PDA

View Full Version : Are the Phillies "White Sox East"?

Viva Medias B's
09-30-2007, 07:49 PM
We have called the Red Sox "Cubs East" before. With Aaron Rowand, Tadahito Iguchi, and (the out for the season) Freddy Garcia, can we consider the Phillies "White Sox East"?

RKMeibalane
09-30-2007, 07:58 PM
We have called the Red Sox "Cubs East" before. With Aaron Rowand, Tadahito Iguchi, and (the out for the season) Freddy Garcia, can we consider the Phillies "White Sox East"?

I don't really see that. Yes, the Phillies have several former Sox on their roster, but the culture of that team is completely different than the '05 Sox club that won the WS. The Phillies have some scrappy players that would have fit in well on the Sox, but whereas the '05 Sox had no real stars, the Phillies are driven by their core of Rollins, Utley, and Howard, who make up arguably the best offensive infield in all of baseball.

itsnotrequired
09-30-2007, 08:18 PM

This analogy makes little if any, sense.

chisoxmike
09-30-2007, 08:49 PM
No.

hi im skot
09-30-2007, 09:11 PM
No.

What he said.

A. Cavatica
09-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Only if they win it all.

Brian26
09-30-2007, 09:34 PM

No, but the Padres are "White Sox West" because they have Mike Cameron, Blum and Mackowiak.

HomeFish
09-30-2007, 09:49 PM
I think he means that overall, there are strong similarities between the Phillies and White Sox as organizations, not that this particular year's Phillies are like some particular year's White Sox.

Both the Phillies and the White Sox are teams that have won few championships and rarely make the playoffs. Both have fan bases that are stereotyped similarly. Ed Farmer has played for both teams. I can see the comparison between the two clubs.

fusillirob1983
09-30-2007, 10:07 PM
I think he means that overall, there are strong similarities between the Phillies and White Sox as organizations, not that this particular year's Phillies are like some particular year's White Sox.

Both the Phillies and the White Sox are teams that have won few championships and rarely make the playoffs. Both have fan bases that are stereotyped similarly. Ed Farmer has played for both teams. I can see the comparison between the two clubs.

I think the fact that Farmer played for both teams is closer to what he was going for than the rest of the description.

Sorry to disagree Media B's, but I don't see the Phillies being White Sox East. I will, however, be cheering for the Phillies to go all the way because of Rowand and Iguchi.

TDog
09-30-2007, 10:11 PM

I was thinking along these lines. The Phillies, like the White Sox before October 2005, have been around for more than 100 years and have only won the World Series once since the Cubs last won 99 years ago.

If you hate the Cubs, you could feel good about cheering for the Phillies this year because the Phillies are the only team that can claim frustration than the Cubs.

fusillirob1983
09-30-2007, 10:15 PM
I was thinking along these lines. The Phillies, like the White Sox before October 2005, have been around for more than 100 years and have only won the World Series once since the Cubs last won 99 years ago.

If you hate the Cubs, you could feel good about cheering for the Phillies this year because the Phillies are the only team that can claim frustration than the Cubs.

The Indians haven't won the World Series since the 40s and I don't think the city of Cleveland has any sort of championship since then at all. But seriously, who'd actually cheer for the Indians?

chisoxfanatic
09-30-2007, 10:22 PM
The Indians haven't won the World Series since the 40s and I don't think the city of Cleveland has any sort of championship since then at all. But seriously, who'd actually cheer for the Indians?
The Browns won a title in the '60s. But, that's it. I truly have a small sorry feeling for them. I'd be happy if the Phillies and Indians were to meet. One group of long-suffering fans would finally get something to be happy about for a change.

AJ Hellraiser
09-30-2007, 10:25 PM
I know I will be rooting for the Phillies because of Rowand and Iguchi....

HawkDJ
09-30-2007, 11:48 PM
No love for Flash?

09-30-2007, 11:52 PM
The Phillies have some scrappy players that would have fit in well on the Sox

I'm pretty sure Utley, Rollins and Howard would fit in pretty well anywhere.:D:

Viva Medias B's
10-01-2007, 07:21 AM

I'd do so over the Red Sox over Yankees.

rdwj
10-01-2007, 07:32 AM
I know I will be rooting for the Phillies because of Rowand and Iguchi....

Me too. I don't know if it's enough to call them White Sox East, but it's enough to make them my rooting interest in the NL this year.

Fenway
10-01-2007, 08:29 AM
The Phillies are the White Sox of the National League. Both teams have suffered decades of heartbreak and post-season runs are few.

I have found White Sox and Phillies fans very similar. If you are looking for a team to root for the Phils would be a nice fit.

skottyj242
10-01-2007, 09:06 AM
I wore my Phillies shirt on Saturday and my hat on Sunday and got tons of high fives and "Go Phills" from people all weekend.

jenn2080
10-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Just because they have former White Sox players on the team?

GO PHILLIES!