PDA

View Full Version : Uribe staying

LITTLE NELL
09-30-2007, 05:53 AM
Per Williams interview in SuniTimes "weather people like it or not. Uribe has had a good Sept. and hopefully it extends to next year. Hes probably the most exsasperating player in MLB. Ozzie did say that you dont find many #9 hitters with 20HRs. and 70 RBIs.

Grzegorz
09-30-2007, 06:00 AM
Why on earth would a good September be the judge of a man's body of work or worth going into the future?

I think that keeping Uribe and hoping that he becomes a disciplined ball player is a bit of a stretch.

I hope I am wrong, but the ddds are very good that we're in for more of the same in '08 with Uribe at short.

cws05champ
09-30-2007, 06:31 AM
All of his production came when we were completely out of it. He needs to go...I can't beleive the Sox will bring him back next year! I don't care if he had 20/70 for #9, that's not what this team needs. They need a guy that can get on base, handle the bat and do all the little things to help this team win...not swing for the fences everytime and run into one every once in awhile.

wassagstdu
09-30-2007, 08:19 AM
:thumbsup:

CLR01
09-30-2007, 08:33 AM
I look forward to watching him swing at everything next year I guess. :puking:

Fire KW!

LITTLE NELL
09-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Im wondering why this decision was made already, Ozzie just said earlier in the week that they would wait until the organization meetings when emotions from the season cooled down. There is no doubt that Uribe has the talent to be one of the best SS in the game. If the Sox keep him one of the coaches needs to make him a special project and beat this guy over the head with a stick about his laziness and plate disipline.

Frontman
09-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Could also be not a priority to move him, versus shoring up the 'pen, getting a CF, evaluating if Richar is staying on as the starting 2B,and getting a lead off hitter. Those roles need to be addressed prior to moving Uribe.

Mohoney
09-30-2007, 08:49 AM
I had a real bad feeling about this, and my worst premonitions have now come true.

Terrible news.

hose
09-30-2007, 08:59 AM
I don't have any problem with Uribe coming back next year.

To many other holes on the club are more important to fill.

Tragg
09-30-2007, 09:26 AM

We've got bigger issues in the OF than at SS. We also need a new bench. If Uribe plays like he can, he's fine.
I wouldn't mind getting a young quality SS, and let him play backup 2nd and SS for a year or 2, or learn in AAA.

Frater Perdurabo
09-30-2007, 09:27 AM
There's no doubt that Uribe's plate discipline and overall approach at the plate are remarkably terrible.

He is a great defensive player, though, when he's not lazy.

Until an official announcement has been made that his contract is being extended, it's entirely possible that KW is only posturing and attempting to increase Uribe's trade value.

Withhold judgment until comprehension is complete.

DrCrawdad
09-30-2007, 09:39 AM
There's no doubt that Uribe's plate discipline and overall approach at the plate are remarkably terrible.

He is a great defensive player, though, when he's not lazy.

Until an official announcement has been made that his contract is being extended, it's entirely possible that KW is only posturing and attempting to increase Uribe's trade value.

Withhold judgment until comprehension is complete.

I am hoping that the Sox sign Alexei Ramirez (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2007/09/cuban-crusher.html).

Frater Perdurabo
09-30-2007, 09:41 AM
I am hoping that the Sox sign Alexei Ramirez (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2007/09/cuban-crusher.html).

Interesting. I'd like to learn more about him. :smile:

munchman33
Well, IMO lack of a quality SS was our most glaring weakness this year, and the easiest area to make a huge upgrade and significant difference to the quality of overall team. Now, instead we'll have to make significant upgrades to several other positions, and hope they all work out significantly better than they did this year to compensate for Uribe's serious deficiencies as a ballplayer.

****. The playoffs haven't even started yet and now Kenny Williams is forcing us to forget next year and think about 2009.

DumpJerry
Isn't next year Uribe's contract year? We might see A-Rod level performance from him.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-30-2007, 09:42 AM
The problem is the Sox have their hands tied. Without a single alternative in their system, they have to re-sign Uribe, otherwise they will be trying to trade for a SS with teams knowing they have no leverage.

The Sox have to pay $5million in insurance in case he is the only option. Maybe they can re-sign him and then trade him.

