PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone wearing their socks high today?

JermaineDye05
09-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Did Ozzie tell them to or something? I just ask because this is the first time I can remember seeing everyone on the roster wearing their socks high.

JermaineDye05
09-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Well I just heard them say they honored Jim Thome earlier today for hitting 500 homeruns. Is it possible the teams just weating it to honor Jimmy?

oeo
09-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Did Ozzie tell them to or something? I just ask because this is the first time I can remember seeing everyone on the roster wearing their socks high.

Because they felt like it? :dunno:

I doubt Ozzie told a bunch of grown men to put their socks up.

Viva Medias B's
09-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Well I just heard them say they honored Jim Thome earlier today for hitting 500 homeruns. Is it possible the teams just weating it to honor Jimmy?

They gave Thome a ring for the feat too.

eriqjaffe
09-29-2007, 07:21 PM
They gave Thome a ring for the feat too.They gave him a ring for wearing high socks? :?:

JermaineDye05
09-29-2007, 07:41 PM
I really wish they did this more often. I like the high socks look for baseball players. It seems more natural. Although there are some players it wouldn't work for like Pauly and AJ for example.

WhiteSox5187
09-29-2007, 08:33 PM
I really wish they did this more often. I like the high socks look for baseball players. It seems more natural. Although there are some players it wouldn't work for like Pauly and AJ for example.
I think it looks good on everybody...that's how a baseball uniform was meant to be worn...Christ they should go a step further, everyone should wear stirrups!!!

Grzegorz
09-29-2007, 08:39 PM
"Why is everyone wearing their socks high today?"

Because that is what grinders do... :cool:

DSpivack
09-29-2007, 08:57 PM
I think it looks good on everybody...that's how a baseball uniform was meant to be worn...Christ they should go a step further, everyone should wear stirrups!!!

Yes! I love the stirrup look. Two Cardinals get it perfect, Brendan Ryan and one other whom I forget.

JermaineDye05
09-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Yes! I love the stirrup look. Two Cardinals get it perfect, Brendan Ryan and one other whom I forget.

I believe the other one is Anthony Reyes.

Nellie_Fox
09-30-2007, 01:49 AM
Because they want to look like baseball players?

MLB needs to tighten up their uniform rules. Uniform means the same. Everybody on the team should wear their uniforms the same way.

southside rocks
09-30-2007, 07:37 AM

Yes. From the Whitesox.com story about the ceremonies that were held for Jim Thome last night:
In honor of Thome, all of the White Sox starters wore their pants up to their knees as Thome does.

Sox
10-01-2007, 10:27 PM

bravo, Bravo. I couldn't agree more. I can't stand the way the uniform pants hangs over the shoe tops. :wink:

Bucky F. Dent
10-02-2007, 07:26 AM
I don't have much of an opinion as between socks or stirrups, but the current trend of wearing the pants all the way to the ground looks ridiculous.

Procol Harum
10-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Amen and amen! If not full-on stirrups, then they should at least wear actual socks. I don't remember who started this full-length pants thing, but I do recall our very own Big Frank as being one of the earliest culprits I noticed. Any team of pony league kids look more like baseball players than do most Major Leaguers.. :angry:

Myrtle72
10-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Because they want to look like baseball players?

MLB needs to tighten up their uniform rules. Uniform means the same. Everybody on the team should wear their uniforms the same way.

Like the Yankees? Yuck.

I like the individuality they have right now, that the players can choose to wear certain things differently than the other people on the team. Otherwise, it just looks like boot camp to me.

skottyj242
10-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Doesn't Thome wear his socks high as a superstition? What if someone wore their pants low for the same reason? I think now that it's out there that the players can wear whatever they want the union will never balk on that issue so we're stuck with Sponge Bob Manny Ramirez Overly Baggy Pants.

Nellie_Fox
10-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Like the Yankees? Yuck.

I like the individuality they have right now, that the players can choose to wear certain things differently than the other people on the team. Otherwise, it just looks like boot camp to me.

Doesn't Thome wear his socks high as a superstition? What if someone wore their pants low for the same reason? I think now that it's out there that the players can wear whatever they want the union will never balk on that issue so we're stuck with Sponge Bob Manny Ramirez Overly Baggy Pants.So you guys would be okay with someone wearing the sleeveless vest while the rest of the team wore the regular jersey? Or maybe a custom-made long sleeved jersey for "individuality?" How is sleeve length different than pants leg length?

By the way, the Yankees, (on uniforms, not hair,) are no different than any other team. They have pants lengths running the gamut as well. And I don't think the union has a say on uniforms. The year they retired Jackie Robinson's number, Deion Sanders tried to wear 3" long sleeves in Jackie's honor, and MLB said he couldn't unless the whole team did, and the union didn't step in.

skottyj242
10-02-2007, 10:47 AM
So you guys would be okay with someone wearing the sleeveless vest while the rest of the team wore the regular jersey? Or maybe a custom-made long sleeved jersey for "individuality?" How is sleeve length different than pants leg length?

By the way, the Yankees, (on uniforms, not hair,) are no different than any other team. They have pants lengths running the gamut as well. And I don't think the union has a say on uniforms. The year they retired Jackie Robinson's number, Deion Sanders tried to wear 3" long sleeves in Jackie's honor, and MLB said he couldn't unless the whole team did, and the union didn't step in.

First of all what did I ever say about the jersey? I was only talking about the pants. Second if MLB came out and said that every player in the majors has to wear the high socks you don't think there would be at least a little fight from the union?

Oblong
10-02-2007, 11:23 AM
What's funny is that many my age (mid 30s) think of the stirrup look as classic but I recall reading in Bouton's book that when the guys started cutting up their socks to show more of the stirrup it was considered showboating. The players thought it made them look thinner.

The high sock look like Thome is actually the classic look. The stirrup along the bottom of the foot was needed because they couldn't wear the whole sock due to infection problems. (The dye would leak from your feet sweating and would get into the sores/blisters on your feet). But in the 50s/60s, guys started cutting the sock higher and higher until the early 90s where it was nothing but the stirrup with no sock.

The Tiger organization requires all minor leaguers to wear high socks. Maybe there's a reason they don't at hte MLB level or maybe it's because they don't think it's worth the hassles because the players are set in their ways and any little thing you can do to make them comfortable is worth doing.

HerzogVon
10-02-2007, 11:24 AM
I've always believed that the batting helmet should be optionally replaceable with a WWI Picklehaube. This way, instead of bunting, the batter simply lowers his head and impales the ball on the spike. From there, it should be easy enough to run to first base unmolested. I mean, who wants to get in the path of of a 220lbs ball player charging like a berserk unicorn?

Paul von Hindenburg

Nellie_Fox
10-02-2007, 01:48 PM
First of all what did I ever say about the jersey? I was only talking about the pants. Second if MLB came out and said that every player in the majors has to wear the high socks you don't think there would be at least a little fight from the union?

You missed me on both points. I didn't say you said anything about the jersey; I was just asking why is it okay to regulate sleeve lengths and not pants lengths? Secondly, I didn't say MLB should require high socks; I said they should require everyone on a team be the same, just like they do with sleeve lengths. It's called a uniform, and when everyone wears it differently, it's not uniform.

Iguana775
10-02-2007, 09:55 PM
I love the high socks. I wish more players wore them.