11:07 AM
If there is a game 4 it's gonna be crazy down by Wrigley since the Marathon is happening that day.

It will be even more scary if the Cubs win the series in 4.

itsnotrequired
10-02-2007, 12:00 PM

Was that supposed to be in teal? The Red Sox have finished above .500 for the last ten seasons in a row. Seven of the last ten teams have had 90 or more wins. Four of them had 95 or more wins. They went to the postseason six of those ten seasons.

Compare that to the Cubs who have finished above .500 for only five of their last ten seasons. Only one 90+ win season and Hangar18 will tell you it shouldn't count because they got that win in a tiebreaker game. Only three postseason appearances in those ten seasons as well.

FJA
10-02-2007, 02:02 PM
It's times like these I'm especially glad not to be in Chicago; on ChicagoSports.com right now, there are complaints about the starting times, Ernie Johnson and Cal Ripken Jr. (wait until they find out that Big Frank is joining the in-studio team!), and the fact that WGN can't carry the games per TBS's contract with MLB. Where did this sense of entitlement come from?

As far as the start times are concerned, maybe if the Cubs didn't have the worst record of any team in the playoffs, they'd be able to open at Wrigley at a time more convenient for CST timezoners. As it stands, Arizona earned the right to play in PST, and with three East Coast series, the 10:00 EST slot for the Diamondbacks-Cubs series was the no-brainer. If anyone has a legitimate beef, it's Philly and Colorado, who have to play BOTH of their games this week in the middle of the work day.

So please, Cubune, stop with the whining. I can't wait to see what happens if the Cubs have to play Colorado in the NLCS. Will the Cubune, et al. ask to have the games scheduled in Denver moved to a lower elevation so the Cubs don't get too tired? "Is it too much to ask for a fair game in Eastern Colorado? These are not, after all, the Denver Rockies."

Fenway
10-02-2007, 02:35 PM
As far as the start times are concerned, maybe if the Cubs didn't have the worst record of any team in the playoffs, they'd be able to open at Wrigley at a time more convenient for CST timezoners. As it stands, Arizona earned the right to play in PST, and with three East Coast series, the 10:00 EST slot for the Diamondbacks-Cubs series was the no-brainer. If anyone has a legitimate beef, it's Philly and Colorado, who have to play BOTH of their games this week in the middle of the work day.

What was TBS supposed to do?

You have 3 games tomorrow and obviously Philadelphia and Boston get the earlier slots

Thursday they have the same problem though in fairness the Cleveland-Yankees game should get the earlier slot to let Philly-Colorado seen by people after work.

Saturday since TBS wants both games at night Chicago has to get the earlier slot

Sunday they even have to move the Cubs to TNT. Putting the Cubs in prime time on Sunday not an option because of a little event called Bears-Packers on NBC.

Yankees fans are complaining about the times, Red Sox fans are complaining.

In other words they did the best they could.

nysox35
10-02-2007, 02:58 PM

Actually, I think AZ and Boston got the best times for their home games. I'm PO'ed about the 6pm start for game 4 on Monday for the Yankee game.
I'm glad Cub fans will have to stay up late though for their road games...

FJA
10-02-2007, 03:12 PM

You have 3 games tomorrow and obviously Philadelphia and Boston get the earlier slots

Thursday they have the same problem though in fairness the Cleveland-Yankees game should get the earlier slot to let Philly-Colorado seen by people after work.

Saturday since TBS wants both games at night Chicago has to get the earlier slot

Sunday they even have to move the Cubs to TNT. Putting the Cubs in prime time on Sunday not an option because of a little event called Bears-Packers on NBC.

From an objective point of view, the only two issues I have with the scheduling are for the weekday games - Philly/Colorado getting stuck twice with the 3:00 EST slot and and Yanks/Indians getting stuck twice with the 5:00 EST slot. On three out of those four dates, the Red Sox also play at home and yet get the better time slot. On the fourth date (Thursday, when Philly/Colorado play their second 3:00 EST game), the Red Sox are off.

You suggest the Yanks/Indians should get the 3:00 on Thursday, but why not give the Red Sox the 3:00 on Wednesday? That seems to be the most equitable solution. Of the four teams in the Eastern time zone, the Red Sox are by far the least inconvenienced by home game start times.

