PDA

View Full Version : Twins will look to deal Santana

eastchicagosoxfan
09-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Here's a report indictacting that the Twinkies will look to trade Santana, and his " Nintendo " stuff. Anywhere in the NL is fine with me.Of course with the Twins' luck, they'll get two Santana's in return.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/mlb

FedEx227
09-26-2007, 07:30 PM
I think we may have to get hosed a bit and cut ties with Contreras.

oeo
09-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Here's a report indictacting that the Twinkies will look to trade Santana, and his " Nintendo " stuff. Anywhere in the NL is fine with me.Of course with the Twins' luck, they'll get two Santana's in return.

With their 'luck?' You must mean the fact that he's the best pitcher in baseball.

NardiWasHere
09-26-2007, 10:16 PM
With their 'luck?' You must mean the fact that he's the best pitcher in baseball.

Didn't they trade AJ for Nathan, Liriano, and Bonser?

Ha, on that scale, I wonder what Santana is worth!

WLL1855
09-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Didn't they trade AJ for Nathan, Liriano, and Bonser?

Ha, on that scale, I wonder what Santana is worth!

Terry Ryan is gone so a lopsided trade of that caliber isn't going to happen. I am very curious as to how Liriano bounces back from surgery. He was filthy until he blew out his elbow.

DumpJerry
09-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Terry Ryan is gone so a lopsided trade of that caliber isn't going to happen. I am very curious as to how Liriano bounces back from surgery. He was filthy until he blew out his elbow.
Liriano's pitching style is what blew out his elbow. He'll have to change it, he'll be a different pitcher.

AJ Hellraiser
09-27-2007, 12:35 AM
For some reason I have a recurring nightmare about the Cubs losing out on A-Rod and trading for Santana as a backup plan...

The thing with that is while we are begging him to go to the NL that would be the 1 team where somehow we'd have to face him twice each season I'm sure and it'd be like handing the Cubs 2 games...

Scottiehaswheels
09-27-2007, 12:41 AM
Terry Ryan is gone so a lopsided trade of that caliber isn't going to happen. I am very curious as to how Liriano bounces back from surgery. He was filthy until he blew out his elbow.Terry Ryan really has nothing to do with these trades though? I mean its the Twins scouts that find these guys and realize their potential. Just takes a dumb GM to not realize what they have in their minors to make the deal. Whoever the guy is that replaces Ryan isn't losing the scouts. So a lopsided trade is always possible...

eaganmafia
09-27-2007, 12:44 AM
Terry Ryan really has nothing to do with these trades though? I mean its the Twins scouts that find these guys and realize their potential. Just takes a dumb GM to not realize what they have in their minors to make the deal. Whoever the guy is that replaces Ryan isn't losing the scouts. So a lopsided trade is always possible...

Plus Terry Ryan is still in the organization scouting players, he's just not the GM anymore.

Scottiehaswheels
09-27-2007, 12:51 AM
Plus Terry Ryan is still in the organization scouting players, he's just not the GM anymore.Yes thanks... The other thing about is though is a trade of Santana would include some major league ready talent/+++ prospects... They could be the Jeremy Reed variety or they might not... Regardless, any trade involving Santana is going to be for cheap young talent, thats the only reason he's going to get traded anyways... Unfortunately, I don't think the Twins even bother scouting our farm system, as there isn't much there as it is, so he won't be coming here. :(:

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2007, 06:24 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think the Twins even bother scouting our farm system, as there isn't much there as it is, so he won't be coming here. :(:

Oh, come on now! I know the the Twins won't turn down a package of Broadway, Rogo, McCullough, Terrero, Gonzalez and Owens!
:tongue:

russ99
09-27-2007, 11:56 AM
I seriously doubt the Twins would have any interest to send Santana to the White Sox, especially after we steal away Torii Hunter. :D:

I hope he goes back to the Astros. They need a second top-quality starter and have tons of prospects at the near major league level and decent young players, both hitters and pitchers.

