PDA

View Full Version : The Sox Could Have had Babe Ruth?

mrfourni
09-25-2007, 09:30 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keri/owners/070924

ESPN's list of worst owners

I've never heard this before. That would have really changed history

14. Harry Frazee, Boston Red Sox: Single-handedly armed the Yankees' dynasty for years, selling off a number of superstars. Most famously, he sold Babe Ruth to the Bombers, purportedly to finance his musical production of "No, No Nanette." The sale had more to do with a holdout by Ruth and a dispute with commissioner Ban Johnson. Still, Frazee passed on the White Sox's impressive offer of Shoeless Joe Jackson and $60,000, opting for the Yankees' offer of $100,000 in straight cash instead.

Dont Stop Belivn
09-25-2007, 09:34 AM
This makes you think a little. Would Ruth have been involved in the Black Sox Scandal if given the chance? Intresting stuff though

Fenway
09-25-2007, 09:42 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keri/owners/070924

ESPN's list of worst owners

I've never heard this before. That would have really changed history

It is the other way around. Comiskey turned down Frazee in November of 1919.

mrfourni
09-25-2007, 09:47 AM
It is the other way around. Comiskey turned down Frazee in November of 1919.

Interesting. That article sucked anyway. There were a lot of innaccuracies

gregoriop
09-25-2007, 09:47 AM
This makes you think a little. Would Ruth have been involved in the Black Sox Scandal if given the chance? Intresting stuff though

Or would it have even had the chance to happen in the first place?

Fenway
09-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Interesting. That article sucked anyway. There were a lot of innaccuracies

Bill Veeck found the paperwork in a forgotten storeroom 30 years ago

Dont Stop Belivn
09-25-2007, 09:49 AM

just like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop....the world may (and probably will) never know

ilsox7
09-25-2007, 11:13 AM
This is KW's fault.

itsnotrequired
09-25-2007, 11:26 AM
This is KW's fault.

Nah, Reinsdorf. He is so cheap...

chisoxmike
09-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Nah, Reinsdorf. He is so cheap...

They were probably cutting payroll.

jackbrohamer
09-25-2007, 11:33 AM
That article sucked anyway. There were a lot of innaccuracies

Plus it mentions Bill Wirtz; just seeing his name makes me throw up in my mouth.

Hitmen77
09-25-2007, 12:07 PM
They list Mike McCaskey. Is he the owner of the Bears? I thought it was his mom, Virginia. I also thought that Mike is no longer involved in day to day operations of the Bears - so how is he responsible for underpaying Lovie Smith?

eriqjaffe
09-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Wayne Huizenga, Florida Marlins: Oversaw the first World Series title in franchise history in 1997, then rewarded fans a few months later with what was arguably baseball's biggest fire sale since Connie Mack blew up the Philadelphia Athletics in 1933. After selling the team, he compounded fans' misery by retaining ownership of the Marlins, making it nearly impossible for future owners to turn a profit.Wait, he sold the team but retained ownership of them? I'm confused.

IlliniSox4Life
09-25-2007, 12:24 PM
They list Mike McCaskey. Is he the owner of the Bears? I thought it was his mom, Virginia. I also thought that Mike is no longer involved in day to day operations of the Bears - so is responsible for underpaying Lovie Smith?

According to Wikipedia, "Virginia McCaskey, her children, and grandchildren control 80% of the team, and Mrs. McCaskey votes her children's stock as well as her own."

So in essence, Mike might own part of the team, but it's not the majority and he doesn't run it. I also heard something once about Papa Bear making Virginia promise to not give control of the team to Mike under any circumstance, but I don't know if that's anything more than an urban legend.

TommyJohn
09-25-2007, 12:44 PM

The offer was made after the 1919 World Series.

Fenway
09-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Wait, he sold the team but retained ownership of them? I'm confused.

I *think* what he meant was he sold the team but then gave the Marlins a horrific lease at Dolphin Stadium which he owns.

whitem0nkey
09-25-2007, 10:57 PM
The offer was made after the 1919 World Series.

so we offered a player that was banned? or was this before he got banned? and even if it was before, im sure his future was in question.

TDog
09-26-2007, 12:00 AM
so we offered a player that was banned? or was this before he got banned? and even if it was before, im sure his future was in question.

Jackson was suspended with a three games left to go in the 1920 Season, with the White Sox just a half game behind Cleveland, pending his trial on conspiracy charges involving the 1919 World Series. He was found not guilty by a jury and permanently suspended regardless.

At the time of his suspension, Jackson was hitting .382 with 12 home runs. He was 31 years old. The White Sox, with four 20-game winners (three of whom would eventually be suspended by Landis) and a .623 winning percentage, finished two games behind the Indians, their last pennant race until the 1950s.

If Jackson had gone to the Red Sox for Babe Ruth, who in 1920 only hit .376, but hit 54 home runs in 1920, the White Sox probably would have gone to the World Series, even with their team gutted by the late-September suspensions.

This ia a little like "what if what Sox signed Barry Bonds instead of Albert Belle?"

wassagstdu
09-26-2007, 05:54 AM
Aha! Another Curse of the Bambino!

Railsplitter
09-27-2007, 08:28 PM
So in essence, Mike might own part of the team, but it's not the majority and he doesn't run it. I also heard something once about Papa Bear making Virginia promise to not give control of the team to Mike under any circumstance, but I don't know if that's anything more than an urban legend.

It's likely an urban legend. He likely had the team's control put under Ed and Virginia McCaskey names after George Halas, Jr. died unexpectly in 1979. In doing so, it would have avoided hefty inheritance taxes.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2007, 08:46 PM
The Sox also tried hard to get Frank Robinson, Carl Yaztremski and Ken Harrelson in the 1960's and were the only other team outside of the Dodgers, interested in a portly left hander out of Mexico named Fernando Valenzuela.

Lip