PDA

View Full Version : CBS 2 Chicago: "Free Tickets"

Cellview22
09-24-2007, 06:17 PM
I was just watching the local news, and after a series of Cubs stories to lead off their broadcast, they went into another segment with the headline "Free Tickets" with the Sox logo. They laughed their way through the segment, saying 'it's only been 2 years since fans flocked to see the World Series, and now in their final homestand, the White Sox are afraid the stadium will be empty to see 2 last place teams fight for 4th place, so they're offering free tickets starting tomorrow in 14 locations throughout the city".

I think this was a dumb move by the White Sox. The media is going to eat this up, and it will give Cub fans, and the local and national media, more fuel to rip on us Sox fans for years to come. I was embarrassed to see this news; anyone else see it? :redface: What do you think about this move by the Sox?

The Immigrant
09-24-2007, 06:20 PM
I distinctly remember Wrigley being more than half empty during the final homestand last September, even though announced attendance was something like 25,000 (:rolleyes:).

BTW - CBS 2 is the worst station in town, and that's saying something.

It's Time
09-24-2007, 06:21 PM
How is this a way for them to rip Sox fans?:?:

Dread Farmer
09-24-2007, 06:24 PM
If true this is bad for PR and even worse for the people that actually paid for tickets. Not to mention these types of promotions tend to bring in the "let's go get drunk and fight":gulp: crowd that sours or reputation.

Fenway
09-24-2007, 06:27 PM
The CBS station in Boston ran the story saying it is being done by a local phone company.

Cellview22
09-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Wow, I'm surprised Boston picked up the story. Was it spun to look like no one in Chicago cares about the White Sox... or simply that it was a treat for all White Sox fans. I wonder why Boston would report this story. :dunno:

CBS 2 didn't mention anything about a phone company. They never get anything right anyway.

Fenway
09-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Wow, I'm surprised Boston picked up the story. Was it spun to look like no one in Chicago cares about the White Sox... or simply that it was a treat for all White Sox fans. I wonder why Boston would report this story. :dunno:

CBS 2 didn't mention anything about a phone company. They never get anything right anyway.

It was slanted to show how the White Sox have fallen in Chicago

dickallen15
09-24-2007, 06:47 PM
US Cellular stores. Go to one and get free tickets for the KC series starting tomorrow. The series starts tomorrow and that is also when the freebies become available.

Cellview22
09-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Are these upper deck tickets? What about parking? Is parking free? :D:

Should be interesting to see how many freebies are given away, and what the turnout is like for tomorrow night..

ilsox7
09-24-2007, 06:59 PM
It adds some revenue which is fine by me.

oeo
09-24-2007, 07:01 PM
I think this was a dumb move by the White Sox. The media is going to eat this up, and it will give Cub fans, and the local and national media, more fuel to rip on us Sox fans for years to come. I was embarrassed to see this news; anyone else see it? :redface: What do you think about this move by the Sox?

What's embarrassing about it? What about those who cannot afford to take their family to a game because it's so damn expensive? This gives them an opportunity, and at the same time expands the fan base.

BTW, I'm sorry that you were watching CBS2, it must have been hell.

Cellview22
09-24-2007, 07:07 PM
LOL It was hell watching their broadcast. Sometimes I just watch for entertainment purposes to see how far off they are.

I usually try to refrain from turning the channel to 2 though, because in the end they just piss me off.

Mr. White Sox
09-24-2007, 07:15 PM
The Brewers gave away tickets for every seat in the house for the last game of the season two or three years ago. Instead of getting negative publicity, Milwaukee was lauded for its commitment to its fans.

:?:

chisoxmike
09-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Remember the "Should Sox fans get over it? Is holding on to the past bad for your health?" story they did during 2006 SoxFest. :rolleyes:

DSpivack
09-24-2007, 07:24 PM
The Brewers gave away tickets for every seat in the house for the last game of the season two or three years ago. Instead of getting negative publicity, Milwaukee was lauded for its commitment to its fans.

