PDA

View Full Version : Brenley pulled from Cubs playoff games

Fenway
10-01-2007, 08:34 AM
I think it is a mistake as Brenley was the Arizona manager and of course now the Cubs analyst so fans in both cities would have accepted him.

The New York Mets' late-season collapse changed the on-air lineup for TBS, whose first-ever MLB playoff coverage includes all four first-round matchups. It made Mets local analyst Ron Darling available.

He'll work the Chicago Cubs-Arizona series, with Dick Stockton, and frees analyst Bob Brenly, who had been scheduled to work with Stockton, to form a three-man booth with Chip Caray and Tony Gwynn. That team will call the New York Yankees-Cleveland series and then the National League Championship Series coverage. (Fox will broadcast the ALCS and World Series.)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2007-10-01-hiestand-weekend_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2007-10-01-hiestand-weekend_N.htm)

Stone will work the Boston series

DumpJerry
10-01-2007, 08:46 AM
We don't care. We won't be listening to the games.

peeonwrigley
10-01-2007, 08:51 AM

I'll be in my bunker until November.

Actually, I'm in the Philly area for work this week and was last week as well. Been fun watching their local news and talking to their fans as they pushed past the Mets.

skottyj242
10-01-2007, 09:10 AM

Speak for yourself. I will still be watching playoff baseball. Just because you have to go into a hole because the Cubs are on doesn't mean that there won't be other games worth watching.

DumpJerry
10-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Speak for yourself. I will still be watching playoff baseball. Just because you have to go into a hole because the Cubs are on doesn't mean that there won't be other games worth watching.

I watch professional baseball games. Therefore, ALDC, ALCS: here I come!

The Critic
10-01-2007, 10:59 AM
I guess maybe they think they need to separate Brenly from the Cubs/Dbacks series because he may have a rooting interest, but I think he's professional enough to do his job without going all "Santo" (or "Berman") about it. He could provide some first-hand insight on the Cubs (and maybe AZ, too, though their WS win was already 6 years ago), and I think that would add to the broadcast.

I'll be watching all the playoff series as well. I'm not hiding from the NL just because the Cubs are there.

pierzynski07
10-01-2007, 11:02 AM
I guess maybe they think they need to separate Brenly from the Cubs/Dbacks series because he may have a rooting interest, but I think he's professional enough to do his job without going all "Santo" (or "Berman") about it. He could provide some first-hand insight on the Cubs (and maybe AZ, too, though their WS win was already 6 years ago), and I think that would add to the broadcast.

I'll be watching all the playoff series as well. I'm not hiding from the NL just because the Cubs are there.
Brenley was in AZ as recently as 2004, so I'm sure he's quite familiar with much of the young talent from the current roster. If anything, his knowledge of both teams would make for an enjoyable series.

Fenway
10-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Boston getting Steve Stone and Ted Robinson which will be 1000% better than Chris Berman.

The Boston announcer (Don Orsillo) is doing the playoff tonight and then the Phillies series

The Critic
10-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Boston getting Steve Stone and Ted Robinson which will be 1000% better than Chris Berman.

The Boston announcer (Don Orsillo) is doing the playoff tonight and then the Phillies series

To be fair, though, shutting off the mics altogether would be at least 400% better than having Berman speak.
:D:

SoxandtheCityTee
10-01-2007, 12:15 PM
ESPN Radio 1000 here is promoting that they will have "every pitch of every Cubs playoff game." Since when do they get to compete with the WGN flagship? Is that just in Chicago, outside of Chicago, or what? Who does the broadcasts? I don't recall this ever happening before.

Fenway
10-01-2007, 12:18 PM
ESPN Radio 1000 here is promoting that they will have "every pitch of every Cubs playoff game." Since when do they get to compete with the WGN flagship? Is that just in Chicago, outside of Chicago, or what? Who does the broadcasts? I don't recall this ever happening before.

