PDA

View Full Version : Wrigley's Bleacher Crowd, A Cub fan point of view...

DrCrawdad
04-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Below you might find interesting a REAL Cub fans observations about the Wrigley Field bleachers crowd.

The subject is "Yesterday in the Bleachers with Al"

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=alt.sports.baseball.chicago-cubs

"The punks get into the game early by deriding the opposition with their drunken observations. And by drunken, I mean smashed, stewed to the gills if you will, and it does not get better as the game progresses...

"By the mid-point of the game the drunks are in inebriate heaven with answers to all questions, many of which have not been asked. Everyone is their best friend, they understand the event horizon concept, in their mind's eye have added thirty pounds of muscle mass and finally, they need another beer.

"At the end of the game a stillness becomes them. Accelerated hangovers,
fuelled by the heat and not compensated for by more beer seems to calm them down, at least until they can get to Murphy's for more knowledge and
inspiration.

"It seems to me that if you are going to invest twelve bucks to watch a game,
it might be fun to actually remember parts of it. But then I'm a purist I guess.

"One final note that will instigate some conversation is this. Sitting out
there yesterday, I was struck by the fact that Wrigley really is a sad Yard.
It's dated and worn. I don't advocate a complete tear down but it certainly
could use some improvement although I'm not entirely sure what to do.
Somewhere there has to be an engineer that could come up with a plan to renovate the Yard without too much inconvenience to the patrons. That or in the future, Wrigley will be history."

The author of the post is a true baseball fan, and the team he happens to follow is the Cubs. I've had conversation with the author and he is a decent guy.

I post this here because it's interesting to see that what a REAL Cub fan has to say about the bleacher crowd. When a Sox fan says this same type of thing it's dimissed.

I've got tickets for a game at Wrigley Pirates vs. Cubs in the bleachers. Now after reading this post I'm re-thinking whether or not I'll go. I don't go to games to get feces-faced. I go to enjoy the game. Seems like I wasted my money buying bleacher seats.

Although maybe I'll get lucky and sit by a few true Cub fans like the author of the NG post.

- DrCrawdad.

hold2dibber
04-11-2002, 06:08 PM
I grew up just a few blocks from Wrigley and, as a result, I have several Cub fan friends. The 2,000 or 3,000 Cubs fan that Lee Elia ripped in the '80's are true baseball fans and, although they are misguided in their allegiance, they know and love the game, they showed up when no one else cared, and I respect that and have had great baseball conversations with some of them. The problem with Cub-dom in general, however, is the massive legions of "fans" who flock to Cubs games and praise Sammy, but really don't care if the Cubs lose (anyone can be happy when the team they like wins, but only real fans feel the sting of a loss) and they are only Cubs fans because they think it is cool to be one. These people know nothing about baseball and couldn't care less if the Cubs lose 100 or win 100, as long as they can go to Wrigley, get loaded, look at the girls in tank tops and see Sammy hit a long one. No one has ever said it better than Mark Grace's agent, who said "That's not a ballclub, that's a tourist attraction." That really sums it up.

NUCatsFan
04-11-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Below you might find interesting a REAL Cub fans observations about the Wrigley Field bleachers crowd.

<snip happens>

I read that post in its entirety, as well as the rest of that thread. Those people give a good name to baseball fans, and Cub fans. If only more of them were like that, they may almost be bearable.

rmusacch
04-11-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

I've got tickets for a game at Wrigley Pirates vs. Cubs in the bleachers. Now after reading this post I'm re-thinking whether or not I'll go. I don't go to games to get feces-faced. I go to enjoy the game. Seems like I wasted my money buying bleacher seats.

Although maybe I'll get lucky and sit by a few true Cub fans like the author of the NG post.

- DrCrawdad.

I have a question. I have only been to Wrigley three times in my life and never sat in the bleachers but didn't you know before buying the tickets in the bleachers that it is a big beer garden and most of the people in the bleachers are there to get bombed and look at chicks in halter tops. My brother, who lives a block and a half from Wrigley, put it perfect. You go to Wrigley to either get drunk or watch baseball, you cannot do both.

DrCrawdad
04-11-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

I have a question. I have only been to Wrigley three times in my life and never sat in the bleachers but didn't you know before buying the tickets in the bleachers that it is a big beer garden and most of the people in the bleachers are there to get bombed and look at chicks in halter tops. My brother, who lives a block and a half from Wrigley, put it perfect. You go to Wrigley to either get drunk or watch baseball, you cannot do both.

I've never sat in Wrigley's bleachers. In fact, I had never been to Wrigley until I was 21 years old, when I was given 4 tickets. My dad refused to go.

Anyway, I've been hearing for years from Cub fan friends about the great bleacher experience. When I purchased tickets for the Sox home game at Wrigley :)- I made a rash decision to buy bleacher tickets for a Pirates vs. Cub game. I figured that I'd enjoy seeing Kip, Lowe, Fogg or Guerrier pitch against the Cubs and that I'd give the bleachers a try.

I'll no doubt end up going to the game. I'll just wear clothes that I don't mind having someone puke on.

- DrCrawdad.