PDA

View Full Version : Brighter future Rockies or Brewers.

Dread Farmer
09-24-2007, 06:19 PM
I think Milwaukee relies too much on home runs and is terrible on defense. I think Colorado is going to be a force for years to come.

getonbckthr
09-24-2007, 06:57 PM
I think both are very bright. The problem for Colorado will be Arizona's brightness, SD year in and year out being very good, and LA willing to over spend for talent. Milwaukee on the otherhand in my view only has the Cubs to worry about. Houston in my opinion has a dark future in a result of the Jennings deal. Cincy and Pitt are in trouble for their own reasons. Pitt is just a bad organization, Cincy will struggle for pitching in that park add in the fact Dunn will be gone soon as will Griffey where are they going in the future? The Cardinals sure they have Pujols but beyond that where are they? Carpenter had I believe Tommy John surgery, Wainwright has shown something but after that its bleh. They have OF depth but nothing really great. Rolen is a talent but can't stay healthy. Based on that I would say the Brewers have a brighter future than that of the Rockies.

upperdeckusc
09-24-2007, 07:01 PM
COL doesnt have pitching, and it's still to be seen if they'll dish out the money to keep guys like holliday for the long term. the brewers, with fielder, braun, gallardo, weeks, hardy, and their division, easily take this debate.

PKalltheway
09-24-2007, 07:24 PM
I'll say Milwaukee. Colorado is good, but will their pitching continue to perform at this high of a level? Jeff Francis is good, but what about everybody else? Plus, the Rockies are in a really tough division. The Padres, the Dodgers, and the new and improved Diamondbacks won't make things any easier on them.

The Brewers, on the other hand, have a blistering offense, and if they could just get some good pitching to go with that, they're gonna be really good for years to come. Their only challenge will be with the Cardinals, who usually are perennial contenders, and the Cubs, who seem to be more willing to spend money nowadays (but not always in the wisest way). The Reds, Pirates and Astros aren't that scary at all.

DSpivack
09-24-2007, 07:32 PM
COL doesnt have pitching, and it's still to be seen if they'll dish out the money to keep guys like holliday for the long term. the brewers, with fielder, braun, gallardo, weeks, hardy, and their division, easily take this debate.

Jeff Francis, Aaron Cook, Jason Hirsh, Taylor Buchholz, Ubaldo Jimenez, Franklin Morales, Manuel Corpas, and others would disagree. Their team ERA is 4.36 (ERA+ as a team is 109, while OPS+ is 103; compared to the rest of league, their pitching is better than their hitting).

JB98
09-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Colorado. They have a better pitching staff to go along with their quality hitters. Milwaukee really doesn't have the same foundation of pitching, either in the rotation or the bullpen.

chisoxmike
09-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Rockies, no doubt. They have better, younger pitching.

getonbckthr
09-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Colorado. They have a better pitching staff to go along with their quality hitters. Milwaukee really doesn't have the same foundation of pitching, either in the rotation or the bullpen.

Rockies, no doubt. They have better, younger pitching.
On pure talent I agree but factoring in their divisions.

HomeFish
09-24-2007, 08:14 PM
On pure talent I agree but factoring in their divisions.

The NL West is a really weak division -- probably the weakest in baseball. I know the NL Central is terrible this year, but the Cardinals are consistent contenders, and once the Cubs are under new ownership they will be too.

getonbckthr
09-24-2007, 08:17 PM
The NL West is a really weak division -- probably the weakest in baseball. I know the NL Central is terrible this year, but the Cardinals are consistent contenders, and once the Cubs are under new ownership they will be too.
I might say its the best.

spiffie
09-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Damn the Rockies would have SO much flexibility if it weren't for Helton's deal. He's 25% of their payroll this year and he's on the books through 2011, when he'll be getting 19.1 million. Of course it seems unlikely they'll exercise their 23 million option on him for 2012.

If they could somehow get Helton to agree to a move, and get someone to take on even 60-70% of his deal it would help them immensely.

DumpJerry
09-24-2007, 10:34 PM
As long as Colorado is downright ****ty for the three games they have with us next year, I'm pulling for Milwaukee. The Brew Crew has youth on its side.

WhiteSox5187
09-24-2007, 11:22 PM
I'll say Milwaukee. Colorado is good, but will their pitching continue to perform at this high of a level? Jeff Francis is good, but what about everybody else? Plus, the Rockies are in a really tough division. The Padres, the Dodgers, and the new and improved Diamondbacks won't make things any easier on them.

The Brewers, on the other hand, have a blistering offense, and if they could just get some good pitching to go with that, they're gonna be really good for years to come. Their only challenge will be with the Cardinals, who usually are perennial contenders, and the Cubs, who seem to be more willing to spend money nowadays (but not always in the wisest way). The Reds, Pirates and Astros aren't that scary at all.
I think the Brewers will be a threat to be around for awhile too (if Ben Sheets can stay healthy and they can get a couple of other pitchers they can be a force to be reconned with...the Cubs are interesting. We don't know what their new owners will do (they could be just as cheap or as stupid as the Tribune Co)...I cant help but wonder if this year's team will be a bit like the 1998 team where they managed to string together one magical year and that's it...I mean, Marquis has been pitching way over his head, Lily as never amounted this many innings and they have gotten a LOT of lucky bounces. But we'll see.

KRS1
09-25-2007, 05:16 AM
Pretty good question. Whoever brought up AZ's bright future is right. Add the Dodgers with their endless list of stud 'spects(plus as was mentioned plenty of extra cash) and that NL West is going to have a good battle for a while. AZ not so much with the pitchers though, whereas Milwaukee, LA and the Rockies have a lot of pitching talent in the minors, but all have young hitters succeeding.