I wonder if the Twins would go for something like Lou Santangelo, Luke Scott, Josh Anderson, Troy Patton, Wandy Rodriguez and Chad Qualls?

Hopefully the Astros consider Pence and Towles untouchable by now.

eaganmafia
09-27-2007, 01:47 PM
I seriously doubt the Twins would have any interest to send Santana to the White Sox, especially after we steal away Torii Hunter. :D:

I hope he goes back to the Astros. They need a second top-quality starter and have tons of prospects at the near major league level and decent young players, both hitters and pitchers.

I wonder if the Twins would go for something like Lou Santangelo, Luke Scott, Josh Anderson, Troy Patton, Wandy Rodriguez and Chad Qualls?

Hopefully the Astros consider Pence and Towles untouchable by now.

No they don't. The Astros farm system is about as low on talent as any team in the league.

WizardsofOzzie
09-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Oh, come on now! I know the the Twins won't turn down a package of Broadway, Rogo, McCullough, Terrero, Gonzalez and Owens!
:tongue:
Throw in BA and we might have a deal there :redneck

FedEx227
09-27-2007, 03:41 PM
No they don't. The Astros farm system is about as low on talent as any team in the league.

Yes and no. The talent WAS there, they traded most of it to get Jason Jennings. But they still have Pence and Scott who are both pretty awesome.

russ99
09-27-2007, 04:26 PM

As far as depth is concerned, you're absolutely correct, plus my trade proposal would entirely wipe them out of legitimate prospects for 2-3 years.

It would be a lot better for the Astros to not trade away the future and rebuild with Pence, Scott, Towles, Gutierrez, Patton and Josh Anderson - who's faster and a better hitter than Willy Taveras, and only a hair lesser defensively.

Also, the only reason the Jennings deal was bad was because of Jennings' horrid performance. Pence effectively replaced Tavarez and Buchholz was a throw-in, despite pretty decent numbers this season. Jason Hirch got hurt and is out for the season.

There's some rumblings that the Astros might offer Jennings arb and see if they can retain him cheap for another year, but Jennings would likely want a fresh start after such a bad season.

ma-gaga
09-28-2007, 12:59 AM
I'll just say the "source" is Charlie Walters, Shooter, of the Pioneer Press. He's a hack. He does this kind of crap all the time. He's right maybe 1 in 20 times. Citing him as a source is terrible. He has no credibility, no reliability, no sense of anything I'd call journalistic integrity. He's full of ****, yet the newspaper gives him a platform of legitimacy. ... IMO, he's one of the reasons why newspapers are failing.

That said, the Twins are stuck. They either sign the dude for $20mm a year and handcuff themselves, or let the best pitcher in baseball walk away. So I guess Shooter might be right (gah, kill me now). But this entire storyline (poor Twins can't afford their best players) stinks of a "problem" that the Twin Cities media are perpetuating. It's negative, it's an easy article to write, it sells papers, and there is a villain that everyone can rail against (cheap owner), but it stinks because it's too simplified, and like all things it's a little more complicated than that.

I believe that the Twins will sign at least two of their core FA's to long term deals. But which ones are a mystery at this point.

SBSoxFan
09-28-2007, 09:18 AM
I believe that the Twins will sign at least two of their core FA's to long term deals. But which ones are a mystery at this point.

Who are their core FA's? Hunter, Santana, Nathan ... who else?

spiffie
09-28-2007, 10:13 AM
I'll just say the "source" is Charlie Walters, Shooter, of the Pioneer Press. He's a hack. He does this kind of crap all the time. He's right maybe 1 in 20 times. Citing him as a source is terrible. He has no credibility, no reliability, no sense of anything I'd call journalistic integrity. He's full of ****, yet the newspaper gives him a platform of legitimacy. ... IMO, he's one of the reasons why newspapers are failing.

