View Full Version : TBS announces announcer pairings

Fenway
09-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Here are the announcing teams

Chip Caray - Tony Gwynn
Dick Stockton - Bob Brenly
Ted Robinson - Steve Stone
Don Orsillo - Joe Simpson.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6481118.html (http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6481118.html)

Something has to give here. They can't put Orsillo on the Boston games...and it is doubtful they would put Caray, Brenley or Stone on a Cubs feed. So would Orsillo do the Cubs?

PatK
09-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Why the hell are there 4 current or ex Cubs announcers doing this?

jackbrohamer
09-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Why the hell are there 4 current or ex Cubs announcers doing this?

Good question, Stone's the only one of them who doesn't suck. Plus each pair has a current (or ex-) Cub or Red Cub.

mrfourni
09-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Good question, Stone's the only one of them who doesn't suck. Plus each pair has a current (or ex-) Cub or Red Cub.

I actually don't think Brenly is that bad

soxfanatlanta
09-25-2007, 12:47 PM
I've heard Carey/Gwynn: Although Chip can be very annoying at times, I like Tony. He knows his stuff, and pays attention to the small things in the game.

Fenway
09-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Orsillo just arived at Fenway and he has a Cubs media guide with him.

We asked him "Wrigley Field?"

His reply "If they don't blow it I will be working the Cubs."

MeteorsSox4367
09-25-2007, 01:14 PM
I've heard Tony Gwynn on Padres' games on the Extra Innings package and he is very good as an analyst. Stone is outstanding and Brenly's OK when he doesn't slip back into bad manager's cliches.

Dread Farmer
09-25-2007, 01:29 PM

Bob Brenly is the best of the group. The team they happen to work for be darned.

DSpivack
09-25-2007, 01:45 PM
I've heard Carey/Gwynn: Although Chip can be very annoying at times, I like Tony. He knows his stuff, and pays attention to the small things in the game.

Chip really isn't that bad since he's been with the Braves. More relaxed, no jumping out of the chair, voice crackling calls like with the Cubs.

Dread Farmer
09-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Chip really isn't that bad since he's been with the Braves. More relaxed, no jumping out of the chair, voice crackling calls like with the Cubs.
SWUNG ON BELTED!!!!! (Ball 20 feet short of the warning track)
Chip is terrible and seems like someone punching a time clock. I get the feeling he's the kid that was forced to follow the family tradition. He'd fit in better at the Home Shopping Network selling shoes. GUY SMILEY = CHIP

Fenway
09-25-2007, 02:09 PM
SWUNG ON BELTED!!!!! (Ball 20 feet short of the warning track)
Chip is terrible and seems like someone punching a time clock. I get the feeling he's the kid that was forced to follow the family tradition. He'd fit in better at the Home Shopping Network selling shoes. GUY SMILEY = CHIP

He is better than is dad Skip

Funny line from the late 80's from Skip tho

Golden Girls next here on TBS right after this 5-4-3 double play
(next pitch )

:tongue:

soxfanatlanta
09-25-2007, 03:37 PM
He is better than is dad Skip

Blasphemy!

oeo
09-25-2007, 03:39 PM
I actually don't think Brenly is that bad

He's actually not that bad; he's pretty funny too. Len Kasper brings them both down, though. Squeaky voices don't work in the announcing business, let alone not knowing what the hell you're talking about. Or how he constantly feels the need to throw in jabs at the White Sox.

Fenway
09-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Well, it appears longtime Braves guy Skip Caray was a bit peeved (http://www.ajc.com/wireless/content/sports/braves/stories/2007/09/26/caray_0927.html) about not being tabbed by his network. “It hurt my feelings, and I'm mad at myself for thinking there was any loyalty left in this business,” he said. “I feel like I can do a better job than a tennis announcer or a football-basketball announcer.”

You tell ‘em, Skip. Because obviously Dick Stockton’s postseason baseball resume is lacking.

g0kYD_ISHR0

Caray said he'd like to be voted into baseball's Hall of Fame along with longtime broadcasting partner Pete Van Wieren someday. "But when your employer says you're not good enough to do the playoffs, I don't think that helps your chances."

Brian26
09-27-2007, 09:02 PM
You tell ‘em, Skip. Because obviously Dick Stockton’s postseason baseball resume is lacking.

Honestly, I side with Skip on this one.

I know Stockton's done baseball before, but not that much recently. Stockton's a basketball guy. When I think of Stockton, I think of Hubie Brown along side of him doing the Bulls/Pistons playoffs on CBS in the late 80s and early 90s.

It would be the same situation if TBS picked Gary Thorne do the playoffs. He's done baseball in the past (including a season with the Sox), but he's a hockey guy and that's what he excels at.

Skip Caray is still a decent announcer, although not the flashiest. They should have let him do one of the series.

Brian26
09-27-2007, 09:05 PM
g0kYD_ISHR0

Why did it take MLB and ballpark security until the late 80s to figure out a way to keep idiots from running on the field after a game?