PDA

View Full Version : AJ signs 2 yr extension

ChiSox14305635
09-29-2007, 04:04 PM
From the Tribune:
Pierzynski agrees to two-year deal The White Sox stabilized their catching Saturday by signing A.J. Pierzynski to a two-year, $12.5 million extension through 2010.
Pierzynski, 30, is hitting .263 with 14 home runs and 50 RBIs in 136 games. He was eligible to become a free agent after the 2008 season.
He will earn $5.85 million in the final year of a three-year contract in 2008. He will earn $6.25 million in 2009 and 2010.
The Sox have five players signed through 2010, as well as options on Jermaine Dye ($12 million) and Mike MacDougal ($3.75 million). Jim Thome has a $13 million option for 2010 that becomes vested if he makes 1,100 plate appearances from 2007-08.

DSpivack
09-29-2007, 04:07 PM
No surprise there. Not like Donny Lucy or whomever is ready to be a starter. Hopefully Toby Hall will be healthy and ready next season.

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2007, 04:13 PM
This is great news, as he's one of my favorite players. He should be the team captain next year, IMHO.

Now, let's get Rowand back!!!

delben91
09-29-2007, 04:15 PM
This is great news, as he's one of my favorite players. He should be the team captain next year, IMHO.

Glad we got the requisite Rowand plug in early in this thread! :cool:

Seriously, great deal for the Sox, locking up the guys that can still play.

Roof Shot
09-29-2007, 04:18 PM
He has been a real work horse this year, I'm glad he's locked up. I hope he can remain healthy with all the work he's gotten.

chisoxmike
09-29-2007, 04:20 PM
:thumbsup:

GlassSox
To me this is great news. AJ is a solid catcher and besides that I just bought an AJ t-shirt.

thomas35forever
Woo! I love it! He plays with more intensity than anyone else on this team, so we can't replace a guy like him. And fanatic, you're right. He should be captain next year. Paulie's a little too quiet of a leader. We need somebody to wake these guys up and tell them they can win a championship.

eriqjaffe
09-29-2007, 04:31 PM
And fanatic, you're right. He should be captain next year. Paulie's a little too quiet of a leader. We need somebody to wake these guys up and tell them they can win a championship.I agree 100%.

LITTLE NELL
09-29-2007, 04:35 PM
I agree 100%.
Captains are for Hockey.

TDog
09-29-2007, 04:37 PM
No surprise there. Not like Donny Lucy or whomever is ready to be a starter. Hopefully Toby Hall will be healthy and ready next season.

You're right, but the Sox could have sought a better catcher (not that they need to do more than replace Hall or that I am advocating the following). I don't know if the Tigers have made an announcement on the future of Ivan Rodriguez. If they buy him out, as some expected they would a couple of months ago when the Tigers were in first place, the Sox could upgrade defensively by signing Rodriguez. By moving Pierzynski to first base and backup catcher and moving Konerko to DH, you would take care of the backup catching situation. The two problems with that are that Pierzynski has never played first base in the majors. Also, you essentially would be trading off Rodriguez for Thome in the starting lineup because there would be no room for Thome. That would only work if Thome were at the heart of a deal to bring the Sox some pitching. But I don't even know if any of that is possible, let alone doable or advisable.

Pierzynski looks good on the Sox and I'm glad to see him extended.

oeo
09-29-2007, 04:42 PM
You're right, but the Sox could have sought a better catcher (not that they need to do more than replace Hall or that I am advocating the following). I don't know if the Tigers have made an announcement on the future of Ivan Rodriguez. If they buy him out, as some expected they would a couple of months ago when the Tigers were in first place, the Sox could upgrade defensively by signing Rodriguez. By moving Pierzynski to first base and backup catcher and moving Konerko to DH, you would take care of the backup catching situation. The two problems with that are that Pierzynski has never played first base in the majors. Also, you essentially would be trading off Rodriguez for Thome in the starting lineup because there would be no room for Thome. That would only work if Thome were at the heart of a deal to bring the Sox some pitching. But I don't even know if any of that is possible, let alone doable or advisable.

I-Roid is old and on the decline. Pass.