:?:

Was that when they were playing the Cubs and you had to show local residence in order to get a ticket?

doogiec
09-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Even worse, I got an email from the Brewers last week (while they were tied for first) offering me half price tickets for the final homestand.

Cellview22
09-24-2007, 08:35 PM
http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_267180228.html

"Now, the team must be afraid U.S. Cellular Field will be empty for a three-game battle for last place." ..who writes this stuff? This is worse than some of the stuff written by trolls. How can they say "empty"? Didn't they do their research?

chisoxmike
09-24-2007, 08:37 PM

"Now, the team must be afraid U.S. Cellular Field will be empty for a three-game battle for last place." ..who writes this stuff? This is worse than some of the stuff written by trolls. How can they say "empty"? Didn't they do they research?

Why are there "Openly gay celebrities" slideshows attached in the body of the story?

White Sox Giving Away Tickets To Royals Series

Tickets Available At U.S. Cellular Stores Starting Tuesday

http://img.viacomlocalnetworks.com/images_image_347144508 SLIDESHOW: Openly Gay Celebrities (http://cbs2chicago.com/slideshows/photoalbum_slideshow_311103947)
http://img.viacomlocalnetworks.com/images_image_347144508 SLIDESHOW: Before They Were Stars (http://cbs2chicago.com/slideshows/local_slideshow_264122603)

No wonder why they're dead last in local news ratings. **** 'em.

Brian26
09-24-2007, 08:38 PM
I need Susan Carlson and Antonio Mora to make sense of it all for me. I just can't grasp what it means.

Brian26
09-24-2007, 08:41 PM

"Now, the team must be afraid U.S. Cellular Field will be empty for a three-game battle for last place." ..who writes this stuff? This is worse than some of the stuff written by trolls. How can they say "empty"? Didn't they do their research?

The quote that makes no sense is that the Sox are "taking the low road."

This kind of crap makes me really root for the scrubs to get swept in the first round.

Cellview22
09-24-2007, 08:49 PM
I guess it makes sense if you go here http://cbs2chicago.com/bios and click on some of these 'personalities'. If you click on a picture, they all list their favorite sports team on the right. Most of them admit the Cubs are their favorite team.

Etownsox13
09-24-2007, 09:46 PM
The Hawks did this at the end of last year...I don't think we have reached their level

eriqjaffe
09-24-2007, 10:01 PM
The Hawks did this at the end of last year...I don't think we have reached their levelI find it hard to believe that Wirtz gave anything away.

eriqjaffe
09-24-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm also disappointed that the closest U.S. Cellular giving away tickets is the one right by Wrigley Field.

Hitmen77
09-24-2007, 10:17 PM
This story is just the tip of the iceberg for the Cub-love/Sox-bashing/revisionist history about '05 that is in store if the Cubs go far through the playoffs.

Just hope that they get eliminated as quickly as possible.

dakuda
09-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Wonderful. I cannot go to Saturday's game. I will now not be able to sell them. Thanks for diminishing the value of my tickets.
:angry:

RadioheadRocks
09-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Wonderful. I cannot go to Saturday's game. I will now not be able to sell them. Thanks for diminishing the value of my tickets.
:angry:

This is only for the KC series (Tues/Wed/Thurs), so I really don't think you have to worry about the value of your Saturday tix vs. the Tigers diminishing.

hsnterprize
09-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Knowing CuBS 2 (I called them that after the '03 season), they'll probably have a red and blue checkerboard background behind the news desk with the station's logo plastered all over it. And they'll also have the anchors wear blue and red to "show support" for the Cubs. Remember their "orange and blue all the time" studio and segments when the Bears were playing in the Super Bowl? I wrote Robert Feder of the Sun Times about that, and he agreed with me about how cheesy that was. I can only imagine how that station is going to look if/when the Cubs clinch a playoff spot.

dakuda
09-25-2007, 07:03 AM
This is only for the KC series (Tues/Wed/Thurs), so I really don't think you have to worry about the value of your Saturday tix vs. the Tigers diminishing.

