PDA

View Full Version : Sox mentioned in presidential debate

kba
09-27-2007, 12:25 AM
I don't want to start a political discussion, but Sen. Obama mentioned the Sox in tonight's Democratic Presidential debate. Tim Russert asked each candidate who they were rooting for in the playoffs - Red Sox or Yankees. (Apparently, Tim gets all his sports news from ESPN and isn't familiar with the fact that there are 28 other teams.)

Obama didn't bite. He said, "I'm a White Sox fan all the way."

DumpJerry
09-27-2007, 12:27 AM
Obama seems to mention the White Sox often in public.

Tim Russert is an East Coast tool. There are only two teams in his world. Red Sox and Yankees.

Gavin
09-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Mod edit: You can't keep myself from making comments which will lead to a political discussion. No banning, but let's keep within the guidelines.

Martinigirl
09-27-2007, 12:35 AM
I don't want to start a political discussion, but Sen. Obama mentioned the Sox in tonight's Democratic Presidential debate. Tim Russert asked each candidate who they were rooting for in the playoffs - Red Sox or Yankees. (Apparently, Tim gets all his sports news from ESPN and isn't familiar with the fact that there are 28 other teams.)

Obama didn't bite. He said, "I'm a White Sox fan all the way."

He mentioned them in a debate a couple of months ago as well.

Reifert had a nice tidbit in his blog. His child goes to the same school as Obama's daughters. Reifert said he saw Obama dropping off the girls for the first day of school, and he was still wearing his Sox cap. Reifert said something like it was nice to know that even though he was running for higher office he is sticking by his team, regardless of their record.

Noneck
09-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Obama needs new handlers. His response should have been " I'm a White Sox fan so I am hoping both the Yanks and Boston are gone after the 1st rd, like my opponents will be after the 1st primary."

chisoxmike
09-27-2007, 12:36 AM
:supernana:

Gavin
09-27-2007, 12:39 AM
oookay, just saying, he's a politician in safe territory with that question... I'd be more interested to see if he sports a cubs hat in a few weeks.

DumpJerry
09-27-2007, 12:42 AM
oookay, just saying, he's a politician in safe territory with that question... I'd be more interested to see if he sports a cubs hat in a few weeks.
Why would he do that? Martians can't vote here.:rolleyes:

jortafan
09-27-2007, 12:57 AM
Tim Russert is an East Coast tool. There are only two teams in his world. Red Sox and Yankees.

Actually, in Russert's world, football and the NFL are King, and the Buffalo Bills rule supreme.

DSpivack
09-27-2007, 01:46 AM
I would wonder about Hillary, since she actually grew up in the Chicago area, but she's probably going for the Yankees and/or Mets.

I guess Obama didn't root for the MLB team closest to Hawaii as a kid. :redneck

MetroPD
09-27-2007, 04:24 AM
I would wonder about Hillary, since she actually grew up in the Chicago area, but she's probably going for the Yankees and/or Mets.

Of course, she doned each of their hats when she was initially running for office in New York. Politicians for the most part play to their voters fan base. As for Obama sticking to the Sox on a national level, that is good stuff.

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2007, 07:16 AM
Of course, she doned each of their hats when she was initially running for office in New York. Politicians for the most part play to their voters fan base. As for Obama sticking to the Sox on a national level, that is good stuff.

If I remember correctly, Hillary has rooted for the Cubs for most of her life (remember when Sammy Sosa sat next to her during one of Bill's State of the Union speeches?). But she switched her public allegiance to the Yankees when she ran for Senate in New York.

WSox597
09-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Sammy Sosa sat next to her during one of Bill's State of the Union speeches

Gee, I wonder how his English was then? The Secret Service probably kept a close eye on Sosa, knowing he likes to hit women.

soxfanatlanta
09-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Obama needs new handlers. His response should have been " I'm a White Sox fan so I am hoping both the Yanks and Boston are gone after the 1st rd, like my opponents will be after the 1st primary."

He should have Ozzie deliver a speech at the convention if he wins the primary. That would take comedy to a level rarely seen. :smile:

whitesoxwilkes
09-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Actually, in Russert's world, football and the NFL are King, and the Buffalo Bills rule supreme.

That's right. He's about the closest thing us Bills fans have to a famous face.

Myrtle72
09-27-2007, 08:48 AM

I highly doubt that, Obama has made it pretty clear that he's a White Sox fan over the last several years.

Too bad for him that it's a little embaressing to be advertising that right now.

Fenway
09-27-2007, 08:51 AM
That's right. He's about the closest thing us Bills fans have to a famous face.

Russert will moderate the Red Sox Nation presidental debate this morning at BU

Frontman
09-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Why would he do that? Martians can't vote here.:rolleyes:

POTW material there.

Glad to see he's a fan of the team and not jumping across town just to gain votes or support.

