PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Autograph Session

GlassSox
09-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Can someone tell me where @ USCF the 11:45am - 12:15pm autograph session will take place. Thanks

TheCommander
09-29-2007, 04:48 PM
I emailed the Sox yesterday and this is the response I got:

The autograph session will take place from 11:45am-12:15pm with the players at the bottom of each aisle around the 100 level, standing along the warning track (similar to Kids Days autograph sessions).

Players and exact locations are to be determined, and subject to availability. The ticket office windows will have player listings on Sunday morning.

GlassSox
09-29-2007, 04:51 PM
I emailed the Sox yesterday and this is the response I got:

The autograph session will take place from 11:45am-12:15pm with the players at the bottom of each aisle around the 100 level, standing along the warning track (similar to Kids Days autograph sessions).

Players and exact locations are to be determined, and subject to availability. The ticket office windows will have player listings on Sunday morning.

Just what I wanted know, thanks very much.

hi im skot
09-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Is this a kids day thing, or is this open to all fans?

TheCommander
09-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Is this a kids day thing, or is this open to all fans?

The way that response is worded(in my previous post) and the general info on the team website,I am assuming it is open to anyone. I am just waiting for all of the inevitable "adults shouldn't collect autographs" posts.:rolleyes:

dakuda
09-29-2007, 05:34 PM
I'll buy a program and try to grab a few. Can't hurt. I need more things on my wall in the gameroom anyway. It is looking bare.

TheCommander
09-29-2007, 05:35 PM
I'll buy a program and try to grab a few. Can't hurt. I need more things on my wall in the gameroom anyway. It is looking bare.

A 2008 White Sox World Series banner would look nice.

Brian26
09-29-2007, 05:54 PM
The way that response is worded(in my previous post) and the general info on the team website,I am assuming it is open to anyone. I am just waiting for all of the inevitable "adults shouldn't collect autographs" posts.:rolleyes:

I need to get Pods or Contreras since they are likely gone after the season.

Anyone go to the Timo signing today in Countryside?

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-29-2007, 07:13 PM
I need to get Pods or Contreras since they are likely gone after the season.

Anyone go to the Timo signing today in Countryside?

I know someone that did. He said he was a little late, but it worked out ok. He kept asking people with bats where they got them because he needed a new one.

salty99
09-29-2007, 10:16 PM

It is open to everyone and they have this at the last game almost every year. I see alot of people getting the team posters signed they hand out before the game.

BainesHOF
09-29-2007, 10:41 PM
I got Timo to sign a game-used bat. It was a bit of a strange encounter.

I stepped up to Timo and said, "Nice ring," since he was wearing his 2005 World Series ring, then handed him the bat. For some reason, Timo signed it in a really weird place, above the name label and to the right at the very end of the bat. If you displayed the bat, you wouldn't even be able to see his signature. As I left, Timo said, "Nice bat." It wasn't a smart aleck comment. He seemed sincere, which made the weird way he signed my bat even stranger.

Anyway, I went to my car a bit miffed since I just paid $30 for him to sign the bat in a strange spot. I started my car, then saw someone come up to my driver's side window asking if he could see my bat. I asked him why, and he told me Timo wanted to take a closer look at it to get the model number. Okay, I said, as long as you could have Timo re-sign the bat in the middle between the labels.

We both went back inside the shop and Timo spent some time checking out the bat and taking some half swings from his chair. Then he had his buddy write the model number down and asked the store owner for a tape measure so he could measure the bat's length. When that was done, his buddy asked him to re-sign the bat and he did no problem.

When I got home, I removed the bad signature so now my bat looks fine. And I guess Timo now has the model number of an old bat he really liked.

BainesHOF
09-29-2007, 10:43 PM
By the way, Sunday's signing session probably won't include all the players. I say this because at least last year the players in the day's starting lineup did not participate. That, for one, means Contreras won't be signing.

Brian26
09-29-2007, 11:18 PM
Baines-

That's the whackiest autograph signing story I've ever heard.

What did you use to get the bad auto off?

BainesHOF
09-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Baines-

That's the whackiest autograph signing story I've ever heard.

What did you use to get the bad auto off?

Ooops! multi-purpose remover. I got it at K-mart or Walmart. It works great at removing a silver autograph on a black bat.

GlassSox
09-30-2007, 05:55 PM
I managed to get autographs from Jenks and Cintron since he was next to Jenks. It was worth getting there early and waiting in line.

