PDA

View Full Version : Establishing rapport with Cubs' playoff opponent's fans...

hsnterprize
09-25-2007, 01:16 AM
Hey everyone...

I want you who have been with WSI for a while to think back to 2003. Of course, we all know what happened ON the field with the Cubs and Marlins, but do you remember when we established a rapport with the Marlins' fans through their fansite? Well, we set up quite a "cyber-friendship" with them then, and I'd like to think we can do it again with whomever the Cubs are set up against come playoff time. I think it's pretty safe to say that unless the north siders completely tank these next 6 games, they're going to the playoffs. And what does that mean for us? Not only dealing with obnoxious, arrogant, cocky, and overconfident "we're going all the way...the curse is broken" Cubs fans, but also trying to assure fans of the Cubs' opponents that not all Chicago baseball fans are like that.

What I'm getting at is we should think about doing this year what we did with the Marlins' fans back then...showing them we White Sox fans aren't like the Cubs fans for one, and joining them in cheering for their team. So...does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can approach the fans of the Cubs' opponents and assure them we're not on the Cubbie bandwagon? I already have some ideas, but I'd like to read some of your suggestions.

BTW...if you want to read how we were back in '03, search for the Cubs-Marlins threads from that year, and you'll get a good idea of what I'm talking about. Marlins fans learned from us here at WSI, and from us logging onto their fansite, that the Cubs fans coming into their city were going to be a problem for them, and they should prepare to "stand up" for themselves and their team. You can rest assured the local media will do at least 1 story per station about how many Cubs fans are travelling to another city to "root, root, root for the Cubbies."

itsnotrequired
09-25-2007, 07:07 AM
Why would we have to do any of this?

DumpJerry
09-25-2007, 07:52 AM
If the Cubs make the playoffs, I plan to hunker down in my fallout shelter until the all-clear is sounded.

Jjav829
09-25-2007, 07:59 AM
If the Cubs make the playoffs, I plan to hunker down in my fallout shelter until the all-clear is sounded.

Enjoy those 5 days in your shelter. :smile:

davenicholson
09-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Traveling for work sucks, but if they do make the playoffs, at least I'm not around on the weekdays to suffer the media barrage that (I'm sure) has started already. Since I had to watch Games 3 & 4 of the `05 Series alone in my Virginia hotel room, I figure that missing all of the cubbie hype this year is my karmic reward.

ilsox7
09-25-2007, 08:38 AM
In 2003, I was ready to move to Iceland and I was not even living in Chicago then. Now, it really does not bother me much. I have some very good friends who will be very happy if the Cubs do well. If they do, so be it.

Noneck
09-25-2007, 10:55 AM
"Been there, Done that" is my philosophy. That is if it ever happens.

jenn2080
09-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Hey everyone...

I want you who have been with WSI for a while to think back to 2003. Of course, we all know what happened ON the field with the Cubs and Marlins, but do you remember when we established a rapport with the Marlins' fans through their fansite? Well, we set up quite a "cyber-friendship" with them then, and I'd like to think we can do it again with whomever the Cubs are set up against come playoff time. I think it's pretty safe to say that unless the north siders completely tank these next 6 games, they're going to the playoffs. And what does that mean for us? Not only dealing with obnoxious, arrogant, cocky, and overconfident "we're going all the way...the curse is broken" Cubs fans, but also trying to assure fans of the Cubs' opponents that not all Chicago baseball fans are like that.

And why would any of us do that? I do not care what the Cubs do. I am not going to go out of my way to root for another team because they are playing the Cubs.

What I'm getting at is we should think about doing this year what we did with the Marlins' fans back then...showing them we White Sox fans aren't like the Cubs fans for one, and joining them in cheering for their team. So...does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can approach the fans of the Cubs' opponents and assure them we're not on the Cubbie bandwagon? I already have some ideas, but I'd like to read some of your suggestions.

I am kind of confused. How would White Sox fans contacting another teams message board to tell them we are gonna root against the Cubs is making us better fans?

BTW...if you want to read how we were back in '03, search for the Cubs-Marlins threads from that year, and you'll get a good idea of what I'm talking about. Marlins fans learned from us here at WSI, and from us logging onto their fansite, that the Cubs fans coming into their city were going to be a problem for them, and they should prepare to "stand up" for themselves and their team. You can rest assured the local media will do at least 1 story per station about how many Cubs fans are travelling to another city to "root, root, root for the Cubbies."

Why shouldnt they go and travel to see them in Cinci this weekend to clinch? The Sox fans did it in 2005 and they were out in full force on road trips in 2006. So who cares?

