PDA

View Full Version : Cubs N.L. Champs

Dread Farmer
09-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Going for the jinx. Wow Brewers suck and their future is over rated. In MLB you must be able to pitch and catch.

WhiteSox5187
09-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Going for the jinx. Wow Brewers suck and their future is over rated. In MLB you must be able to pitch and catch.
Yea...nobody in the NL Central deserves to win this year...I really hope the Cubs are one and done in the playoffs this year, I don't think I could tolerate another year like 2003. The Sox finishing in last (or next to last) and the Cubs winning the division? Boy, this has been some awful year. It also undoes all the ground we made up in 2005. We're right back to where we were in 2003-2004.

thomas35forever
09-28-2007, 11:04 PM
CUBS WIN!!!!!!!!!! CUBS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoxFan78
09-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Way to screw the pooch Brew Crew, let the hype machine begin

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:: angry::angry::angry::angry:

asindc
09-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Yea...nobody in the NL Central deserves to win this year...I really hope the Cubs are one and done in the playoffs this year, I don't think I could tolerate another year like 2003. The Sox finishing in last (or next to last) and the Cubs winning the division? Boy, this has been some awful year. It also undoes all the ground we made up in 2005. We're right back to where we were in 2003-2004.

Let's not overdue it here. 2005, by no means, is "undone" by this year's sorry precedings. Let's just say we have shown them the way, for the scrubs have finally (finally!) realized that winning is the ultimate objective, attendance trophies notwithstanding.

IF they actually win a WS, then we'll talk.:cool:

soxinem1
09-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Congrats to the cubs on winning the division no one wanted, and for the ability to extend their season for six more days.

I can't wait for the free agent filing period and the winter meetings, you know, baseball news I care about.

soxwon
09-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Cubs Clinch, Whoop dee do, i hear fireworks.

voodoochile
09-28-2007, 11:21 PM
:crossdresser
"Me and Dread are the bestest of buds..."

Frontman
09-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Who will be their first round opponents?

Gavin
09-28-2007, 11:25 PM
and scalpers by the hundreds, if not tens of hundreds, rejoice.

Cellview22
09-28-2007, 11:30 PM
I hope some major event or news story of the year occurs in the next day or 2 to wipe the Cubs off the news. :lol: Otherwise, I won't be able to turn on my tv in the next week without :puking:. This upcoming week is going to be torture!

FedEx227
09-28-2007, 11:31 PM
and scalpers by the hundreds, if not tens of hundreds, rejoice.

PLAYOFF BASEBALL FINALLY RETURNS TO CHICAGO!

And to the original poster who said the Brewers future is overrated. Bull****. Their future isn't in the bullpen blowing leads (Cordero, Linebrink, Turnbow). Yeah Braun has been shaky at 3rd, but he's produced more than enough runs that the awful bullpen has ruined.

And why am I hearing fireworks? Is GETTING in the playoffs now considered that giant of a celebration? Why don't we just get a parade going now?

It's Time
09-28-2007, 11:32 PM
Gah! We all saw this happening to the Crew back in July. You just can't win without a pen, good defense and no ability to win on the road. That's why the Cubs won it. They were better in those 3 areas.

The Crew needs a new manager, a new pen and sounder D and they will be around a while.

thomas35forever
09-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Surprisingly, only Channel 9 and CSN have broken into programming. I guess I can enjoy my evening watching network TV. Whoops, as I typed this, Channel 2 broke in. Oh, what a world.

EDIT: Channel 2 going to the Late Show.

TheOldRoman
09-28-2007, 11:39 PM
Let's just say we have shown them the way, for the scrubs have finally (finally!) realized that winning is the ultimate objective, attendance trophies notwithstanding.
They did no such thing. They had a terrible team, and their crosstown competition came out of nowhere to slice into their fanbase and get better TV ratings. Let's not fool ourselves here. The Tribune spent money to a)create hype, and b)improve the team in hopes of increasing its value.
And Hendry's signings have still been stupid. Granted, Ted Lilly came out of nowhere to have his best season ever at age 31, but he is just as likely to repeat that as Dustin Hermanson is to return to the Sox and go two whole years without giving up a run. It was a horrible signing, they just got lucky. They still have him under contract for the next three years. Lilly in 2010 will look like a superstar compared to the 38 year old Alfonso Soriano the Cubs will pay $18 million to in 2014.

TheOldRoman
09-28-2007, 11:50 PM
In case anyone forgot, the all out news coverage the Cubs got tonight didn't go to the Sox when they won the division in 05. I waited until 10 to watch all the Sox stories. They had about a 3 minute segment to start each newscast, and then said "more coverage later in sports".
For the Cubs, on the other hand, every network has a helicopter out tonight, and went to the overhead shots of the clowns celebrating in the streets about every 30 seconds. Each channel put a reporter in a Wrigleyville bar to interview rambling drunken buffoons. The entire news segment on each channel was Cubs coverage. This is the coverage the Sox got when they won the WORLD SERIES.
I promise there will be a story or two a week from now (when their season is over) saying "It doesn't matter that they didn't win a series, this division championship helped Chicago fall in love with baseball again. The Cubs just making it meant far more to Chicago than the Sox winning 10 in a row would." Rick Morrissey, I am looking at you.

asindc
09-28-2007, 11:58 PM
They did no such thing. They had a terrible team, and their crosstown competition came out of nowhere to slice into their fanbase and get better TV ratings. Let's not fool ourselves here. The Tribune spent money to a)create hype, and b)improve the team in hopes of increasing its value.
And Hendry's signings have still been stupid. Granted, Ted Lilly came out of nowhere to have his best season ever at age 31, but he is just as likely to repeat that as Dustin Hermanson is to return to the Sox and go two whole years without giving up a run. It was a horrible signing, they just got lucky. They still have him under contract for the next three years. Lilly in 2010 will look like a superstar compared to the 38 year old Alfonso Soriano the Cubs will pay $18 million to in 2014.

Ok, you make excellent points. But improving the team means wanting it to win, no matter what the motives. Does this mean the Cubune wants to win for winning's sake? Oh, hell no. But they do want to win more now than they have in my lifetime certainly. The Sox 05 championship is directly responsible for that. So I stand by my statement, with a slight amendment: We have shown them that winning is the goal, if not the ultimate objective. The Cubune, and much of their fan base, remain clueless as to why everyone else prioritizes winning the way we do.

JB98
In case anyone forgot, the all out news coverage the Cubs got tonight didn't go to the Sox when they won the division in 05. I waited until 10 to watch all the Sox stories. They had about a 3 minute segment to start each newscast, and then said "more coverage later in sports".
For the Cubs, on the other hand, every network has a helicopter out tonight, and went to the overhead shots of the clowns celebrating in the streets about every 30 seconds. Each channel put a reporter in a Wrigleyville bar to interview rambling drunken buffoons. The entire news segment on each channel was Cubs coverage. This is the coverage the Sox got when they won the WORLD SERIES.
I promise there will be a story or two a week from now (when their season is over) saying "It doesn't matter that they didn't win a series, this division championship helped Chicago fall in love with baseball again. The Cubs just making it meant far more to Chicago than the Sox winning 10 in a row would." Rick Morrissey, I am looking at you.

Classic tirade!

:supernana:

UserNameBlank
And why am I hearing fireworks? Is GETTING in the playoffs now considered that giant of a celebration? Why don't we just get a parade going now?

I hear fireworks when the :gulp: :redneck's down the street celebrate a Cubs victory in the Crosstown Abortion. It's funny though because I didn't hear fireworks when the Bears won a SuperBowl trip or when the Bulls swept the Heat last year.

Dread Farmer
I hope some major event or news story of the year occurs in the next day or 2 to wipe the Cubs off the news. :lol: Otherwise, I won't be able to turn on my tv in the next week without :puking:. This upcoming week is going to be torture!

That is a flat out sick mind.:mad:

Noneck
09-29-2007, 12:02 AM
They still have him under contract for the next three years. Lilly in 2010 will look like a superstar compared to the 38 year old Alfonso Soriano the Cubs will pay $18 million to in 2014.

You are probably correct but it doesn't matter when that time comes, they will just put some salt and pepper on the contracts, have a little snack, print some more money and buy some more.

thomas35forever
09-29-2007, 12:02 AM
And Hendry's signings have still been stupid. Granted, Ted Lilly came out of nowhere to have his best season ever at age 31, but he is just as likely to repeat that as Dustin Hermanson is to return to the Sox and go two whole years without giving up a run. It was a horrible signing, they just got lucky.
Don't take offense to this, but that sounds like how Cubs fans felt after we won in '05. Things like we got lucky and ****.

Dread Farmer
09-29-2007, 12:03 AM

I agree thank God mlb will finally have a salary cap by then so the $ matters.

TheOldRoman
09-29-2007, 12:06 AM
I hope some major event or news story of the year occurs in the next day or 2 to wipe the Cubs off the news. :lol: Otherwise, I won't be able to turn on my tv in the next week without :puking:. This upcoming week is going to be torture!Week is the optimal word. Hang in there, it will just about exactly one week. Then you will have to listen to Cubs fans tell you all offseason "if we would have gotten the breaks in the playoffs the Sox did or cheated like them, we would have won too. We actually had to play good teams.":rolleyes:

UserNameBlank
09-29-2007, 12:06 AM
It doesn't matter anyway.

