PDA

View Full Version : Undervalue or Overvalue

getonbckthr
09-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Am I undervaluing or overvaluing Jon Garland here.
John Garland to STL for Anthony Reyes and Rick Ankiel.

AJ Hellraiser
09-24-2007, 06:39 PM
I don't even know why I am dignifying this with a response it's that stupid...

You are undervaluing him.. but if you are any kind of fan you already know that...

Reyes can't win games in the NL... imagine how rocked he'd get in the far superior AL..

In the meantime, Ankiel was a flash in the pan when he first came up... he is an all-or-nothing hitter and the Sox don't need anymore of those... plus, there's that whole HGH thing surrounding him now...

Just our of curiosity, was this a trade you just randomly came up with or did it come from somewhere in STL? I only ask cuz I went to school in Missouri and I know how Cardinals fans and STL newspapers can be... they are very capable of producing a trade idea this idiotic..

The Immigrant
09-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Who's John Garland? :wink:

To answer the original question, you may be slightly overvaluing one year's worth of Jon Garland coming off a sub-par season. The fan in me would love it if we could get Enteria or Escobar + Soriano from the Braves for Garland, but that's just not going to happen.

getonbckthr
09-24-2007, 06:48 PM
I don't even know why I am dignifying this with a response it's that stupid...

You are undervaluing him.. but if you are any kind of fan you already know that...

Reyes can't win games in the NL... imagine how rocked he'd get in the far superior AL..

In the meantime, Ankiel was a flash in the pan when he first came up... he is an all-or-nothing hitter and the Sox don't need anymore of those... plus, there's that whole HGH thing surrounding him now...

Just our of curiosity, was this a trade you just randomly came up with or did it come from somewhere in STL? I only ask cuz I went to school in Missouri and I know how Cardinals fans and STL newspapers can be... they are very capable of producing a trade idea this idiotic..
Random reading how STL has lots of outfielders and them planning on moving Reyes as he is out of options. Also factoring in what Immigrant said Garland for 1 season after a mediocre season.

Who's John Garland? :wink:

To answer the original question, you may be slightly overvaluing one year's worth of Jon Garland coming off a sub-par season. The fan in me would love it if we could get Enteria or Escobar + Soriano from the Braves for Garland, but that's just not going to happen.
My name is John so naturally I immediately spell it as such forgetting that there is a "Jon" version as well.

FedEx227
09-24-2007, 06:51 PM
No thanks.

Neither are particularly young or effective.

If I'm going to trade Garland and get prospects I don't want a 26 and 28 year old.

SoxSpeed22
09-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Speaking of, how about Brian Anderson for Anthony Reyes? Does that work?

getonbckthr
09-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Speaking of, how about Brian Anderson for Anthony Reyes? Does that work?
Probably not cause StL has a bunch of OF'rs already not to mention a highly over priced and under achieving Jim Edmonds manning CF for at least next year/

DumpJerry
09-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Am I undervaluing or overvaluing Jon Garland here.
John Garland to STL for Anthony Reyes and Rick Ankiel.
You have it in for Jon, don't ya? If Garland had the run support he deserved, his record would be much, much better. The other day he goes 8 innings complete game, no walks three runs and loses 3-0!

You want to trade him?

Garland, Buehrle and Javy are a GM dream team! If they have a team behind them, you're looking at a combined 55 wins right there.

How would trading Garland improve the team? Don't give me the crap about "he will be a free agent, we can't afford him" because that is what people were saying about Buehrle until we signed him. We can afford Jon Garland. We can't afford to lose him without a new starter who can make up his missing 15-19 wins.

getonbckthr
09-24-2007, 07:29 PM
You have it in for Jon, don't ya? If Garland had the run support he deserved, his record would be much, much better. The other day he goes 8 innings complete game, no walks three runs and loses 3-0!

You want to trade him?

Garland, Buehrle and Javy are a GM dream team! If they have a team behind them, you're looking at a combined 55 wins right there.

How would trading Garland improve the team? Don't give me the crap about "he will be a free agent, we can't afford him" because that is what people were saying about Buehrle until we signed him. We can afford Jon Garland. We can't afford to lose him without a new starter who can make up his missing 15-19 wins.
I don't have it in for Garland. I'm going by his own admission that he will probably get traded this offseason.

Daver
09-24-2007, 07:32 PM
I don't have it in for Garland. I'm going by his own admission that he will probably get traded this offseason.

He said that before he signed his last contract extension too.

getonbckthr
09-24-2007, 07:34 PM
He said that before he signed his last contract extension too.
Well hopefully we get a deal done then that keeps him in a Sox uniform at a reasonable price.

DumpJerry
09-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Buehrle and Dye had their bags packed for Boston this year. Garland was just acknowledging one of the realities of baseball.

UserNameBlank
09-24-2007, 09:43 PM
How about totally unlikely for several reasons?

From the Sox perspective:
1. The Sox have enough projects at 4th and 5th starter as it is.
2. We already have 2 power hitting corner OF's since the Sox are determined to play Fields in LF next year.
3. We have more pressing needs, most notably CF and SS.
4. We need more youth.

From the Cardinals perspective:
1. Ankiel is having a very nice season for them, albeit in only 100+ ABs, and is cheap.
2. The Cards I would imagine aren't going to want expensive Garland because there will be a bunch of reclamation projects on the FA market this year. The Cards always seem to go that route.