PDA

View Full Version : Umpire Mike Winters suspended for season

bluestar
09-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Umpire Mike Winters has been suspended by MLB for the remainder of the season for his actions toward Milton Bradley. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3037237)

I am glad to see MLB hold an umpire accountable for this kind of inexcusable behavior.

thedudeabides
09-26-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm glad MLB took action. More and more umps are becoming confrontational these days and seem to be instigating arguments. It's good to see they are being held accountable for their actions.

ilsox7
09-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Now they just need to work on firing CB Buckner.

Fenway
09-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Umpire Mike Winters has been suspended by MLB for the remainder of the season for his actions toward Milton Bradley. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3037237)

I am glad to see MLB hold an umpire accountable for this kind of inexcusable behavior.

It might cause the Padres to miss the playoffs as Bradley never would have been hurt.

I have an awful feeling I know what the word was...

getonbckthr
09-26-2007, 01:34 PM
It might cause the Padres to miss the playoffs as Bradley never would have been hurt.

I have an awful feeling I know what the word was...
Piece Of ****. At least thats what my lip reading eyes think.

PorkChopExpress
09-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Piece Of ****. At least thats what my lip reading eyes think.

That's also what Bradley said he called him in his explanation of the event.

"Your'e gonna throw me out because you called me a piece of ___?" or something to that effect.

thomas35forever
09-26-2007, 01:42 PM
If the Padres miss the playoffs, further action should be taken. There's no place in the game for this type of behavior.

peelwonder
09-26-2007, 02:40 PM
If the Padres miss the playoffs, further action should be taken. There's no place in the game for this type of behavior.

True...but Milton shouldn't have lost his anger so much that he had to be restrained. It's Winter's fault that there was action but MB has some fault in this.

twentywontowin
09-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Who was the umpire that told Earl Weaver "You're not ****ing good either" and "You're gonna be in the Hall of Fame? For what, ****ing up another World Series?"

bluestar
09-26-2007, 03:20 PM
I was a little surprised at MLB's reasoning -- that Winters directed profanity at Bradley. I'm pretty sure I have seen umpires use profanity in confrontations on the field. Or maybe I'm just a lousy lip reader.

PKalltheway
09-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Who was the umpire that told Earl Weaver "You're not ****ing good either" and "You're gonna be in the Hall of Fame? For what, ****ing up another World Series?"
Bill Haller I think? Even though it obviously doesn't say on the video on youtube, I think his name may be deep in the video comments on there.

jackbrohamer
09-26-2007, 03:31 PM

It looks like Bill Haller, and IIRC was from 1980 (after the O's blew the 1979 WS after being up 3 games to 1) but I could be wrong. It's a classic argument, and the Ump's funnier than Weaver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl-4FSRYagc

kevin57
09-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Meh....Umpires jawing players has been part of the game since Day #1. It's part of the romance of baseball.

WLL1855
09-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Meh....Umpires jawing players has been part of the game since Day #1. It's part of the romance of baseball.

True. However I'd love to once see a player turn his back on the ump once he was tossed and fly the finger over his shoulder all the way to dugout and see what happens. I'll bet the ump wouldn't be able to keep it together.

WSox597
09-27-2007, 06:29 AM
I feel that in an ideal world, we wouldn't even know the umpires' names. We're not paying to see them, or hear them. They should just call the game and keep their personalities out of it.

Umpires aren't stars, and they shouldn't pretend they are. They are some of the worst officials in any of the major sports. If there was ever a sport that needed instant replay, MLB is it.

These guys would be overruled several times every single game. Sometimes the calls are so bad, you wonder what game they're watching.

spawn
09-27-2007, 07:38 AM
True...but Milton shouldn't have lost his anger so much that he had to be restrained. It's Winter's fault that there was action but MB has some fault in this.
If Winters doesn't make that comment to Bradley, there would be no reason for Bradley to flip. And that's the thing...Bradley has a history of anger issues. Winters provoked him. That's not what the umpires are paid to do. They are paid to enforce and uphold the rules of the game on the field. They shouldn't be instigating arguments with players, which is exactly what Winters did.

grv1974
09-27-2007, 07:48 AM
Now they just need to work on firing CB Buckner.
Bucknor

peelwonder
09-27-2007, 09:25 AM
If Winters doesn't make that comment to Bradley, there would be no reason for Bradley to flip. And that's the thing...Bradley has a history of anger issues. Winters provoked him. That's not what the umpires are paid to do. They are paid to enforce and uphold the rules of the game on the field. They shouldn't be instigating arguments with players, which is exactly what Winters did.

I'm not arguing with what you said. But MB shouldn't have reacted that way so it's somewhat his fault. If he doesn't throw a temper tantrum then he doesn't blow out his knee.

One thing I've learned from managing people for the last 15 years is that the person who remains calm holds the upper hand.

spawn
09-27-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm not arguing with what you said. But MB shouldn't have reacted that way so it's somewhat his fault. If he doesn't throw a temper tantrum then he doesn't blow out his knee.

One thing I've learned from managing people for the last 15 years is that the person who remains calm holds the upper hand.
From the people that heard what Winters said, he was completely in the wrong. Bradley may have overreacted, but it never should have come to that in the first place. Also, if he does remain calm, Winters is never suspended for baiting him in the first place. I'm glad he threw a tantrum. Maybe now, these umpires that try to interject themselves into games will be held accountable for their actions. It was only a matter of time before this happened.

peelwonder
09-27-2007, 10:38 AM
From the people that heard what Winters said, he was completely in the wrong. Bradley may have overreacted, but it never should have come to that in the first place. Also, if he does remain calm, Winters is never suspended for baiting him in the first place. I'm glad he threw a tantrum. Maybe now, these umpires that try to interject themselves into games will be held accountable for their actions. It was only a matter of time before this happened.

And players never bait umpires?

JohnTucker0814
09-27-2007, 10:44 AM
I feel that in an ideal world, we wouldn't even know the umpires' names. We're not paying to see them, or hear them. They should just call the game and keep their personalities out of it.

Umpires aren't stars, and they shouldn't pretend they are. They are some of the worst officials in any of the major sports. If there was ever a sport that needed instant replay, MLB is it.

These guys would be overruled several times every single game. Sometimes the calls are so bad, you wonder what game they're watching.

Are you kidding? I think these guys on the whole are pretty amazing! How many times have you seen a close play and thought there is no way he was out or safe... then instant replays show the umpire got it right! You're trying to tell me that an NBA or NFL referee are better? It's not very often that the referee in football even gets the spot correct, let alone the right call on pass interference. Basketball??? Don't even get me started about the refs in basketball. They may be the worst. You have to give these guys some credit for how great they are. What they have to look at on a play at first base is amazing. You have to be able to see when the 1st basemen catches the ball and about 6-7 feet away also see when the runner touches the base... at the same time!

spawn
09-27-2007, 10:45 AM
And players never bait umpires?
When a player does, he's generally kicked out of the game. This is the first time I've seen an umpire held accountable for instigating a fight with a player. And again, that's not what they are there for. They are there to call the game, not to show up the players.

peelwonder
09-27-2007, 11:06 AM
When a player does, he's generally kicked out of the game. This is the first time I've seen an umpire held accountable for instigating a fight with a player. And again, that's not what they are there for. They are there to call the game, not to show up the players.

I see what you're saying about the public accountability. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors(knowing mlb, not much) so there should be a way they are accountable when they do something.

My only point was the MB is a complete idiot and shouldn't have acted this way. He wouldn't have blown out his knee if he wasn't so volatile.