IlliniSox4Life
09-27-2007, 09:12 AM
I would love to see him go to a Cubs game wearing a Sox hat when/if they make the playoffs. I could also see him going to a Cubs game and not wearing any hat (if I could get tickets to any playoff game, regardless of the team, I would go).

Viva Medias B's
09-27-2007, 09:14 AM

I guess Obama didn't root for the MLB team closest to Hawaii as a kid. :redneck

During the debate, Hillary indicated that she would have to play both sides of the fence in the event of a Cubs-Yankees World Series.

asindc
09-27-2007, 09:28 AM

Do you have any indication that he would do that? He could have just as easily said, "I'm a Cubs fan all the way," if what you are suggesting is true. After all, they look like they will be in the playoffs this year, and if he really has no true allegiance, why not ride the hot team right now? Point is, there is no good reason why he would say he was a Sox fan and not mentioned the sCrUBs if such was not true.

ondafarm
09-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Gee, I wonder how his English was then? The Secret Service probably kept a close eye on Sosa, knowing he likes to hit women.

Sammy can only hit when he's been using the roids so if the Secret Service seized those, she'd be safe from him.

Hokiesox
09-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Do you have any indication that he would do that? He could have just as easily said, "I'm a Cubs fan all the way," if what you are suggesting is true. After all, they look like they will be in the playoffs this year, and if he really has no true allegiance, why not ride the hot team right now? Point is, there is no good reason why he would say he was a Sox fan and not mentioned the sCrUBs if such was not true.

He's well known as a Sox fan. I've been able to talk White Sox with him on one occasion. His loyalty is pretty firm.

...I don't think he despises the Cubs like we do, however.

voodoochile
09-27-2007, 09:46 AM
He's well known as a Sox fan. I've been able to talk White Sox with him on one occasion. His loyalty is pretty firm.

...I don't think he despises the Cubs like we do, however.

IIRC, he visited Wrigley and refused to don a flubbie cap stating clearly he was a Sox fan then. If he wasn't going to do it then, he's not going to do it now.

Hokiesox
09-27-2007, 09:53 AM
IIRC, he visited Wrigley and refused to don a flubbie cap stating clearly he was a Sox fan then. If he wasn't going to do it then, he's not going to do it now.

I hope you're right, the topic didn't come up when I talked White Sox with him in October, 2005.

skottyj242
09-27-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm pretty sure Obama will pull a Hilary and don a Cubs hat if they go far in the playoffs. I have met him before and he seems like a nice guy though.

lostfan
09-27-2007, 11:05 AM
I hope you're right, the topic didn't come up when I talked White Sox with him in October, 2005.
I don't recall the Cubs existing in October 2005. I don't see what your point is, there's no point in talking about some silly hypothetical team so of course the topic wouldn't come up.

Martinigirl
09-27-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm pretty sure Obama will pull a Hillary and don a Cubs hat if they go far in the playoffs. I have met him before and he seems like a nice guy though.

I seriously doubt that would happen for many reasons, but particularly because in one of the past debates he jokingly called out Richardson for flip flopping on his team allegiances.

And really, if he were going to jump ship, he would have done it last night.

asindc
09-27-2007, 11:55 AM
I seriously doubt that would happen for many reasons, but particularly because in one of the past debates he jokingly called out Richardson for flip flopping on his team allegiances.

And really, if he were going to jump ship, he would have done it last night.

My point exactly. Why wait when the opportunity is ripe now? I don't think he'll say anything disparaging about the Cubs (despite what many on this board would want as "proof"), but I don't think he'll suddenly don their cap after passing on so many "good" opportunities to do so in the past.

skottyj242
09-27-2007, 12:08 PM
My point exactly. Why wait when the opportunity is ripe now? I don't think he'll say anything disparaging about the Cubs (despite what many on this board would want as "proof"), but I don't think he'll suddenly don their cap after passing on so many "good" opportunities to do so in the past.

I was just talking about a photo op and throwing out a first pitch or something. Strong allegience or not to the Sox a politician will never pass up a photo op and positive press unless his last name is Daley.

Martinigirl
09-27-2007, 12:18 PM
I was just talking about a photo op and throwing out a first pitch or something. Strong allegience or not to the Sox a politician will never pass up a photo op and positive press unless his last name is Daley.

I can't remember if Fenway posted this story or a friend from Boston sent it to me, but Obama was speaking at Harvard and someone gave him a Red Sox cap to wear. He declined, saying something like "Thank you but my Sox are White". With the love and adoration of Red Sox Nation/ESPN, there would have been a ton of press generated by him putting on that hat and he didn't.

I just really think that Obama wouldn't do it. And really, I don't think the Cubs would ask him to throw out the first pitch anyway. They have far too many 'famous' Cub fans to choose from, including another presidential candidate. Why would they ask someone who publically and repeatedly identifies himself as a Sox fan?

Nellie_Fox
09-27-2007, 02:52 PM
This thread keeps skating back and forth across the allowable politics line. Enough.