PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "Sign of things to come in '08?" 9-29 Postgame Thread

Viva Medias B's
09-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Another win.

:bandance:

drewcifer
09-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Floyd looked good for the 2nd time - against the same team.

Hitmen77
09-29-2007, 10:00 PM
One more win tomorrow and we'll avoid 90 losses. Small consolation, but it's nice to see that streak continue for an 18th season.

Too bad we don't play more teams like we play Detroit.

TDog
09-29-2007, 10:09 PM
I picked up the game on the Internet tonight with the score tied in the eighth. I'm sure people were frustrated with Uribe for not getting the bunt down. Sometimes it works better when you don't get the bunt down.

Avoiding 90 losses would be nice, but the Sox have already kept the Tigers from reaching 90 wins. A year after the White Sox got to the World Series, they won 90 games. In the American League, you really don't stand a chance to get to the postseason without 90 wins, and even then, 90 probably won't be good enough. Of course, the AL Central that some believed was the toughest division in major league baseball (I maintained in April that it was the second-weakest) will only have two teams finish above .500.

nccwsfan
09-29-2007, 10:12 PM
It would be nice to see them end the season with the longest winning streak of their season (5 games)...hopefully they can go out on a positive note.

Tragg
More good pitching. Floyd's done well since the initial disaster in his debut in game 2 of that ridiculous DH against the Twins.

Lip Man 1
I was going to mention the same thing about not getting 90 losses. Maybe it's just psychological.

Lip

A. Cavatica
09-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Floyd looked good for the 2nd time - against the same team.

Floyd has had about six good (or at least decent) starts in a row, which is more than I thought he had in him. Of course they've come in meaningless games against September lineups, and this is the first of those games the Sox actually won, but he's done his job. Nice game, Gavin. :gulp:

Brian26
09-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Avoiding 90 losses would be nice, but the Sox have already kept the Tigers from reaching 90 wins.

I'd like to see the Sox win tomorrow just to say they finished the year on a five-game winning streak and to go into the offseason with a good feeling for '08.

SoxSpeed22
09-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Floyd is definitely more confident out there. The 5th, or possibly 4th and 5th starter spots are wide open for next year depending on what happens in the winter. It looks like the young guys have shown enough for optimism for '08, it should be an interesting offseason, as long as that damn bullpen gets addressed.

drewcifer
09-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Floyd has had about six good (or at least decent) starts in a row, which is more than I thought he had in him. Of course they've come in meaningless games against September lineups, and this is the first of those games the Sox actually won, but he's done his job. Nice game, Gavin. :gulp:

The last time he looked decent when he was a plug in for JC against the same team. That's about it.

What "job" has he done? He doesn't even have one on this team.

GlassSox
09-29-2007, 11:05 PM
I'd like to see the Sox win tomorrow just to say they finished the year on a five-game winning streak and to go into the offseason with a good feeling for '08.

I agree with you and I liked the Erstad post game interview today. We will be at game tomorrow and hope we see a winner. Let's go out on a positive note.

MCHSoxFan
09-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Man, I was going nuts in the ninth. I was so mad when it was 2 to 2. I am just so happy that Juan did it (Make himself offensively useful!) I hope we can actual get a sweep tomorrow. WHAT AN END TO THE 2007 SEASON!!!

Edit: Sorry, I did not see previous postgame thread!

GlassSox
09-29-2007, 11:09 PM
Let's end on a winner tomorrow. Looking forward to being there tomorrow. It has been a long troubled season but we went to opening day and now closing day, 40 games attended this year. We stuck with them and we are looking forward to 08. Go Sox.

MCHSoxFan
09-29-2007, 11:09 PM

Exactly.

salty99
09-29-2007, 11:14 PM

You also want to see them win because you want your record for the season to be over .500

Brian26
09-29-2007, 11:16 PM
You also want to see them win because you want your record for the season to be over .500

Don't jinx it, Salty. Bring your Contreras card tomorrow.

jabrch
09-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Anyone still think we made a bad deal in trading Freddy for Gavin and Gio?

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Too bad we don't play more teams like we play Detroit.
Our record is so bad right now because of a grand total of THREE teams. If we didn't **** up so much against the Red Sox, Mariners, and Cubs (we were a grand total of 3-19 against those teams), we would be at least to the point of respectibility! We really didn't do too horribly against anyone else.

TheCommander
09-29-2007, 11:52 PM

Never did. :smile:

GAsoxfan
09-30-2007, 12:01 AM
The last time he looked decent when he was a plug in for JC against the same team. That's about it.

What "job" has he done? He doesn't even have one on this team.

I think his 3.19 ERA in September disputes that claim.

JB98
09-30-2007, 12:09 AM

Yes, because the goal at the time was to win in 2007. That trade did nothing to help us this year. We're 72-89, 18 fewer wins than in 2006, which is proof positive that Kenny had a rough offseason last year.

If we trade another veteran starter this offseason, I hope we get some damn position players that can help us. That's what this team desperately needs, not more project pitchers that might help us in a year or two.

I'm glad the pitching staff is finishing up the year strong. Wassermann continues to impress out of the bullpen.

voodoochile
09-30-2007, 12:26 AM
Yes, because the goal at the time was to win in 2007. That trade did nothing to help us this year. We're 72-89, 18 fewer wins than in 2006, which is proof positive that Kenny had a rough offseason last year.

If we trade another veteran starter this offseason, I hope we get some damn position players that can help us. That's what this team desperately needs, not more project pitchers that might help us in a year or two.

I'm glad the pitching staff is finishing up the year strong. Wassermann continues to impress out of the bullpen.

I disagree, while KW obviously rolled the dice on young live arms in the bullpen and came up craps, the rest of the problems that plagued the team were less fixable. Yes, injuries to Erstad, Pods and Thome were predictable but to have all of those injuries hit at the same time was simply bad luck. In addition, JD's knee problems in the first half, Contreras falling off the map and Garland struggling with a sore shoulder were not something expected. Add in Crede's back completely failing, Uribe and Iguchi having their worst years in a Sox uniform and it's not really KW's fault what happened this year. Anyone who could predict the exact series of events that led to this team failing this badly with such high expectations should go sign up for the next lotto drawing because they are wasting their talents talking baseball at WSI.

Besides, given the payroll constraints and the fact that the team was at or over budget to start the season made it difficult to fix many of these problems.

Hindsight is 20/20 and keeping Garcia wouldn't have helped the team win this year either, so whatever they got for him was good and having received one potentially ready MLB starter and another guy who might be a starter or simply add depth to the bullpen is money in the bank compared to what we would get for Garcia now or when he left in the off season via FA.

One thing for sure, KW is definitely being proven correct in his stockpiling of young live arms at present. How many of these guys are already paying dividends and will give the Sox either badly needed payroll space to sign some better position players or allow the Sox to beat other packages by offering young cheap arms who are MLB ready or close to it.

There's a lot more going on that meets the eye, running a MLB club has a huge amount of dynamics to manage. Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you, but at the least the Sox are well positioned for pitching at present and there is NO WAY that can be considered a bad thing...

Hitmen77
09-30-2007, 12:26 AM
Our record is so bad right now because of a grand total of THREE teams. If we didn't **** up so much against the Red Sox, Mariners, and Cubs (we were a grand total of 3-19 against those teams), we would be at least to the point of respectibility! We really didn't do too horribly against anyone else.

...and 4-14 overall in Interleague play. :angry:

Hitmen77
09-30-2007, 12:27 AM

I wouldn't exactly call those games in early September against Detroit and Cleveland "meaningless" to those other teams since they were both still in pursuit of a playoff spot.

A. Cavatica
09-30-2007, 02:05 AM
I wouldn't exactly call those games in early September against Detroit and Cleveland "meaningless" to those other teams since they were both still in pursuit of a playoff spot.

They weren't -- but they were meaningless to the Sox. As proof, I offer you Andy Gonzalez.

jabrch
09-30-2007, 04:05 AM

I disagree. It freed up 10mm that would have otherwise somehow needed to be created somewhere. And we got more production from Freddy's replacement at the league minimum than we would have gotten from Freddy.

Oh - and we got a top tier LH SP prospect + another legitimate SP Prospect.

I don't know how this trade can't be considered HEAVILY favoring the Sox. The fact that we had a bunch of injuries and a disappointing bullpen doesn't mean that the individual trade in question wasn't a win.

SBSoxFan
09-30-2007, 06:19 AM

Since August 28th, 5 of Floyd's 6 starts were "quality starts." The offense averaged 1.5 runs per game in Floyd's 10 starts for the season.

cws05champ
09-30-2007, 06:41 AM
Floyd has made it very interesting for the Sox management meetings in 3 weeks. Do they try and trade Garland and put Floyd and Danks in the rotation(or Gio, Phillips et al)? I hope Gavin's confidence has finally turned the corner...that's all this kid is lacking. I would be nice to see the Sox with a few dominant young starters come up in the next 1-1.5 years.

Go Sox for 2008!!!! (and whoever plays the Cubs in the playoffs)

Railsplitter
09-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Would have been better a couple moths ago, but I'll take it.
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Frankfan4life
09-30-2007, 01:23 PM
I want to comment on the atmosphere at the game yesterday. Nice size crowd, but we were being out-shouted by a few thousand Tigger/cub fans for most of the game as Sox fans sat on their hands. I was really getting mad when they started booing Jim Thome after he hit the two-run homer. That was bush-league because he was being honored that day.

However, I have to give Sox fans credit for coming alive in the 9th inning. After the walk to Erstad, the noise level in the place was almost deafening. The chants of "Let's Go WHITE SOX!" clearly drowned out any attempt the Tigger/cub fans tried to make to counter it. The cheering intensified after Pods got his base hit. The Tigger fans sitting in the row in front of me were visibly shaken and got up and left. And, of course, after Uribad (ok, for now I'll call him Uribe because he got the game-winning hit) the crowd went absolutely bonkers!!! I loved it!!

I have to say that was a lot of fun but I don't understand why a bunch of Tigger fans would invade the Cell and make a lot of noise when their team got swept in the World Series last year by a team with the worst record in the playoffs and then they don't even make the playoffs this year. I'm rooting for the sweep today and hopefully we'll have a live crowd out there.