Do you know whether, in addition to being able to choose the date slotting of their series, whether the Red Sox (as top seed) were also able to choose the time slots?

itsnotrequired
10-02-2007, 03:14 PM
It's times like these I'm especially glad not to be in Chicago; on ChicagoSports.com right now, there are complaints about the starting times, Ernie Johnson and Cal Ripken Jr. (wait until they find out that Big Frank is joining the in-studio team!), and the fact that WGN can't carry the games per TBS's contract with MLB. Where did this sense of entitlement come from?

As far as the WGN angle is concerned, Sox fans would be making the exact same gripes if the roles were reversed. Games that would have been over-the-air and free in past seasons are now gone (for the TBS games, anyway). It has nothing to do with a feeling of "entitlement" because it relates to the Cubs.

Fenway
10-02-2007, 03:22 PM
You suggest the Yanks/Indians should get the 3:00 on Thursday, but why not give the Red Sox the 3:00 on Wednesday? That seems to be the most equitable solution. Of the four teams in the Eastern time zone, the Red Sox are by far the least inconvenienced by home game start times.

Do you know whether, in addition to being able to choose the date slotting of their series, whether the Red Sox (as top seed) were also able to choose the time slots?

Red Sox had no say in this nor did the City of Boston that isn't happy with the late start on Friday night. Fenway is near Kenmore Sq which is a zoo during the fall collegemating season on weekends.

The problem with having the Red Sox on at 3 PM Eastern is you are then sending the game to Los Angeles ( the #2 market ) at Noon

Philadelphia got screwed and I wonder how this schedule would have looked if it was the Mets.

FJA
10-02-2007, 03:29 PM
As far as the WGN angle is concerned, Sox fans would be making the exact same gripes if the roles were reversed. Games that would have been over-the-air and free in past seasons are now gone (for the TBS games, anyway). It has nothing to do with a feeling of "entitlement" because it relates to the Cubs.

I understand that, and think as a general matter it was a bad move by MLB to agree to those terms with TBS. I was responding less to the individual gripe and more to what seems to be, at least over the last few days, an expanding list of gripes driving a storyline - "underdog Cubs slighted by MLB and TBS."

skottyj242
10-02-2007, 03:51 PM

So game four will be at Noon on Sunday? So people will be heading up there at like nine in the morning, trying to drive and park. What about this little think we have going on called the Chicago Marathon that goes about a block from Wrigley. This is going to be a catastrophe. I'm hoping it's over by Saturday though.

Fenway
10-02-2007, 04:04 PM
So game four will be at Noon on Sunday? So people will be heading up there at like nine in the morning, trying to drive and park. What about this little think we have going on called the Chicago Marathon that goes about a block from Wrigley. This is going to be a catastrophe. I'm hoping it's over by Saturday though.

But as I pointed out earlier what other option did TBS have with 3 games on Sunday?

There is no way they wanted to get into a ratings battle with Bears-Packers at 7:15 ( baseball would lose badly in Chicago )

Having the Cubs later in the afternoon doesn't work because the other 2 games are in Anaheim and Denver.

It could be over in 3 yes....but I doubt it. The Cubs are going to have 5 home games

They STILL haven't sold out Game 2 in Arizona and by now every Cubs fan in Arizona has already ordered.

skottyj242
10-02-2007, 04:12 PM
But as I pointed out earlier what other option did TBS have with 3 games on Sunday?

There is no way they wanted to get into a ratings battle with Bears-Packers at 7:15 ( baseball would lose badly in Chicago )

Having the Cubs later in the afternoon doesn't work because the other 2 games are in Anaheim and Denver.

It could be over in 3 yes....but I doubt it. The Cubs are going to have 5 home games

They STILL haven't sold out Game 2 in Arizona and by now every Cubs fan in Arizona has already ordered.

I would think that's only becuase the Bears will be on free tv. People would need something to turn on after the Bears start to get blown out.

Fenway
10-02-2007, 04:20 PM
I would think that's only becuase the Bears will be on free tv. People would need something to turn on after the Bears start to get blown out.