Mohoney
09-30-2007, 09:42 AM
This guy is ridiculously overvalued and overpaid by this organization.

Is our scouting department so inept that we can't find somebody to play good defense at SS for the league minimum instead of throwing good money at this absolute OBP sinkhole?

I saw absolutely nothing out of Juan Uribe in 2007 to suggest that he's worth that much money. All I saw was a guy collecting a paycheck and coasting along. Sure, he made a few flashy plays here and there, and he has those 20+ home runs that Kenny Williams treats like crack cocaine, but he didn't do anything even close to earning that kind of cash.

The past few years, he's regressed defensively and he makes less contact. We're supposed to reward that with a pay raise? Take that money and buy a bullpen piece or two; that's a much better investment.

hose
09-30-2007, 09:58 AM
We've got bigger issues in the OF than at SS. We also need a new bench. If Uribe plays like he can, he's fine.
I wouldn't mind getting a young quality SS, and let him play backup 2nd and SS for a year or 2, or learn in AAA.

When the Sox are last in just about every offensive stat besides homers in the AL then Uribe's bat is a sore spot. Next year I don't think the focus will be on Juan's bat but his glove. The Sox should be able to put more runs on the board with a healthy team along with a decent CF free agent signing. Uribe's glove will be part of a rock solid defense up the middle.

How bad were the Sox on offense this year:
runs-14th...last:o:
hits-14th
2b- 14th
obp-14th
ba - 14th
3b - 13th
slg - 12th
so - 4th
bb -6th

The Dude
09-30-2007, 10:01 AM
Per Williams interview in SuniTimes "weather people like it or not. Uribe has had a good Sept. and hopefully it extends to next year. Hes probably the most exsasperating player in MLB. Ozzie did say that you dont find many #9 hitters with 20HRs. and 70 RBIs.

Well this post has really made me feel under the weather......
Excuse me....
:chunks

jabrch
09-30-2007, 10:10 AM
I have no problem keeping Uribe starting at SS - but that should mean that we have resources to use to go out and replace some other position.

If there is no viable SS replacement that we can get, then Uribe is a viable SS - so long as he plays Uribe level D. He did this year, for the most part, but he had a few really bizzare plays that just looked like a lack of focus.

If he plays GG calibre D and hits 20 HRs, he's an ok option at his salary. But that means we better spend money elsewhere to upgrade.

We have openings at SS, 2B, SS, LF/3B (depending on Crede) and the bullpen that have yet to be spoken for. Some guys have made their case for 2B and CF. Fields has staked a claim to LF, provided Crede is back. I personally hate spending big $ on relievers since they are often hit or miss from season to season except the absolute top tier closers.

It's going to be a fun offseason.

Noneck
09-30-2007, 10:59 AM
If this is true about Uribe (and I hope its not) it looks like "a what you saw is what you are going to get for 08." Thats a recipe for disaster even if a decision is made to upgrade CF with a FA. Because if that happens, I'm sure the money will be obtained by trading Garland for youth or low price relief help.

It's Time
09-30-2007, 11:35 AM
This would not go over well at Sox fest.:o:

drewcifer
09-30-2007, 11:37 AM
We all know he's horribly frustrating sometimes because of his bad plate discipline. Hopefully he really works out at, now that so much attention has been made of it.

But he's a good defender, and he does have power and run production value.

I really think there are bigger fish to fry - for instance, an everyday, CF who is as good a defender and can give us 20/70 would be a nice start.

On a side note - I met Juan last March in AZ. He was incredibly nice and gracious, signed a few things for us and even took a pic with my wife. I know that has nothing to do with anything, but he's very likable personally which is also a plus in the clubhouse.

It's Time
09-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Uribe would be a bad investment. The biggest reason that he would be a bad investment is that he is not very good.

Grzegorz
09-30-2007, 11:57 AM
We all know he's horribly frustrating sometimes because of his bad plate discipline. Hopefully he really works out at, now that so much attention has been made of it.

But he's a good defender, and he does have power and run production value.

I really think there are bigger fish to fry - for instance, an everyday, CF who is as good a defender and can give us 20/70 would be a nice start.

On a side note - I met Juan last March in AZ. He was incredibly nice and gracious, signed a few things for us and even took a pic with my wife. I know that has nothing to do with anything, but he's very likable personally which is also a plus in the clubhouse.

