PDA

View Full Version : One Game Playoff for NL Wild Card

DoItForDanPasqua
09-30-2007, 05:04 PM
162 games is not enough to decide the NL Wild Card. San Diego, who yesterday were one strike away from the playoffs, will travel to Colorado. I would have to think that Peavy will start for the Padres; I'm surprised they didn't start him today.

sox1970
09-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Gametime--6:37 central

Max Power
09-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Go Rockies!

Will the playoff game be on national tv?

Mohoney
09-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Turner Sports has it on either TBS or TNT.

DoItForDanPasqua
09-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Turner Sports has it on either TBS or TNT.

This likely means it will not be on MLB.TV. I should quit being so cheap and get cable. If I go to a bar to try to watch it, they will be showing Monday Night Football.

manders_01
09-30-2007, 05:15 PM
WOO-HOO - that was sooooo freakin awesome!!! I'm thinking I might need to go to a baseball game tomorrow!!!

GO ROCKIES!!!

MrRoboto83
09-30-2007, 05:24 PM
What an incredible run by the Rockies to even be in this position, unbelievable.

Jerko
09-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Any team that has to win on the last day of the season and starts Brett Tomko..........well, I don't know. Can't save your guys for the playoffs if you don't make the playoffs. Brett Tomko. :rolleyes:

chisoxfanatic
09-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Colorado is a better team than San Diego right now. They'd run through the playoffs much easier, I think. That's why I want them in. Anything to safeguard the Cubs from getting to the World Series.

Fenway
09-30-2007, 05:28 PM
162 games is not enough to decide the NL Wild Card. San Diego, who yesterday were one strike away from the playoffs, will travel to Colorado. I would have to think that Peavy will start for the Padres; I'm surprised they didn't start him today.

The baseball gods had sadistic fun with this. The killing blow yesterday in Milwaukee was by the son of Tony Gwynn who is the Padres icon.

DoItForDanPasqua
09-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Colorado is a better team than San Diego right now. They'd run through the playoffs much easier, I think. That's why I want them in. Anything to safeguard the Cubs from getting to the World Series.

Right, may the team that matches up best against Cubs win. Hopefully it won't come to that.

thomas35forever
If the Rockies win, I'm sure every Colorado fan will be comparing this team's run to the one Cleveland had in Major League.

MDF3530
This likely means it will not be on MLB.TV. I should quit being so cheap and get cable. If I go to a bar to try to watch it, they will be showing Monday Night Football.
You could always ask them to turn one TV to the game.

Jerko
09-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Right, may the team that matches up best against Cubs win. Hopefully it won't come to that.

IIRC cubs hammered colorado to get on their big winning streak earlier in the year, and the Rockies were hot at that time too. We'll see.

manders_01
09-30-2007, 05:41 PM
IIRC cubs hammered colorado to get on their big winning streak earlier in the year, and the Rockies were hot at that time too. We'll see.

Rox lost the series in Chicago; split the series in CO.

palehozenychicty
09-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Rockies. They are a fun team to watch, and that series with the Phils will be unbelievable.

VenturaFan23
09-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Le'ts go Rockies!! :bandance:

Foulke You
09-30-2007, 07:18 PM
That Padres lineup is completely depleted right now. Mike Cameron and Milton Bradley were two of their best hitters (such is life in the NL) and they are both out with injuries. Even Mackowiak is out with a hernia. On Saturday's game, the Padres had Josh Bard batting 5th!! Yes, the same former Indians back-up catcher, Josh Bard. The only thing they have going for them is Jake Peavy. I don't see either the Rox or the Padres beating Philly in round 1 though. The Rockies just don't have the pitching that you need to go far in October.

Jjav829
09-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Any team that has to win on the last day of the season and starts Brett Tomko..........well, I don't know. Can't save your guys for the playoffs if you don't make the playoffs. Brett Tomko. :rolleyes:

Not a bad move. The other option would have been going to Peavy on 3 days rest. I have little doubt that they would have gone with Peavy if they needed to win today to stay alive. However, they were guaranteed at least a tie today. So, they figured go with Tomko and hope for either a win or a Rockies loss. And if neither happened, they would still be able to bring back Peavy on normal rest for the playoff game. If they started Peavy today on 3 days rest, and lost, then they'd be going into tomorrow starting Tomko in a must win game.

jabrch
09-30-2007, 10:35 PM
I have little doubt that they would have gone with Peavy if they needed to win today to stay alive. However, they were guaranteed at least a tie today.

That's exactly what they said they'd do. If they needed today to stay alive, Peavy would have taken the ball. But since they automatically have one more crack at it, they took a shot that maybe they'd win and then Jake would open up the playoffs.

Fenway
10-01-2007, 09:44 AM
That's exactly what they said they'd do. If they needed today to stay alive, Peavy would have taken the ball. But since they automatically have one more crack at it, they took a shot that maybe they'd win and then Jake would open up the playoffs.

It was the right move.

Padres turn to ace Peavy for playoff game vs. Rockies (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/mlb/article/0,2777,DRMN_23924_5711544,00.html)

For Rockies fans, hope holds on (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/mlb/article/0,2777,DRMN_23924_5711319,00.html) | Fans savor victory (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/mlb/article/0,2777,DRMN_23924_5711412,00.html)

http://www.newseum.org/media/dfp/jpg1/sm/CO_RMN.jpghttp://www.newseum.org/media/dfp/jpg1/sm/CO_DP.jpg

nccwsfan
10-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Rockies. They are a fun team to watch, and that series with the Phils will be unbelievable.

No question- IMO this will be the marquee matchup in the Divisional Series round (if it happens, of course).

What the Rockies have done is incredible, and I hope that they can pull it out tonight. It's a great story.

Jerko
10-01-2007, 09:58 AM
They (SD) could have started a friggin relief pitcher and had a better chance of winning than with a 4-11 (now 4-12) Brett Tomko IMO. Now they have to use Peavy today. When does he pitch again if they win today? Game 3? Could have used him yesterday and had him a game sooner for the playoffs. They counted too much on the Rockies losing IMO. Well, we shall see.

I really don't care if they make it or not, but Brett Tomko? Well at least AJ got a laugh out of this.

SoxSpeed22
10-01-2007, 10:21 AM
At least we have Tomko and Matt Herges to thank for the World Series ring. And Herges is on the Rockies too, so if he gives up the game-winning home run, AJ gets to laugh even more.

TheVulture
10-01-2007, 10:32 AM

Don't worry, the D-backs are going to show them what "smartball" is all about.
:praying:

skottyj242
10-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Jake Peavy vs. Josh Fogg. I'll take the Padres eventhough Fogg has been hot lately, a ridiculous era in his last five starts.