They doing the same thing in Boston as ESPN-890 will carry the Red Sox games....thousands will switch when Glenn Geffner comes on WRKO :tongue:

890 ESPN is your home for every MLB Playoff game, including the Red Sox!

http://www.espnboston.com/

Lip Man 1
10-01-2007, 12:25 PM
I don't watch post season baseball if the Sox aren't in them. I simply don't care.

Lip

UserNameBlank
10-01-2007, 12:55 PM
I'll be in my bunker until November.

If you were considering locking yourself in a bunker I'd suggest that along with an ample supply of tin-foil hats and oats you bring a library full of Nostradamus quatrains to leaf through as well. I'm sure if you spent enough time you'd find a prophecy stating that the Cubs will lose in the first round. Or maybe not. It all depends on how crazy you are.

WhiteSoxRich
10-01-2007, 01:02 PM

If you don't watch or listen, you won't get to watch the misery unfold when the scrubs collapse!
:supernana:

southside rocks
10-01-2007, 01:10 PM

Isn't Brenly on the Cubs' payroll? That would be a good reason to have him do another of the playoff games, more than any "rooting interest" he might have. Just a guess.

soltrain21
10-01-2007, 01:12 PM
I don't watch post season baseball if the Sox aren't in them. I simply don't care.

Lip

Really? I would have never guess that about you, Lip.

Lip Man 1
10-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Personally I don't see what the big deal about Brenly is in the first place.

Unless you are going to go to the old NBC World Series format and have a national broadcaster plus a home team announcer when the game is in their stadium (i.e. the old NBC format which had Curt Gowdy with a home team announcer, Monty Moore say when the game was in Oakland, Marty Brennermann when the game was in Cincinnati ect..) I don't think ANY home team guys should be doing their teams games.

I mean this is supposed to be a NATIONAL unbiased broadcast right?

By that appraoch Brenly who works for the Cubs CAN NOT do ANY Cub games. Orsello can't do any Red Sox games and so forth.

-----

Sol:

I get the Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox crammed down my throat night after night, day after day by people like Fox and ESPN. Why do I want to put myself through that for another month?

The Sox aren't playing. My attitude is the season is done, finished, toast.

Lip

SOXPHILE
10-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Bob Brenly is the keeper of The Book Of Unwritten Baseball Rules.

pierzynski07
10-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Personally I don't see what the big deal about Brenly is in the first place.

Unless you are going to go to the old NBC World Series format and have a national broadcaster plus a home team announcer when the game is in their stadium (i.e. the old NBC format which had Curt Gowdy with a home team announcer, Monty Moore say when the game was in Oakland, Marty Brennermann when the game was in Cincinnati ect..) I don't think ANY home team guys should be doing their teams games.

I mean this is supposed to be a NATIONAL unbiased broadcast right?

By that appraoch Brenly who works for the Cubs CAN NOT do ANY Cub games. Orsello can't do any Red Sox games and so forth.

-----

Sol:

I get the Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox crammed down my throat night after night, day after day by people like Fox and ESPN. Why do I want to put myself through that for another month?

Lip

So more or less, you're saying Brenley would be one giant cheerleader.

harwar
10-02-2007, 06:46 AM

Yes,and what a pleasant surprise it was as i'm a fan.I think Orsillo and Stone would be a tremendous combo.

Viva Medias B's
10-02-2007, 07:02 AM
To those of you who want to "hide" from the playoffs because the Cubs are in them, what kind of people are you? We Sox fans don't hide from anything! In fact, I want each and every one of you to wear your White Sox paraphernalia out in public every day this week.

hsnterprize
10-02-2007, 07:24 AM
ESPN Radio 1000 here is promoting that they will have "every pitch of every Cubs playoff game." Since when do they get to compete with the WGN flagship? Is that just in Chicago, outside of Chicago, or what? Who does the broadcasts? I don't recall this ever happening before.In '03, both ESPN Radio and WGN Radio broadcasted the games. ESPN broadcasted from the national perspective, and WGN...the local perspective. I'm thinking that's just a Chicago thing. In '05, ESPN Radio 1000 was broadcasting the local White Sox games. So when they got into the playoffs, the local announce team of John Rooney (boy I miss him) and Ed Farmer trumped any national coverage.

hsnterprize
10-02-2007, 07:30 AM
To those of you who want to "hide" from the playoffs because the Cubs are in them, what kind of people are you? We Sox fans don't hide from anything! In fact, I want each and every one of you to wear your White Sox paraphernalia out in public every day this week.I'm already doing that. I don't have much paraphernalia, but I have a special coin I take along with me just about everywhere I go. I've seen people in Sox jackets, jersey, caps, and even an S.U.V. with a Sox spare tire cover. I complimented the driver for that cover, and she was just as hopeful of a "one and done" performance by the Cubs as I am.

Remember Sox fans...wear the silver and black as an act of defiance. And do it PROUDLY!!!!! WE WILL NOT JOIN THE BANDWAGON!!!!! And get the life boats ready when another "Cubbie Blue Titanic" hits the iceberg and goes into the drink. Oh that reminds me...does someone have Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" cued up? That'll be the 2007 Cubs' playoff song until other noted.

hsnterprize
10-02-2007, 07:33 AM
I think it is a mistake as Brenley was the Arizona manager and of course now the Cubs analyst so fans in both cities would have accepted him.

The New York Mets' late-season collapse changed the on-air lineup for TBS, whose first-ever MLB playoff coverage includes all four first-round matchups. It made Mets local analyst Ron Darling available.

He'll work the Chicago Cubs-Arizona series, with Dick Stockton, and frees analyst Bob Brenly, who had been scheduled to work with Stockton, to form a three-man booth with Chip Caray and Tony Gwynn. That team will call the New York Yankees-Cleveland series and then the National League Championship Series coverage. (Fox will broadcast the ALCS and World Series.)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2007-10-01-hiestand-weekend_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2007-10-01-hiestand-weekend_N.htm)

Stone will work the Boston seriesThis doesn't surpize me too much...I've seen other networks do the same thing in their playoff coverage. Announcers and analysts we know here get sent elsewhere to get rif of the "homerism". Hawk Harrelson got in trouble for that when he covered Sox games nationally years ago.

It's one thing for announcers to be homers on a local broadcast. Nationally, that just doesn't fly.

The Dude
10-02-2007, 07:38 AM

Who is we? I will be listening.

Viva Medias B's
10-02-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm already doing that. I don't have much paraphernalia, but I have a special coin I take along with me just about everywhere I go. I've seen people in Sox jackets, jersey, caps, and even an S.U.V. with a Sox spare tire cover. I complimented the driver for that cover, and she was just as hopeful of a "one and done" performance by the Cubs as I am.

Remember Sox fans...wear the silver and black as an act of defiance. And do it PROUDLY!!!!! WE WILL NOT JOIN THE BANDWAGON!!!!! And get the life boats ready when another "Cubbie Blue Titanic" hits the iceberg and goes into the drink. Oh that reminds me...does someone have Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" cued up? That'll be the 2007 Cubs' playoff song until other noted.

At the risk of being flubsessed, which I probably am whenever the Cubs are in the playoffs, I have gone a step futher. I found a lapel pin in my room with the Diamondbacks' "A" logo on it. It was a giveaway from a Sox-D'Backs spring training game I went to at TEP Park in Mach. The pin is proudly on the lapel of the sportcoat I'm wearing to work today! And, of course, I bought myself an Arizona cap at Grandstand the other day. Pete and Rosemary at Grandstand have reportedly been selling a lot of them lately.

ChiSoxGirl
10-02-2007, 08:25 AM

I wear Sox gear out in public and do it proudly. However, today is Cubs Day at my school :rolleyes:, and the students & teachers were encouraged to accessorize their uniforms with Cub gear. Today, I'm wearing black & yellow and three people have already asked me, "Where's your Cub gear/colors?" I told them that it's at the store with all the other Cub gear, and as a die hard Sox fan, I can't support the other team. So, then they started giving me crap about how they supported the Sox in '05. I just told them that there's something about being a die-hard fan that I can try to explain over & over, but no one except my fellow Sox fans understand how I feel. As much as I wanted to accessorize my black skirt with my "Where's Yours?" t-shirt, I knew it wouldn't be fair because no one wore Cub gear two years ago. Besides, this is a school and as a teacher, I have to promote fairness and good sportsmanship to the kids, unlike a certain Cub fan teacher who, two years ago to the day, walked down these hallways chanting, "Let's Go Red Sox!" Real classy. I'm still wearing my Sox Pride wristbands, though. :wink:

southside rocks
10-02-2007, 09:02 AM
I want each and every one of you to wear your White Sox paraphernalia out in public every day this week.

I'm already doing that -- sweatshirts and jackets in Sox colors with the Sox logo. :D:

I follow all baseball, whoever plays and whenever it's on. I love MLB Extra Innings and I love XM Radio because from spring training through the last out of the WS, I have access to baseball. (The Rockies-D'Backs game last night was absolutely excellent.)

The offseason, however, is long and bleak for me.

balke
10-02-2007, 09:33 AM
I don't like Brenley's announcing that much. He's okay occasionally, but he is one of those announcers that'll throw every cliche in the book at you, and argue "non-called strikes" all freaking game. Power versus Power. blah.

Fenway
10-02-2007, 10:04 AM

Lip

That isn't a valid excuse for not watching Rockies-Padres last night. Classic baseball that I watched more of than the Patriots who were on at the same time.

Lip Man 1
10-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Fenway:

I watched parts of the game last night. Remember that was a REGULAR SEASON game, that was NOT a playoff game according to MLB which treated that as a 163rd game and included all numbers in the regular season final stats. And if you take out the 'dramatic' finish, it was a lousy game. Having a 9-8 score decide a post season appearance is pathetic.

As of Wednesday the only baseball I'm watching (proudly) comes from my library of White Sox stuff.

Me thinks I'll start with a game against the O's from April 1981 and work my way from there.

The Cubs, Red Sox and Yankees can kiss my (as Bender would say with a little modification) shiny, metal rear end.

Lip

Fenway
10-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Fenway:

I watched parts of the game last night. Remember that was a REGULAR SEASON game, that was NOT a playoff game according to MLB which treated that as a 163rd game and included all numbers in the regular season final stats. And if you take out the 'dramatic' finish, it was a lousy game. Having a 9-8 score decide a post season appearance is pathetic.

As of Wednesday the only baseball I'm watching (proudly) comes from my library of White Sox stuff.

Me thinks I'll start with a game against the O's from April 1981 and work my way from there.

The Cubs, Red Sox and Yankees can kiss my (as Bender would say with a little modification) shiny, metal rear end.

Lip

Lip

I can understand how you feel.

Look I love baseball and have no ties to San Diego or Denver. The Rockies story was pretty amazing the past 2 weeks and I was rooting for them to pull it off.

It is going to be interesting to see who comes out of the National. I *think* right now the Phillies are the best team but any of the 4 ( yes even the Flubs ) have a shot.

I do fear it will be Boston-NYY in the ALCS which is lousy for the game overall. Most baseball fans are hoping for Anaheim-Cleveland.

Iknow if Boston advances I want the Indians because I do not want the 2 weeks of superhype a Yankees series would generate here.

North Sox Sider
10-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Was it me or did anyone else think the announcers for the game last night were totally lame. Joe Simpson and Don Orivello just did not seem excited at all. There was no exciting tone in their voices. I really didnt like the TBS coverage last night at all considering it was the 163rd game of the year and the loser goes home. I almost felt like it was a Braves- Pirates game and not a playoff type game. I hope that isnt a sign of things to come from TBS this playoff season.