Yeah. I posted that a little before I called it a night and then realized that on the way into work this morning. Oops.

chisoxmike
09-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Did anybody get these yet? I'm going to try and go during lunch and grab some.

Jaffar
09-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Did anybody get these yet? I'm going to try and go during lunch and grab some.

I just called and was told the free tickets are for people with US Cellular phone service ONLY! If anybody wants to grab me 3 for Thursday I'd appreciate it! It's my sons 3rd birthday and free tickets were going to be a good excuse to take him to the game.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2007, 01:34 PM
What the WBBM-TV report "forgot" to mention (nudge, nudge, wink, wink...say no more!) is that this promotion is sponsored by U.S. CELLULAR not the White Sox and is limited only to people who HAVE U.S. Cellular phone service.

Someone off the street just can't get tickets...it's a promotion to try to increase business and reward their customers from the company...not a give away by the Sox.

(Me thinks that makes a 'slight' difference in the story...LOL)

How I yern for the days when Bill Kurtis did the news and Johnny Morris, Bruce Roberts and Brent Musberger did the sports.

That was when WBBM-TV was an actual station.

Lip

chisoxmike
09-25-2007, 01:55 PM
I went to the store by my office and they didn't know what I was talking about.

I looked again on the story and only select stores have them. Maybe I'll go over to the store on LaSalle that have them after work. We'll see.

Fenway
09-25-2007, 02:57 PM
How I yern for the days when Bill Kurtis did the news and Johnny Morris, Bruce Roberts and Brent Musberger did the sports.

Lip

They were considered the best local newscast in the country in the late 70's but lost it when Bill Kurtis went to New York in 1982. They have never recovered

from 1978
m61iJ2vmEH8

but at least one night they had White Sox love
from 1990
So Long Comiskey Park - WBBM TV (September 30, 1990) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=vBGdI2Ud4x8)

The Immigrant
09-25-2007, 05:41 PM
f anybody wants to grab me 3 for Thursday I'd appreciate it! It's my sons 3rd birthday and free tickets were going to be a good excuse to take him to the game.

I know it's a day early, but if you're interested in taking your boy you can have my 2 club level seats to tomorrow night's game (for free, of course). PM me if interested.

WLL1855
09-25-2007, 09:12 PM
I find it hard to believe that Wirtz gave anything away.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out the Hawks refused to sell tickets to game. Wirtz is just that evil.

Hitmen77
09-25-2007, 10:25 PM
What the WBBM-TV report "forgot" to mention (nudge, nudge, wink, wink...say no more!) is that this promotion is sponsored by U.S. CELLULAR not the White Sox and is limited only to people who HAVE U.S. Cellular phone service.

Someone off the street just can't get tickets...it's a promotion to try to increase business and reward their customers from the company...not a give away by the Sox.

(Me thinks that makes a 'slight' difference in the story...LOL)

Lip

Typical anti-Sox slant.

Channel 2 blows. They're unbelievable. This is the station that is paying Diann Burns a million dollars a year to read the news because they thought she was the key to Channel 7's success. Notice how Ch. 7's ratings plummeted and Ch. 2's skyrocketed after they hired her?

GoSox2K3
09-26-2007, 08:11 PM
They were considered the best local newscast in the country in the late 70's but lost it when Bill Kurtis went to New York in 1982. They have never recovered

from 1978
m61iJ2vmEH8

but at least one night they had White Sox love
from 1990
So Long Comiskey Park - WBBM TV (September 30, 1990) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=vBGdI2Ud4x8)

Wow, that Channel 2 news clip from '78 was a blast from the past. All you youngsters out there, take note of the weather segment and how there weren't any fancy graphics. Also, no color-coded or time-lapsed radar (though there was nothing to show that night anyway).

Funny thing is, even at the high point of their quality, I'm not sure if Channel 2 was the top rated news in Chicago in the late 70s. IIRC, that honor went to Channel 7's Eyewitness News.