PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Tour: New Ballparks

TornLabrum
09-28-2007, 07:02 PM
I don't remember seeing this link here, but then again, I've been pretty occupied the last couple of weeks, so forgive me if I missed it.

This is a nice virtual tour of the new A's, Yankees, and Mets stadiums: http://www.mlb.com/mlb/fan_forum/cisco/

Red Barchetta
09-28-2007, 10:58 PM
That's pretty cool. I like the new A's ballpark. The Yankees looks traditional, however not crazy about the Mets or Twins parks. Washington looks OK, however they are all starting to look very similar now.

I'm happy with the US Cellular renovations, however after seeing all the new parks, I really wish we weren't the first of the new parks. Not so much the design, just the location. I would have loved to have the park built north of I55, either next to McCormick place or on the SW side of the loop with the Sears tower and the skyline in the background.

Hitmen77
09-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Cool.

The Twins new stadium is there too. I can't believe the Twins aren't going to pay for a retractable roof. The park will be a million times better than the Dome, but there's going to be some pretty miserable early and late season games up there beginning in 2010.

Frater Perdurabo
09-29-2007, 09:04 AM
The scoreboard at Cisco Field looks a lot like a giant flat-panel monitor. Nice touch. :D:

NardiWasHere
09-29-2007, 01:58 PM
If I was choosing a design for the Nats, I'd make it look like a baseball stadium crossed with the White House/Lincoln Memorial/Capitol building etc.

Big columns, stone exterior..... something to make it unique.

Also, as more and more stadiums get built in this new style, the Cell is becoming much more unique. And its aging quite nicely.

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the new parks, but I feel like they are becoming increasingly generic.

If I was going to design these, I'd make sure I wasn't just gonna make another Baltimore/Cincy/Seattle clone.

Frater Perdurabo
09-29-2007, 02:22 PM
If I was choosing a design for the Nats, I'd make it look like a baseball stadium crossed with the White House/Lincoln Memorial/Capitol building etc.

That would be really cool. They wouldn't even have to use marble or even granite; they could do the same thing with concrete. It's amazing what can be done with concrete. I just walked through a model home today in which the floor was concrete but stamped and stained to look like wood.

TheOldRoman
09-29-2007, 02:23 PM

Big columns, stone exterior..... something to make it unique.

Also, as more and more stadiums get built in this new style, the Cell is becoming much more unique. And its aging quite nicely.

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the new parks, but I feel like they are becoming increasingly generic.

If I was going to design these, I'd make sure I wasn't just gonna make another Baltimore/Cincy/Seattle clone.Well, that is pretty much what the Nats did. It is stone and glass on the exterior, not brick and iron. Actually, it looks like this was inspired a lot by new Comiskey.

I agree with you on the Cell, but that is not how the elitist stadium expert snobs "roll". You see, all the new retro parks they creamed over the last 15 years are "soooo last decade". Now, they roll their eyes and poo-poo every new park saying "this is just like every other one. Why don't the do something different?" Then, the Nats build a park unlike any other, and they tear it to shreds. Of course, the Cell is a joke, but ****ing Kauffman Stadium is the mecca? :rolleyes: GMFB

DSpivack
09-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Well, that is pretty much what the Nats did. It is stone and glass on the exterior, not brick and iron. Actually, it looks like this was inspired a lot by new Comiskey.

I agree with you on the Cell, but that is not how the elitist stadium expert snobs "roll". You see, all the new retro parks they creamed over the last 15 years are "soooo last decade". Now, they roll their eyes and poo-poo every new park saying "this is just like every other one. Why don't the do something different?" Then, the Nats build a park unlike any other, and they tear it to shreds. Of course, the Cell is a joke, but ****ing Kauffman Stadium is the mecca? :rolleyes: GMFB

The plans for the Nats park were already set in stone by the city and MLB, so to speak, before the team was even sold. The ownership group didn't go much say in changing it to their liking.

NardiWasHere
09-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Well, that is pretty much what the Nats did. It is stone and glass on the exterior, not brick and iron. Actually, it looks like this was inspired a lot by new Comiskey.

From what I can tell, it's got a Cincy vibe going on.

Don't you think it would be much cooler if the exterior was a total-D.C. inspired look?

http://z.about.com/d/architecture/1/0/i/A/uscourt02-at.jpg

Just do something like that but with a baseball diamond in the middle:smile:...

And in the freeze (is that the correct word for the pictures above the columns?) I'd put little baseball guys instead of a classical image.

DSpivack
09-29-2007, 02:55 PM
From what I can tell, it's got a Cincy vibe going on.

Don't you think it would be much cooler if the exterior was a total-D.C. inspired look?

http://z.about.com/d/architecture/1/0/i/A/uscourt02-at.jpg

Just do something like that but with a baseball diamond in the middle:smile:...

And in the freeze (is that the correct word for the pictures above the columns?) I'd put little baseball guys instead of a classical image.

Frieze. The design does have the same kind of block glass and steel look that is commonly found in downtown DC, but stone would've been cool, as well. Like I said, the design was finalized long before the Lerner group took over as owners.

Fenway
09-29-2007, 02:58 PM
There is a lot of USCF in the new Yankee Stadium

NardiWasHere
09-29-2007, 03:28 PM
There is a lot of USCF in the new Yankee Stadium

I gotta say, when I went to Yankee Stadium, I saw a lot of similarities between 2004 Yankee stadium and a pre-renovated New Comiskey.

Blue seats, black batter's eye, the white fencing vs. white scaffolding... Am I the only one to make this comparison?

BTW Fenway, what are your thoughts on Fenway's transformation in recent years? Out of the people I know who have been there, half say its fantastic, the other half complains about it.

Fenway
09-29-2007, 03:33 PM
I gotta say, when I went to Yankee Stadium, I saw a lot of similarities between 2004 Yankee stadium and a pre-renovated New Comiskey.

Blue seats, black batter's eye, the white fencing vs. white scaffolding... Am I the only one to make this comparison?

BTW Fenway, what are your thoughts on Fenway's transformation in recent years? Out of the people I know who have been there, half say its fantastic, the other half complains about it.

One plus is the park is not nearly as claustrophic as was pre-2002. They have made more room behind the grandstand and now you can move around easier.

The roof is nice but very expensive.

Still they have done little to improve the seating comfort of the peons. The grandstand seats are as bad as the ones in old Comiskey

Red Barchetta
09-29-2007, 09:00 PM

Funny, because I thought the same thing when New Comiskey originally opened.

skobabe8
09-30-2007, 10:36 AM
One plus is the park is not nearly as claustrophic as was pre-2002. They have made more room behind the grandstand and now you can move around easier.

The roof is nice but very expensive.

Still they have done little to improve the seating comfort of the peons. The grandstand seats are as bad as the ones in old Comiskey

Are the seats there still wooden or have they been changed?

Fenway
09-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Are the seats there still wooden or have they been changed?

Grandstand seats are wooden dating back to 1934 with no leg room.