The Bears are by far the most watched sports team in Chicago. Even a combined White Sox-Cubs audience doesn't come close. Throw in that it is the Packers are a do or die game for the Bears it would be a ratings disaster for baseball.

Baseball learned that the hard way in 1986 when Game 7 of the Mets-Red Sox series was played on a Monday night because of a rainout and it finished behind a Giants MNF game on ABC.

jenn2080
10-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Please let it go the 3 games. Between the marathon and the Cubs game the hood will be out of control!

kittle42
10-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Please let it go the 3 games. Between the marathon and the Cubs game the hood will be out of control!

I'll be in East Lansing for the weekend all will get to miss the whole thing! I'm so happy!

ChiSoxRowand
10-02-2007, 06:06 PM

I would much rather have wierd start times as long as all the games are on. Who can forget 1995 when they had all the games on at the same time?

chisoxfanatic
10-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Agreed, with the D-Backs winning all three.

I won't be watching any baseball tomorrow anyways...There's something more important on television: Ottawa Senators vs. Toronto Maple Leafs...HOCKEY SEASON IS BACK!!!!! :bandance:

Noneck
10-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Was that supposed to be in teal? The Red Sox have finished above .500 for the last ten seasons in a row. Seven of the last ten teams have had 90 or more wins. Four of them had 95 or more wins. They went to the postseason six of those ten seasons.

Compare that to the Cubs who have finished above .500 for only five of their last ten seasons. Only one 90+ win season and Hangar18 will tell you it shouldn't count because they got that win in a tiebreaker game. Only three postseason appearances in those ten seasons as well.

My hatred toward these teams supersedes their records. I was looking at number of championships, which in my mind is most important. That being said I consider the Marlins a more successful team than Boston. Once again my hatred supersedes a rational thought process in this case.

itsnotrequired
10-02-2007, 10:43 PM
My hatred toward these teams supersedes their records. I was looking at number of championships, which in my mind is most important. That being said I consider the Marlins a more successful team than Boston. Once again my hatred supersedes a rational thought process in this case.

The Red Sox have six world championships and 11 pennants, third best among the original 8 AL teams.

Noneck
10-03-2007, 12:42 AM
The Red Sox have six world championships and 11 pennants, third best among the original 8 AL teams.

Actually the Red Sox had 5 championships, 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918 and 2004.
In 1903 they were the Boston Americans.

So 6 championships in 106 years is a winning percentage of .056.

Now the Marlins. 2 championships in 15 years is a winning percentage of .133.

Finally, you know where I am coming from and I know where you are coming from, But please don't compare boston to the powerhouse teams of our lifetime or even our parents lifetime.

itsnotrequired
10-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Actually the Red Sox had 5 championships, 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918 and 2004.
In 1903 they were the Boston Americans.

So 6 championships in 106 years is a winning percentage of .056.

Now the Marlins. 2 championships in 15 years is a winning percentage of .133.

Finally, you know where I am coming from and I know where you are coming from, But please don't compare boston to the powerhouse teams of our lifetime or even our parents lifetime.

Oh please. You have to look at the whole franchise and not just the years that they have played as the Red Sox. Do the Athletics only get credit for four world championships because they won their other five as the Philadelphia Athletics?

And who cares about the championship winning percentage across the lifetime of a franchise? Unless the team is the Yankees, every other team is going to look like jokers.

As for the "mighty" Florida Marlins, they have had 11 losing season in their 15 year existence. You have to go back 45 years to total up 11 losing seasons for the Red Sox.

The fact is Boston has been a powerhouse for the last ten years. Try as hard as you may to hate them off the face of the earth, that fact remains. The only other "powerhouse" team in my lifetime would be the Yankees and the Braves. Anyone considering the Marlins to be a "powerhouse" team is deluding themselves.

Fenway
10-03-2007, 09:27 AM
As for the "mighty" Florida Marlins, they have had 11 losing season in their 15 year existence. You have to go back 45 years to total up 11 losing seasons for the Red Sox.

The fact is Boston has been a powerhouse for the last ten years. Try as hard as you may to hate them off the face of the earth, that fact remains. The only other "powerhouse" team in my lifetime would be the Yankees and the Braves. Anyone considering the Marlins to be a "powerhouse" team is deluding themselves.