If a giant UFO landed in the middle of Michigan Avenue and aliens stepped out along with Elvis, 2Pac, and JFK, that story would take a backseat to the latest poorly produced sob story about Loveable Loser Hero Ronnie Woo-Woo and his desire to see the Cubs win it all.

ilsox7
09-29-2007, 12:07 AM
Congratulations to the Cubs. The best team in the NLC won the division. I think the NL Champion will come out of the NLW.

thomas35forever
09-29-2007, 12:09 AM
From North Side Baseball:

Hey, congrats from the Brewers board:

Brewcrewin07 wrote:Congrats to the Cubs on backing your way into the playoffs and on buying a Central Division Championship. Enjoy your very short stay in the post season Cubs fans.

Thanks!

getonbckthr
09-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Congrats Cubs. Now go get Chicago another title, its been like almost 2 years.

TheOldRoman
09-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Don't take offense to this, but that sounds like how Cubs fans felt after we won in '05. Things like we got lucky and ****.I don't think anyone who knows anything about baseball (obviously not including Cubs fans here) would tell you Ted Lilly is at all better than average. Even with the switch to the NL, he still overperformed. I was merely saying that the contract was horrible, regardless of the kind of year he stumbled into.
That being said, you can't blame Lilly. Every year, on most division champs, and every WS winner, players come out of nowhere. Most have a rookie call-up catch fire and play a huge part. Pretty much all of them have a journey man or two put up the best numbers of his career. I don't think anyone would have predicted Hermanson or Politte having the years they did. The differences are 1) the Sox didn't back into the playoffs with 84 wins, and 2)the Sox didn't invest $40 million into Hermanson and Politte.

FedEx227
09-29-2007, 12:16 AM
Congrats Cubs. Now go get Chicago another title, its been like almost 2 years.

:?::?:

Uh, what?

Hitmen77
09-29-2007, 12:16 AM
Whoa! First of all, can a mod please fix the title of this thread. Unless the Cubs have earned a bye through the NLDS and the NLCS, the Cubs are NOT the N.L. champs.

Let's not get carried away here. I don't agree that we're right back where we were in 2003-04. We've lost ground in this town this season, but we're still light years ahead of where we were those days.

Most of the harm done to our post-2005 status is the Sox own doing and not because of the Cubs. Not that I'm happy that those clowns got in with only 84 wins...and I agree that I don't want to go through another 2003. But I would say the Sox have no one to blame for themselves for losing momentum in Chicago because of their crappy play.

Gremlin3
09-29-2007, 12:19 AM

You apparently cared enough to watch it. Personally I've enjoed the recordings I have on my dvr tonight.

Viva Medias B's
09-29-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm glad I was at the Marist football game when all this went on. The scores of the Cubs, Brewers, and of course our own beloved were announced over the PA during the game. I think announcements of the White Sox winning got the most applause.

itsnotrequired
09-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Whoa! First of all, can a mod please fix the title of this thread. Unless the Cubs have earned a bye through the NLDS and the NLCS, the Cubs are NOT the N.L. champs.

First round bye? Even the Cubs defy the laws of the land...

TheOldRoman
09-29-2007, 12:21 AM
It doesn't matter anyway.

If a giant UFO landed in the middle of Michigan Avenue and aliens stepped out along with Elvis, 2Pac, and JFK, that story would take a backseat to the latest poorly produced sob story about Loveable Loser Hero Ronnie Woo-Woo and his desire to see the Cubs win it all.I found it heartwarming to watch imbecile Ron Santo stumbling about the clubhouse with a beer in hand. I mean, the guy has had diabetes since he was a teenager, and he became an alcoholic, which is about the worst thing one could do in that predicament. He had both legs amputated because of it. Have another beer, Ron. Heartwarming.

Either way, I am expecting one of these channels to start an impromptu Ron Santo reality show this week. There are going to be a lot of stories on his life and how much the Cubs predestined championship will mean to him.

FedEx227
09-29-2007, 12:22 AM
And if I hear one more reference to last years Cardinals I might vomit.

You know why that team won 83 games and suddenly went nuts in the playoffs?

Albert Pujols missed 19 regular season games
Scott Rolen missed 20 regular season games
David Eckstein missed 39 regular season games
Jim Edmonds missed 52 regular season games.

That wasn't a 83 win team when healthy. It was an 83 win team when John Rodriquez and Scott Spiezio played in 100+ regular season games. Rodriquez and Spiezio went on to have a combined 32 at-bats the rest of the playoffs. (Pujols 52, Rolen 51, Eckstein 63, Edmonds 52)

kevingrt
09-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Well what happened two years after they made the playoffs the last time. Yes. Lets make sure it happens again. A year later would work for me though.

Brian26
09-29-2007, 12:23 AM
It also undoes all the ground we made up in 2005. We're right back to where we were in 2003-2004.

I hate this way of thinking.

ilsox7
09-29-2007, 12:23 AM

I wouldn't label it as thinking.

champagne030
09-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Don't take offense to this, but that sounds like how Cubs fans felt after we won in '05. Things like we got lucky and ****.

It's hard to luck into 99 wins during the regular season. It isn't hard to back into a division championship in the NL Cental....Heck, the Brewers almost did. Roman is right, in that Lilly isn't good, and if the flubs played a whole season in our division they would be fighting us and the Royals for 4th place.

Brian26
09-29-2007, 12:25 AM
I wouldn't label it as thinking.

True enough.

itsnotrequired
09-29-2007, 12:25 AM

i hate the white sox and anyone who ever played for them

:happybday

asindc
09-29-2007, 12:26 AM

See mine and Hitmen77's previous responses to it.

Brian26
09-29-2007, 12:26 AM
i hate the white sox and anyone who ever played for them

:happybday

Even Esteban Beltre, Ralph Garr, and Claudell Washington?

You're a hater.

Brian26
09-29-2007, 12:29 AM
Classic tirade!

:supernana:

LOL.

TheOldRoman
09-29-2007, 12:29 AM
You apparently cared enough to watch it. Personally I've enjoed the recordings I have on my dvr tonight.I turned on the news, and it happened about a minute later. I found it mildly entertaining (and slightly infuriating, also) watching the networks fall all over themselves to convince the viewers the Cubs already won the World Series.
After segwaying a live feed that wasn't ready, Cheryl Burton said something along the lines of "We are still working out the kinks. It is since 2003, we haven't done this in a while in Chicago." No, you haven't, stooge, because your network gave almost no coverage to the Sox when they won the division.
Mark Giangrecco was in all his glory. He was waxing poetically about how the Cubs fans were so great, chanting "Go Cubs Go" as they were kicked out of the stadium after the game. He remarked that Reds fans were furious about the way Cubs fans invaded their park and their "disgusting" behavior. But Mark had to reassure us "that is just not the case, these are great fans here. They love their team so much they followed them to Cincinnati to cheer them on.":rolleyes: I turned it off at 10:30.

spiffie
09-29-2007, 12:30 AM
I don't think anyone who knows anything about baseball (obviously not including Cubs fans here) would tell you Ted Lilly is at all better than average. Even with the switch to the NL, he still overperformed. I was merely saying that the contract was horrible, regardless of the kind of year he stumbled into.
That being said, you can't blame Lilly. Every year, on most division champs, and every WS winner, players come out of nowhere. Most have a rookie call-up catch fire and play a huge part. Pretty much all of them have a journey man or two put up the best numbers of his career. I don't think anyone would have predicted Hermanson or Politte having the years they did. The differences are 1) the Sox didn't back into the playoffs with 84 wins, and 2)the Sox didn't invest $40 million into Hermanson and Politte.
This is not out of nowhere or a career year for Ted Lilly. He has been inconsistent over the last 5 years, but look at him from 2002-2007:

2002 - 3.69 120 ERA+ (lg avg 4.44)
2003 - 4.34 98 ERA+ (lg avg 4.26)
2004 - 4.06 120 ERA+ (lg avg 4.87)
2005 - 5.56 80 ERA+ (lg avg 4.45)
2006 - 4.31 109 ERA+ (lg avg 4.70)
2007 - 3.86 118 ERA+ (lg avg 4.57)

For a point of comparison, ERA+ from 2002-2007 for Javy Vazquez:
2002 - 106
2003 - 154
2004 - 92
2005 - 99
2006 - 96
2007 - 122

Does the great year Javy had in 2003 make the time/money we locked him in for that much better of an investment?

eriqjaffe
09-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Week is the optimal word. Hang in there, it will just about exactly one week. Then you will have to listen to Cubs fans tell you all offseason "if we would have gotten the breaks in the playoffs the Sox did or cheated like them, we would have won too. We actually had to play good teams.":rolleyes:I actually find myself hoping the Cubs lose the NLDS for purely selfish reasons...my wife is doing an art show in Wicker Park during what would be games 2 & 3 of the NLCS (with setup being on the day of game 1), and I don't want her to have to fight through the hellish traffic that it would cause.

