PDA

View Full Version : More Interesting Ozzie On 08 Comments

Lip Man 1
09-29-2007, 02:43 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070928soxgamer,1,916677.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

Grzegorz
09-29-2007, 05:49 AM
"Guillen also warned that a stronger emphasis will be placed on winning exhibition games."

Ozzie, you're the field manager so you have some control here by playing the regulars deeper into spring training games. Are we seeing a change in philosophy Oz?

"It's about everyone, every scout, every guy in Latin America be part of this," Guillen said. "Because, remember when we won, everyone had a ring. Now we lose, 'It's Ozzie's fault, it's Kenny's fault."

Ozzie, that's the way it goes with the media the fans... If you cannot stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

"It's everybody's fault or everybody's success." Remember that, you win as an organization and you lose as an organization. No one individual stands above the organization.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-29-2007, 10:00 AM
If by "winning exhibition games" Ozzie means holding the ballplayers accountable for doing the little things late in the game (like hit behind the runner, lay down a sacrifice bunt, or go the opposite way on a pitch) then I'm all for it. There is nothing more stupid in this world than the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings of an exhibition ballgame... nearly all these "B team" players aren't going to make the Sox roster regardless of what they do.

If the Sox learn what their players can do to scratch out one extra run in Arizona, that's infinitely more than what they learned in Arizona in the past.

kitekrazy
09-29-2007, 01:27 PM
If by "winning exhibition games" Ozzie means holding the ballplayers accountable for doing the little things late in the game (like hit behind the runner, lay down a sacrifice bunt, or go the opposite way on a pitch) then I'm all for it. There is nothing more stupid in this world than the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings of an exhibition ballgame... nearly all these "B team" players aren't going to make the Sox roster regardless of what they do.

If the Sox learn what their players can do to scratch out one extra run in Arizona, that's infinitely more than what they learned in Arizona in the past.

They are going to have to revamp the roster. I don't think the Sox have anyone capable of hitting behind the runner, laying down a sacrifice bunt, or going the opposite way on a pitch. There a lot of guys that make fans of fantasy leagues happy.

I remember hearing Manuel, Ozzie and even Dusty talk about working on "fundamentals" in Spring training. That has to be the biggest BS to come out of any manager's mouth. At the "professional" level those should come with the player.

Frontman
09-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Ozzie is right though, that is it was the entire organization that failed. If the scouts and the minors aren't producing talent; then there is only so much that Kenny/Ozzie/Coop/Walk can do with the players once they get to the majors.

It IS an all or nothing attitude, (and it should be) when it comes to success and failure. And the fans are the same way. How many of us say "We won it in 2005?" Well, if we use that phrase, tell me when did you see me on the bench/in the field in 2005?

And Ozzie isn't saying he doesn't deserve blame; he's saying there's enough to go around.