I am sure he's a nice guy and I believe he has an abundance of talent. That's the rub; he has an abundance of talent but very little discipline and no competition.

I'd be shocked if this leopard changed his spots in '08.

DickAllen72
09-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Bringing back Uribe is a no-brainer. As others have stated, there is no SS alternative anywhere in the Sox' system.

After you re-sign Uribe, you still see if you can trade for a better starting SS. If you can get a Furcal or a Renteria or someone like that in a reasonable trade, Uribe becomes a great super-sub.

He's currently probably the best fielding option the Sox have at 2B and 3B anyway, and even though his salary would be a little high for a sub, it would be worth it since it would guarantee the Sox would no longer have a spot for Cintron or Gonzalez ever again.

russ99
09-30-2007, 12:10 PM
If the Sox pick up the option (I'm not convinved, both Kenny and Ozzie had made really negative comments in the last week) it will be to keep someone at the position.

As I said in another thread:

The only problem is that the Sox need to make a decision 10 days after the World Series ends, and if they do decline the option, all the other teams will know the Sox have no SS and try to fleece them. Eckstein's agent (if he's any good) will also try to use the Sox' situation to raise up the going rate with other teams too.

If they do pick up the option and Uribe is not dealt in the offseason, I have no doubts Kenny will acquire another option at SS and if Juan shows up to camp fat and plays lazy he'll be cut. I don't think Uribe has the salary, patience or mentality to be a reliable sub.

jdm2662
09-30-2007, 12:12 PM
I went to the game last night, and had a very good time. Now, I read this. :o: Not happy about this at all.

soxinem1
09-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Isn't next year Uribe's contract year? We might see A-Rod level performance from him.

Yes, he may be contract-motivated. He is also trade eligible too. Who says he will be staying?

At the same token, I've said many times that Uribe's best season was in 2004, when his playing time depended upon his production, and he moved between all the INF positions. While $5 million is a lot to pay a utility guy, it is not a ton for a motivated SS in his walk year.

I believe KW wants to cover himself just in case Crede does not come back and he cannot shore up the SS via trade. If he lands Renteria or Tejada, you can bet Uribe will be gone.

jabrch
09-30-2007, 12:53 PM
This would not go over well at Sox fest.:o:

Who cares? The annual *****fest that KW hosts is the stupidest thing out there. It is embarassing that we have fans so ignorant that they make such a big deal about things like this. Lets see what the options are. You can't just create a starting SS out of thin air. If there's nobody out there who is CLEARLY a significant upgrade, there isn't much reason to eat Uribe's salary to get in someone else.

I hate Sox Fest - it is a complete joke.

Patrick134
09-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Who cares? The annual *****fest that KW hosts is the stupidest thing out there. It is embarassing that we have fans so ignorant that they make such a big deal about things like this. Lets see what the options are. You can't just create a starting SS out of thin air. If there's nobody out there who is CLEARLY a significant upgrade, there isn't much reason to eat Uribe's salary to get in someone else.

I hate Sox Fest - it is a complete joke.

Amen, a bunch of wannabe armchair Gm's using the aid of 20/20 hindsight to pretend they know something. Can't wait for the geniuses to propose more trades for Ichiro, Pujols, and Babe Ruth.

FedEx227
09-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Ugh, you're an idiot Kenny.

20 HRs and 70 RBI is great production from your 9 guy yes.

But if we want to look at stats how about you take a look at OBP and P/PA.

Great production. Uribe is one of the worst batters in the league, great he gets into a couple and drives homers. Ugh.

Why is White Sox management so stubborn?

Daver
09-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Uribe could really benefit from working with Walt Hriniak this winter.

Lip Man 1
09-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Two things:

1. I agree that it now looks like Uribe will return next season. I think this is a major mistake but the Sox as others have pointed out may not have a choice.

2. It is ironic that Scott Reifert is reporting this today on his blog:

Ozzie came into the dugout for his final media session of the season.

"Two things in baseball," he said. "Don't believe what you see in spring training or in September.

"If you are in it in September, every game counts. If you are out of it, nothing counts."