TheOldRoman
09-29-2007, 12:35 AM
This is not out of nowhere or a career year for Ted Lilly. He has been inconsistent over the last 5 years, but look at him from 2002-2007:

2002 - 3.69 120 ERA+ (lg avg 4.44)
2003 - 4.34 98 ERA+ (lg avg 4.26)
2004 - 4.06 120 ERA+ (lg avg 4.87)
2005 - 5.56 80 ERA+ (lg avg 4.45)
2006 - 4.31 109 ERA+ (lg avg 4.70)
2007 - 3.86 118 ERA+ (lg avg 4.57)

For a point of comparison, ERA+ from 2002-2007 for Javy Vazquez:
2002 - 106
2003 - 154
2004 - 92
2005 - 99
2006 - 96
2007 - 122

Does the great year Javy had in 2003 make the time/money we locked him in for that much better of an investment?Are you using meaningful stats? Is ERA+ supposed to be high or low? I'm not being a smartass here, but you could have used a better stat for comparison.

Noneck
09-29-2007, 12:38 AM
Could someone please change title of this thread to N.L. CENTRAL Champs.

mccoydp
09-29-2007, 12:38 AM
The Cubs? **** 'em. Woo Woo!

TheOldRoman
09-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Rodriquez and Spiezio went on to have a combined 32 at-bats the rest of the playoffs. (Pujols 52, Rolen 51, Eckstein 63, Edmonds 52)That is surprising, I thought I remembered Spezio playing a huge part in the first two rounds.

FedEx227
09-29-2007, 12:44 AM
That is surprising, I thought I remembered Spezio playing a huge part in the first two rounds.

LDS vs. SD
.200/.200/.400, 5 ABs

LCS vs. NYM
.235/.316/.529, 17 ABs, 2 triples (that was huge/ridiculous), 4 RBIs, 5 strikeouts

WS vs. DET
0-4

Sure doesn't seem like an integral part of the team to me.

GoSox2K3
09-29-2007, 12:52 AM

Could someone please change title of this thread to N.L. CENTRAL Champs.

Agreed! What are we, the real Tribune here?

UserNameBlank
09-29-2007, 12:52 AM
Does the great year Javy had in 2003 make the time/money we locked him in for that much better of an investment?
No, but Javy is twice the pitcher Lilly is. He has better stuff, pitches deeper into ballgames, works more innings, pitches in a tougher ballpark in a tougher league, and still gets better results. Javy has improved on HR allowed since last year and during the second half of '06 he may have finally turned the corner thanks to physical adjustments on the mound.

Lilly wishes his jockstrap had the same amount of manly pungency that Javy's does.

Gavin
09-29-2007, 01:04 AM
congrats to the Cubs and all that but for those of us living in the North Side I think the weekend of late night Fallout Boy and Bags that are in order for these scrubs fans it's clear it will only get worse.

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2007, 01:08 AM
Unless they win the World Series, it does NOTHING!

Gah! They're partying in the streets of Wrigleyville over being the tallest midget??? Winning a division is one thing; winning a WORLD SERIES is something completely different! We all know this concept. Fortunately, Cub fans won't ever understand this.

GoSox2K3
09-29-2007, 01:08 AM
It's hard to luck into 99 wins during the regular season. It isn't hard to back into a division championship in the NL Cental....Heck, the Brewers almost did. Roman is right, in that Lilly isn't good, and if the flubs played a whole season in our division they would be fighting us and the Royals for 4th place.

Since 1990, the White Sox have won more than 84 games a total of ten times and only have 3 postseason berths (94, 95 and 99 win seasons) to show for it. Among the seasons we missed the playoffs were a 94 win and a 90 win season.

In the same time period, the Cubs have zero seasons where they finished their 162 game schedule with at least 90 wins and they too now have 3 playoff berths to show for it.

No way in hell are the Sox "lucky" like the Cubs are.

spiffie
09-29-2007, 01:34 AM
Are you using meaningful stats? Is ERA+ supposed to be high or low? I'm not being a smartass here, but you could have used a better stat for comparison.
All ERA+ is is a shorthand way of showing how a pitcher's ERA compares to the league average. The higher the number the better. I like it because to me if a guy has a 3.00 ERA that sounds great, unless you hear the average ERA was 2.50.

So basically over the last six years they've been pretty damn even.

spiffie
09-29-2007, 01:39 AM
No, but Javy is twice the pitcher Lilly is. He has better stuff, pitches deeper into ballgames, works more innings, pitches in a tougher ballpark in a tougher league, and still gets better results. Javy has improved on HR allowed since last year and during the second half of '06 he may have finally turned the corner thanks to physical adjustments on the mound.

Lilly wishes his jockstrap had the same amount of manly pungency that Javy's does.
Thank you for one of the most disturbing images I've had to contemplate for a while.

SBSoxFan
09-29-2007, 06:02 AM
All ERA+ is is a shorthand way of showing how a pitcher's ERA compares to the league average. The higher the number the better. I like it because to me if a guy has a 3.00 ERA that sounds great, unless you hear the average ERA was 2.50.

So basically over the last six years they've been pretty damn even.

To indicate being better than the league average, shouldn't the metric be designed so that a lower number is better? :dunno:

Anyway, looking back, I think Lilly was a good signing. He was a 500 pitcher in the AL East. Look what that'll get you in the NL, especially the NL Central!

RadioheadRocks
09-29-2007, 06:12 AM
...Mark Giangrecco was in all his glory. He was waxing poetically about how the Cubs fans were so great, chanting "Go Cubs Go" as they were kicked out of the stadium after the game. He remarked that Reds fans were furious about the way Cubs fans invaded their park and their "disgusting" behavior. But Mark had to reassure us "that is just not the case, these are great fans here. They love their team so much they followed them to Cincinnati to cheer them on.":rolleyes: I turned it off at 10:30.

Giangreco is a
:dumbass:,
that's been pretty well established.

TomBradley72
09-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Recent White Sox teams with >/= 85 wins:

Recent Cub teams with >/= 85 wins:

2007 (maybe)

alohafri
09-29-2007, 08:44 AM

Why? He didn't say disaster, just a big news story. However, if we were to get peace in Iraq, it would still be second to those idiots.

twentywontowin
09-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Mark Giangrecco was in all his glory. He was waxing poetically about how the Cubs fans were so great, chanting "Go Cubs Go" as they were kicked out of the stadium after the game. He remarked that Reds fans were furious about the way Cubs fans invaded their park and their "disgusting" behavior. But Mark had to reassure us "that is just not the case, these are great fans here. They love their team so much they followed them to Cincinnati to cheer them on.":rolleyes: I turned it off at 10:30.

Everyone needs to remember that Mark Giangreco was the one who broke the story in 1999 that Walter Payton was looking ill and it had to be because of a drug problem. No, Mark, it was just a little bit of terminal cancer.

He lost all of my respect after that.

southside rocks
09-29-2007, 08:58 AM

My cable went out last night ... it's supposed to be fixed on Sunday, but I might wait on that now. I'm going to the Sox games tonight and tomorrow, so I won't miss the stuff that I do care about. :D:

DrCrawdad
09-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Have there been any reports of crime(s) last night after the big celebration?

FedEx227
09-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Have there been any reports of crime(s) last night after the big celebration?

Absolutely not. I'm sure there were some on that sick and disgusting South side ghetto though.

soxinem1
09-29-2007, 09:56 AM
I found it heartwarming to watch imbecile Ron Santo stumbling about the clubhouse with a beer in hand. I mean, the guy has had diabetes since he was a teenager, and he became an alcoholic, which is about the worst thing one could do in that predicament. He had both legs amputated because of it. Have another beer, Ron. Heartwarming.

Either way, I am expecting one of these channels to start an impromptu Ron Santo reality show this week. There are going to be a lot of stories on his life and how much the Cubs predestined championship will mean to him.

I saw this too. I also thought I saw his ridiculous rug slip too!

I hope he gets totally ****faced on Elimination Day.

Fenway
09-29-2007, 10:07 AM
from newseum.org

Tribune full of itself
http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=IL_CT&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1 (http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=IL_CT&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1)
Sun-Times just wants to sell papers
http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=IL_CST&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1 (http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=IL_CST&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1)
Daily Herald
http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=IL_DH&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1 (http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=IL_DH&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1)

TornLabrum
09-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Everyone needs to remember that Mark Giangreco was the one who broke the story in 1999 that Walter Payton was looking ill and it had to be because of a drug problem. No, Mark, it was just a little bit of terminal cancer.

He lost all of my respect after that.

Actually Giangreco quoted Payton as saying that he'd lost weight because of his running. Giangreco never implied drug use.

Hitmen77
09-29-2007, 10:29 AM
from newseum.org

Tribune full of itself
http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=IL_CT&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1 (http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=IL_CT&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1)
Sun-Times just wants to sell papers
http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=IL_CST&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1 (http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=IL_CST&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1)
Daily Herald
http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=IL_DH&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1 (http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=IL_DH&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1)

I wonder how that compares to the headlines from when the 99 win Sox clinched the AL Central in '05? By the way, if I'm not mistaken, one of the guys in the Herald's picture is wearing a Sox shirt (with the away "Chicago" script).

LITTLE NELL
09-29-2007, 10:46 AM

2006Recent Cub teams with >/= 85 wins:

2007 (maybe)
Ive been a Sox fan since 1952, in that time the Sox have won 90plus games 14 times and it would have been 15 if not for the 94 strike. Cubs:90 plus wins 4 times, how pathetic is that. This year the Cubs are tied for the 6th best record in the lousy NL. They would be in 3rd place in any other division in MLB. This team and franchise is a joke and their fans are clowns and have no clue about baseball.