Jenks was very nice.

Brian26
09-30-2007, 06:06 PM
I was able to get Pods. Danks was with him, but I didn't really have anything for him to sign since they didn't announce the pairings until right before the game. I talked to him a bit while I was waiting for Scotty to finish with the people ahead of me. I told him he did a good job this year and wished him luck for next season.

Domeshot17
09-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Was overall pretty good. My girlfriends family got a little excited, didnt really need to get there and 945 but it wasnt bad. Got Dye Garland and Pablo on my world series poster, Fields and Macdougal on the handout poster they gave away and Broadway and Garland on a baseball. Katie went to Pods line, got her picture of him getting mobbed after his WS homerun signed. The line for Buehrle was insane. The cool part about today was they inscribed. JD was fine putting WS MVP under his name. Sox Fest they have a hissy fit about that.

BeefyD
09-30-2007, 07:02 PM
I got there about 11:15, and was FINALLY able to get AJ to sign my jersey (there's been 3 times that I've been shut out from getting his auto). My wife and daughter were one of the last people to get an auto in the Konerko line. He signed my daughters Konerko jersey that she wears to the games (she's 4).

On a funny side note, with the person saying that the Buehrle line was insane. Last year, him and Garland were the only 2 'big-name' players out there. He signed my WS ball and my daughter's hat. Took a wonderful picture with her. Class act, he is. This year, it seemed like everyone left from '05 was there. Dye, Konerko, Pods, AJ... Thome was also there. Don't know, but I assume his line was huge.

BainesHOF: So, you finally got a Timo gamer, eh? Wasn't that one of the two players left that you needed?

BainesHOF
09-30-2007, 07:54 PM
BainesHOF: So, you finally got a Timo gamer, eh? Wasn't that one of the two players left that you needed?

I used the Timo bat that I had that was badly cracked. After a repair job with some Elmer's wood glue and a vice, it looks pretty good now, especially with Timo's signature. It's a bat I bought off eBay awhile ago. The buyer said it was a bat that Timo used when he first came to the Sox. That sounds like it could be true as it had his Mets number "6" written on the knob but an "04" factory stamp.

I'm still looking for a Geoff Blum White Sox bat to complete the '05 playoff roster (minus the pitchers). If anyone out there has one, I'm willing to buy or trade for it.

I still need Pablo Ozuna to sign a bat I have of his. Unfortunately, the bat was sitting in the trunk of my car today while I had Pablo sign a ball as he joined the Garland/Broadway line today at the park. Pablo wasn't announced as a signer on the handed-out autograph schedule. Joey Cora was, though, in the Garland/Broadway line, but he was a no-show for the umpteenth time. Ridiculously, Cora's become the toughest autograph on the team. He's a weasel. I still need him on a World Series ball.

Today I first went to the Buehrle line to have him sign a Wheaties box. My girlfriend got my game-used Dye helmet signed. Unfortunately but predictably, he signed it on the side instead of the common brim area. At least the signature looks good and it didn't lose contact with the surface as often happens with Dye's autograph. My girlfriend was sorry to report he was in a foul mood. I've heard in the past he hates signing autographs. It's good to hear someone had luck having him inscribe "WS MVP."

IlliniSox4Life
09-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Baines -
That's a weird but great story about the Timo signing. If his AVG goes up at all next year, I would take full credit for it if I were you.

Brian26
09-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Pablo was indeed there? Wow. I totally missed that.

Did anyone else notice that some fan gave Jon Garland a giftbag? It had Disney characters on it, and it was pretty funny/cute to see him taking it back to the dugout after the signing. Some of the groundscrew was giving him a hard time, but I'd love to know what was in the bag (baked goods? cookies?)

Brian26
09-30-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm still looking for a Geoff Blum White Sox bat to complete the '05 playoff roster (minus the pitchers). If anyone out there has one, I'm willing to buy or trade for it.

I'm sure you've seen it already, but at the last two Garage Sales there has been a Blum bat with the Padres etching in it. Are you looking for a Blum bat w/ White Sox written on it? I always figured he just brought his Padres bats over and never ordered any new ones with the Sox since it was such a short stay.

salty99
09-30-2007, 09:22 PM
I ended up getting Buehrle, Lucy, Logan, Phillips, Myers, Gonzalez and Floyd. Buehrle would not put no hitter on his stuff and I heard Thome wouldn't put anything saying #500HR on his. The Thome line was absolutely insane. I don't see why anyone would wait in such a long line when there is no chance of getting down there.

Domeshot17
09-30-2007, 10:16 PM
I used the Timo bat that I had that was badly cracked. After a repair job with some Elmer's wood glue and a vice, it looks pretty good now, especially with Timo's signature. It's a bat I bought off eBay awhile ago. The buyer said it was a bat that Timo used when he first came to the Sox. That sounds like it could be true as it had his Mets number "6" written on the knob but an "04" factory stamp.

I still need Pablo Ozuna to sign a bat I have of his. Unfortunately, the bat was sitting in the trunk of my car today while I had Pablo sign a ball as he joined the Garland/Broadway line today at the park. Pablo wasn't announced as a signer on the handed-out autograph schedule. Joey Cora was, though, in the Garland/Broadway line, but he was a no-show for the umpteenth time. Ridiculously, Cora's become the toughest autograph on the team. He's a weasel. I still need him on a World Series ball.

Today I first went to the Buehrle line to have him sign a Wheaties box. My girlfriend got my game-used Dye helmet signed. Unfortunately but predictably, he signed it on the side instead of the common brim area. At least the signature looks good and it didn't lose contact with the surface as often happens with Dye's autograph. My girlfriend was sorry to report he was in a foul mood. I've heard in the past he hates signing autographs. It's good to hear someone had luck having him inscribe "WS MVP."

HA that was me that got Dye to sign my poster WS MVP. I think I saw you're helmet, I remember commenting to my future mother in law that you could tell it was real because of the way the ear flap was shaped/missing on one side.

Dye was deff not in a good mood. Fields and Mac were really cool, but with the WS MVP thing, a guy a few infront of me told me to have the Mother in law ask Dye, she would have better luck. He was the only player who did not respond to the thank yous. The other guys like I said were awesome. Especially Broadway. I asked him if he could sign my ball "I threw an awesome game" and he responded "Seriously, if thats what you want". I didnt have him do it, but probably would have made a cool keeper.

Anyone who knows about autographs, I have a question for you. I had heard (and Im not confident on validity just word of mouth) Buehrle has a deal with someone (assuming Steiner) to not inscribe no hitter or the date on any ball for a while basically so people have to buy that through them. It makes sense, but it also could be a bs rumor.

I have to compliment the way today was ran. If they did Sox Fest like this, it would go so much smoother.

TheCommander
09-30-2007, 10:20 PM
I ended up getting Buehrle, Lucy, Logan, Phillips, Myers, Gonzalez and Floyd. Buehrle would not put no hitter on his stuff and I heard Thome wouldn't put anything saying #500HR on his. The Thome line was absolutely insane. I don't see why anyone would wait in such a long line when there is no chance of getting down there.

I got Thome,Floyd,Bukvich,Vazquez,and Kusnyer. Fortunately I was one of the first in the Thome/Floyd line. After that,I got Vaz,etc. as it was the only other line nearby that I had a shot of getting through.

ilsox7
09-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Pablo was indeed there? Wow. I totally missed that.

Did anyone else notice that some fan gave Jon Garland a giftbag? It had Disney characters on it, and it was pretty funny/cute to see him taking it back to the dugout after the signing. Some of the groundscrew was giving him a hard time, but I'd love to know what was in the bag (baked goods? cookies?)

The bag had a map of California and a discount coupon for a surf board in it.

JGarlandrules20
09-30-2007, 10:41 PM
I got Garland/Broadway/Ozuna. I've got like 4 Garland autographs but taking into consideration he might not be back next season and he was right next to where our seats were, I decided to jump in that line. I was soo happy Pablo was there too. I asked him how his leg was and he said "good." I had Lance sign my ticket from the game he started Thursday.

I told Garland I hope he's still here next season and he was like "I hope so too. This guy [Broadway] is stealing my job."
He was also singing before I got up to him, lol. That made my day.

I almost got Thome too because he started signing in the wrong line. That was pretty funny.

Ragator43
10-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Today I first went to the Buehrle line to have him sign a Wheaties box.

Saw a couple of Wheaties boxes get signed yesterday. Had I put a little more thought into it, I would have brought mine. Settled for getting my jersey signed, which was one more than I expected. Be it that it was Buehrle, my day was made.

Coolest item I saw get signed yesterday: A lady a few people behind me had the Sox monopoly board that only needed 3 more signatures. She was finally able to get Buehrle's to bring the number down to 2, but she's still on a mission for Timo and Willie.

salty99
10-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Coolest item I saw get signed yesterday: A lady a few people behind me had the Sox monopoly board that was only needed 3 more signatures. She was finally able to get Buehrle's to bring the number down to 2, but she's still on a mission for Timo and Willie.

wow that's impressive. Timo just did a signing on Sat. in Countryside so she could have had the number down to 1.

Ragator43
10-01-2007, 08:43 AM
The line for Buehrle was insane.

The line for Buehrle was nothing in comparison to whoever was in the next group two sections down the right field line (Thome?). I jumped in line for Mark by the Churro cart around sec 120 and the back end of the line for the next group of players was by 125 or 126 already.

salty99
10-01-2007, 09:59 AM
The line for Buehrle was nothing in comparison to whoever was in the next group two sections down the right field line (Thome?). I jumped in line for Mark by the Churro cart around sec 120 and the back end of the line for the next group of players was by 125 or 126 already.

yup that was Thome's.

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-01-2007, 10:25 AM

Yeah neither one of them could put that on the ball because they both have contracts with Steiner Sports.

salty99
10-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Yeah neither one of them could put that on the ball because they both have contracts with Steiner Sports.

Right. Mark is doing a free public signing at Chicago Ridge Mall tonight from 6-7:30PM , but before that someone from Steiner is flying in to do a private session with him.

Domeshot17
10-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Right. Mark is doing a free public signing at Chicago Ridge Mall tonight from 6-7:30PM , but before that someone from Steiner is flying in to do a private session with him.

Can you check things before you report them. Mark is charging 55 an autograph, its not free. Glad I called before making the drive out there.

dakuda
10-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I managed to get autographs from Jenks and Cintron since he was next to Jenks. It was worth getting there early and waiting in line.

Jenks was very nice.

I was the person right as they cut off the session. I waited in line w/my very patient girlfriend for about 25 minutes. Jenks said he would keep going after the usher told me I was the first person that was going to be denied. Can't argue with that.

I am not really an autograph person, but hell, I waited for a while.

BainesHOF
10-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Unfortunately I can report there was a $55 charge for Buehrle's autograph ($60 when The Athlete's Foot added tax). There were quite a few ticked off people. Many people left as soon as they learned of the charge. Buehrle was scheduled to sign for the public from 6 to 7:30 p.m. I can't imagine he signed for too many paying customers in the second half of the session.

In any case, I decided to pony up the dough since I drove from Naperville and wanted him to sign the no-hitter print that the Sox mailed to season-ticket holders. Rather than lug around the print to the park or Soxfest, I thought it would be best to just have him sign it now. I bought a gold paint pen and Buehrle gave me a great signature on the dark part of the print right between his legs. I think having it signed in gold to match the color scheme and the artsy nature of the print is the way to go. It's going to look sharp in a frame.

salty99
10-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Can you check things before you report them. Mark is charging 55 an autograph, its not free. Glad I called before making the drive out there.

I'm just reporting what csac.biz said, obviously as Baines reported no one knew about the charge.

Domeshot17
10-02-2007, 02:58 AM
I'm just reporting what csac.biz said, obviously as Baines reported no one knew about the charge.

Salty- Didnt mean for that to come out the way it did (complaining). I know you weren't tryin to screw anyone over or anything, shoulda used a better phrase. When I called to find out what store, Chicago Ridge right away told us about the charge because a lot (and they said really a lot) of people were in line for an hour or 2 and flipped when they heard of the cost. Said a few different places qouted it all different.

Sorry again for that. One of those things you see a few hours after you post and hate the way it reads.

BainesHOF
10-02-2007, 10:08 AM
What I don't understand is why The Athlete's Foot would hold an event where it charges people. It's not like it was at a memorabilia show or a card shop. Offhand, I can't recall a regular business holding a signing and charging, much less a rather high $60. I thought a signing was supposed to create good P.R. for the store. This did the opposite.

Ragator43
10-02-2007, 10:32 AM
http://newsblaze.com/story/2007092806201100001.mwir/newsblaze/APPAREL1/Apparel.html

Took a second and googled the event, this exact article came up 3 or 4 times at different sites. No mention of the charge in the ST either. Kind of shady on the part of the business, but at least some people were able to get the heads up before making their way out there.