Lip

champagne030
09-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Amen, a bunch of wannabe armchair Gm's using the aid of 20/20 hindsight to pretend they know something. Can't wait for the geniuses to propose more trades for Ichiro, Pujols, and Babe Ruth.

I'd like to know when it's okay to object. I complain in early spring and I'm told it's too early, the team is not set. I disagree in April and I'm told it's too early in the season. I ***** after July 1 and I'm told it's hindsight. When is someone allowed to complain without these standard comebacks?

Lip Man 1
09-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Champagne:

Consider the source.

Patrick was a person this Summer when the Sox would win A GAME or the bullpen would actually have a 1-2-3 inning would immediately start posting about how (I'm paraphrasing) things were 'turning around' or that the Sox offense 'was about to take off' or that the Sox were ready to 'go on a long winning streak.'

I wouldn't get very upset over his recent comments.

Lip

russ99
09-30-2007, 01:57 PM

More like Jack LaLanne! :D

thomas35forever
09-30-2007, 02:47 PM
I guess we'd be screwed if we got rid of Uribe first and then couldn't find a new SS on the market. If Uribe is going to be only option next year, then so be it. It might not be the best way, but it could be all we can do.

tebman
09-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Uribe makes me crazy and has for a long time. I coached T-ball a lot of years ago and sometimes watching Uribe reminds me of that time -- most energy is spent reminding the kids to know where the play is and to watch the ball. I feel like shouting the same reminders to Uribe that I gave to my 7 year-olds: Where's your play? What's the score? Is your teammate on base?

Last night's game is a case in point. Three times he tried to bunt and the two times he made contact he clumsily banged them foul. He got lucky on the 2-strike swing a got a game-winning hit. The whole time he looked bemused, as if he showed up at a meeting and forgot who he was supposed to meet.

Grumble.

Having said all that, there aren't many options. Nobody in the minors and the players who might be free agents or available by trade cost a fortune. We may be stuck with Uribe and his ongoing brain cramps.

Grumble again.

Hitmen77
09-30-2007, 03:01 PM
The problem is the Sox have their hands tied. Without a single alternative in their system, they have to re-sign Uribe, otherwise they will be trying to trade for a SS with teams knowing they have no leverage.

The Sox have to pay $5million in insurance in case he is the only option. Maybe they can re-sign him and then trade him.

I agree. I'm not a big fan of Uribe and I'm not happy to hear that his option will likely be picked up....but you are right - the Sox have their hands tied here. They have 15 days after the World Series to decide on Uribe's option. If they decline - then they are totally at the mercy of being able to trade for a SS or land one via SS. What would happen if both of those options fell through?

Uribe's bat wouldn't be so bad in the lineup if he was by far the weakest link. The problem is that last year and this year, it often seemed like there were 3 or 4 automatic outs in our lineup. If Uribe returns, we really need alot of other pieces to fall into place - signing a CF, Fields continuing to improve, Crede healthy, a 2B who has reliablable offensive production (whether it be Richar or some free agent).

I have no problem keeping Uribe starting at SS - but that should mean that we have resources to use to go out and replace some other position.

If there is no viable SS replacement that we can get, then Uribe is a viable SS - so long as he plays Uribe level D. He did this year, for the most part, but he had a few really bizzare plays that just looked like a lack of focus.

If he plays GG calibre D and hits 20 HRs, he's an ok option at his salary. But that means we better spend money elsewhere to upgrade.

IMO, this is one of the most maddening things about Uribe. His fielding % may be high, but darn it if it didn't seem like his errors were extremely ill-timed and costly over the last 2 seasons. Now that the Sox are playing meaningless games, he appears to be playing excellent defense. But, earlier in the season, it seemed like he repeated made this error that cost us games and just ripped the heart out of any semblance of momentum we could possibly muster.

You're right - it just looks like a lack of focus. :mad:

Frater Perdurabo
09-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Uribe makes me crazy and has for a long time. I coached T-ball a lot of years ago and sometimes watching Uribe reminds me of that time -- most energy is spent reminding the kids to know where the play is and to watch the ball. I feel like shouting the same reminders to Uribe that I gave to my 7 year-olds: Where's your play? What's the score? Is your teammate on base?

You're right - it just looks like a lack of focus. :mad:

Anyone think Uribe might have ADHD?