October26
09-29-2007, 10:49 AM
For those asking about the fireworks on this thread - last night and tonight are "Fireworks display after the game nights" at the US Cellular Field.

Regarding the Flubs and their National Leauge Central Division Championship > :puking::puking::puking:

white sox bill
09-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Remember back in Spring, Lou was quoted "We will be playing in October" We made fun of him saying "Yea golf that is" Well Lou was right as much as I hate to say it.

My hats off to them, Lilly,Marqouis,Alfonso,Lou all paid off for them substandard division and all.

twentywontowin
09-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Actually Giangreco quoted Payton as saying that he'd lost weight because of his running. Giangreco never implied drug use.

Giangreco did bring up the drug use possibility. I remember seeing it on his Beyond The Glory episode for Payton. Giangreco broke down into tears during his segment because he screwed up and Walter still forgave him because he didn't know better.

I forget if he ever went fully public with the accusation, but it definitely was there because Giangreco sure did get choked up over it.

jenn2080
09-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Remember back in Spring, Lou was quoted "We will be playing in October" We made fun of him saying "Yea golf that is" Well Lou was right as much as I hate to say it.

My hats off to them, Lilly,Marqouis,Alfonso,Lou all paid off for them substandard division and all.

Yeah what you said. It doesnt matter how they got in, they did.

asindc
09-29-2007, 11:02 AM
I wonder how that compares to the headlines from when the 99 win Sox clinched the AL Central in '05? By the way, if I'm not mistaken, one of the guys in the Herald's picture is wearing a Sox shirt (with the away "Chicago" script).

Well, we can contrast the coverage in Chicago with the coverage in the Wash. Post today. Barely a mention of the Cubs and Red Sox on the front page of the sports section. It's all about Gil Arenas' rehab from knee surgery.

Yeah, this year's Cubs team is not much better than most recent editions, but they did win their division. However, wake me IF they make the WS.

Fenway
09-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Yeah what you said. It doesnt matter how they got in, they did.

Sadly the White Sox are a big reason the Cubs made it. ( just winning 1 of 6 from them )

The Cubs will not make the Series but may advance to the NLCS. They can beat Arizona but right now Philadelphia looks like the team to beat.

SOXBOY
09-29-2007, 11:22 AM
My Father-In-Law sums it up best: At least the Cubs got into the playoffs, thats extra games to play. I told him they will not win the WS and he said "Who cares, they made the playoffs".

October26
09-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Well, we can contrast the coverage in Chicago with the coverage in the Wash. Post today. Barely a mention of the Cubs and Red Sox on the front page of the sports section. It's all about Gil Arenas' rehab from knee surgery.

Yeah, this year's Cubs team is not much better than most recent editions, but they did win their division. However, wake me IF they make the WS.

Be happy you are in Washington, DC right now. I am happiest when I am in Bridgeport, at nearby US Cellular Field attending games with Sox fans and celebrating our team - especially when we win. Since our season is coming to an end tomorrow, it will be all flubs - all the time - for those of us in the Chicago area. - until the flubs are eliminated from the playoffs. I will be visiting WSI for my daily therapy and to feel some Sox love - because there will be no Sox news until the flubs are done.

Domeshot17
09-29-2007, 11:27 AM
You know I like him a lot less since he took over, but give Pinella credit. He had a team playing terrible, he said we need more defense we need a spark, he replaced his opening day SS with the kid who shoulda been starting all along. He had the smarts to see Soriano was a butcher in center and moved him back. He made use of kids like Marmol when old farts like Eyre were blowing game after game. The cubs don't win this with dusty managing.

spiffie
09-29-2007, 12:02 PM
You know what the scariest part of all this is? Considering how much the team changed from last year to this year, and how many moves were made, is there any way you can not give Jim Hendry the NL Exec. of the Year award? He brought in the right manager, signed two pitchers who stabilized the pitching staff, and brought in a huge power source. Perhaps most importantly, he changed the team from one depending on Wood/Prior to one where Wood is a middle reliever and Prior is an afterthought.

Hitmen77
09-29-2007, 12:05 PM

2006Recent Cub teams with >/= 85 wins:

2007 (maybe)

...and that '94 Sox team would have easily made 85 wins too (and probably would have ended up with about 95 wins).:angry:

Plus - this is one of the reasons why I hate the unbalanced schedule - how many of the Cubs 84 wins were racked up because they get to play Cincy, Pitts, Mil, Hou, and the Cards - all awful teams - 18 times each? (and yes, I wasn't a fan of the unbalanced schedule in 2005 either, but the Sox didn't have 5 bad teams in their division)

Hitmen77
09-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Ive been a Sox fan since 1952, in that time the Sox have won 90plus games 14 times and it would have been 15 if not for the 94 strike. Cubs:90 plus wins 4 times, how pathetic is that. This year the Cubs are tied for the 6th best record in the lousy NL. They would be in 3rd place in any other division in MLB. This team and franchise is a joke and their fans are clowns and have no clue about baseball.

..and in one of those 4 times ('98), they needed a 163rd game to reach 90 wins (just ask Hangar18:wink:).

The worst part is that the Sox have been stiffed several times in the past by not making the playoffs despite getting at least 90 wins (or it's equivalent in a strike shortened season) - those are '72, '77, '90, '94, and 2006. They have never made the playoffs with less than 90 wins.

For the Cubs, they haven't missed the playoffs with 90 wins since 1969. This is their 3rd playoff appearance in a row after finishing their regular schedule with less than 90 wins.

russ99
09-29-2007, 12:14 PM
...and that '94 Sox team would have easily made 85 wins too (and probably would have ended up with about 95 wins).:angry:

Plus - this is one of the reasons why I hate the unbalanced schedule - how many of the Cubs 84 wins were racked up because they get to play Cincy, Pitts, Mil, Hou, and the Cards - all awful teams - 18 times each? (and yes, I wasn't a fan of the unbalanced schedule in 2005 either, but the Sox didn't have 5 bad teams in their division)

Plus the Cubs won their division with the worst record of any qualifier playing those awful teams.

I don't expect them to get far, especially considering how inconsistant their pitching is and how awful they've played the last few weeks.

thomas35forever
09-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Sadly the White Sox are a big reason the Cubs made it. ( just winning 1 of 6 from them )

The Cubs will not make the Series but may advance to the NLCS. They can beat Arizona but right now Philadelphia looks like the team to beat.
:rowand:iguchi:
"Don't worry, Sox fans. We'll take care of those North Siders. We want to make sure who the true world champions are in this town."

chaerulez
09-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Plus the Cubs won their division with the worst record of any qualifier playing those awful teams.

I don't expect them to get far, especially considering how inconsistant their pitching is and how awful they've played the last few weeks.

By my count the Cubs are 15-11 in September. I wouldn't consider that great by any means, but it's nowhere near awful.

Frontman
09-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Giangreco did bring up the drug use possibility. I remember seeing it on his Beyond The Glory episode for Payton. Giangreco broke down into tears during his segment because he screwed up and Walter still forgave him because he didn't know better.

I forget if he ever went fully public with the accusation, but it definitely was there because Giangreco sure did get choked up over it.

I can second this. I remember the day/night that Walter passed rather vividly. Mark was on the 10 o'clock news and broke down during the broadcast when talking about that screw up; saying "He forgave me; and I really didn't deserve to be forgiven."

Frontman
09-29-2007, 04:47 PM
And the stupidity of the Flubbie love starts....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-070930rally-story,0,3939106.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-070930rally-story,0,3939106.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout)

They are actually throwing a rally for them just making it into the playoffs......

:rolleyes:
:roflmao:
:chunks

ilsox7
09-29-2007, 05:18 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-070930rally-story,0,3939106.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-070930rally-story,0,3939106.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout)

They are actually throwing a rally for them just making it into the playoffs......

I believe the same exact thing was done for the Sox.

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2007, 05:19 PM

Uhhh, ALL teams put on Pre-Playoff rallies. The Sox did it at Block 37 two years ago on Rally Monday.

ilsox7
09-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Uhhh, ALL teams put on Pre-Playoff rallies. The Sox did it at Block 37 two years ago on Rally Monday.

Yea, that's the thing I was thinking of. But why let facts get in the way of a good rant against the Cubs?

So far we have people saying that the Cubs don't deserve to be in the playoffs b/c of their record, misstating that the Cubs have been awful in September, laughing at fans celebrating a playoff appearance, etc. This place is high comedy.

chisoxmike
09-29-2007, 05:28 PM

All teams have a Rally Monday. The Sox had one in '05. This has been going on for years now.

I hate the Cubs and their fans too, but I can't give any hate on this. :redneck

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2007, 05:57 PM
I hate the Cubs and their fans too, but I can't give any hate on this. :redneck
But, we CAN hate on the fact that Mayor Daley put on a Cubs hat when he announced the details about the rally and said that he hopes they get to the World Series, because it would be "good for the city" blah blah blah!!!

chisoxmike
09-29-2007, 06:01 PM
But, we CAN hate on the fact that Mayor Daley put on a Cubs hat when he announced the details about the rally and said that he hopes they get to the World Series, because it would be "good for the city" blah blah blah!!!

Eh, he's the mayor, he has to wear one. He wore one in '03, you know it kills him to be wearing one. We all know where his loyalty is.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:18hJ4_ITPGxRVM:http://www.sharkforum.org/pridepics/mayor.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sharkforum.org/pridepics/mayor.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sharkforum.org/archives/2005/12/&h=386&w=300&sz=81&hl=en&start=10&tbnid=18hJ4_ITPGxRVM:&tbnh=123&tbnw=96&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmayor%2Bdaley%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10% 26hl%3Den)

Noneck
09-29-2007, 06:01 PM

I still haven't forgotten or forgave him for wearing their cap in 03. And look at him as just an opportunist, nothing more. You DON'T have to put on the cap, even if you are Mayor.

eriqjaffe
09-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Eh, he's the mayor, he has to wear one. He wore one in '03. We all know where his loyalty is.And it is good for the city, in that it generates revenue. Enough $7 Old Styles may just bail out the CTA!

chisoxmike
09-29-2007, 06:07 PM
And it is good for the city, in that it generates revenue. Enough $7 Old Styles may just bail out the CTA!

No comment.

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2007, 06:24 PM
And it is good for the city, in that it generates revenue. Enough $7 Old Styles may just bail out the CTA!
Bail out the CTA???? That pipe dream will be more than offset by the damages caused by Cub fans if they actually DO make it!

MarySwiss
09-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Bail out the CTA???? That pipe dream will be more than offset by the damages caused by Cub fans if they actually DO make it!

You raise an interesting point. Of course, we'll never know because there is no way they'll ever win the whole thing, but IF THEY DID....

I wonder if Cubs fans would show the kind of class that the trailer-trash, lowlife Sox fans did in 2005?

Frontman
09-29-2007, 06:55 PM

Did we all run down to the front of US Cellular Field when they clinched, stand around and celebrate?

No. The Sox fanbase got ready for the playoffs.

I stand corrected on the Rally Monday, but its still BS. (Had I known about the Sox rally, I would of called that BS as well.)

All they did was make the playoffs. I've seen both teams do that a few times in my lifetime. I've only seen one League Championship and one World Series championship in my lifetime. That's more impressive (and real reasons to celebrate) than being in the playoffs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/sports/2001/11/25/mora_7116.jpg
Playoffs? Playoffs?!?!?! Are you kidding me?

JermaineDye05
09-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Well this is an interesting little mistake on WGN they have a thing on from 6-7 called 'Cubs Special'. The description of this however says, 'A recap of the Cubs' 2005 season' :?:. Perhaps the media wants to make it seem like the Cubs broke the drought in chicago and brought a World Championship back :rolleyes:.

Frontman
09-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Well this is an interesting little mistake on WGN they have a thing on from 6-7 called 'Cubs Special'. The description of this however says, 'A recap of the Cubs' 2005 season' :?:. Perhaps the media wants to make it seem like the Cubs broke the drought in chicago and brought a World Championship back :rolleyes:.

Well, the Tribune is notorious for re-writing history.

ilsox7
09-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Did we all run down to the front of US Cellular Field when they clinched, stand around and celebrate?

I stand corrected on the Rally Monday, but its still BS. (Had I known about the Sox rally, I would of called that BS as well.)

All they did was make the playoffs. I've seen both teams do that a few times in my lifetime. I've only seen one League Championship and one World Series championship in my lifetime. That's more impressive (and real reasons to celebrate) than being in the playoffs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/sports/2001/11/25/mora_7116.jpg
Playoffs? Playoffs?!?!?! Are you kidding me?

Give me a break. This is the type of bull**** that makes Sox fans look awful. Get over the jealousy of the Cubs going to the playoffs this year.

Here is the gamethread from when the Sox won the division: Link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58550&highlight=2005+central+division+champions)

Here is the post-gamethread with people going crazy: Link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58570&highlight=2005+central+division+champions)

I could also post threads where people waxed poetic about what they would wear to game one of the ALDS.

I remember stories of people going out to celebrate. Of people who went to Detroit to see the clincher and celebrating there. To pretend that Sox fans somehow were ho-hum about winning the division is absolutely ridiculous. Some people really need to face up to the reality that the world does not revolve around the White Sox.

The ironic thing is, back in 2005, so many people around here complained about how their Cub fan friends showed no respect for the Sox. It pissed people off to no end. And now, when the shoe is on the other foot, how are those same people acting? The same exact way.

Frontman
09-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Give me a break. This is the type of bull**** that makes Sox fans look awful. Get over the jealousy of the Cubs going to the playoffs this year.

Here is the gamethread from when the Sox won the division: Link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58550&highlight=2005+central+division+champions)

Here is the post-gamethread with people going crazy: Link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58570&highlight=2005+central+division+champions)

I could also post threads where people waxed poetic about what they would wear to game one of the ALDS.

I remember stories of people going out to celebrate. Of people who went to Detroit to see the clincher and celebrating there. To pretend that Sox fans somehow were ho-hum about winning the division is absolutely ridiculous. Some people really need to face up to the reality that the world does not revolve around the White Sox.

The ironic thing is, back in 2005, so many people around here complained about how their Cub fan friends showed no respect for the Sox. It pissed people off to no end. And now, when the shoe is on the other foot, how are those same people acting? The same exact way.

Err, no. In fact, other than my "Thank God they did it on a Friday, can you imagine how goofy Mike Murphy would be?" I said congrats about them making it, even though I don't see them getting far into the playoffs.

I'm saying I wouldn't waste my time taking a day off of work to go to a "prep rally" for a professional team. I paid them no mind when I was in high school for our football team, much less for a pro-team.

I also said I don't see the point of running down to an empty ballpark to stand in front of it and hoot and holler. Who cares then?

To each their own, but to throw a pre-post-season rally on taxpayers dollars is moronic.

Win something, then celebrate. Sox, Bears, Bulls, Cubs, Blackhawks. I don't care. Celebrate when you win, not when you "make it."

That's my point. Don't go making me into a chest thumping moron fan because I think prep rallies for pros is a stupid (and money wasting) thing.

Noneck
09-29-2007, 09:27 PM
To each their own, but to throw a pre-post-season rally on taxpayers dollars is moronic.

Win something, then celebrate. Sox, Bears, Bulls, Cubs, Blackhawks. I don't care. Celebrate when you win, not when you "make it."

That's my point. Don't go making me into a chest thumping moron fan because I think prep rallies for pros is a stupid (and money wasting) thing.

I enjoyed the pep rally for the Sox.(even tho no current Sox players were there, they were at practice I was told) I was hopeful they would advance but one never knew at that time. The use on tax dollars for this sure beats another bunch of flower boxes. They deserve everything we got, no more, no less.

Frontman
09-29-2007, 09:31 PM
I enjoyed the pep rally for the Sox.(even tho no current Sox players were there, they were at practice I was told) I was hopeful they would advance but one never knew at that time. The use on tax dollars for this sure beats another bunch of flower boxes. They deserve everything we got, no more, no less.

Agreed. And I bought a World Series Sox hat with the WS logo on the side, saying "Hell, it took 'em close to 50 years to get into it, if they don't win, I want to at least enjoy them getting there."

It's still stupid in my opinion to have pro-team-prep rallies, but once the barn door is open, as they say. It should be the same for both teams.

PKalltheway
09-29-2007, 10:25 PM
In the same time period, the Cubs have zero seasons where they finished their 162 game schedule with at least 90 wins and they too now have 3 playoff berths to show for it.
IIRC, the Cubs won 90 games in 1998. Granted, there was a one-game playoff which they won that increased their total to 90, but 90 wins are 90 wins.

alohafri
09-29-2007, 11:03 PM
You know, I wouldn't mind the Cubs being successful if it wasn't for one thing...Cub fans! And I am not talking about the true fans of the team. I am talking about the idiots that feel like they should go to every ball park in the country and do their little "Let's go Cubbies" chant. You know the type. The ones who show up at a Marlins vs. Braves game in south Florida. The ones who ask that the lone television in a bar not tuned to the Cub game be tuned to the Cub game so everywhere they turn, they can see their precious boys in their blue pajamas. The ones who name their KIDS, not dogs, Wrigley. You are damn well right that I am pissed off. :angry: May their gardens be eaten by locusts just before the harvest. May someone pour round up on the precious ivy.

Brian26
09-29-2007, 11:06 PM
You know, I wouldn't mind the Cubs being successful if it wasn't for one thing...Cub fans! And I am not talking about the true fans of the team. I am talking about the idiots that feel like they should go to every ball park in the country and do their little "Let's go Cubbies" chant. You know the type. The ones who show up at a Marlins vs. Braves game in south Florida. The ones who ask that the lone television in a bar not tuned to the Cub game be tuned to the Cub game so everywhere they turn, they can see their precious boys in their blue pajamas. The ones who name their KIDS, not dogs, Wrigley. You are damn well right that I am pissed off. :angry: May their gardens be eaten by locusts just before the harvest. May someone pour round up on the precious ivy.

Epic. :thumbsup:
You're on a roll tonight, Aloha.

CubKilla
09-30-2007, 12:12 AM
You know what the scariest part of all this is? Considering how much the team changed from last year to this year, and how many moves were made, is there any way you can not give Jim Hendry the NL Exec. of the Year award? He brought in the right manager, signed two pitchers who stabilized the pitching staff, and brought in a huge power source. Perhaps most importantly, he changed the team from one depending on Wood/Prior to one where Wood is a middle reliever and Prior is an afterthought.

If NL Exec.of the Year goes to the guy who spent the most money the, by all means, award it to Hendry.

I prefer those types of awards go to GM's that put together teams no one gave a chance to in the pre-season but they performed during the season and surprised the media and fans alike. The D-Backs GM perhaps?

GoSox2K3
09-30-2007, 12:46 AM
Since 1990, the White Sox have won more than 84 games a total of ten times and only have 3 postseason berths (94, 95 and 99 win seasons) to show for it. Among the seasons we missed the playoffs were a 94 win and a 90 win season.

No way in hell are the Sox "lucky" like the Cubs are.

IIRC, the Cubs won 90 games in 1998. Granted, there was a one-game playoff which they won that increased their total to 90, but 90 wins are 90 wins.

Ah, but note my carefully worded post. What I said was technically correct and avoids the old Hangar argument.:wink:

The point is that, even in that season, winning 89 games after their regular schedule ended earned them one more shot at the playoffs. They made it and it counts. I only wish some of the past Sox teams had the luxury (a.k.a. "Cubs luck") of getting such a chance after winning less than 90 games.

Hitmen77
09-30-2007, 12:48 AM

You totally nailed it.

Post of the week.

ilsox7
09-30-2007, 05:19 AM
Err, no. In fact, other than my "Thank God they did it on a Friday, can you imagine how goofy Mike Murphy would be?" I said congrats about them making it, even though I don't see them getting far into the playoffs.

I'm saying I wouldn't waste my time taking a day off of work to go to a "prep rally" for a professional team. I paid them no mind when I was in high school for our football team, much less for a pro-team.

I also said I don't see the point of running down to an empty ballpark to stand in front of it and hoot and holler. Who cares then?

Actually, based on your initial post, your point was that the Cubs and Cub fans were doing something that Sox fans wouldn't do. And therefore they were stupid. However, Sox fans did the same exact thing. If you think both sets of fans are stupid for doing so, great. But you initially were out to rip Cub fans for being stupid, as evidenced by:

Grzegorz
09-30-2007, 05:56 AM
I hate the Cubs and their fans too...

I do not hate them I tend to ignore them. When they're confrontational I let them know I pity them.

hsnterprize
09-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Eh, he's the mayor, he has to wear one. He wore one in '03, you know it kills him to be wearing one. We all know where his loyalty is.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:18hJ4_ITPGxRVM:http://www.sharkforum.org/pridepics/mayor.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sharkforum.org/pridepics/mayor.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sharkforum.org/archives/2005/12/&h=386&w=300&sz=81&hl=en&start=10&tbnid=18hJ4_ITPGxRVM:&tbnh=123&tbnw=96&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmayor%2Bdaley%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10% 26hl%3Den)I attended the Sox' Rally Monday in '05, and say the Mayor. I asked him if he would "tell Cubs fans to 'get a life and support the Sox' like he said for Sox fans to do back in '03". He and an aide just laughed it off. I never heard him tell Cubs fans to "support the Sox"...not that their support really mattered. I just wanted him to be fair.

As far as I'm concerned, he's just being diplomatic. He's the mayor...he almost has to support the Cubs because it's a Chicago team in the baseball playoffs, and we all know it's a rarity. I'm sure deep in his heart, he's not too crazy about wearing the Cubs cap, but he's got a lot of north side supporters he can't offend.

Frontman
09-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Actually, based on your initial post, your point was that the Cubs and Cub fans were doing something that Sox fans wouldn't do. And therefore they were stupid. However, Sox fans did the same exact thing. If you think both sets of fans are stupid for doing so, great. But you initially were out to rip Cub fans for being stupid, as evidenced by:

Yes, but when you are a radio personality, and you run down to celebrate in front of the Harry Carey statue; not because of a win, but because the other team lost for you to advance?

Stupid behavior.

Granted, many things that Harry T does is stupid; like talking, breathing, and being on the air. :wink:

I just got bugged when you said, "This is the type of stuff that makes Sox fans look awful." Trust me, I think this:

http://www.stevemandich.com/otherstuff/disco.jpg

and this:

http://espn.starwave.com/i/page2/photos/040914ligue.jpg

Is far more damaging to a fan base's popularity than me being annoyed over a pre-post season prep rally. And like I said, I didn't know that the Sox had one, and now MLB REQUIRES cities to do this.

Meh, my annoyance also comes from having to work with Cubs fans acting as if making the playoffs is as big (or in one case, bigger) than the Sox winning it all in 2005. After a few hours of that, anyone would be cranky.

champagne030
09-30-2007, 09:46 AM

Did we actually do this? I was in Cleveland for the final series of '05 and left on Thursday evening on the night we clinched. I have no idea how Sox fans reacted in Chicago that weekend, but I have doubts that we went to our "mecca" and took pictures and such.....

Cat Thief
09-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Did we actually do this? I was in Cleveland for the final series of '05 and left on Thursday evening on the night we clinched. I have no idea how Sox fans reacted in Chicago that weekend, but I have doubts that we went to our "mecca" and took pictures and such.....

I doubt anyone was there when we clinched. There was only a handful of us out there after we beat Boston. I remember perfectly because the smart ass reporter asked me where all the Sox fans were. I told him not to worry about it and that they would come out after we win something more important. I was just a little over zealous that night.

MarySwiss
09-30-2007, 11:25 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they'll be all over Chase Field (assuming). Even the reporter who wrote the article in yesterday's Republic about ticket sales just HAD to interview some Cubs fans. And here we go, one guy stood in line from 4 am to get the wristband at 7 am that would allow him to hang around until 9 am to get an opportunity to stand in line to buy tickets depending on the number he got! At 9 am, I was at my laptop ordering tickets. I finished the process by 9:04.

But I recently realized that, even more than I hate obnoxious Cub fans, I hate the lousy media types who force them down our throats.

GO D'BACKS! :D:

chisoxfanatic
09-30-2007, 12:37 PM
I'll support that sentiment!!! :cool:

Cellview22
09-30-2007, 02:50 PM
I doubt anyone was there when we clinched. There was only a handful of us out there after we beat Boston. I remember perfectly because the smart ass reporter asked me where all the Sox fans were. I told him not to worry about it and that they would come out after we win something more important. I was just a little over zealous that night.

You should've asked him where the bars were at, where people might flood out onto the streets.. :?: Sox fans, and pretty much every other fanbase, aren't as obsessed with showing up on camera as the biggest crowd possible. I'd rather stay inside and watch the postgame. I don't remember any type of crowd gathering outside of Soldier Field when the Bears made it to the Super Bowl.. :D:

October26
09-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they'll be all over Chase Field (assuming). Even the reporter who wrote the article in yesterday's Republic about ticket sales just HAD to interview some Cubs fans. And here we go, one guy stood in line from 4 am to get the wristband at 7 am that would allow him to hang around until 9 am to get an opportunity to stand in line to buy tickets depending on the number he got! At 9 am, I was at my laptop ordering tickets. I finished the process by 9:04.

But I recently realized that, even more than I hate obnoxious Cub fans, I hate the lousy media types who force them down our throats.

I second this sentiment! I hope the D'Backs play well and are not intimidated by the flubs and their throngs of fans that are about to invade Chase Field assuming that this is what happens. I'm sending you good karma from Chicago, Mary Swiss! GO D'BACKS!

MarySwiss
09-30-2007, 04:35 PM
I second this sentiment! I hope the D'Backs play well and are not intimidated by the flubs and their throngs of fans that are about to invade Chase Field assuming that this is what happens. I'm sending you good karma from Chicago, Mary Swiss! GO D'BACKS!

Oh, no doubt there will be tons of Cub fans there. In fact, the Republic article quoted one frat boy type who said something like, "Put up the sign; this is Wrigley Field West." Kinda made me want to make a sign, too. Except mine would probably get me thrown out of the BOB. :D:

Weird thing. I scored tickets for Game 2. If things hold up, Game 2 will be on Thursday. That's MrMarySwiss's (Cub fan) and my 32nd anniversary. Should be an interesting evening. There will no doubt be passion flaring, but probably not the usual anniversary kind! :wink:

Edit: I just kissed my husband and told him I hope he enjoys the last four days of our marriage!

WSox597
09-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Go D'Backs!

Here's a mascot for ya':

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc319/jms597/rattskul.jpg

Cellview22
09-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Oh, no doubt there will be tons of Cub fans there. In fact, the Republic article quoted one frat boy type who said something like, "Put up the sign; this is Wrigley Field West." Kinda made me want to make a sign, too. Except mine would probably get me thrown out of the BOB. :D:

Weird thing. I scored tickets for Game 2. If things hold up, Game 2 will be on Thursday. That's MrMarySwiss's (Cub fan) and my 32nd anniversary. Should be an interesting evening. There will no doubt be passion flaring, but probably not the usual anniversary kind! :wink:

That's all they care about! They're so proud that they're part of this "gigantic fanbase", yet they haven't won anything.. since 1908. Chill out with the obnoxiousness and arrogance until you win a World Series.

Hope you get to see a D-backs win, MarySwiss. I'll be looking forward to hearing your reports after Game 2, hopefully the 2nd win over the Cubs. I remember how fun 2003 was, watching the Marlins beat the Cubs, this could be just as fun!

kevin57
09-30-2007, 08:38 PM
In the ideal world, the Cubs would advance to the NLCS and lose in seven games. Why? Because the extra games and innings would almost certainly doom their chances next year of getting anywhere...even in that pathetic division.

