PDA

View Full Version : Wrigley sod torn out

thomas35forever
09-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Mark Giangreco wrapped up his sports report tonight by showing the Cubs' ground crew tearing up the field and laying out new sod for the playoffs. How hysterical it would be the Cubs became the Cubs again and the new turf had to suffer through the winter snow before being played on.:tongue:

DumpJerry
09-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Well, this is the right time of year to lay new sod. It's not too hot and there's plenty of time to soak the stuff with water before the winter freeze sets in.

The new grass in The Urinal will be real nice. No wear and tear until April. Plenty of time to take root.

I wouldn't be too surprised to find out if many baseball stadiums replace their grass this time of year.

Steelrod
09-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Most teams replace parts of their sod several times a year. They use a clay base to keep it from lifting up. Beats painting the dirt!

oeo
09-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Mark Giangreco wrapped up his sports report tonight by showing the Cubs' ground crew tearing up the field and laying out new sod for the playoffs. How hysterical it would be the Cubs became the Cubs again and the new turf had to suffer through the winter snow before being played on.:tongue:

I thought Roger Bossard was supposed to put in new sod, complete with his draining system, over the offseason. :dunno:

twentywontowin
09-26-2007, 09:19 AM
I thought Roger Bossard was supposed to put in new sod, complete with his draining system, over the offseason. :dunno:

I think they wanted it in good condition now before the playoffs. Apparently, the Police concerts did a number on them and it was in bad shape.

Fenway
09-26-2007, 09:21 AM
I think they wanted it in good condition now before the playoffs. Apparently, the Police concerts did a number on them and it was in bad shape.

Boston Globe says the Cubs asked the Fenway Park groundskeeper for help as Boston went through this a couple of years ago after the Stones concert. Fenway had to replace the entire outfield for the playoffs and it had trouble holding.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-26-2007, 09:26 AM

There were complaints from other teams about the potholes, hardness and general unevenness of the field due to poor condition. The Cubs attributed it to the Police concert, but of course, not to the field being littered with rocks, garbage, and other assorted goodies their fanbase puts on it.

Bossard is supposed to start the work November 1...and from what I remember seeing, is charging just over $1M for the work.

itsnotrequired
09-26-2007, 09:33 AM

I thought it had been placed on hold, pending the sale of the team.

skottyj242
09-26-2007, 10:30 AM
There were complaints from other teams about the potholes, hardness and general unevenness of the field due to poor condition. The Cubs attributed it to the Police concert, but of course, not to the field being littered with rocks, garbage, and other assorted goodies their fanbase puts on it.

Bossard is supposed to start the work November 1...and from what I remember seeing, is charging just over $1M for the work.

People smuggle rocks into Wrigley just to throw them on the field?

FielderJones
09-26-2007, 11:16 AM
People smuggle rocks into Wrigley just to throw them on the field?

I think he's using the word rock generically. Pieces of fallen concrete could be considered rocks. :tongue:

North Sox Sider
09-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Could this be the next curse?? Goat, Black Cat, Leon Durham, Bartman and now the new sod curse. Stay Tuned!!!

FedEx227
09-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Could this be the next curse?? Goat, Black Cat, Leon Durham, Bartman and now the new sod curse. Stay Tuned!!!

Don't forget Bernie Mac.