JermaineDye05
09-30-2007, 03:10 PM
I look forward to watching him swing at everything next year I guess. :puking:

Fire KW!

I really hope the Fire KW was supposed to be in teal. If not I don't know what you're talking about. Fire Kenny just cause he said Uribe was staying? Kenny won't go on the radio and say, Uribe is gone we're going to release him after this season. Also, we all know Kenny likes to go under the radar ever since the whole Omar Vizquel thing. So if Kenny has any plans to sign or trade for another shortstop (A-Rod/Tejada), he's not going to say it publicly. I really don't pay much attention to what Kenny says in the paper or on the radio, because I know he won't bash the team or players like that publicly. He may have been telling a half truth, Uribe will be stay but not with the team just within the organization like Charlotte.

CLR01
09-30-2007, 03:16 PM
I really hope the Fire KW was supposed to be in teal. If not I don't know what you're talking about. Fire Kenny just cause he said Uribe was staying? Kenny won't go on the radio and say, Uribe is gone we're going to release him after this season. Also, we all know Kenny likes to go under the radar ever since the whole Omar Vizquel thing. So if Kenny has any plans to sign or trade for another shortstop (A-Rod/Tejada), he's not going to say it publicly. I really don't pay much attention to what Kenny says in the paper or on the radio, because I know he won't bash the team or players like that publicly. He may have been telling a half truth, Uribe will be stay but not with the team just within the organization like Charlotte.

Pay $5 mil to have him hang out in Charlotte when you could pay $300K to rid yourself of him for good. Great plan! Better even than paying him $5 million to ride the bench and be the super sub.

California Sox
09-30-2007, 03:32 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath. When is the last time the Sox stepped up to sign a coveted International player? Ramirez will end up in Bos, NY, Atl, Seattle. LA, or Cleveland. The Sox will continue to sign guys for >$100,000 and hope to catch lightning in a bottle as they apparently have with Fautino De Los Santos. If you want to know why the Sox haven't developed a real MLB shortstop since Bucky Dent, their unwillingness to spend internationally is the primary reason.

jabrch
09-30-2007, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath. When is the last time the Sox stepped up to sign a coveted International player?

This is the same silly story people were spitting out about resigning Buehrle. When was the last time before 2005 we won the World Series?

I trust our scouting dept will evaluate if this guy can play in the majors, and then decide what he is worth based on that.

What the Sox won't do is pay $50mm just for the right to talk to him then find that he is the equivalent of an American FA who they could have gotten for much less.

champagne030
09-30-2007, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath. When is the last time the Sox stepped up to sign a coveted International player? Ramirez will end up in Bos, NY, Atl, Seattle. LA, or Cleveland. The Sox will continue to sign guys for >$100,000 and hope to catch lightning in a bottle as they apparently have with Fautino De Los Santos. If you want to know why the Sox haven't developed a real MLB shortstop since Bucky Dent, their unwillingness to spend internationally is the primary reason.

:thumbsup:

Yep. Take the easy sign.....Hopefully we won't pass on a far superior talent with our draft pick this upcoming season to take someone that will sign easy, reach Chicago in a couple of years, and max out as a #4/5.

munchman33
09-30-2007, 04:46 PM

Uribe working out in any fashion this winter would be a surprise. There is absolutely no precedent for that. He's lazy in season. He isn't going to stop being lazy in the offseason. Especially when we're stupid enough to already pay him $5 million for his crappy ass status quo next year.

Daver
09-30-2007, 04:52 PM
This is the same silly story people were spitting out about resigning Buehrle. When was the last time before 2005 we won the World Series?

I trust our scouting dept will evaluate if this guy can play in the majors, and then decide what he is worth based on that.

What the Sox won't do is pay $50mm just for the right to talk to him then find that he is the equivalent of an American FA who they could have gotten for much less.

No, he has a point, the Sox don't spend enough on scouting this country, let alone international scouting, where their presence is almost minuscule outside of Latin America, where it is still small.

Law11
09-30-2007, 04:54 PM

LIKE A BULLPEN.

DickAllen72
09-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Pay $5 mil to have him hang out in Charlotte when you could pay $300K to rid yourself of him for good. Great plan! Better even than paying him $5 million to ride the bench and be the super sub.
Or they can save the $5M and have Pedro Lopez start at SS.

y2j2785
09-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Or they can save the $5M and have Pedro Lopez start at SS.

Pedro Lopez is on the Reds

DickAllen72
09-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Pedro Lopez is on the Reds
All the more reason to re-sign Uribe.

Brian26
09-30-2007, 07:26 PM
This team can win with Uribe as the #9 hitter if Kenny plans on filling the other holes in the lineup, including LF and CF.

kevin57
09-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Before the season ever began, Ozzie vowed that if Uribe didn't show up in shape, he was not going to be a part of the organization. This was in shape?:?: So, Ozzie, are you to be taken seriously or not?

KyWhiSoxFan
09-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Uribe working out in any fashion this winter would be a surprise. There is absolutely no precedent for that. He's lazy in season. He isn't going to stop being lazy in the offseason. Especially when we're stupid enough to already pay him $5 million for his crappy ass status quo next year.

If Uribe works out in the offseason, it would be the first time he's ever worked out. I would imagine the only thing Uribe does in the offseason is golf: So he can practice hitting balls on the ground at his ankles.

JB98
09-30-2007, 11:00 PM
I just don't understand why the organization keeps babbling about Uribe's "potential" and "talent." The man is going to be 29 years old next Opening Day. He's been on the club four years. HE IS WHAT HE IS. He is going to be streaky and finish around .240/20/70 every year.

That said, the free-agent options at the position are not that attractive. I'm not interested in David Eckstein or Omar Vizquel. Sorry. It isn't like we can put Andy Gonzalez at SS. If we can't upgrade from outside the organization, I'm afraid we're stuck with Uribe.

I just wish Ozzie, KW, Hawk and DJ would stop trying to sell me on Uribe's impending greatness. I'm not going to buy that.

WhiteSox5187
09-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Bringing Uribe back in 2008 is TOTALLY inexcusable. No one can make the arguement that he's a good hitter (he's not) and I don't understand this "well he's a good fielder" arguement. He's not!!! He has a great arm, that doesn't mean he's a good fielder!!! Every ball he takes to the side, he's lazy out there, honestly at times it looks like he doesn't even care...bringing him back at SS in '08 is saying "We're looking forward to 2009..."

upperdeckusc
09-30-2007, 11:57 PM

ya that wouldnt be too bad for a #9 hitter. but uribe bats anywhere from 5-8 for us. kind of a difference when your 6 or 7 hitter is batting .230. maybe i'd pay 1-2 mil for that tops, not 5.

Domeshot17
10-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Great, more Uribe. Kenny, I know you get paid the big bucks, but shouldnt you know by now, mediocre crappy players= mediocre crappy results. Uribe, Owens, Andy Gonzalez, Come on. Its bad enough the Bears suck this year, but we the Sox sucking all year and not having the guts to admit you need to change directions is even more frusterating.

You need a new SS a new CF 3 arms in the pen. Make it happen.

upperdeckusc
10-01-2007, 12:12 AM

i didnt hear the interview, but based on this quote, am i the only one that reads this and doesnt think its a 100% quoted guarantee that he'll be back? from KW's point of view, you have to speak as if he'll be back with the team. what do you want him to say...."uribe only did good in april and september and i want nothing to do with him next yr." that would just be dumb. i think this is just another way for KW not to show his hand about his plans. i honestly dont think that he wants uribe at SS next yr. if we truly have big plans for this offseason, that 5 mil can definitely come into handy.

pmck003
10-01-2007, 01:04 AM
Bringing back Uribe is a no-brainer. As others have stated, there is no SS alternative anywhere in the Sox' system.

After you re-sign Uribe, you still see if you can trade for a better starting SS. If you can get a Furcal or a Renteria or someone like that in a reasonable trade, Uribe becomes a great super-sub.

He's currently probably the best fielding option the Sox have at 2B and 3B anyway, and even though his salary would be a little high for a sub, it would be worth it since it would guarantee the Sox would no longer have a spot for Cintron or Gonzalez ever again.

I like the idea of Uribe as a sub; if Uribe was a sub, could the Sox save money on other subs?

