PDA

View Full Version : Rally Monday in 7 cities

Fenway
10-01-2007, 10:58 AM
MLB has Rally Monday in 7 cities and a game in Denver.

The Yankees don't bother doing one.

Boston
Standells, Freddie "Boom Boom" Cannon and Dropkick Murphys

Chicago
Governor Rod Blagojevich, Chicago mayor Richard Daley and former Cubs playoff team representatives

Cleveland
A chance to drum with John Adams

Anaheim
USC Marching Band. The Golden Knights U.S. Army Parachute Team

Phoenix
D-backs' in-game hosts Vanessa and Mike, the Rally-backs entertainment crew and team mascot Baxter making guest appearances. Popular local band EastonAshe will perform live at the event.

Philadelphia
Entertainment will be provided by the Phillie Phanatic and Mr. Greengenes, a local band. The Phillies Ballgirls will also join the party

In San Diego they will open Petco Field for the game in Arizona

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070929&content_id=2238650&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

WSox597
10-01-2007, 05:09 PM
I hear the Governor is hoping Sammy hits a homer in the playoffs for the Cubbies.

spawn
10-01-2007, 05:12 PM
I don't understand holding a rally. Your team hasn't won anything yet! Yes, it's nice to get into the playoffs and all, but why celebrate just getting there? I don't know...I just think the whole thing is ridiculous.

jenn2080
10-01-2007, 05:16 PM
I don't understand holding a rally. Your team hasn't won anything yet! Yes, it's nice to get into the playoffs and all, but why celebrate just getting there? I don't know...I just think the whole thing is ridiculous.

The Sox did it too

spawn
10-01-2007, 05:29 PM
The Sox did it too
I know. I didn't like it then either. That's why I didn't go. IMO, you don't celebrate getting into the post-season. You celebrate winning the whole damn thing.

chisoxmike
10-01-2007, 05:32 PM
The cities don't decide to do them, it's a MLB thing.

spawn
10-01-2007, 05:36 PM
I know that too. It's still ridiculous. But that's just my opinion.

pierzynski07
10-01-2007, 06:12 PM

From the linked article:
Individual club participation is not mandated by Major League Baseball.

SoxFan78
10-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Its just a pep rally helping the fans get excited for the playoffs. I see nothing wrong with it.

jortafan
10-01-2007, 08:25 PM

I seem to recall that 2005 was the first time they did such rallies. It is a Bud Selig idea. He thinks it's nice for the cities to do something to show their support.

Personally, I think it's a bit lame, and I actually gain a little respect for New York and the Yankees for NOT doing anything at this stage. Winning a division title is cute, but it's NOT the same as winning the league pennant or World Series title. Heck, even the Cubs win division titles every few years. It doesn't alleviate the pennant drought that fans of that incredibly talented and respectable ballclub feel.

Viva Medias B's
10-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Did the local TV stations in Chicago cover the rally live? IIRC, when the White Sox held their pre-playoff rally at Block 37 two years ago, there was no live coverage except maybe Comcast SportsNet.

ilsox7
10-01-2007, 09:32 PM
The players sure seem to celebrate winning the division. Why not the fans?

pierzynski07
10-01-2007, 11:24 PM
I seem to recall that 2005 was the first time they did such rallies. It is a Bud Selig idea. He thinks it's nice for the cities to do something to show their support.

Personally, I think it's a bit lame, and I actually gain a little respect for New York and the Yankees for NOT doing anything at this stage. Winning a division title is cute, but it's NOT the same as winning the league pennant or World Series title. Heck, even the Cubs win division titles every few years. It doesn't alleviate the pennant drought that fans of that incredibly talented and respectable ballclub feel.
"I don't remember a Sox rally in 2005, but I'm sure it was lame, because we were so going to win."

chisoxfanatic
10-01-2007, 11:32 PM

:tealpolice:

And, it gets a little "ho hum" when you're in the playoffs every single year. Hell, even going to the World Series is no big deal to Yankee fans. The other teams don't have this same luxury.

Frontman
10-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Its just a pep rally helping the fans get excited for the playoffs. I see nothing wrong with it.

"Gosh, like you know, after like, the prep rally thing, I was like, thinking, like we should like go to the mall and like walk around and stuff."

http://blogs.centredaily.com/chaotic_mind/images/tinsdale_1.jpeg

Prep rallies just scream "High School Musical."

Which I'm over 35. I didn't like prep rallies when I was IN high school. Now, if they win, celebrate. They deserve it. But a whole "prep rally" for professional athletes is silly. This is why they play the game that they do, they need no motivation rally to do good.

Fenway
10-02-2007, 09:52 AM
DKM fired up the Boston fans

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/10/01/1191284471_5855.jpg
We didn't know the owner could sing ( turns out he fronted a rock group growing up in Illinois)....he wasn't bad
Red Sox owner John Henry played the song "Dirty Water" with members of the Standells.
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/10/01/1191277007_4140.jpg

but we didn't need to hear Freddie "Boom Boom" Cannon singing Sweet Caroline
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/10/01/1191284024_5953.jpg

santo=dorf
10-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Did the local TV stations in Chicago cover the rally live? IIRC, when the White Sox held their pre-playoff rally at Block 37 two years ago, there was no live coverage except maybe Comcast SportsNet.
All I remember is the Sox having a few thousand show up to which the Tribune reported there were "hundreds" of Sox fans that were in attendance. Sad attempt to try and make the crowd seem small.

spawn
10-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I know Comcast showed it, and I believe WGN and CBS did as well. It was on the televisions at the gym. The funny thing is, I was talking to some Cub fans I work with, and they said they felt embarrased by the rally. One of the guys exact words were "Why are we lowering our expectations?"