PDA

View Full Version : A Survey for Sox Fans in WTS

UserNameBlank
09-24-2007, 08:33 PM
Personally, before coming to WSI I didn't hate the Cubs. I didn't even think about the Cus at all. They just didn't matter to me. But, it seems like every day there is a new Cubs related thread in here that was posted solely for the purposes of rallying and pissing off Sox fans who perviously were not aware of whatever new injustice had occurred in the Chicago sports world. Because of this I know that through time I have grown to hate the Cubs with a passion. I don't like reading these threads, and they usually make me feel like punching a wall even though I'm not a violent person, but I can't help it. I know some will say don't open the threads if you don't want to read them, but it's like a car crash. Negativity attracts attention like flies on ****.

That said, here are a few questions for you:

1. Has the WTS section of WSI changed your perception of the Cubs and/or Cubs fans?

2. If it has changed your perception, has that change been positive or negative? Has the change been severe or slight?

3. When you read something negative about the Sox that is Cubs related, does it annoy you more than it would have if it had not been Cubs related?

4. Do you find yourself compelled to read something that you think will be negative even if you know it will piss you off?

5. Would you be a happier Sox fan if all the "flubsession" threads didn't exist?

6. If a Cub fan does something to piss you off, or if you read/hear/see something Cub related that pisses you off, how likely are you to come to WSI and start a thread about it, even knowing that you could piss of otherwise happy Sox fans in the process?

This should be interesting....

getonbckthr
09-24-2007, 08:45 PM
1. Has the WTS section of WSI changed your perception of the Cubs and/or Cubs fans?
Yes and Yes.
2. If it has changed your perception, has that change been positive or negative? Has the change been severe or slight?
Team wise positively. I find myself liking the actual team more. Fans wise negative. It went from not caring to severe disliking.
3. When you read something negative about the Sox that is Cubs related, does it annoy you more than it would have if it had not been Cubs related?
Anti-Sox is anti-Sox no matter its shape or size.
4. Do you find yourself compelled to read something that you think will be negative even if you know it will piss you off?
No it depends if it appears interesting.
5. Would you be a happier Sox fan if all the "flubsession" threads didn't exist?
Yes it gets old.
6. If a Cub fan does something to piss you off, or if you read/hear/see something Cub related that pisses you off, how likely are you to come to WSI and start a thread about it, even knowing that you could piss of otherwise happy Sox fans in the process?
Not very likely.

chisoxmike
09-24-2007, 08:53 PM

No.

I don't like the negative Sox stories that are false. If they are true, regardless if they "relate" to the Cubs, they dont bother me.

I read mostly everything on WSI concerning the Sox and baseball in general. Usually you can tell what will annoy you just by reading the thread title.

I don't care. I hate the Cubs. Do I wish them more to lose than the Sox win? Of course not. If the Sox are doing well, I could give a **** about the Cubs. But, when the Cubs are "playoff bound" while the Sox are in the ****ter, they will annoy me and I would root against them.

No. I know most people dont care. But, I'll post in Cub-related threads if I want to. If people think that makes someone "flubsessed" then whatever. I know I'm not "flubsessed" But at times like this, I'm hoping more for a Cubs collapse at this point in the season.

MarySwiss
09-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Personally, before coming to WSI I didn't hate the Cubs. I didn't even think about the Cus at all. They just didn't matter to me. But, it seems like every day there is a new Cubs related thread in here that was posted solely for the purposes of rallying and pissing off Sox fans who perviously were not aware of whatever new injustice had occurred in the Chicago sports world. Because of this I know that through time I have grown to hate the Cubs with a passion. I don't like reading these threads, and they usually make me feel like punching a wall even though I'm not a violent person, but I can't help it. I know some will say don't open the threads if you don't want to read them, but it's like a car crash. Negativity attracts attention like flies on ****.

No.

jenn2080
09-24-2007, 09:43 PM
my thoughts....

No not really, but i do care less about it because i think some are a little obsessed for nothing.

not at all

not at all. i do not pay attention to that stuff

nope

not really, because i do not really care, but i also think it is ridiculous to obess about a team we should not care about.

nope because it is nothing that is new worthy.
This should be interesting....

Brian26
09-24-2007, 10:00 PM
my thoughts....

You copied my sig. :mad:

jenn2080
09-24-2007, 10:08 PM
You copied my sig. :mad:

ummm what? :?:

tebman
09-24-2007, 10:14 PM
No...it's just brought it into sharper focus.
I suppose the sharpened focus has been negative.
Sure -- we've been dealing with the desirable-Cubs/undesirable-Sox meme for many years.
Sometimes. It depends on the subject.
No, because then I would have an unfocused sense of annoyance and have a harder time expressing it.
WSI is the only place I would go if I was in that situation.

Understand that there are Cub baseball fans, who usually go back many years, and then there are the frat-boy/trixie/yuppie Cub "fans" who don't care about baseball but use the White Sox as a counterpoint to illustrate the level of their sophistication. The Tribune and WGN feed the second group the way a circus trainer feeds barking seals. The other press and broadcast airheads simply follow the Tribune's lead.

That's what annoys me.

RadioheadRocks
09-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Understand that there are Cub baseball fans, who usually go back many years, and then there are the frat-boy/trixie/yuppie Cub "fans" who don't care about baseball but use the White Sox as a counterpoint to illustrate the level of their sophistication. The Tribune and WGN feed the second group the way a circus trainer feeds barking seals. The other press and broadcast airheads simply follow the Tribune's lead.

That's what annoys me.

Very well said, Tebman... I'd also lump into that category all the bandwagon jumpers who materialized in 1984. True Cub fans will remember how indifferent the fan base was towards Harry Caray in his first two seasons with the team, not to mention how the Wrigley Field upper deck was closed off many times due to the small crowds at that time.

Johnny Mostil
09-24-2007, 10:41 PM

Yes.

Slightly more positive due to some comical complaints here over time (e.g., did the Cubs really win 90 in '98?). Of course, there are other legitimate complaints (e.g., about some media coverage), but I already knew many of those, so they didn't affect my opinion.

Need more context on this, but sometimes yes. If it's, say, neighborhood-related, then the answer is almost definitely yes. If it's a knowledgeable, objective assessment of on-field performance, then the answer is no.

No. Life's too short . . .

I don't read many of them, so I don't much care. Nobody has much complained about the few threads I've ever started at WSI, so I'll return the favor to my fellow posters . . .

I wouldn't start it even if it didn't annoy otherwise happy Sox fans. I've enough problems trying to discuss the Sox intelligently with some very smart fellow fans, much less worrying about Cubdumb.:wink: