PDA

View Full Version : Does Ryan Dempster balk all the time?

veeter
09-30-2007, 10:11 PM
He's always out of the stretch, but check out his back (right) leg each pitch. His first movement is to break that knee before delivering to the plate. It's an irritating mechanism he uses, one I've never seen anyone use before. But I feel it deceives the runner, therefore construing a balk. Legally a pitcher should break his front knee when going home...his back knee when preparing to turn and throw to first. We need to notify all playoff umpires.

Huisj
09-30-2007, 10:59 PM
We need to notify all playoff umpires.

Ok. Anyone know their email addresses?

fusillirob1983
09-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Ok. Anyone know their email addresses?

playoffumpires@mlb.com (teal)

I tried to put it in teal but it made a link.

DumpJerry
10-01-2007, 07:11 AM
We need to notify all playoff umpires.
I'll jump right on it.

veeter
10-01-2007, 07:56 AM
I'll jump right on it.Keep me posted.

PatK
10-01-2007, 09:39 AM
The way he's pitched lately, why would you care?

He sucks.

The Critic
10-01-2007, 12:03 PM
He usually gets the save, but he's scary as hell getting there.
He's abysmal in non-save situations, which makes me wonder why the Cubs would ever consider having him go back to starting (which they have considered doing).

DumpJerry
10-01-2007, 04:25 PM
I'll jump right on it.

Keep me posted.
Ok, I had lunch with the guys and they promise to keep an eye on him. Thanks for the tip.

veeter
10-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Ok, I had lunch with the guys and they promise to keep an eye on him. Thanks for the tip.I hope Froeming wasn't there. That bill would be huge. But seriously, I'm glad they're going to be watching him closely now.

DumpJerry
10-01-2007, 04:56 PM
I hope Froeming wasn't there. That bill would be huge. But seriously, I'm glad they're going to be watching him closely now.
He was there. Milt Pappas picked up the tab. It was his turn.

Hokiesox
10-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Unfortunately there's this stupid line in the interpretation of the balk rule about "normal pitching motion for individual pitchers" or something to that effect. I've always hated it, but basically, if he always does it, nobody's going to call it. I think this is also how MLB umpires never call the "pitcher must stop his motion in the set" balk, yet every single little league coach in existence swears the opposing pitcher balks on every pitch.

Nellie_Fox
10-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Psssst! Buehrle's "A move" is a balk. Let it go.

oeo
10-02-2007, 01:21 AM
Psssst! Buehrle's "A move" is a balk. Let it go.

I have no problem with whatever this is that Dumpster is doing; if he does it every time, what's the problem?

But what does Buehrle do that constitutes a balk?

ilsox7
10-02-2007, 01:24 AM
I have no problem with whatever this is that Dumpster is doing; if he does it every time, what's the problem?

But what does Buehrle do that constitutes a balk?

Almost every left-handed pitcher with a good move balks. Their right leg generally lands in a spot that constitutes a balk as opposed to a step towards 1st base. Once every blue moon, you'll see a guy get called for it. But it's rare.

Nellie_Fox
10-02-2007, 01:27 AM
But what does Buehrle do that constitutes a balk?The balk rule says you must step directly toward the base you are throwing to. Buehrle (and, as ilsox says, almost all lefties with a "good move") steps at about a 45 angle between first and home. That's a balk.

DumpJerry
10-02-2007, 08:22 AM
I recall once during the '06 season Burls getting nailed for a balk on a pick-off attempt.

Ragator43
10-02-2007, 11:45 AM
I recall once during the '06 season Burls getting nailed for a balk on a pick-off attempt.

August 7th make up game against the Angels?