That's the "ideal" strategically. My stomach, though, wouldn't be able to take it.

Law11
10-01-2007, 09:21 AM
I loved Mike Adamle last night saying he expects there to be as many if not more Cub fans in AZ as Dback fans at the games..

It aint like FL or ATL Mike. People in AZ love their DBACKS and show up for their team.. There might be a lot of Chgo folks living out there but they are retired and aint paying thought the nose for tickets there Nostradamas..

He's nuts..

MarySwiss
10-01-2007, 09:29 AM
I loved Mike Adamle last night saying he expects there to be as many if not more Cub fans in AZ as Dback fans at the games..

It aint like FL or ATL Mike. People in AZ love their DBACKS and show up for their team.. There might be a lot of Chgo folks living out there but they are retired and aint paying thought the nose for tickets there Nostradamas..

He's nuts..

Oh, I'm sure there'll be a bunch of Cub fans there, plus some bandwagon jumpers. But there are sure to be a few D'Backs fans there as well. Hopefully, the Cubs fans won't get anything to cheer about and they'll have to just sit on their hands and shut their traps! :D:

pierzynski07
10-01-2007, 12:10 PM

He's nuts..
Wasn't it talked about this year how people weren't attending D'Backs games despite their solid play? For what it's worth, they're 20th in home attendence. And since attendence threads are frowned upon, I'll stop.

The Critic
10-01-2007, 12:54 PM

He's nuts..

I heard on the radio this morning that there are still more than a few face-value tickets available for both games in AZ.

I just checked for Game One tickets and found two in section 324 available for a total of 72 dollars.
Found two in section 322 for Game Two as well, same price.
Not exactly "paying through the nose" to pay 36 bucks for a playoff game. Looks to me like D-Backs fans are not yet showing up for their team.

Law11
10-01-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm stunned. They were there in full force in 01. I stand corrected if this is the case with tickets at face out there..

bryPt
10-01-2007, 01:55 PM
I was there earlier this year to see the Phily play. Garcia was pitching, Rowand in center, but Chris Young stole the show.

I would say honestly that there was approximately 8000 people at the game, I got front row tickets right down the right field line and I walked up 30 minutes before game time, paid I think $32 for the ticket. It was by far the quietest sporting event I ever went to. I could hear my watch ticking it was so quiet. I think the PA guy was just talking regular and not using the equipment. I sat there the entire game thinking "they are in first, if they make the playoffs, the visiting team with have home crowd advantage" and damn if it isn't cubDUMB that gets to play there in the first round. I have a feeling it will be 2 or 3 to one in favor of cubDUMB. But ya know, they have an awesome home record, so they seem confy playing in front of nobody.

GO DIAMONDBACKS!

Foulke You
10-01-2007, 02:28 PM
I sat there the entire game thinking "they are in first, if they make the playoffs, the visiting team with have home crowd advantage" and damn if it isn't cubDUMB that gets to play there in the first round. I have a feeling it will be 2 or 3 to one in favor of cubDUMB.
You just know the media will be heaping all kinds of praise on to the "loyal" Cub fans who went out to Arizona to fill the stadium because D'backs fans couldn't do it. Have you noticed the last 3 Cub playoff opponents dating back to '98 have been weak fanbases that are notorious for not selling out playoff games thus, making it easier for Cub fans to fill the place? Braves (twice), Marlins, and now D'backs. This isn't a conspiracy theory, just an observation. I'm sure a lot of Sox fans would have bought playoff tickets in Atlanta, Florida, or Arizona if they could have gotten them for face value on ticketmaster. Even with plane tickets factored in, it would still have been cheaper than what LCS and World Series tickets were going for on Ebay.

Foulke You
10-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Hopefully, the Cubs fans won't get anything to cheer about and they'll have to just sit on their hands and shut their traps! :D:
God I hope this happens and you have a wonderful time at the game Mary. We'll be pulling for them that's for sure.

TDog
10-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Oh, I'm sure there'll be a bunch of Cub fans there, plus some bandwagon jumpers. But there are sure to be a few D'Backs fans there as well. Hopefully, the Cubs fans won't get anything to cheer about and they'll have to just sit on their hands and shut their traps! :D:

The Arizona Diamondbacks' short history includes a World Series title. When the Cubs last won the World Series, Arizona wasn't even a state. (The Giants and Indians last won when there were 48 states -- and the Giants last won by beating the Indians. There were only 46 states when the Cubs last won the World Series.)

There used to be a lot of Giants, Dodgers and Cubs fans in the Valley before the Diamondbacks came to town, but I'm guessing the Diamondbacks have a strong following. The expansing Padres fans showed up for the San Diego games in the 1984 NLCS, and I'm sure the Diamondbacks fans will be representing this year.

MarySwiss
10-01-2007, 07:35 PM
The Arizona Diamondbacks' short history includes a World Series title. When the Cubs last won the World Series, Arizona wasn't even a state. (The Giants and Indians last won when there were 48 states -- and the Giants last won by beating the Indians. There were only 46 states when the Cubs last won the World Series.)

There used to be a lot of Giants, Dodgers and Cubs fans in the Valley before the Diamondbacks came to town, but I'm guessing the Diamondbacks have a strong following. The expansing Padres fans showed up for the San Diego games in the 1984 NLCS, and I'm sure the Diamondbacks fans will be representing this year.

Thanks, TDog. IIRC, in 2001, D'Backs fans were slow to come around for the first two series. In fact, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm not sure who we even played in the first two rounds. I think Atlanta was one, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

HOWever, by the time the big curtain went up, this place was rocking! There was a jumbotron in the plaza set up for the games, and there were not a whole lot of Yankee fans in evidence in the park.

Another thing that should help is that the game times have been announced, and now people know they can get there after work.

Now, ponder this. As of this morning, there were still tickets available at face. If the D'Backs were playing the Sox, and the Sox hadn't won a WS in almost 100 years, is there ANY CHANCE IN HELL this would be the case? I personally know of several people from here who paid top dollar for tickets and steep airfares to be in Chicago for the 2005 Series.

Cubs have the world's greatest fans, huh? My ass!

pierzynski07
10-01-2007, 07:51 PM
You're talking about the 05 World Series, right? No **** people would pay top dollar for that. An appearence itself hadn't been seen in 46 years!

Seems that those in Arizona have taken an Atlanta Braves approach to the playoffs: A Division Series is nothing to go out of their way to see.

Cellview22
10-01-2007, 07:57 PM
There's an article in the Arizona Republic saying 20,000 tickets are still available.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/1001tickets-CP.html

Why aren't Cubs fans filling up this place, if there's so many of them? :lol:

MarySwiss
10-01-2007, 08:15 PM
There's an article in the Arizona Republic saying 20,000 tickets are still available.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/1001tickets-CP.html

Why aren't Cubs fans filling up this place, if there's so many of them? :lol:

My point exactly! :wink:

pierzynski07
10-01-2007, 11:21 PM
And where are the DBack fans? Pathetic.

hsnterprize
10-02-2007, 01:29 AM
I wrote this on the D-Backs fan forum on their official website. I couldn't find any fan sites for the team, but I think this says it all.

Hey everybody!!!!! I thought I'd drop this note to you Diamondbacks fans from the city of Big Shoulders. Believe it or not, there are Chicagoans who are actually rooting FOR your team to beat the Cubs in this playoff series...and we are the Chicago WHITE SOX fans. Just from the top...don't believe any hype you hear about how "all of Chicago is behind the Cubs". That clearly isn't true. While we White Sox clearly acknowledge our team's futility this past season, we also understand that since your team is playing the Cubs in the playoffs, there are some things you need to know.

First of all...to show you I'm meaning business about us Sox fans cheering for you, I'd like to direct you to a thread on the Chicago White Sox fansite, White Sox Interactive. It's showing our disgust with how the Chicago media seemed to immediately clamp on to "Cubs Fever" the second the Cubs qualified for the post-season, while it took some of the local press some time before they came to our side when our team made its run in the post-season in 2005.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93193

If this link doesn't work, log on to whitesoxinteractive.com, click on the "message boards" on the left side of the screen, click on "What's the Score", and you'll read how we're taking this "Cub fever" thing...and it's like we're coming down with a case of the flu.

Anyway, here are some things to keep in mind. There are going to be a LOT of people in Cubbie blue invading Phoenix over the next few days...that is if they're not already there. The Cubs fans you run into are most likely not going to be the most classy people in the world. They'll be most likely arrogant, disrespectful, and acting like the D-Backs are only a stepping stone towards "killing the curse" that's kept the Cubs down nearly 100 years. Don't let these people push you around...especially in Chase Field. You need to show some serious passion for the D-Backs, and counter the Cub cheering that'll happen en masse at your ballpark. And if the Cub fans outcheer the D-Backs at Chase Field, many in the Chicago and national media will start referring to your place as "Wrigley Field West"...and I'm pretty sure you don't want that.

You have supporters here in Chicago who are pulling for the D-Backs to "bite" the Cubs out of their misery. There was a rally in downtown Chicago earlier today, and the people in attendance almost acted like the Cubs had already won the World Series, let alone one playoff game. But we White Sox fans aren't going along with the hype. We're standing with you.

Congratulations on your success this year. Your team finished the National League regular season with the league's best record, and they did it without a lot of household names other than Brandon Webb. Good way to bring up talent from within your organization.

