PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a classic "Shoe" cartoon

Fenway
09-27-2007, 03:14 PM
My wife has been looking in bookstores and can not find it.

In the comic "Shoe" some 20 years ago Cosmo asks Irv the mechanic how things are going with his new girlfriend.

Irv replies "We broke up over religious differences"

Cosmo "I'm sorry"

Irv "She was a White Sox fan."

Anybody familar with it?

Johnny Mostil
09-28-2007, 02:45 PM
My wife has been looking in bookstores and can not find it.

In the comic "Shoe" some 20 years ago Cosmo asks Irv the mechanic how things are going with his new girlfriend.

Irv replies "We broke up over religious differences"

Cosmo "I'm sorry"

Irv "She was a White Sox fan."

Anybody familar with it?

I remember this, so you're not imagining it (or we both are!), but I don't recall much more than what you've posted (e.g., it ran 20-some years ago) . . .

TDog
09-28-2007, 03:06 PM
The cartoon ran in the early '80s. I believe it ran on a Sunday and set up the fact that he was a White Sox fan and she was a Cubs fan before the "religious differences" punch line. It ran between August 1981 and August 1983, placing it at a time when neither team had been to the postseason for decades. (Now Chicago gets to the postseason every couple of years, thanks in large part to an expanded and watered down postseason.) The editor at the newspaper I was working for at the time pointed it out to me. I don't believe it was a resurrected cartoon that had run earlier than that.

It is probably included in the book 27 Years of Shoe.

Fenway
09-28-2007, 03:09 PM
The cartoon ran in the early '80s. I believe it ran on a Sunday and set up the fact that he was a White Sox fan and she was a Cubs fan before the "religious differences" punch line. It ran between August 1981 and August 1983, placing it at a time when neither team had been to the postseason for decades. (Now Chicago gets to the postseason every couple of years, thanks in large part to an expanded and watered down postseason.) The editor at the newspaper I was working for at the time pointed it out to me. I don't believe it was a resurrected cartoon that had run earlier than that.

It is probably included in the book 27 Years of Shoe.

Irv the mechanic was the Cubs fan and the unseen woman the White Sox fan.

I can see it in my brain where Irv is working on Cosmo's ridiculous car with the giant fins.