Since 1966 they have had FIVE losing seasons 1987, 1992 (only 73 wins), 1993, 1994 and 1997.

Reality is for a casual fan Fenway is a great TV studio. Outside of the Butch Hobson years the team has been always interesting to watch since 1967.

davenicholson
10-03-2007, 09:28 AM

10:30 PM here in DC! Excellent! I don't have to worry about having some kind of seizure and being tempted to watch. Early starts in the mornings means that I'll be sound asleep by the first pitch.

davenicholson
10-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Agreed, with the D-Backs winning all three.

I won't be watching any baseball tomorrow anyways...There's something more important on television: Ottawa Senators vs. Toronto Maple Leafs...HOCKEY SEASON IS BACK!!!!! :bandance:
With baseball season having ended in June, and football season over in September, the NHL is all I have to look forward to as well. And as a Blackhawk fan, that is not a comforting thought.

Noneck
10-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Oh please. You have to look at the whole franchise and not just the years that they have played as the Red Sox. Do the Athletics only get credit for four world championships because they won their other five as the Philadelphia Athletics?

And who cares about the championship winning percentage across the lifetime of a franchise? Unless the team is the Yankees, every other team is going to look like jokers.

You bring up 5 of the 6 championships from the early 1900's but also want to talk about the last 10 years. (btw. I did acknowledge the Boston Americans championship in the previous post). I'll still take 2 championships in the last 10 years rather than 1 and alot of "heartbreak cursed" seasons.

I must go back a little bit further than you but my powerhouse teams beside the yanks are A's, Reds, Cardinals, Orioles, Twins, Tigers and Dodgers.

Finally, to me its all about championships, regular season records, playoff appearances and pennants are nice but the ones that "should" be remembered and revered are the ones with the championships.

itsnotrequired
10-03-2007, 10:22 AM
You bring up 5 of the 6 championships from the early 1900's but also want to talk about the last 10 years. (btw. I did acknowledge the Boston Americans championship in the previous post). I'll still take 2 championships in the last 10 years rather than 1 and alot of "heartbreak cursed" seasons.

Tell that to Marlins fans.

I must go back a little bit further than you but my powerhouse teams beside the yanks are A's, Reds, Cardinals, Orioles, Twins, Tigers and Dodgers.

If you define a powerhouse team simply as one that one a few world championships in a short timespan, then there have only been about 7 or 8 of those in the history of baseball. The Yankees have had 94+ win seasons for the last seven seasons in a row and three of those seasons had 100 wins or more yet they haven't won a world championship. By your definition, that team is not a powerhouse. I don't think many people would seriously consider those teams not to be powerhouses.

Noneck
10-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Tell that to Marlins fans.

If you define a powerhouse team simply as one that one a few world championships in a short timespan, then there have only been about 7 or 8 of those in the history of baseball. The Yankees have had 94+ win seasons for the last seven seasons in a row and three of those seasons had 100 wins or more yet they haven't won a world championship. By your definition, that team is not a powerhouse. I don't think many people would seriously consider those teams not to be powerhouses.

Championships matter, if you have a great record and don't bring home the championship, the team should not revered. The yank club you are talking about is not, ask Yankee fans. I am not in any way saying that the Yankee franchise is not revered or a powerhouse but the one you are speaking of is
not.

All the teams mentioned as my powerhouse teams did meet the criteria of winning championships in a short timespan. My point once again is that unless you win multiple championships in a short time (10-15year period) you can not be considered a powerhouse team. Boston has not met this criteria unless you are talking about the Boston team of the early 1900's.

itsnotrequired
10-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Championships matter, if you have a great record and don't bring home the championship, the team should not revered. The yank club you are talking about is not, ask Yankee fans. I am not in any way saying that the Yankee franchise is not revered or a powerhouse but the one you are speaking of is
not.

All the teams mentioned as my powerhouse teams did meet the criteria of winning championships in a short timespan. My point once again is that unless you win multiple championships in a short time (10-15year period) you can not be considered a powerhouse team. Boston has not met this criteria unless you are talking about the Boston team of the early 1900's.

Then I guess we have a different definition of what a powerhouse is.