PDA

View Full Version : Cubs championship gear hits stores...sort of

chisoxmike
09-24-2007, 09:52 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/571403,CST-NWS-cubsshirts24.article

For Cub fans who want to stock up on postseason gear but hedge their bets because, well, they know better, Darrell Horwitz has got a deal for you.
The South Loop resident is selling T-shirts and caps that say, "World Champs Chicago NL Ballclub." The year, however, is vague. Very vague: "2???"

Is that DumpJerry's brother? :redneck

spiffie
09-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Heh, the other guy who is partnered with him on this is my season ticket partner.

bryPt
09-24-2007, 12:24 PM
The Score's Brian Hanley just congratulated the Cubs on a division title.

chisoxmike
09-24-2007, 12:25 PM
The Score's Brian Hanley just congratulated the Cubs on a division title.

Well,yeah. I think they got that in the bag.

Rocky Soprano
09-24-2007, 12:31 PM

That's the same thing they said back in 03.
"There's no way they can lose with their best two pitchers going back to back!"

TommyJohn
09-24-2007, 12:44 PM
That's the same thing they said back in 03.
"There's no way they can lose with their best two pitchers going back to back!"

Yeah, but 3.5 up with 6 to go? Any collapse would have to be monumental,
and the way they are playing now, forget it.

spiffie
09-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Not only would they have to collapse, but the Brewers would need to win out basically. Even if the Cubs didn't win another game this year, the Brewers would still need to go 4-3 in their last 7 to tie them. If the Cubs can win even just one more stinking game this season they probably lock it up, as the Brew Crew seems unable to play at a level that would scare even our Sox.

oeo
09-24-2007, 12:59 PM

We've seen this story before. The Cubs can and might find a way to blow this.

skottyj242
09-24-2007, 01:09 PM
I want the Padres to win the WC so the Cubs would have to play Arizona. I think that the Cubs can beat the Mets, the worst thing for a non Cubs fan would be Philly winning the Wild Card. At least that's the way I see it.

JermaineDye05
09-24-2007, 01:24 PM
I want the Padres to win the WC so the Cubs would have to play Arizona. I think that the Cubs can beat the Mets, the worst thing for a non Cubs fan would be Philly winning the Wild Card. At least that's the way I see it.

I would just like to see the Padres win the wild card simply because I love their pitching. I think they could probably win the pennant with that rotation and bullpen, even though they don't have much offense. My friend begs to differ since "the Cubs have Lee Ramirez and Soriano to go up against Peavy, Young, and Maddux", I simply had to remind him that the 2005 White Sox had a team BA of .262 and going against the Red Sox who had a team BA nearly 20 points higher and the WS swept them even though they had David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez in the middle of their lineup. I also remember the White Sox pitching holding Vlad to just 1 hit throughout the ALCS giving him an .050 BA and not once was he walked so they were always pitching to him. As we all know pitching and defense wins championships, which is why I like the Padres although I think they'll fall short losing it to the Angels.

Rocky Soprano
09-24-2007, 01:53 PM

Are we doubting the Cubs choking skills?
Hell, I really don't care what they do.

They can make the playoffs and proceed to get spanked.

PatK
09-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Somebody should tell the guy selling those shirts about how disasterously it went for the guy that sold the "19** Champs!" shirts.

WhiteSox5187
09-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Somebody should tell the guy selling those shirts about how disasterously it went for the guy that sold the "19** Champs!" shirts.
He made a killing in 1908!!!!

The frightening thing is that in the playoffs, anything can happen. The best team doesn't always win the WS (The Cards weren't the best team in baseball last year), the Cubs CAN still choke this, but it would be a collapse equal to the 1964 Phillies...I don't think they're going to choke this but I hope that a team like the Mets, the Padres or the D-backs can beat them. The Cubs haven't done very well outside of the NL Central. Lily has never pitched this many innings and could be gassed in October, you never know which Zambrano will show up and I think good hitting teams (like the Mets) would be able to lay off Rich Hill's eye high fastball and be able to draw a lot of walks and beat him silly...at least I hope that's the case.

bryPt
09-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Mark it down right now, if the cubs even make the playoffs, they go nowhere. The only thing that is going to happen is another saga or "chapter" of heartbreak for the most deserving fans on earth.

Deserving as in they deserve heartbreak after heartbreak for eternity.

Rick
09-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Amazing....The Sox actually WIN a World Series (a great accomplishment) and many, many Sox Fans are still threatened by the Cubs. My Sox fan friends all say they can't understand it either....but they admit they are still a bit jealous and irritated by the Cubs.
WHY ?? :?:

(Well I can sort of understand now....NL Central Champs !!)

itsnotrequired
09-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Amazing....The Sox actually WIN a World Series (a great accomplishment) and many, many Sox Fans are still threatened by the Cubs. My Sox fan friends all say they can't understand it either....but they admit they are still a bit jealous and irritated by the Cubs.
WHY ?? :?:

(Well I can sort of understand now....NL Central Champs !!) :supernana:

The Cubs are the championship measuring stick by which all teams are measured, at all times.

:firejauron

SoxSpeed22
09-29-2007, 12:45 AM
The Cubs are the championship measuring stick by which all teams are measured, at all times.

:firejauronIs Wilkes going to need a Buffalo version of that tag pretty soon?