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2007, 05:00 PM

Who's on the "Bring back Widger" train??? :cool:

eriqjaffe
09-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Captains are for Hockey.I'm sure Paulie would agree with you.

hose
09-29-2007, 05:09 PM

Don't mess with the Widge.:wink:

TheCommander
09-29-2007, 05:09 PM

Forget Widger,what about Jamie Burke? :redneck

skobabe8
09-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Awesome!

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2007, 05:20 PM
That might not be so good if we sign Torii Hunter! :cool:

Hey, you quoted me in your sig! Kickass!!!

TheCommander
09-29-2007, 05:30 PM
That might not be so good if we sign Torii Hunter! :cool:
Good point! :D:

Hey, you quoted me in your sig! Kickass!!!

I thought it summed up every Sox fan's feelings quite nicely. :smile:

Lorenzo Barcelo
09-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Could Hall still get surgery on his shoulder? Vernon Wells is having surgery on a torn labrum and for some cyst and will still be back on time. Is that possible with Toby?

Frontman
09-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Glad to see MLB's version of Eddie Haskel staying on the Southside.

Frater Perdurabo
09-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Good move. Locking up the core. That's not a bad price for a starting catcher. Now, let's get a leadoff hitter, a SS, a CF and some bullpen help.

Lip Man 1
09-29-2007, 08:24 PM
A.J. is still young (30) and he's got time left as a productive player plus considering what's in the system (can you say zero, nothing...) what choice did the Sox have?

Lip

TDog
09-29-2007, 08:40 PM

Not me. But Hall hasn't been any more effective than Widger was at the end. Of course, this is because of Hall's injury. That's too bad. But the reality is, he has not been a good backup catcher, and I don't see how he will be able to improve through off-season rest alone.

Daver
09-29-2007, 08:50 PM
A.J. is still young (30) and he's got time left as a productive player plus considering what's in the system (can you say zero, nothing...) what choice did the Sox have?

Lip

Donny Lucy is a better catcher than AJ now.

drewcifer
09-29-2007, 08:55 PM

Wow.

the gooch
09-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Hell yeah! Can I get a bat flip tag?

DSpivack
09-29-2007, 09:00 PM

Can he call games and/or hit?

DoItForDanPasqua
09-29-2007, 09:05 PM

I wonder if Barry Lyons is free.

JorgeFabregas
09-29-2007, 09:34 PM
There have been some rumblings that Hall will not be back with the team next year, although I believe he is under contract.

alohafri
09-29-2007, 09:34 PM
We were out with some Cub fan friends of ours tonight when they showed that on the television. The wife said, "Who are they going to sign next, Milton Bradley?"

What I said was, "Yeah, and next is Michael Barrett." What I wanted to say was, and I hope the filter works, "Go **** yourself you ****ing ****! He is twice the catcher than that jackass you have on the north side who couldn't catch a ****ing cold!"

DickAllen72
09-29-2007, 09:35 PM

Amen and Amen.

drewcifer
09-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Amen and Amen.

Amen x3

Brian26
09-29-2007, 09:50 PM
We were out with some Cub fan friends of ours tonight

That's problem #1.

alohafri
09-29-2007, 09:57 PM
That's problem #1.

It wasn't intentional. We went to a place that we were pretty sure they wouldn't be. I guess the only safe place would have been the Cell.

MCHSoxFan
09-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Glad we got the requisite Rowand plug in early in this thread! :cool:

Seriously, great deal for the Sox, locking up the guys that can still play.

YEEEEEESSSS!!! He is bar faaaaaar my FAVORITE White Sox player!!! I am so glad, as you said, that the White Sox are locking up good players.

Brian26
09-29-2007, 10:04 PM
It wasn't intentional. We went to a place that we were pretty sure they wouldn't be.

That's why I have all of my meals delivered to my home in war times like this. It's too dangerous to be seen in public by scrub fans.

:D:

soxinem1
09-29-2007, 10:08 PM

Lip

That basically somes it up.

Plus, As much as I couldn't stand him on MIN, I'd hate to see him in another MLB uniform anytime soon. Those reasons I (and many) didn't like AJ are the same reasons why I'm glad he's here.

Daver
09-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Can he call games and/or hit?

Can he call pitches? Yes.