Jerko
09-25-2007, 12:01 PM
IIRC hangar kept posting cub **** on a marlin board and they thought we were all a bunch of goofs. Plus when we played them in florida they were kind of jags from what I remember. I say we worry about ourselves and the hell with the Cubs or whoever they play. We don't need to latch on to some other team's fans.

itsnotrequired
09-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Why shouldnt they go and travel to see them in Cinci this weekend to clinch? The Sox fans did it in 2005 and they were out in full force on road trips in 2006. So who cares?

jen, you are missing the underlying philosophy here:

Sox do it = ok

Cubs do it = bad

Once you accept that, all will be well!

:happybday

jenn2080
09-25-2007, 12:04 PM
jen, you are missing the underlying philosophy here:

Sox do it = ok

Cubs do it = bad

Once you accept that, all will be well!

:happybday

:rolling: I will try drill that it into my brain. I am not sure what I was thinking. I think it will be funny to see some of these Sox fans when the Cubs are inthe playoffs. Their heads are going to explode. Silly people.

It's Time
09-25-2007, 12:11 PM
:rolleyes: Will this ever end?

Dread Farmer
09-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Note: I hope the Cubs lose every game they play.
BUT contacting other teams fans = creepy:?:.
To each their own but..........

jdm2662
09-25-2007, 01:31 PM
For those complaining that they can't aviod the Cubbie media hype, etc, I ask, how come? I have. It's not very hard. You just don't watch/pay attention to it. Why is it so hard to change the channel?

As for the Cubs, I'm not really rooting for them, but if they make a run in the playoffs, oh well. My life will go on either way. Sports are entertainment, and while I do have my alliances and dislikes, in the end, I realize I don't have control of the situation. I may get be riled up for a bit, but in the end, it doesn't affect my every day life. In my book, the 2005 Series win can never be taken away from me. If people don't see that way, oh well. I don't really care what some media members say or think. If I cared, I only be helping them with their ratings.

And yes, I do remember Hangar making an ass of himself on the Marlins board. It gave Sox fans a bad rep. Do we really need that again? I'm sure West will be thrilled with such behavior on this board again...

Sad
09-25-2007, 02:50 PM
:rolleyes: Will this ever end?

:kneeslap:good one... I've been asking that for years... :?:

asindc
09-25-2007, 04:55 PM
As I've said here before and will continue to say, winning cures all. 2005, as far as I'm concerned, makes anything the Cubs do now irrelevant. Now if they happen to win this year...

ws05champs
09-25-2007, 07:00 PM
My wife and I attended the first World Series game in '05. In back of us was some Cubs fan moron wearing an Astros hat who spent the entire game cheering against the Sox in the foulest language I have ever heard in a public place. He said someone gave him the tickets and you can only imagine how much good this guy could have done if he in turn gave these tickets to to some life-long Sox fan who could not afford to get tickets. Yet in his psycho mind he thought cheering against the Sox was the best thing he could do. After witnessing this moron, I feel I could never stoop so low as to publicly cheer against the Cubs. Whatever the Cubs to this year, I say let their fans have their fun. I could not care less as to what they do. We had our fun in '05.

Foulke You
09-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Hey everyone...

I remember that hsnterprize. It was actually kind've fun. Some people are so quick to be cynical on our boards sometimes.:rolleyes: I guess it is just in my fellow Sox fan's nature. For those who weren't around on WSI back in '03, some of those Marlins fans were pretty cool and it was nice to get the perspective from the other side during a playoff series. (Lord knows, we got blanketed in Cub love on the Chicago side) As long as the posters that are invited here behave and vice versa I'd welcome seeing some D'backs fans or Padres fans or whatever stop by and offer their perspective. I definitely enjoy Fenway, Oblong, FloridaTigers, and Ma-Gagas take on their teams. What's wrong with expanding the WSI community as long as the mods don't get overwhelmed with trolls? (Although, something tells me they will be awfully busy when the Cubs do clinch the Central)

Foulke You
09-25-2007, 07:07 PM
After witnessing this moron, I feel I could never stoop so low as to publicly cheer against the Cubs. Whatever the Cubs to this year, I say let their fans have their fun. I could not care less as to what they do. We had our fun in '05.
There is a difference between showing up to a World Series game in person to root against the other team and watching on TV at home and privately rooting against the other team. I plan on doing the latter when the Cubs make it in.

MarySwiss
09-25-2007, 07:10 PM
The Cub fan who lives with me is concentrating all his energies on hoping the Cubs don't meet the D'Backs in the first round. He actually did grow up following both teams, and he went nuts along with me in 2005, but his first loyalty is to the Cubs.

That said, he's not stupid. He says he'll just be happy if they make the playoffs.

Then again, maybe he's just trying to establish a rapport with a likely Cubs playoff opponent's fan. :wink:

ws05champs
09-25-2007, 09:58 PM
There is a difference between showing up to a World Series game in person to root against the other team and watching on TV at home and privately rooting against the other team. I plan on doing the latter when the Cubs make it in.

Exactly. That is why I said I would never publicly cheer against the Cubs. I'm with you on watching them on TV and cheering for the Cubs' opponents while I'm at home (or of course at a Sox game and watching the score board).