That said, the Twins are stuck. They either sign the dude for $20mm a year and handcuff themselves, or let the best pitcher in baseball walk away. So I guess Shooter might be right (gah, kill me now). But this entire storyline (poor Twins can't afford their best players) stinks of a "problem" that the Twin Cities media are perpetuating. It's negative, it's an easy article to write, it sells papers, and there is a villain that everyone can rail against (cheap owner), but it stinks because it's too simplified, and like all things it's a little more complicated than that.

It seems to me like the easiest one to let go is Nathan. The Twins have always been able to plug in another closer when they lose one and not really miss a beat.

Santana is probably too expensive to keep. Plus he seems unhappy with the team.

I'd guess that if they are going to put their money down on anyone they put it on Morneau and Mauer. They'll be expensive but not ridiculously so like Santana would be.

itsnotrequired
09-28-2007, 10:16 AM
I'd guess that if they are going to put their money down on anyone they put it on Morneau and Mauer. They'll be expensive but not ridiculously so like Santana would be.

Morneau and Mauer will not be free agents until AFTER the 2010 season. Mauer is signed through that season and Morneau will not be eligible until then.

They will have to put money towards them anyway as Mauer's contract jumps from $3.75 million for this season to $6.25 million in 2008. It will be $10.5 million in 2009 and $12.5 million in 2010. If Morneau continues as he is, he will get healty raises each year through arbitration.

The Immigrant
09-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Morneau could easily get $10+ million in arbitration this year (Soriano got $10 million in 2006, before Gary Mathews Jr. made more than that). Mauer's salary basically doubles next season and then goes to $10.5 million in 2009. Cuddyer also stands to get a large raise in arbitration, as does Nicky Punto.

The raises to Morneau, Mauer and Cuddyer will pretty much cover the savings from unloading Hunter. I don't see them keeping Santana.

spiffie
09-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Morneau and Mauer will not be free agents until AFTER the 2010 season. Mauer is signed through that season and Morneau will not be eligible until then.

They will have to put money towards them anyway as Mauer's contract jumps from $3.75 million for this season to $6.25 million in 2008. It will be $10.5 million in 2009 and $12.5 million in 2010. If Morneau continues as he is, he will get healty raises each year through arbitration.
That's what I mean...it wouldn't surprise me to see them try to buy out the arb years and go for long-term deals with both of them, especially with the new stadium in the works. I doubt they want to try and open that with none of the group of Nathan, Santana, Hunter, Morneau and Mauer around. That's why I would expect them to do like the Indians did and try and lock them in now rather than try to save a few bucks and risk losing them when they do hit FA.

itsnotrequired
09-28-2007, 10:36 AM
That's what I mean...it wouldn't surprise me to see them try to buy out the arb years and go for long-term deals with both of them, especially with the new stadium in the works. I doubt they want to try and open that with none of the group of Nathan, Santana, Hunter, Morneau and Mauer around. That's why I would expect them to do like the Indians did and try and lock them in now rather than try to save a few bucks and risk losing them when they do hit FA.

They Twins have already bought out Mauer's arbitration years. I see what your saying about buying out Morneau. That is essentially the only way I see the Twins being able to keep him.

INSox56
09-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Liriano's pitching style is what blew out his elbow. He'll have to change it, he'll be a different pitcher.Yep Yep, I said that as soon as he went down. He threw WAYYYYYYYY too many sliders to not get worn down. Either he'll be a different pitcher or he'll go down again.

Back to the thread...I pray that Santana goes to the NL, but they'll get a king's ransom in return. Despite Terry Ryan not being the big guy on the block anymore, I'm sure he'd be an "advisor" really close to those discussions...

Foulke You
09-30-2007, 03:07 PM
I just want Santana out of the AL Central. I don't care where he goes after that. Something tells me that the Twins will find the money to keep Johan. I believe letting Torii Hunter walk as a FA is part of that long term plan towards freeing up the money to sign him. Don't forget, the Twins have a brand new ballpark opening very soon with new luxury suite revenue. They may be more willing to spend than they were in the past.