Critics of this post will say I'm a Sox fan who's jealous of the Cubs' popularity and/or success. That is definitely NOT the case. Cub fans who post on this thread will try to discredit me totally...they can't do it. Once again, I invite you D=Backs fans to read the threads on White Sox Interactive for yourself to see how we are, and how we'll be paying attention to this and all playoff series. Yes...we love our White Sox, but we also love good baseball.

Good luck in this post-season, and especially against the sCrUBS (note the spelling). And just remember...you've got supporters in Chicago, and we're smart enough to wear our silver and black in the face of all things "Cubbie Blue".

This post will appear on the D-Backs fan forum later today...you have to wait before you can post something on their message boards when you first sign up. I'm saving this post, and will post this message later.

Hopefully, this will begin a friendship between the White Sox and Diamondbacks fans that will last long after this series is over.

RadioheadRocks
10-02-2007, 02:17 AM
I wrote this on the D-Backs fan forum on their official website. I couldn't find any fan sites for the team, but I think this says it all.

Hey everybody!!!!! I thought I'd drop this note to you Diamondbacks fans from the city of Big Shoulders. Believe it or not, there are Chicagoans who are actually rooting FOR your team to beat the Cubs in this playoff series...and we are the Chicago WHITE SOX fans. Just from the top...don't believe any hype you hear about how "all of Chicago is behind the Cubs". That clearly isn't true. While we White Sox clearly acknowledge our team's futility this past season, we also understand that since your team is playing the Cubs in the playoffs, there are some things you need to know.

First of all...to show you I'm meaning business about us Sox fans cheering for you, I'd like to direct you to a thread on the Chicago White Sox fansite, White Sox Interactive. It's showing our disgust with how the Chicago media seemed to immediately clamp on to "Cubs Fever" the second the Cubs qualified for the post-season, while it took some of the local press some time before they came to our side when our team made its run in the post-season in 2005.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93193

If this link doesn't work, log on to whitesoxinteractive.com, click on the "message boards" on the left side of the screen, click on "What's the Score", and you'll read how we're taking this "Cub fever" thing...and it's like we're coming down with a case of the flu.

Anyway, here are some things to keep in mind. There are going to be a LOT of people in Cubbie blue invading Phoenix over the next few days...that is if they're not already there. The Cubs fans you run into are most likely not going to be the most classy people in the world. They'll be most likely arrogant, disrespectful, and acting like the D-Backs are only a stepping stone towards "killing the curse" that's kept the Cubs down nearly 100 years. Don't let these people push you around...especially in Chase Field. You need to show some serious passion for the D-Backs, and counter the Cub cheering that'll happen en masse at your ballpark. And if the Cub fans outcheer the D-Backs at Chase Field, many in the Chicago and national media will start referring to your place as "Wrigley Field West"...and I'm pretty sure you don't want that.

You have supporters here in Chicago who are pulling for the D-Backs to "bite" the Cubs out of their misery. There was a rally in downtown Chicago earlier today, and the people in attendance almost acted like the Cubs had already won the World Series, let alone one playoff game. But we White Sox fans aren't going along with the hype. We're standing with you.

Congratulations on your success this year. Your team finished the National League regular season with the league's best record, and they did it without a lot of household names other than Brandon Webb. Good way to bring up talent from within your organization.

Critics of this post will say I'm a Sox fan who's jealous of the Cubs' popularity and/or success. That is definitely NOT the case. Cub fans who post on this thread will try to discredit me totally...they can't do it. Once again, I invite you D=Backs fans to read the threads on White Sox Interactive for yourself to see how we are, and how we'll be paying attention to this and all playoff series. Yes...we love our White Sox, but we also love good baseball.

Good luck in this post-season, and especially against the sCrUBS (note the spelling). And just remember...you've got supporters in Chicago, and we're smart enough to wear our silver and black in the face of all things "Cubbie Blue".

This post will appear on the D-Backs fan forum later today...you have to wait before you can post something on their message boards when you first sign up. I'm saving this post, and will post this message later.

Hopefully, this will begin a friendship between the White Sox and Diamondbacks fans that will last long after this series is over.
Bravo!

Bravissimo!!!

hsnterprize
10-02-2007, 08:00 AM
You know something...

I know this is going to seem like a broken record, but I'm now noticing what many of you have already pointed out...the full-fledged media blitz of "all-things-Cub". Now, to be fair, I remember when the Sox clinched the division in '05, at least channels 2, 5, and 9 broke into regular afternoon programming to cover the celebrations and such. And I do remember those stations devoting significant time to them, but not like this. It seems to me, unless I'm only looking at this through silver and black glasses, that the "there's more Cubs fans than Sox fans" rationale is dominating the "let's do another Cubs story whenever we get the chance" style of reporting around here.

As much as I can get tired of all that stuff, I say unto you...let it happen. I think if we were to start going nuts and complain to the stations about this, we'd only look like crying, whiney (sp?) fools who are just "upset" and "jealous" about our team not getting the spotlight. So I say if the stations want to go "all Cubs, all the time", I say let 'em. It'll only make them look more foolish when the Cubs fail to win again.

I remember before game 6 of the 2003 NLCS...just about every local media outlet was declaring the Cubs the winner of that series, and there was NO ONE even willing to suggest the Florida Marlins had a chance to come back and win. Well, I believe that arrogance gave Florida that extra "oomph" they needed to "silence the critics". I personally was working at WMBI Radio back then, and I remember watching all the local TV reports about that game. I was so incenced by the cockiness and arrogance of reporters and fans alike that I was hoping against hope for a Florida win. Well, after game six, I was laughing to hard at just about every reporter I saw after that game, it was amazing. In fact, I remember Mike Barz (he was the WGN Morning News sports reporter back then) giving a preview of game seven, and he said something to the like of "...the Cubs have every advantage in this game against the Marlins, which is why every Cubs fan should be concerned." The Marlins bats got hot after a see-saw start to the game, and the Fish celebrated their 2nd N.L. pennant at Wrigley while thousands of "loyal" Cub fans got a deep-dish sized slice of "humble pie a la mode". And even Mark Giangreco, a Cubs season ticket holder, apologized on the air for "acting more like a fan than a reporter". Just about every Cub fan in the media had so much egg on their face after game 7, you could've cooked enough omeletes to feed a 3rd world country that day.

Here's another story about "celebrating too early"...I heard on the radio about a New York Post article about the Marlins/Mets series this past weekend. According to an ESPN Radio host (I didn't know his name), the Mets were acting cocky and show-boating to the Marlins during and after the Mets' 13-0 win on Saturday...as if they were on the rebound back to the post-season spotlight. The Marlins, who had absolutely nothing to play for, found something...PRIDE. They took that pride, and acted like they were neck-and-neck with the Mets for 1st place in the N.L. East. They stood on the top of their dugout; they acted like they were really into that game, and they stood with an unprecedented swaggar as they took it to Tom Glavine that day. When was the last time you saw Glavine give up 7 runs in 1/3 of an inning? That's what happens when you "count your chickens before they hatch" and act like the other team doesn't exist.

My point in all this...if the local and national media start acting like they're smoking the ivy at Wrigley during this Cub run, get upset, but don't act like you're getting upset. It'll only look like jealousy and spite to the Cub lovers in the press. The ultimate result is if the Cubs win their first World Series in 99 years, and obviously, our answer is a loud and thunderous...NO!!!!!!!!!!! Also keep this in mind...'03 was also Dusty (In Dusty, We Trusty, then we got Crusty) Baker's first year managing that club, and they made the playoffs. Look what's happened since. Could Pinella be along that same road? The Cubs will be expected to do great things in 2008 if (or whould I say WHEN) they don't win it all this season. For all I know, this could be the re-hash of the Cubs' 2003 and 2004 seasons all over again.

Not to mention...the Cubs' failure this year will only make the Sox' success in 2008 that much sweeter.

FielderJones
10-02-2007, 12:14 PM
You just know the media will be heaping all kinds of praise on to the "loyal" Cub fans who went out to Arizona to fill the stadium because D'backs fans couldn't do it. Have you noticed the last 3 Cub playoff opponents dating back to '98 have been weak fanbases that are notorious for not selling out playoff games thus, making it easier for Cub fans to fill the place? Braves (twice), Marlins, and now D'backs. This isn't a conspiracy theory, just an observation. I'm sure a lot of Sox fans would have bought playoff tickets in Atlanta, Florida, or Arizona if they could have gotten them for face value on ticketmaster. Even with plane tickets factored in, it would still have been cheaper than what LCS and World Series tickets were going for on Ebay.

Count on the Cubune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/services/newspaper/printedition/tuesday/chi-1002edit3oct02,0,659020.story) for that. :rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
10-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Count on the Cubune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/services/newspaper/printedition/tuesday/chi-1002edit3oct02,0,659020.story) for that. :rolleyes:

I noticed it was an editorial. Was it written by the staff or a reader (I don't have a physical copy of the paper)?

Foulke You
10-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Ah, like clockwork...:rolleyes:

FielderJones
10-02-2007, 04:16 PM
I noticed it was an editorial. Was it written by the staff or a reader (I don't have a physical copy of the paper)?

That was a staff editorial. But as we all know, Tribune staff are not directed in any way to write positive coverage of the Cubs.