PDA

View Full Version : Good Cubs article

cws05champ
09-27-2007, 09:26 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sfl-flspskolnickspec27nbsep27,0,1565221.column

My favorite line:

The Cubs might actually win a World Series. And they can't. It wouldn't be right. It would poison the ivy. It would be Charlie Brown kicking the ball, Wile E. Coyote nabbing the Road Runner. The Cubs are notable because they are pitiable; their fans' nobility is tied to everlasting devotion to a lost cause.

Dread Farmer
09-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Not so much. Plays into the Cubs are America's Team because people feel sorry for them. They're America's team because of Wrigley, Sunshine, Beer, WGN, Harry, Super Hot Babes, Beer, Beer, Beer and um Beer. Oh ya bandwagon idiots!

Railsplitter
09-28-2007, 06:54 AM
Not so much. Plays into the Cubs are America's Team because people feel sorry for them.

That pretty much says it all. The Cardinals have gone longer than any NFL team without a title, but you don't see much in the way of sypathy for them. Of course, they've moved twice since then. I don't see much sympathy for the Blackhawks, and they've gone longer than anybody else without winning the Stanley Cup.

Under that set of logic, then we must support the Indians in the post season, becuase the city of Cleveland has gone longer than any city with three major pro sports teams without winning a championship.

Hitmen77
09-28-2007, 07:44 AM
That article is just typical media crap. Poor Cubbies, going so long without a championship - they are lovable just like Charlie Brown. *****. :puking:

Yet another story that mentions the two long-suffering fan bases. The Flubs and the Red Sox with their awful 86-yr drought. That is all. No one else out there has suffered so long. It's not like there's another fan base out there that went, say, 88 years without a championship or anything like that. Gee, I wonder what it would be like if such a team existed? Maybe fans from that non-existent team wouldn't be nearly obnoxious as either the Cubs or Red Cubs fans bases.

What would be the consequence of the champion Cubs?

Consider Floyd's frightening vision.

"That city would flip the script," Floyd said. "You'd come to Wrigley, chill, have a beer, don't care less if you lose 162 games the next year.
Yeah, because that is sooo different that the way things have been at Wrigley for years.:rolleyes:

The Cubs are notable because they are pitiable; their fans' nobility is tied to everlasting devotion to a lost cause. Another illustration: an Indiana couple naming a son "Wrigley Fields."
:bs:
Bull****! It isn't about devotion to a lost cause - their fans are just devoted to a "popular cause". They're just so "devoted" to the Cubs because it's perceived to be cool. If that's not the case, then why all the constant talk by Cub fans about attendance? Over the last few years, they apparently have cared more about that than winning. And ***** about that stupid Indiana couple. Let's all face it, they wouldn't be calling their son "Wrigley Fields" if they didn't think it was "cool" because they are just full of them selves over the Cubs popularity.

tebman
09-28-2007, 08:32 AM
:bs:
Bull****! It isn't about devotion to a lost cause - their fans are just devoted to a "popular cause". They're just so "devoted" to the Cubs because it's perceived to be cool. If that's not the case, then why all the constant talk by Cub fans about attendance? Over the last few years, they apparently have cared more about that than winning. And ***** about that stupid Indiana couple. Let's all face it, they wouldn't be calling their son "Wrigley Fields" if they didn't think it was "cool" because they are just full of them selves over the Cubs popularity.

Well put. I have a friend I've known since childhood who is a Cubs fan -- that is, he's a real Cubs fan who is baseball-savvy and has followed their ups and downs since the 1950s. He's told me that he hasn't been to a Cubs home game in over ten years because he doesn't like what it's become. While he and I disagree on the particulars, we both agree that the Cubs have metastasized into a grotesque tourist attraction like the Mall of America.

The combination of promotion by the Tribune & WGN, demographic shifts, and gentrification patterns have created this bizarre thing that has little to do with baseball. To me the Cubs phenomenon is like the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man from "Ghostbusters" tramping through the city and crushing everything in its path.

Now that I think about it, I guess that makes us at WSI just like the heroic Ghostbusters. Who you gonna call? :tongue:

The Immigrant
09-28-2007, 09:25 AM
:worship: to Hitman 77. Now stop being so flubsessed.