PDA

View Full Version : how can the toons be doing so well?

guillen4life13
04-10-2002, 09:54 PM
i don't know, but i'm really amazed at how well the toons seem to be doing. only 1 loss! i mean we were expecting a 3rd place division finish, and while that's by no means outta the question, if they keep playing like this, we don't have much of a chance, quite frankly. if they don't cool down, our team had better heat up, and hit their potential. otherwise: beeeeeeoooooooooooooouuuuuu (explosion).

either we heat up or kick their ***es when we play each other. lawton seems to be doing more than he was asked to do, as do the starting pitchers. but for a team to have lost lofton, gonzalez, justice, alomar, and alomar jr in the last 2 1/2 years to be doing so well... they start to remind me of the mariners, who lost so many big name guys, and are now at the top, or close to it.

but, we'll see what happens

nut_stock
04-10-2002, 10:09 PM
They're probably pissed that so many people have written them off.

baggio202
04-10-2002, 10:30 PM
good pitching in baseball is like having a great 3 point shooting team in basketball....it can make up for alot of other deficeincies

doublem23
04-10-2002, 10:38 PM
Well... The Toons have played...

Minnesota, Toronto, and who? Kansas City?

Yeah, there's World Series competition. :smile:

Spiff
04-10-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Well... The Toons have played...

Minnesota, Toronto, and who? Kansas City?

Yeah, there's World Series competition. :smile:

Anaheim, Detroit, and Minnesota.

But they did beat them.

CubKilla
04-10-2002, 11:00 PM
On Sunday, the Sox were 2 games under .500. Two days later, they're back to .500. Big difference between 2-4 and 4-4. So the Indians are 7-1. So what? They'll experience a losing streak eventually. And the Sox play Cleveland next week. Depending on what happens this weekend, things could be alot different come next week (Hopefully: Sox 9-4, Cleveland 7-7 or something like that) :D:

Pete_SSAC
04-10-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

Anaheim, Detroit, and Minnesota.

But they did beat them.

JM COVER YOUR EYES!!!!!!

Twins are playing HORRIBLE!!! Radke has an ERA that's a little less than 9, and Mays has one over 10. Guzman made to Errors, whihc lead to 6 Un earned runs. Not a team that will be a problem, let alone win the divison.

- Pete

RedPinStripes
04-10-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC

JM COVER YOUR EYES!!!!!!

Twins are playing HORRIBLE!!! Radke has an ERA that's a little less than 9, and Mays has one over 10. Guzman made to Errors, whihc lead to 6 Un earned runs. Not a team that will be a problem, let alone win the divison.

- Pete

:notoons

RedPinStripes
04-11-2002, 12:00 AM
Well that didn't turn out the way i wanted it to.

voodoochile
04-11-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Well that didn't turn out the way i wanted it to.

You looking for something like this?

:pee :notoons

Seriously though...

I think a bunch of the Tribe's success is due to the teams they have played - and catching Minnesota in a slump in Cleveland, but I for one never did buy into the third place Tribe thing. They may not be the team they were last year, but Baez and Sabathia are solid young pitchers and Bartolo can be a serious stud when he is on. Lawton was a real solid pick up for them. They are a deep veteran ballclub.

The Tribe currently has a .368 TEAM OBP (they've taken almost twice as many walks as the Sox). That's just sick. They are a very patient team at the plate and it is paying off in the record column.

It was easy to look at the players they lost and write them off, but the young pitchers are stepping up and the offense is loaded with veterans. Add in that as usual stingy defense and they are a very solid team.

I still think they will finish second, but it isn't like they are going to roll over in April and hand us the division. Sox are going to have to earn it and that is as it should be...

Go Twins tomorrow. Go Royals over the weekend and hopefully by next Thursday, the Sox are in first to stay for several years...

bjmarte
04-11-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

How about this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=80621 :notoons

RedPinStripes
04-11-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Originally posted by bjmarte

How about this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=80621 :notoons

Exactly!

duke of dorwood
04-11-2002, 07:41 AM
Well, their usual injuries havent hit, and Sabathia's pants still fit. Both will eventually change.

ma-gaga
04-11-2002, 09:27 AM
Twins starting pitchers are sucking wind. They'll come around, but it might take a couple of series against Detroit and KC to get their ERA below 7.

The Twinks have actually outhit Cleveland 32-23, but are getting stuck trying to get the runners in. Check out this just sick stat:
4/8 : runners left on base - Twins 13, Indians 0 (the other two games are a lot closer, 8/7, 6/7 respectively) - The Toons have outhomered Minny 6-1.

It's still pretty early in the year, but the Twinks really need to steal this last game. I think they're trying too hard and are playing too tight.

:)

Pete_SSAC
04-11-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Twins starting pitchers are sucking wind. They'll come around, but it might take a couple of series against Detroit and KC to get their ERA below 7.

The Twinks have actually outhit Cleveland 32-23, but are getting stuck trying to get the runners in. Check out this just sick stat:
4/8 : runners left on base - Twins 13, Indians 0 (the other two games are a lot closer, 8/7, 6/7 respectively) - The Toons have outhomered Minny 6-1.

It's still pretty early in the year, but the Twinks really need to steal this last game. I think they're trying too hard and are playing too tight.

So, you mean to tell me that the Twins are the AL's answer to the Scrubs, only they (the Twins) have no starting pitching right now. Interesting...

- Pete

ma-gaga
04-11-2002, 04:04 PM
So, you mean to tell me that the Twins are the AL's answer to the Scrubs

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand the question.

The Twins are hitting pretty good right now. They're averaging 4.9 runs a game. Their starters are looking more like Texas did last year. The Cubs are averaging 2.5 runs a game. I'm sure that the Twins starting pitcher's ERA is going to be above 7 all year long. Cleveland is just kicking the snot out of Minny.

baggio202
04-11-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Well, their usual injuries havent hit, and Sabathia's pants still fit. Both will eventually change.

lmao