PDA

View Full Version : Bars around Comiskey Park

Buster_Bronco
04-11-2002, 12:33 PM
Tiger fan thinking if coming to Comiskey this summer.

Wasn't there a popular Sox bar right where the new Comiskey Park sits? What was that called?

Are there any other good Sox's hangouts around the park?

PaleHoseGeorge
04-11-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Buster_Bronco
Tiger fan thinking if coming to Comiskey this summer.

Wasn't there a popular Sox bar right where the new Comiskey Park sits? What was that called?

Are there any other good Sox's hangouts around the park?

You're thinking of McCuddy's. It was right across the street from Old Comiskey. Babe Ruth drank there between games of a doubleheader. They tore it down over 13 years ago, but even out-of-town fans like you still know of it. Amazing.

The owners were given a verbal assurance they would be allowed to rebuild their bar near the new ballpark by then-Governor Jim Thompson. It never happened. Here's another clear example of why Sox Fans are to blame for the team's woes.

The only drinking hole on-premise is the Bullpen Bar. It can be crowded, but is worth visiting. It is definitely the best of the retro-fit improvements the Sox have made to their 11 year-old ballpark. (Not that anyone inside the organization has ever had the stones to actually admit they goofed in the first place. Public relations is not our team's strong suit).

The closest off-premise bars are all located on the far-side of the parking lots. Dave Wills will often plug his favorites in the post-game radio show. Many others here can offer their favorites, too.

Thanks for visiting us!

Moses_Scurry
04-11-2002, 01:02 PM
My friends and I went to some small hole in the wall bar nearby Comiskey last year. I want to say it's called Kelly's but I'm not sure. Anyway, we got some of the dirtiest looks I've ever seen! I can only assume it was because we weren't from the area. That or because I was staring at the womens' breasts :D: !

RedPinStripes
04-11-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Moses_Scurry
My friends and I went to some small hole in the wall bar nearby Comiskey last year. I want to say it's called Kelly's but I'm not sure. Anyway, we got some of the dirtiest looks I've ever seen! I can only assume it was because we weren't from the area. That or because I was staring at the womens' breasts :D: !

Kelly's HA! Over on 44th and Wallace huh? Not a bad irish bar. I used to live a block from there. Gets a little rough late at night if you don't know anyone. It's a big neighborhood bar. At least it was 5 years ago when i was in there last.

Buster_Bronco
04-11-2002, 01:10 PM
Yeah McCuddy's. - thanks.

Thanks for the tips.

We had a couple of bars around Tiger Stadium with that kind of history
- there was one bar (name changed 100 times) -I think it was the
"Batters box" last time I checked - when Lou Gehrig's streak of 2130 game ended he left Briggs(Tiger) Stadium during the game and went and listened to the game on the radio at the bar.

-Lindells (my favorite Tiger bar) where Billy Martin as Tiger manager got in a fight out back

I'll check out the Bullpen when in in town - thanks again

alohafri
04-11-2002, 01:55 PM
Other than the Bullpen Bar, my favorite watering hole around Comiskey Park is Cobblestones at 39th and Parnell.

Jimmy Healy, one of the bartenders, is a riot, and boy, does he know his Sox!

Nellie_Fox
04-11-2002, 02:16 PM
How about Schallers Pump at 37th and Halstead?

Foulke You
04-11-2002, 04:10 PM
Don't forget Jimbo's Sports Bar. Not too far from the park.

If you want MLB shirts, hats, etc. then be sure to check out the fine folks at Grandstands at 35th and Wallace just 2 blocks from Comiskey Park.

There is also a little hot dog/taco stand on the way if you choose to walk there and grab some fine Chicago greasy food. Of course, when in Comiskey Park, the kosher dogs with the grilled onions are superb...mmmmmm...hot dogs...I'm ready for opening day!

Buster_Bronco
04-12-2002, 08:18 AM
Thanks again.

Good luck this season - I'm pulling for the ChiSox to knock off the damn Tribe....I've had enough of them for one lifetime.

We all know the Tigers aren't even close

Have a good one.

uksoxfan
04-12-2002, 12:50 PM
While we're on the subject of Bars/Pubs. I'm gonna be with my wife & 10 year old son this year, so are kids allowed in any of the Bars?
Over here most Pubs allow kids in these days plus there are what are called "Family Pubs" too............not really for me though as I prefer not to drink in a playground!

I'd appreciate info on any establishments that I'd be able to visit with my boy........downtown or near Comiskey.

Cheers :gulp:

Viva Magglio
04-12-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Don't forget Jimbo's Sports Bar. Not too far from the park.

If you want MLB shirts, hats, etc. then be sure to check out the fine folks at Grandstands at 35th and Wallace just 2 blocks from Comiskey Park.

There is also a little hot dog/taco stand on the way if you choose to walk there and grab some fine Chicago greasy food. Of course, when in Comiskey Park, the kosher dogs with the grilled onions are superb...mmmmmm...hot dogs...I'm ready for opening day!

There is also The Show which is at 35th & Halsted.