Can he hit, not so much.

Can he play the position and throw out runners yes.

veeter
09-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Donny Lucy is a better catcher than AJ now.I don't know about that, but they did this because AJ is a fighter, and Toby Hall is really bad.

The Immigrant
09-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Donny Lucy's tears cure cancer.

Frontman
09-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Hell yeah! Can I get a bat flip tag?

:walkoff:

There you go.

delben91
09-29-2007, 10:47 PM

Mark Dalesandro >>>> Jaime Burke

Frontman
09-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Donny Lucy's tears cure cancer.

I thought that was Sandy Alomar Jr's tears?

Man, I get so confused.

soxinem1
09-29-2007, 10:48 PM
I don't know about that, but they did this because AJ is a fighter, and Toby Hall is really bad.

Hall was a good signing. It wasn't his fault he tore up his shoulder playing 1B.

And whoever wants AJ to go play 1B must yearn for the return of the 1988-89 White Sox. As a catcher his offensive output is fine, but he would be one of the least productive 1B in MLB. Plus, I think his fire would be diminished if he didn't catch.

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2007, 10:54 PM
I thought that was Sandy Alomar Jr's tears?

Man, I get so confused.

Meanwhile, all this time, I was thinking it was Mark Johnson's sweat! :cool:

Frontman
09-29-2007, 11:05 PM
Hall was a good signing. It wasn't anyone's fault he tore up his shoulder playing 1B.

Fixed it for you. :wink:

Seriously, I hope Toby gets the surgery, and then we have a problem of too many good catchers. That's the type of problem I'd welcome right about now.

JB98
09-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Good signing. Before AJ, we had a hole at catcher for the previous 10 years. I'm glad we don't have to worry about that position again for awhile.

I'd say Lucy needs another year in the minors, and that he'll be our backup for 2009. Defensively, I think he can play in the majors now, but his bat needs a lot of work.

Hitmen77
09-29-2007, 11:34 PM
As others have already said, this is a good move. A no-brainer for the Sox since they have no one on the horizon in the minors ready to be a starting MLB catcher.

Given that they have already extended Buehrle, Dye, and AJ - this argues to me that the Sox do not see themselves as being short on money to spend on players/looking to cut payroll and that they are not looking to go the "rebuilding" route.

RCWHITESOX
09-30-2007, 12:03 AM
I agree 100%.

I'm with you; this team needs some more fire in it"s leadership besides Ozzie.

oeo
09-30-2007, 12:09 AM
There have been some rumblings that Hall will not be back with the team next year, although I believe he is under contract.

He is. Most people around here like to go with that, "What have you done for me lately?" Which is why they want him shipped out...kind of like how people wanted Cintron to be our starting SS, and now those same people want him out of here because he had a rough year (both on and off the field). All this while ignoring that they're not even close to what they can do.

Toby Hall will be fine...I don't think we're going to find a better backup elsewhere, the guy could actually start on some teams.

PalehosePlanet
09-30-2007, 10:44 AM

Paulie is actually a very good 1st baseman. Why on earth does everyone assume that guys that have never played the position (AJ or Fields or Dye) would do better. I'm stumped by the constant "move PK to DH" ramblings on this board. It makes zero sense.

Jjav829
09-30-2007, 10:54 AM

Pierzynski at first? :?:

That would be an awful move. Pierzynski is a decent offensive catcher. 15 HRs, no walks, a crappy on-base percentage, a sub-par average...you take that from your catcher if you feel he does a good job behind the plate.

However, A.J.'s offensive production at 1B would make him pretty much the worst 1B in baseball.

russ99
09-30-2007, 11:18 AM
That's so awesome. Not only to they lock up A.J. for 2 more years, but it's at pretty cheap rate, considering what he brings to the table.

Now they need to get a reliable backup catcher to spell him a bit more. Hall may still be the guy, but we'll have to see after he has his delayed surgery in the offseason. The dude's been playing all year with a bad arm. If Hall is healthy and can throw and hit, he'll be fine. Hall is signed for another year too.