Grzegorz
10-01-2007, 05:57 AM
This team can win with Uribe as the #9 hitter if Kenny plans on filling the other holes in the lineup, including LF and CF.

The process of winning the AL Central is a multivariate equation.

Minnesota, Detroit, Cleveland, & Kansas City have much to say in who wins the AL Central based on the strength of their roster. In addition to those outside factors, there will be times where the number nine slot will be called on to bunt a runner over, hit a fly ball, or hit and run.

If Uribe is in the number nine slot will he be able to perform those tasks? If not, then it is very possible that the Chicago White Sox will continue to lose these types of games.

KyWhiSoxFan
10-01-2007, 08:15 AM
I like the idea of Uribe as a sub; if Uribe was a sub, could the Sox save money on other subs?

A $5million sub is not something the Sox will be able to afford. He either is a starter or he gone.

soxtalker
10-01-2007, 09:56 AM
i didnt hear the interview, but based on this quote, am i the only one that reads this and doesnt think its a 100% quoted guarantee that he'll be back? from KW's point of view, you have to speak as if he'll be back with the team. what do you want him to say...."uribe only did good in april and september and i want nothing to do with him next yr." that would just be dumb. i think this is just another way for KW not to show his hand about his plans. i honestly dont think that he wants uribe at SS next yr. if we truly have big plans for this offseason, that 5 mil can definitely come into handy.

Reading the Suntimes article, I would tend to agree with you that KW wasn't saying 100% that he was going to sign him. However, IIRC, KW does have to make a decision on whether to exercise the option within a couple of weeks of the World Series.

Zisk77
10-01-2007, 01:13 PM

Tadihito iguchi and Shingo Takatsu say hello.

itsnotrequired
10-01-2007, 01:21 PM

Takasu didn't have a single error as a shortstop. He was a stud!

WhiteSox5187
10-01-2007, 06:23 PM
I don't recall how coveted Shingo was as a closer, but I remember that Iguchi's agent pitched him to the Red Sox, the Yankees, and the Mets and they all passed on him. He signed with the White Sox more or less by default because nobody else would take a chance on him...I don't think he was a coveted free agent like Dice-K where teams were bidding to get him.

Domeshot17
10-01-2007, 07:12 PM
I don't recall how coveted Shingo was as a closer, but I remember that Iguchi's agent pitched him to the Red Sox, the Yankees, and the Mets and they all passed on him. He signed with the White Sox more or less by default because nobody else would take a chance on him...I don't think he was a coveted free agent like Dice-K where teams were bidding to get him.

Correct. The Sox scouted with him with the Red Sox Yanks Mets etc. His agent wanted a 4 year 28 mil or 3 year 21 mil. The Sox threw him the deal he signed, which was originally turned down. After everyone else passed, he signed.

wdelaney72
10-02-2007, 09:28 AM
$5 million dollars for a guy who's not mentally in the game and has no plate discipline.

I'd rather see a no-name than pay Uribe $5 million to go out there and perform as he has the last 2 seasons.

Risk
10-02-2007, 10:44 AM
$5 million dollars for a guy who's not mentally in the game and has no plate discipline.

I'd rather see a no-name than pay Uribe $5 million to go out there and perform as he has the last 2 seasons.

I agree. I would rather the Sox try an alternative route than pay $5M for a guy who has underacheived the last two years. Picking up Uribe's option and paying him that kind of money shows that players are not held accountable for their crappy play and that you reward poor performance.

Risk

lostfan
10-02-2007, 02:37 PM
If they manage to get a major FA to play CF I don't have a problem moving Owens to LF so that'd kill 2 birds with one stone. Owens isn't a CF. But he brings exactly what Pods brings on offense, while a little better in the field and with a weaker arm (lol I guess that's actually possible). Plus, he's cheap. Really cheap.

A. Cavatica
10-03-2007, 01:02 AM
Picking up Uribe's option and paying him that kind of money shows that players are not held accountable for their crappy play and that you reward poor performance.

That's the message I've been getting from the team for the past year and a half.

SOBdmb
10-03-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm way too late into this, but Uribe would be a solid back up, but at $5.5mill, the Sox could basically sign any major league talent that would serve the same purpose. Solid September, Juan, solid arm, but fat and stupid is no way to go through life (Animal House...best frat movie ever)