PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wilbon gets it right

captainclutch24
09-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Today on PTI they discussed the Rockies ten game win streak. He brought up the point that the network is showing bias because if it had been the Red Sox or Yankees winning ten in a row to pull within a game of the wild card and 2 out of first the network would of ran an hour long special preceeding PTI.

I always have liked Mike and this just adds to that

MarySwiss
09-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Today on PTI they discussed the Rockies ten game win streak. He brought up the point that the network is showing bias because if it had been the Red Sox or Yankees winning ten in a row to pull within a game of the wild card and 2 out of first the network would of ran an hour long special preceeding PTI.

Big "thumbs up" to him. Hard to believe he's still employed there!

getonbckthr
09-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Mike Wilbon = Real Good.

Hokiesox
09-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Big "thumbs up" to him. Hard to believe he's still employed there!

His paycheck comes from the Washington Post. I don't think ESPN pays him the bulk of his livelyhood. That's the genius of the show, they can say almost whatever they want. ESPN isn't going to fire them, and even if they did, Wilbon and Kornheiser wouldn't care!

thomas35forever
09-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Someone on ESPN speaks the truth! It really shouldn't be a surprise considering whose mouth it came out of. Employees at the network could take a few lessons from Wilbon.

MarySwiss
09-27-2007, 07:04 PM
His paycheck comes from the Washington Post. I don't think ESPN pays him the bulk of his livelyhood. That's the genius of the show, they can say almost whatever they want. ESPN isn't going to fire them, and even if they did, Wilbon and Kornheiser wouldn't care!

This, I did not know. Thanks!

chaerulez
09-27-2007, 07:06 PM

Kornheiser works on MNF also though and has a ESPN radio show with them (or did at one point, I'm not sure since it's not played in the Chicago market). Maybe Wilbon doesn't have strong ties with ESPN, but Kornheiser sure does.

chisoxfanatic
09-27-2007, 07:10 PM
Someone on ESPN speaks the truth! It really shouldn't be a surprise considering whose mouth it came out of. Employees at the network could take a few lessons from Wilbon.
Everyone could take a few lessons from a Chicago sports fanatic! :D:

WLL1855
09-27-2007, 07:24 PM

Big fan of PTI but I have one gripe.

They still pump ABC (which, like ESPN, is also owned by Disney) at the end of the show during the "What's on TV tonight" topic. At least one of them will pimp whatever show is on ABC that night (it was "Dancing with the Stars" last night), so don't think they aren't willing to toe the company line.

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

asindc
09-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Kornheiser works on MNF also though and has a ESPN radio show with them (or did at one point, I'm not sure since it's not played in the Chicago market). Maybe Wilbon doesn't have strong ties with ESPN, but Kornheiser sure does.

Kornheiser gave up his radio show to be on MNF. He also does less writing for the Post than Wilbon does these days.

WhiteSoxJunkie
09-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Big fan of PTI but I have one gripe.

They still pump ABC (which, like ESPN, is also owned by Disney) at the end of the show during the "What's on TV tonight" topic. At least one of them will pimp whatever show is on ABC that night (it was "Dancing with the Stars" last night), so don't think they aren't willing to toe the company line.

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Not necessarily. Kornheiser always talks about American Idol which is on Fox.

Isn't it amazing how smart some Cubs fans (i.e. Wilbon) can be?

GAsoxfan
09-27-2007, 10:42 PM
I really like both of those guys. They're actual journalists, rather than the morons who made their names spewing irrational garbage like most of the employees of ESPN. PTI is the only show I can stand to watch on ESPN anymore.

skobabe8
09-28-2007, 08:42 AM
I think Wilbon is an idiot, but he is compleetly right about this.

Huisj
09-28-2007, 02:22 PM

Actually, I believe he used the word preempt rather than preceed, which makes the point even stronger. They wouldn't just put it early in the day, but they'd actually cancel shows in big time slots to show an east coast love fest if that were the case.

nysox35
09-28-2007, 02:49 PM
I can't really respect someone who is a South Side Cub fan...