Now I have to get an A.J. home jersey to replace my Pods third jersey if (when :whiner:) he gets released.

thomas35forever
09-30-2007, 04:19 PM
A.J.'s growing a beard. Think he'll keep it? Personally, I hope he doesn't.

tebman
09-30-2007, 05:20 PM

A.J. is the type of guy who just looking at him you assume he could grow a powerful beard.

chisoxfanatic
09-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Maybe he and Buehrle had a bet when they went bear hunting concerning who could grow the thicker beard. I think Buehrle would win it hands-down.

TDog
09-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Paulie is actually a very good 1st baseman. Why on earth does everyone assume that guys that have never played the position (AJ or Fields or Dye) would do better. I'm stumped by the constant "move PK to DH" ramblings on this board. It makes zero sense.

I prefaced the Pierzynski-at-first by noting that I didn't endorse it. The scenario is the kind of things teams do sometimes -- usually without success (see Fisk in left field). I actually like Konerko at first.

The problem is that Hall was physically unable to serve as a backup catcher this year, and there is no reason to believe he will be able to do the job next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him packaged in a deal that brings a strong defensive catcher who can't hit.

JB98
09-30-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm with you; this team needs some more fire in it"s leadership besides Ozzie.

Is AJ's "leadership" going to become more fiery if he gets designated team captain? Rest assured, if AJ has something to say, he'll say it.

I think this whole discussion about team captains and leadership is foolish. A baseball team doesn't need a captain.

Zisk77
10-01-2007, 02:31 PM
I think we should bring back Bill Naharodney as backup catcher. he had a cool name and was my favorite player for all of 5 minutes.:tongue:

Good move by the Sox. Now find someone to take Jose's salary.

TDog
10-01-2007, 02:45 PM
I think we should bring back Bill Naharodney as backup catcher. he had a cool name and was my favorite player for all of 5 minutes.:tongue:

Good move by the Sox. Now find someone to take Jose's salary.

When I was in college, a friend asked me who the Sox starting catcher was gong to be. When I told him it looked like Bill Naharodny, he was upset. Naharodny looks good, I told him, but my friend didn't care.

He didn't think he could bear to go through a season of Harry Caray saying "Naharodny" about 10 times an inning.

tebman
10-01-2007, 03:17 PM
When I was in college, a friend asked me who the Sox starting catcher was gong to be. When I told him it looked like Bill Naharodny, he was upset. Naharodny looks good, I told him, but my friend didn't care.

He didn't think he could bear to go through a season of Harry Caray saying "Naharodny" about 10 times an inning.
Leaving the ballpark one night after a wild game in 1977, I heard one guy going down the ramp singing "Na-ho-rod-ny, Na-ho-rod-ny, hey hey hey, good-bye..."
:drunken:

palehozenychicty
10-01-2007, 03:19 PM
AJ is the kind of player you need to win titles. Now we need to get some more athleticism on the team to help him out on the field.

chisox77
10-01-2007, 03:21 PM
This is a solid move, and AJ has found a home here.

Remember Marv Foley? Ricky Seilheimer? Joel Skinner? Mark Salas? Jorge Fabregas?

Toby Hall showed a lot of guts just to play at all this year. He should be much healthier next year. Then we'll understand why he was traded for. Hall is a pretty decent catcher who got hurt in spring training while PLAYING OUT OF POSITION. And if AJ should ever get hurt, a healthy Toby Hall is a good insurance plan.

:cool:

DumpJerry
10-01-2007, 03:42 PM
This is a solid move, and AJ has found a home here.

Remember Marv Foley? Ricky Seilheimer? Joel Skinner? Mark Salas? Jorge Fabregas?

Toby Hall showed a lot of guts just to play at all this year. He should be much healthier next year. Then we'll understand why he was traded for. Hall is a pretty decent catcher who got hurt in spring training while PLAYING OUT OF POSITION. And if AJ should ever get hurt, a healthy Toby Hall is a good insurance plan.

:cool:
Hall was a FA signing, IIRC.

AJ knows the pitching staff and how to work with them. That is where his value comes in.

chisox77
10-01-2007, 08:09 PM
You're right - my mistake. Thanks!

Sox
10-01-2007, 10:24 PM
From the Tribune:

That is exciting news. I'm glad AJ will be back with the Pale Hose.:bandance::bandance::bandance: